Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
He comes back to us now, at the turn of the tide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Reading the comments, folk's: it's good this time

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Huh that weird beIN sports network you're still not sure if you get or not is at the center of a WTO case brought by Qatar (beIN being a subsidiary of Al Jazeera) against Saudi Arabia; Qatar alleges the Saudis are pirating their signal and rebranding it as "beoutQ" as a weird jab in a long-running complicated political dispute between the two countries.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

AsInHowe posted:

In Detroit, we have the same thing, but for a fifth-division semi-pro team that doesn't actually play in the city of Detroit. It's the weirdest loving thing.

Yeah, the Northern Guard thing is pretty cringeworthy, but not as bad as (and I think I read this) that any chants with swear words are strictly forbidden, especially when directed at Cleveland

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Peanut President posted:

do a lot of soccer teams play in loving baseball stadiums in europe too?

Yeah West Ham :laugh:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah West Ham :laugh:

I found a bass guitar recently in West Ham colors with the crest on it for $200

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Yeah, the Northern Guard thing is pretty cringeworthy, but not as bad as (and I think I read this) that any chants with swear words are strictly forbidden, especially when directed at Cleveland

that's what pisses me off most about US soccer fandom, that it's basically cosplaying as ultras while keeping it "family-friendly"

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Troy Queef posted:

that's what pisses me off most about US soccer fandom, that it's basically cosplaying as ultras while keeping it "family-friendly"

Don't even know how to make a newspaper into a weapon

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

tinstaach posted:

Reading the comments, folk's: it's good this time

They flagged his chopped victory dance as sensitive. All is right with the world.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

It's also why I'm moving away from top flight soccer over in the UK because it's being santised to hell, and a lot of the quaint absurdity is still found in the lower leagues like fancy dress away days, or Grimsby Town fans and their inflatable fish. Hell, I used to follow Slough Town in the dreks of what was the seventh tier of the English pyramid and during one particular drab county cup game, me and my mate Graham decided to chant "CRAB PEOPLE, CRAP PEOPLE, TASTES LIKE CRAB, TALKS LIKE PEOPLE, CRAB PEOPLE" whenever one of our players who had a reputation for only ever passing the ball sideways was in possession, and we did this for the entire game. We also used to break into "spontaneous applause" which was called that and would end when someone would call enough. You have to make it absurd and see what sticks

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I love stuff like when that one low level English team said their Twitter feed had to stop during the match because the guy who runs it got subbed in

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
My favorite English team is FC United Of Manchester.

When some American assholes bought a big stake in ManU in 2005, a bunch of fans decided to form their own club from scratch. It's member-owned and operated with a board of directors and meetings to make decisions on stuff. They've currently climbed their way up to the sixth level of the FA system.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

My favorite English team is FC United Of Manchester.

When some American assholes bought a big stake in ManU in 2005, a bunch of fans decided to form their own club from scratch. It's member-owned and operated with a board of directors and meetings to make decisions on stuff. They've currently climbed their way up to the sixth level of the FA system.

AFC Wimbledon were formed on less tenuous lines, being hosed off that their club was being relocated 60 miles north to the shithole that is Milton Keynes but are currently in League One... which is one division above where MK Dons, the team that their old club became, currently play. Also, I watched AFC Wimbledon paste Slough 9-0 which in club house when the Wimbledon manager was giving a speech one of us yelled "nine lucky goals" and fair play, the Wimbledon fans gave us a hand because we never shut up even as the goals went in. When it's going bad, and you can see it's going bad and you have fun with it, people appreciate it. It was also the first and only time they ever beat us in five meetings if memory serves

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wimbledon moving was amazing because if a US team relocated 60 miles they'd probably just keep the same name and nobody would care, but Wimbledon's relocation was considered such a travesty that it's like spoken of in hushed tones as something that must never happen again

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I tell everybody that Crystal Palace is my favorite soccer team because I've been told their owner wishes he ran an NFL team and runs Crystal Palace as such, with eagles and cheerleaders and whatnot.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Wimbledon moving was amazing because if a US team relocated 60 miles they'd probably just keep the same name and nobody would care, but Wimbledon's relocation was considered such a travesty that it's like spoken of in hushed tones as something that must never happen again

The San Francisco 49ers play in Santa Clara, nicely proving your point.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah, but it's loving Milton Keynes. Milton loving Keynes. A town we continually shun because we tried to grid it like the 'muricans do and put in a fuckload of roundabouts instead

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

skaboomizzy posted:

The San Francisco 49ers play in Santa Clara, nicely proving your point.

That's actually exactly what I was thinking of lol, or that old rumor about Oakland moving to San Jose.

It's not as far but there's also Washington moving from RFK to buttfuck nowhere, Maryland, and the Patriots playing in Foxboro.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Every English club is over 100 years old and tied deeply to the identity of their little towns or cross sections of a big city. If the NFL was only in one region of the country and there were also 70 other professional football teams in said region then people would react the same way to moves as English people do.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah I was gonna say, the entire league covers an area that is roughly the size of like Iowa so I think that changes the perspective a bit.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Also their teams are individual clubs, not franchises

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
England is just the Mel Gibson’s Dad to America’s Mel Gibson

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I think the Ringer's coverage is the pinnacle of bad Americanisms. It excessively combines all the British terminology while obsessing over advanced statistics that no one in soccer media (nor soccer fans) gives a poo poo about. I swear on one podcast (which I quickly turned off) Chris Ryan basically said "they have a tough run of fixtures coming up and if their expected XG stays low the fans will be calling for another sacking."

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Inspector_666 posted:

I tell everybody that Crystal Palace is my favorite soccer team because I've been told their owner wishes he ran an NFL team and runs Crystal Palace as such, with eagles and cheerleaders and whatnot.

All americans should root for Palace, their colors are red white and blue and they have an eagle for their mascot. It's loving perfect! Also they're in the Premier League (don't tell anyone they're getting relegated :ssh:)

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Peanut President posted:

All americans should root for Palace, their colors are red white and blue and they have an eagle for their mascot. It's loving perfect! Also they're in the Premier League (don't tell anyone they're getting relegated :ssh:)

as a fan of a baseball team based in a flyover city that has seen better days, and everyone else in the sports world actively dislikes, it's only natural that when I started watching the Premiership on Fox Sports World I had a soft sport for Leeds

(they're going up, because Marcelo Bielsa is a genius)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Not Atletico Madrid who wear the goddamn American flag?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Peanut President posted:

Pretty sure I saw a Crystal Palace game a few years ago where they had a giant confederate flag in the stands.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

BWV posted:

I swear on one podcast (which I quickly turned off) Chris Ryan basically said "they have a tough run of fixtures coming up and if their expected XG stays low the fans will be calling for another sacking."

xG should be burned to the ground

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
The first and second years of DCFC games were a lot of fun I thought just because it did seem pretty chaotic and unorganized. But then it just got really out of hand with the you can only stand here if you’re a part of this group, need to know all the chants, etc. just let me smoke weed in the stands and heckle college kids. Double lol at the supporters groups meeting up in like Plymouth and then driving down before games who would then unironically chant City Till I Die for 90 straight minutes.

But I do think it’s pretty impressive what the team has been able to accomplish in such a short amount of time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1076194376781627392?s=19

Magary somehow got so drunk that he choked on blood and was intubated for a week.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Magary somehow got so drunk that he choked on blood and was intubated for a week.

They were all eating of Daulerio's flesh and drinking of his blood at the after party, and then things got out of hand.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo :stare:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

wasn't that how Bon Scott went?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Troy Queef posted:

wasn't that how Bon Scott went?

Bon choked on vomit

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is he going to have a gravelly, masculine voice now?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

Is he going to have a gravelly, masculine voice now?

He already has a pretty deep voice. I was shocked when I first heard him because his writing makes me picture an obnoxious and nasally guy.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He deleted it. Story doesn't make a ton of sense unless he was driving and got in an accident.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

dadjokes posted:

The first and second years of DCFC games were a lot of fun I thought just because it did seem pretty chaotic and unorganized. But then it just got really out of hand with the you can only stand here if you’re a part of this group, need to know all the chants, etc. just let me smoke weed in the stands and heckle college kids. Double lol at the supporters groups meeting up in like Plymouth and then driving down before games who would then unironically chant City Till I Die for 90 straight minutes.

But I do think it’s pretty impressive what the team has been able to accomplish in such a short amount of time.

Dcfc has essentially the same supporter base as a Rick and Morty.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Niwrad posted:

He deleted it. Story doesn't make a ton of sense unless he was driving and got in an accident.

Wasn't he in Manhattan? I doubt he was driving drunk in the city if he was visiting for the Deadspin awards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Niwrad posted:

It's definitely possible to vomit violently enough to tear your esophagus but it suggests the possibility of some pretty serious underlying issues too.

If he'd gotten popped for a DUI it would have come out and like Adun said it doesn't really seem all that likely he was driving given the circumstances

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 22, 2018