Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
How the hell do you deal with people that take super long breaks? Breaks here are supposed to be 30 minutes, 45 for lunch. There are basically entire crews that take 45+ minute breaks every single loving break. Management doesn't want anything to do with it for a ton of reasons and the people that do it obviously don't think it's an issue and talk about "self policing" it. I'm used to dealing with one or two shitbags that do this, having what feels like the majority of the people I work with do it is going to drive me insane. It shows a complete lack of respect for the people you work with, and with the attitude/culture in this building I'm not at all surprised that it's as common as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

How the hell do you deal with people that take super long breaks? Breaks here are supposed to be 30 minutes, 45 for lunch. There are basically entire crews that take 45+ minute breaks every single loving break. Management doesn't want anything to do with it for a ton of reasons and the people that do it obviously don't think it's an issue and talk about "self policing" it. I'm used to dealing with one or two shitbags that do this, having what feels like the majority of the people I work with do it is going to drive me insane. It shows a complete lack of respect for the people you work with, and with the attitude/culture in this building I'm not at all surprised that it's as common as it is.

FYGM.

We don’t have TOO much trouble with break times, but we do have several employees that think the schedule is their personal plaything, and FILL it with requests within ten minutes of dropping, blocking the gently caress out of everyone under them. Which is to say their entire crew. Every pay period.

We need like, DKP for leave. I am only partially kidding.

We even had an issue recently with employees who have received annual exhaustion letters continuing to fill the schedule with credit requests, so they can continue their game of dial-a-shift.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

FYGM.

We don’t have TOO much trouble with break times, but we do have several employees that think the schedule is their personal plaything, and FILL it with requests within ten minutes of dropping, blocking the gently caress out of everyone under them. Which is to say their entire crew. Every pay period.

We need like, DKP for leave. I am only partially kidding.

We even had an issue recently with employees who have received annual exhaustion letters continuing to fill the schedule with credit requests, so they can continue their game of dial-a-shift.

The Denver Center motto should seriously be "Not my problem, gently caress you". My area is super bad about it and there's absolutely no sense of community or any real teamwork. I'm done with it and am going to start exploring my options. They don't do article 46 bids here so I'm going to ask one of the sups what the process for going to another area is. There's a TMU bid coming up that I'm going to put in for as well. I'm also considering the FLM option... Not exactly what I want to do though, with the biggest draw being no mandatory overtime. There's going to be so much OT this upcoming year that it's not going to be funny. I'm probably going to put in an ERR to Denver tower as well. I talked to some people that work there that said I might have a legitimate shot of getting picked up because of how low I'd be in seniority. I'm more than ok with that. I don't think I necessarily want out of the facility/area yet but I'm not discounting it coming to that. No clue where I'd go.

We have people that do that poo poo with leave too. I've basically completely stopped paying attention to web schedules here and therefore don't notice it and it has honestly made my life better. I do get to hear other people bitch about it though, so I'm still somewhat up to date on who does what.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
Holy poo poo.

At ZHU, The agency is putting out guidance that controllers must broadcast all NOTAM's that impact an a/c's approach or landing, irregardless as to whether the pilot says he has them, and/or doesn't want them.

:birddrugs:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TangoFox posted:

Holy poo poo.

At ZHU, The agency is putting out guidance that controllers must broadcast all NOTAM's that impact an a/c's approach or landing, irregardless as to whether the pilot says he has them, and/or doesn't want them.

Like... literally everything on this page for every arrival into IAH? https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/PilotW...etrievalByICAOs

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TangoFox posted:

Holy poo poo.

We were doing this at ZKC before I left and ZDV also does it after some incidents that they've had over the past few years.

e: This is what led to it at ZDV. There have still been multiple incidents of things like aircraft trying to land on closed runways and poo poo because the pilot didn't have the NOTAM's and the controller didn't read them.

hobbesmaster posted:

Like... literally everything on this page for every arrival into IAH? https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/PilotW...etrievalByICAOs

No, approach or the tower would handle that and their rules are different with recent NOTAMs being broadcast and the like. We wanted to know the same thing when they came down with the ruling at ZKC. Any airport you work an aircraft into does count though.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 20, 2018

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
So ATC Memes has a "Panic vectors" sticker now, is that a real phrased used? Because if so, that's awesome.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

vessbot posted:

So ATC Memes has a "Panic vectors" sticker now, is that a real phrased used? Because if so, that's awesome.

It's generally used in a joking fashion. Right up to the point where you need panic vectors.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
In the terminal world where we actually vector, :smug: it's used a lot to describe any last minute effort to recover a situation that's going down the crapper fast.

That's another term we use a lot. "Going down the crapper/shitter."

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

In the terminal world where we actually vector, :smug:

Do you know how I know you don't work at D01?

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

The Ferret King posted:

In the terminal world where we actually vector, :smug: it's used a lot to describe any last minute effort to recover a situation that's going down the crapper fast.

That's another term we use a lot. "Going down the crapper/shitter."

And they’re characteristically 60 degrees too excessive.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
If you're panic vectoring and NOT issuing 90 degree immediate turns, then you're not panicked enough.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Fired up a new USA jobs account so I can put in for the supe bid that just came out :negative:

The Ferret King posted:

If you're panic vectoring and NOT issuing 90 degree immediate turns, then you're not panicked enough.

The key to this is to use headings. You know what you did, the aircraft in question knows what you did, no one else on frequency knows you just cranked that guy 120 degrees.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Fired up a new USA jobs account so I can put in for the supe bid that just came out :negative:

The downfall of fknlo, a tragedy in three parts. :downs:

fknlo posted:

The key to this is to use headings. You know what you did, the aircraft in question knows what you did, no one else on frequency knows you just cranked that guy 120 degrees.

I’m partial to combining this with large turns on both involved aircraft. If I turn an airplane 90°, it’s going to end up coming together with something totally unrelated, in someone else’s airspace. :(

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

The downfall of fknlo, a tragedy in three parts. :downs:

I did not ever see myself in this position. When I was trying to get out of KC I came to the conclusion that supe bids were going to be my best option due to the staffing situation. I decided I'd rather stay in KC than go that route. And yet, here I am.

I obviously have a million concerns with becoming a supervisor and can't guarantee I'd follow through if offered a position but it really seems like my best option here. I'll be putting in for TMU bids as well. I won't escape the upcoming regular 6 day weeks there but at least I'll be out of my area. I'll be watching for supe bids in the general area as well. If none of that works I'll start looking at ERR's/swaps. There's always some sucker that wants to come here.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Currently on hour 8 of cancellations and EDCTs and this just popped up.

ORD GS ADZV posted:

PROBABILITY OF EXTENSION: MEDIUM IMPACTING CONDITION: WEATHER / SNOW-ICE COMMENTS: PLAN 28 RATE THROUGH 2059Z DUE TO 28C NOT BEING AN OPTION. GDP WE NEED TO BE REVISED, HOWEVER AT 28 RATE THERE IS ENOUGH AIRBORNE FOR 2+ HOURS.

Anyone have the inside scoop on what the hell is going on in ORD? It stopped snowing 5 hours ago and they can barely keep a single runway open. I'm used to the normal ORD winter clusterfucks but this the worst I've seen in the 8 years I've been based there.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I think I might finally get to bid tomorrow or the next day! :toot:

Like a month earlier than last year!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

I think I might finally get to bid tomorrow or the next day! :toot:

Like a month earlier than last year!

Holy poo poo a facility that has a harder time signing an MOU than ZMA?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Holy poo poo a facility that has a harder time signing an MOU than ZMA?

It's apparently like this every single year. No clue what the hold up was this year, but last year it was apparently over what counts as a body for staffing. So we didn't bid until somewhere around January. They had to come up with rules for taking leave before you had bid it.

e: just looked at texts from my area rep and we were still bidding on February 1st :lol:

fknlo fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 1, 2018

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
What exactly needs to be 'kept separated?'

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Vietnamwees posted:

In the context of this thread? Airliners.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Don't let the dots touch.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Vietnamwees posted:

The kids who, at least according to Dexter Holland, are not alright.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

JohnClark posted:

The kids who, at least according to Dexter Holland, are not alright.

This is a better answer.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

quote:

Message from RSW

ZMA as a heads up RSW is going ATC Alert. ATC limited is likely, shortly. Our tower has an extreme odor of what appears to be sewer gases. We have opened up the hatch and trying to mitigate it. Due to the proximity of FMY and RSW you can expect significant in-trail to RSW/FMY as one airport.

ATC zero for fart gas.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Maybe they shouldn't eat so much cabbage.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

its all nice on rice posted:

Maybe they shouldn't eat so much cabbage.

I can't imagine being trapped in a tower cab with some of the absolutely disgusting people I've worked with.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

I can't imagine being trapped in a tower cab with some of the absolutely disgusting people I've worked with.

I sent a text to the usual suspects asking if they were in Fort Myers over the weekend.

If our chairs could talk, they’d never stop screaming.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I'll become a sup as soon as I can do so in pajamas

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Did I see that someone here had worked at AMA? I'm going to start flight training at TDW this spring and I'm curious about procedures with how close together the airports are.

The AFD for TDW shows that the traffic pattern is always to the west, but I'm curious how you would handle clearing into the airspace for a northbound departure. Would you want a call as soon as I'm off the ground at TDW, or would you rather I just stay under 2000 AGL until I clear the shelf?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1075818482321764352

Shutdown incoming! Maybe I'll be one of the people that gets some free leave this time around!

Iucounu posted:

I'll become a sup as soon as I can do so in pajamas

Having to buy actual work clothes would be a definite downside. I am on the referral list with 29 other folks, I imagine I'll find out more over the next couple weeks?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If one of you ends up at ZMA I hereby promise to make your intro to the building absolutely awful. I will make up for this with beer.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fatman1683 posted:

Did I see that someone here had worked at AMA? I'm going to start flight training at TDW this spring and I'm curious about procedures with how close together the airports are.

The AFD for TDW shows that the traffic pattern is always to the west, but I'm curious how you would handle clearing into the airspace for a northbound departure. Would you want a call as soon as I'm off the ground at TDW, or would you rather I just stay under 2000 AGL until I clear the shelf?

I don't work there but it seems pretty straightforward. Not sure about 2000AGL being a thing but you just need to stay under the Charlie shelf until establishing 2 way comms.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Even though there are funds for the weekend, does leave still count as furlough starting tonight? We think we might only have 6-7 people for both shifts tomorrow on the 2nd busiest travel day of the year because a ton of my coworkers are giant pieces of poo poo. The ski country stuff we'll be dealing with just adds to the fun!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Our area rep sent us this regarding furlough:

quote:

As the government shuts down, Air Traffic Control is unaffected until Monday, December 24, 12:00am. Anyone in a leave status on Monday (and until the shutdown ends) will be noted as furloughed. NATCA believes that this shutdown may differ from those in the past in which furloughed employees were given excused absence. There is no guarantee of back pay if you are furloughed. Please take leave at your own risk of potentially not being paid.

On a different note-
There are six of us in training with A sides done, and we we're told we're technically essential. Now we just have to figure out if we come in next week. That printer paper ain't gonna change itself (definitely mission critical in an area that serves one airport with an echo surface area.)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Our area rep sent us this regarding furlough:

On a different note-
There are six of us in training with A sides done, and we we're told we're technically essential. Now we just have to figure out if we come in next week. That printer paper ain't gonna change itself (definitely mission critical in an area that serves one airport with an echo surface area.)

Yeah, I got an email from my old facility rep just now that clarifies that leave is leave until Monday. I'm glad that the dipshits that banged in aren't getting free leave yet.

Not paying furloughed employees would be a massive mistake. All it takes is one time and a ton of people start looking for other jobs.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Ladies and gentlemen, we got them.

"The New York Times posted:

Man and Woman Arrested Over Drone Incursions at Gatwick Airport

LONDON — A 47-year-old man and a 54-year-old woman were arrested on suspicion of wreaking havoc with a drone at Gatwick Airport, Britain’s second-largest air travel hub, forcing hundreds of planes to be grounded or diverted and tens of thousands of holiday travelers to be delayed.

edit: never mind

E4C85D38 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 23, 2018

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Well gently caress, we were told not to come in Monday, and the training manager said he'd call us on Wednesday to give us more info.
AG pay and delayed training is rough.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Well gently caress, we were told not to come in Monday, and the training manager said he'd call us on Wednesday to give us more info.
AG pay and delayed training is rough.

If you have an A-side and they’re telling you you’re furloughed, contact your rep IMMEDIATELY. If they refuse to help you, PM me, or email me at username at the googles.

Operationally certified means you’re essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
From those of us on the other side of the radio good luck you poor* bastards. Nothing says merry Christmas like furloughs.

*Maybe figuratively, maybe literally for some of you.

Edit: I can do the english good.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 23, 2018