Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What risk does he pose?

E: outside of making money off dumb people that don't understand the rigours of arts academia and criticism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

What risk does he pose?

E: outside of making money off dumb people that don't understand the rigours of arts academia and criticism?

sticks and stones may break my bones but promoting fascism never hurt me

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

sticks and stones may break my bones but promoting fascism never hurt me

Does he? All I've heard him say is poorly constructed criticism of Marxism where he can't actually define Marxism and he has some beef with transgender people that I don't understand either

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

Does he? All I've heard him say is poorly constructed criticism of Marxism where he can't actually define Marxism and he has some beef with transgender people that I don't understand either

He has the full on suite of alt right views, has been influential in policy making, and is generally seen as a more “acceptable” gateway into harder poo poo. Unfortunately he isn’t some ineffectual dweeb.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
He gained his initial popularity with the alt right gamergate and reddit over the anti trans stuff. The whole reason they like and promote him is he's a gateway to their lovely ideas. Like gamergate was having fun targeting some student at a protest against him

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

His Australia trip is only a book tour, I think, no lectures

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I read his book before I learned about him and for the most part I was like "this guy seems to at least think he knows what he's talking about" and then it got to the chapter where it takes a hard right turn into gender absolutism and then I was like "ohhh this guy is a moron"

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
On top of what’s been pointed out, Peterson believes makeup is a sexual provocation and that we need to re-examine whether women should be in the same workplace as men. He’s a hardline reactionary in the trappings of an effete philosopher who’s just asking questions.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
JBP melts down over Disney movies and should be treated with disdain

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

snoremac posted:

On top of what’s been pointed out, Peterson believes makeup is a sexual provocation and that we need to re-examine whether women should be in the same workplace as men. He’s a hardline reactionary in the trappings of an effete philosopher who’s just asking questions.

"...re-examine whether women should be in the same workplace as men."

That is such a superficial interpretation of what he has said. Do you know the context in which he has said that? Come on now.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

huh posted:

That is such a superficial interpretation of what he has said. Do you know the context in which he has said that? Come on now.

(this is :thejoke: for people who don't know how loving insufferable his fans are about telling you you've interpreted JP's chud-adjacent ramblings out of context)

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

28766f69642a2930 posted:

song of the south did nothing wrong

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

High-profile women touted as potential candidates to move in on Broad's vacant safe seat of Mallee

Peta Credlin, the former chief of staff to then-prime minister Tony Abbott, and the Nationals deputy leader Bridget McKenzie emerge as potential candidates to take on the safe seat of Mallee, vacated by embattled MP Andrew Broad.

looooool

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Comstar posted:

What's going on here? Is the LNP now billing their travel costs based on flying in a F35? I think Air Ambulance is cheaper than this.

https://twitter.com/JTHewz/status/1075227725021962241

Bronwyn must be so proud

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

JBP posted:

Why do people get so upset about Jordan Peterson he's just some hacky self help guy

To be honest I just see the initial JP, and even though there's not a B in this case, I just get this Pavlovian response of hatred, not sure why.

Synthbuttrange posted:

High-profile women touted as potential candidates to move in on Broad's vacant safe seat of Mallee

Peta Credlin, the former chief of staff to then-prime minister Tony Abbott, and the Nationals deputy leader Bridget McKenzie emerge as potential candidates to take on the safe seat of Mallee, vacated by embattled MP Andrew Broad.

looooool

hahahahaha, parachuting Credlin into Mallee is quite possibly the worst plan I've ever heard of.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Knobb Manwich posted:

To be honest I just see the initial JP, and even though there's not a B in this case, I just get this Pavlovian response of hatred, not sure why.

hahahahaha, parachuting Credlin into Mallee is quite possibly the worst plan I've ever heard of.

would it kill you to know that he's actually referred to as jordan b. peterson

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Memento posted:

(this is :thejoke: for people who don't know how loving insufferable his fans are about telling you you've interpreted JP's chud-adjacent ramblings out of context)

Part of the fun is that while it's incredibly obvious what horrible poo poo he's implying he never explicitly says it so his followers simultaneously wholeheartedly agree with what he means and also demand you point out exactly when he allegedly said it.

Knobb Manwich posted:

Oh, but there is! His middle name is Bernt

e:f;b

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Knobb Manwich posted:

She was born in wycheproof so she’s just as much a local as Barnaby Joyce is to New England. Just stick an akubra on her and the loving yokels will vote for who they’re told

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

TheMightyHandful posted:

Bronwyn must be so proud

Maybe he crashed the car and wrote it off?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Solemn Sloth posted:

She was born in wycheproof so she’s just as much a local as Barnaby Joyce is to New England. Just stick an akubra on her and the loving yokels will vote for who they’re told
I assume she'd be running as a Lib so she'd be competing against the Nats as well.

Great opportunity for a local independent to have a crack at it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

bell jar posted:

would it kill you to know that he's actually referred to as jordan b. peterson

lmao

Solemn Sloth posted:

they will vote nats because they always do at the nats "stick up for the country"??? Even if they hate Credlin, they hate Greens/Labor Commies more.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

huh posted:

https://twitter.com/sheckyyoungman/status/1072596881807683585

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

quote:

White guy in Melbourne: why do these uppity minorities think fascism is dangerous it never hurt me????

The fact i still hear this poo poo so often in the year of are lord 2018 fucken shocks me every time, somehow. Shut the gently caress up dumb idiot JBP.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

I like the tweet a little further down that calls him "Mediocrates"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GotLag posted:

lmao this is perfect

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GotLag posted:

That's very good

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

snoremac posted:

Thank you.

He also tries to normalise sexual harassment of women in the workplace and blame the victims by basically parroting old school “looked at how she dressed/acted. She was asking for it” bullshit.

Women wearing makeup are being sexually provocative because the only reason women wear makeup is to be more sexually attractive (ignoring the social history and pressures for women around makeup), men shouldn’t be held responsible for their actions because they’re confused about the “rules” regarding male/female social interaction in a professional setting, etc.

He points out facts about men that are true and important (like higher male suicide rates) and that show areas where men are disadvantaged but then extrapolates that into all situations are disadvantageous for men and uses it as an excuse to justify discrimination of others and poor behaviour of men.

Dress all that up in a package of a highly educated authority figure, who speaks in a rational and intelligent manner and you have a guy whose views are given a wide platform. That’s the risk JBP.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Tbh suicide rates in women would probably be higher, but they're just too goddamn busy/tired from dealing with our poo poo all the time.

2c.

Edit: also JP doesn't speak in a rational or intelligent manner, but he tells the smooth brained idiots that hang off his every unintelligible word that he does and that's enough?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

old drawings of snakes boning means ancient people knew about dna. i'm a professor

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Tbh suicide rates in women would probably be higher, but they're just too goddamn busy/tired from dealing with our poo poo all the time.

2c.

Edit: also JP doesn't speak in a rational or intelligent manner, but he tells the smooth brained idiots that hang off his every unintelligible word that he does and that's enough?

He tells them what they want to hear and ties it to the more selfish libertarian aspects of psychology like that makes it moral. That's my take.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

He tells them what they want to hear and ties it to the more selfish libertarian aspects of psychology like that makes it moral. That's my take.

Yes but if you actually listen to any of his "lectures" at length, he uses overcomplicated language that doesn't actually mean anything most of the time. A fair number of the things he's said don't actually make sense. He's the self help version of prog rock - it's needlessly overcomplicated but if you criticise it, its fans will claim you're just don't "get it."

Peterson followers are just this decade's Tool fans.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Yes but if you actually listen to any of his "lectures" at length, he uses overcomplicated language that doesn't actually mean anything most of the time. A fair number of the things he's said don't actually make sense. He's the self help version of prog rock - it's needlessly overcomplicated but if you criticise it, its fans will claim you're just don't "get it."

Yes for sure. I hate hearing him lean into criticism because he doesn't understand the things he is talking about and often uses the layman's understanding of poo poo like deconstruction and I'm like buddy Lacan and Derrida should rise from the grave and double-clothesline you.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

28766f69642a2930 posted:

That's not apparent from the content of all his posts? :vince:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Don Dongington posted:

Women are probably just too busy being murdered by men to commit suicide.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Don Dongington posted:

There's definitely an Emperor's New Clothes vibe from his supporters

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

tbh I melt down over Disney movies all the time as well because I love them. Circle of Life is my favourite song.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

AKA "I'm somewhere towards the autistic side of the the spectrum, and I'm absolutely terrible at interactions with other people, but due to toxic masculinity this doesn't really manifest in my interactions with other males due to the superficial nature of those interactions. But women are too hard for me, and I am very smart, so obviously this is their fault. Here is a diagram."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Don Dongington posted:

Suicide attempts are higher in women, but men have higher success rates because they tend to use more violent methods with a lower survival rate (e.g. shooting in the head vs pill overdose), and tend not to leave notes/crying voicemails that may tip people off before it's too late.