Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

anilEhilated posted:

Putin already got to that level somewhere around Crimea.

Yeah he crippled the ukrabian navy but moving in on mariupol cripples the entire country

There are 56 industrial enterprises in Mariupol under various plans of ownership. The city's industry is diverse, with heavy industry dominant. Mariupol is home to major steel mills (including some of global importance) and chemical plants; there is also an important seaport and a railroad junction. The largest enterprises are Ilyich Iron and Steel Works, Azovstal, Azovmash Holding, and the Mariupol Sea Trading Port. There are also shipyards, fish canneries, and various educational institutions with studies in metallurgy and science. (Wikipedia)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
There is supposed to be a "major chemical provocation" today.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

aphid_licker posted:

Don't think the next three boats Ukraine loses mark the point where it starts costing Putin something. International reaction to the last incident has been nil, no?

Will the Ukrainian navy will put up a bigger fight in the next incident because they know they are losing their ships and being taken prisoner? Honest question, I have been paying less attention to the situation in Ukraine since 2016ish when my own country went loony.

Seems like I should start catching up on the thread...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Zeno-25 posted:

Will the Ukrainian navy will put up a bigger fight in the next incident because they know they are losing their ships and being taken prisoner? Honest question, I have been paying less attention to the situation in Ukraine since 2016ish when my own country went loony.

Seems like I should start catching up on the thread...

Doubtful ukranian navy is very very small and the fact that russian SF boarded the boats with ease shows that someone making lovely loving wage is going to even attempt to stop a russian boarding party. I mean you have to understand these guys dont make dogshit. So they arent going to die for a few thousand bucks. And besides, russia will turncoat some of these guys abd give them a much more healthy salary just for some intel

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

HorrificExistence posted:

Where? I've been hearing that it might happen again in Syria but that's it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HorrificExistence posted:

Mass borscht consumption with a stiff breeze

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Charliegrs posted:

Where? I've been hearing that it might happen again in Syria but that's it.

It was supposed to happen in Mariupol, according to the head of the DNR. But it didnt! I guess they stopped it!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

https://twitter.com/mhmck/status/1071393432277528582

The Russian bots were quickly dispatched to convince the planet this is all a stunt by Poroshenko to boost his poll numbers before the election.

Truly the French would live in harmony, loving Macron unconditionally if not for a guy with a flag :thunk:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Everyone who tried to use the GJ protests to boost their own party/faction/whatevs pretty much failed.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Truly the French would live in harmony, loving Macron unconditionally if not for a guy with a flag :thunk:

Eddie Izzard was right.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
It's a bit soon for the first Entartete Kunst centennial.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/putin-says-rap-should-be-controlled-russia-not-banned-n948471

quote:

larmed by the growing popularity of rap among Russian youth, President Vladimir Putin wants cultural leaders to devise a means of controlling, rather than banning, the popular music.

"If it is impossible to stop," he said at a St. Petersburg meeting with cultural advisers Saturday, "then we must lead it and direct it."

But Putin said that attempts to ban artists from performing will have an adverse effect and bolster their popularity.

Putin noted that "rap is based on three pillars: sex, drugs and protest." But he is particularly concerned with drug themes prevalent in rap, saying "this is a path to the degradation of the nation."

He said "drug propaganda" is worse than cursing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

For some comedy relief, there are reports from Russia stating that alcohol imports will fail to reach necessary for New Years Eve celebrations level due to shortage of excise marks.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

For some comedy relief, there are reports from Russia stating that alcohol imports will fail to reach necessary for New Years Eve celebrations level due to shortage of excise marks.
So there's gonna be a revolution and/or home-distillation induced mass casualty event?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

for some more comic relief:

https://twitter.com/notesfrompoland/status/1074612635876896768

*polite cough*

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

drat... Should have invested in Eastern Poland.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I'm in favor of splitting the EU in two parts, a WEU with the 15 from before Y2K, and an EEU with 21st century newcomers. With separate budgets.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

That's a novel way of making sure Russia gets their "historically deserved" buffer..

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

drat... Should have invested in Eastern Poland.

Hahaha, man that takes me back.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm honestly surprised that Russia doesn't produce enough to meet their own needs.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

I'm honestly surprised that Russia doesn't produce enough to meet their own needs.

Russia does neither really produce brands that are *cool* to drink, nor is it full of actual quality alcohol production facilities. There is plenty of good, even great poo poo (like Beluga, I got a bottle recently and it's really good at cleaning thermal paste off CPUs), but the average quality [control] level is that of the rock bottom. Besides, it is also just *cool* to drink foreign alcohol.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

I must say that the Polish authorities' choice to turn Poland into "Russia but not quite as bad, smaller, weaker and on the Western side" is, well, it is a strategy of some kind. They have balls.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
What they don't have is brains.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/XSovietNews/status/1075300673183461381

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Just like Americans who crave Mexican food while mistreating and deporting Latinos all the time, huh

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Negrostrike posted:

Just like Americans who crave Mexican food while mistreating and deporting Latinos all the time, huh

No, not really.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Negrostrike posted:

Yeeeeeeah... No.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
But what if Russia opened a base on Mexican soil across the US border, I bet the US would invade too, huh? Checkmate goonies :smuggo:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

orcane posted:

But what if Russia opened a base on Mexican soil across the US border, I bet the US would invade too, huh? Checkmate goonies :smuggo:

Or, like, had some nukes in Cuba. That's not very likely, though, haha.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Paladinus posted:

Admittedly the Bay of Pigs happened before the nukes got there.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Good news BM, the Postal and Syrian media defenses are coming from inside the forums again. Congratulations on your promotion to "fringe media"!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I thought I was MSM, guess it depends on the argument you're trying to make.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Brown Moses posted:

You're an untrained amateur that parrots the MSM talking points on behalf of the CIA.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Brown Moses posted:

No no, that's Postol you're thinking of.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

This is like when you have dudes from like Kentucky complaining about how much California brings down the US lol.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Poland has been doing some really cool tram and other transit projects recently but that's about the only good thing I can say about that country's recent trajectory. Catholic Russia.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Baronjutter posted:

Poland has been doing some really cool tram and other transit projects recently but that's about the only good thing I can say about that country's recent trajectory. Catholic Russia.

Hey do you know who sucks, Putin, and Russia as a whole.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

drilldo squirt posted:

Hey do you know who sucks, Putin, and Russia as a whole.

Only 60% of Russia sucks, actually.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Grape posted:

This is like when you have dudes from like Kentucky complaining about how much California brings down the US lol.

This is incredibly spot-on. And it will be equally, if not more effective in poland.

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

Paladinus posted:

Or, like, uh, had some nukes in Turkey. Oh wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

OFCOM just found Russia Today in violation of impartiality rules 7 times in a six week period, post-Salisbury
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/131159/Issue-369-Broadcast-and-On-Demand-Bulletin.pdf

They're now considering what punishment they'll receive, it'll likely be severe considering the frequency of the violations, and their past violations.