Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Like 80% of the top gencon lists didn't even use fighters tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Maybe it was just a local thing then? I checked out when the best list was making a huge deathball and just nuking ships for half their HP with tons of little ships that boosted fighters and were cheap initiative sinks so your one or two serious capital ships always got to move last. Made the game a huge slog and if you didn't build specifically to counter that you got wrecked.

Basically I wasn't interested in a second game about SW fighters and just went back to X-Wing.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I have a feeling Legion will be a slow burner and pick up once Droids and Clones release given the clones have a lot of goodwill from TV shows and the droids are just :3

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Some Numbers posted:

The problem is that Gloomhaven exists and fixed a lot of the problems that the Descent model has.

Isn't that a super expensive kickstarter legacy game

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
It's ultimately less expensive than being nickle and dimed on countless expansions.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

alg posted:

Isn't that a super expensive kickstarter legacy game

There has not be a super wide release and the MSRP is $150+, but the game is the best dungeon crawler I’ve played.

My group has been playing it for a year and we STILL have locked content.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
So I finally got to sit down and play some Resistance last night, and drat is it fun. Played two games with Poe, Nien, and L'ulo, and they're really drat good. I tried probably a bit too hard to use Nien's ability so he died early both games, but the turn I managed to pull a 4k over a debris to land right behind a ship, shed the stress, pattern analyzer for a focus, then target lock a ship at range two so I could fire a fully modded torpedo at it felt really, really good.

Poe is a monster with torps, probably without them too. He's not quite the arc dodger that Soontir is, since he doesn't have the faster straight blue, but Black One makes up for that when you need it to the most. I'd say he flies more like a Fenn, trading the extra dice for raw HP. But you can still get away with gross dodges when you're in close with something and have R4. Definitely carried me through both games.

L'ulo is surprisingly strong. Being able to turn on the 3 dice attacks is really good, rear arc on demand is fantastic. And her ability forces you to make interesting choices while you play; do you try to reposition or rotate and end up stressed and with 2 defense dice, or do you just focus or evade and take the shot on 3 dice? Should you boost to try and turn around or rotate to get the shot now and deal with turning later? Range 2 shot with 2 dice, or boost to range three to take that stress and get an extra die?

List is super fun and seems like a good starting point to experiment from. Plus it should be strong in both Extended and Hyperspace with minimal changes. Mainly swapping to Debris Gambit on Poe and Nien for extended, and possibly going for a deeper bid depending on how points shake out in the update. I never managed to fire the homing missiles with L'ulo, but I feel like for 3 points the threat of them is worth it too scare aces. If only you could fire them backwards like SF's can.

Trip Aces

(68) Poe Dameron
(9) Proton Torpedoes
(2) R4 Astromech
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic
(2) Black One
Points 82

(55) Nien Numb
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic
(5) Pattern Analyzer
(9) Proton Torpedoes
Points 70

(38) L'ulo L'ampar
(1) Heroic
(1) Trick Shot
(3) Homing Missiles
Points 43

Total points: 195

Edit: also Heroic triggered probably 5-6 times in my second game, and twice in the first. I'm so bad at rolling dice y'all. Heroic is the 1-point screw your bad luck card and I love it.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 19, 2018

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

The Gate posted:

So I finally got to sit down and play some Resistance last night, and drat is it fun. Played two games with Poe, Nien, and L'ulo, and they're really drat good. I tried probably a bit too hard to use Nien's ability so he died early both games, but the turn I managed to pull a 4k over a debris to land right behind a ship, shed the stress, pattern analyzer for a focus, then target lock a ship at range two so I could fire a fully modded torpedo at it felt really, really good.

Poe is a monster with torps, probably without them too. He's not quite the arc dodger that Soontir is, since he doesn't have the faster straight blue, but Black One makes up for that when you need it to the most. I'd say he flies more like a Fenn, trading the extra dice for raw HP. But you can still get away with gross dodges when you're in close with something and have R4. Definitely carried me through both games.

L'ulo is surprisingly strong. Being able to turn on the 3 dice attacks is really good, rear arc on demand is fantastic. And her ability forces you to make interesting choices while you play; do you try to reposition or rotate and end up stressed and with 2 defense dice, or do you just focus or evade and take the shot on 3 dice? Should you boost to try and turn around or rotate to get the shot now and deal with turning later? Range 2 shot with 2 dice, or boost to range three to take that stress and get an extra die?

List is super fun and seems like a good starting point to experiment from. Plus it should be strong in both Extended and Hyperspace with minimal changes. Mainly swapping to Debris Gambit on Poe and Nien for extended, and possibly going for a deeper bid depending on how points shake out in the update. I never managed to fire the homing missiles with L'ulo, but I feel like for 3 points the threat of them is worth it too scare aces. If only you could fire them backwards like SF's can.

Trip Aces

(68) Poe Dameron
(9) Proton Torpedoes
(2) R4 Astromech
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic
(2) Black One
Points 82

(55) Nien Numb
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic
(5) Pattern Analyzer
(9) Proton Torpedoes
Points 70

(38) L'ulo L'ampar
(1) Heroic
(1) Trick Shot
(3) Homing Missiles
Points 43

Total points: 195

Edit: also Heroic triggered probably 5-6 times in my second game, and twice in the first. I'm so bad at rolling dice y'all. Heroic is the 1-point screw your bad luck card and I love it.

How are you pulling off the two actions with Nien? I know the pattern analyzer lets you do an action before you check for stress, but I didn't think it let you do an additional action. I could be wrong though.
Also, doing a 4K over a debris get you 2 stress?

Agree on Heroic being great. I have seen people complain that it never triggers...which means you are getting good rolls.....

lazerus06 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 19, 2018

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

lazerus06 posted:

How are you pulling off the two actions with Nien? I know the pattern analyzer lets you do an action before you check for stress, but I didn't think it let you do an additional action. I could be wrong though.

Agree on Heroic being great. I have seen people complain that it never triggers...which means you are getting good rolls.....

Nien clears the stress from his red and is then free to take his normal action after using PA.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Nien clears the stress from his red and is then free to take his normal action after using PA.

Ahh ok, so do the red, pattern analyzer lets you do the action before taking the stress. Take the stress then see if you are within range, remove the stress, then take action as normal.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

lazerus06 posted:

Pattern Analyzer grants you an action before you check for stress. It doesn't stop you from checking for stress, nor does it stop you from doing the Perform Action step.

So if you have a way to clear stress (and Nien does), you can do a red to trigger PA, shed the stress, and still get your normal Perform Action step.

Doing a 4k over a debris does get you two stress (one for the red move, one for the debris). But Nien can shed those with his ability.

In first edition I once shed like 5 stress in one round: T-Rolled (1 stress) over TWO debris fields (2 more stress), Snap Shot + R3-A2 (1 more stress), regular attack + R3-A2 (1 more stress).

Total stress received: 5
Total stress shed: 5

You don't have R3-A2 in second edition, but the concept still works. :)

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

lazerus06 posted:

Ahh ok, so do the red, pattern analyzer lets you do the action before taking the stress. Take the stress then see if you are within range, remove the stress, then take action as normal.

Yup, he's dirty. And since his ability is always on, you dump the stress from the debris or whatever else instantly if there's a ship in range. I think he's better than Ello, but you're also playing for the PA to do that trick so he's a little more expensive.

Other things you can make fit in 200 points:
Poe w/ R4, Ello, both I5 A-Wings. Or Ello, Nien, both A-Wings with a couple upgrades.

All three ace X-Wings with some upgrades and potentially torps on Poe.

Poe, both A-Wings, and an enormous bid if Kylo ends up being the serious boogeyman he might, but then you probably lose to normal lists.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The Gate posted:

Yup, he's dirty. And since his ability is always on, you dump the stress from the debris or whatever else instantly if there's a ship in range. I think he's better than Ello, but you're also playing for the PA to do that trick so he's a little more expensive.

Other things you can make fit in 200 points:
Poe w/ R4, Ello, both I5 A-Wings. Or Ello, Nien, both A-Wings with a couple upgrades.

All three ace X-Wings with some upgrades and potentially torps on Poe.

Poe, both A-Wings, and an enormous bid if Kylo ends up being the serious boogeyman he might, but then you probably lose to normal lists.

Why would you need a huge bid? You just murder kylo with poe.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

thespaceinvader posted:

Why would you need a huge bid? You just murder kylo with poe.

I mean, they have other ships and it's still tough to catch a Kylo that doesn't want to be caught. Quickdraw and Midnight exist and are relevant as well. Squad Leader Null can screw you over as will, though the bid won't help you there. Plus if you out bid then your whole list moves after Kylo which is pretty nice.

But yeah, it's mostly a gimmick list not something serious, and it lacks the firepower to deal with something that's 200 points most likely.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've been experimenting with two different Resistance Lists

Poe with R4, Nien with Pattern, Lulo with Heroic
It's a triple aces list that feels very Imperial in execution. There is plenty of room for other upgrades, and I've been experimenting with a lot of them. Nothing has struck me as particularly good OR bad.

Nien, Ello, Lulo, Tallie, all with Heroic
Quad i5s, all with ample reposition ability. 12 points to use for a bid or other upgrades. Standouts so far include Pattern on Nien and Homing missiles on Tallie. The i5 bid war is a lot less steep in Hyperspace formats, so I've had no issues with doing either or both of those upgrades. This list just murders the hell out of anything that moves before it does. So far only slippery i6s (of which there aren't many) are the only thing that give it pause, but it's really hard for a single i6 to avoid all of the arcs and deal enough damage to stay ahead of the damage race.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

ConfusedUs posted:

I've been experimenting with two different Resistance Lists

Poe with R4, Nien with Pattern, Lulo with Heroic
It's a triple aces list that feels very Imperial in execution. There is plenty of room for other upgrades, and I've been experimenting with a lot of them. Nothing has struck me as particularly good OR bad.

Nien, Ello, Lulo, Tallie, all with Heroic
Quad i5s, all with ample reposition ability. 12 points to use for a bid or other upgrades. Standouts so far include Pattern on Nien and Homing missiles on Tallie. The i5 bid war is a lot less steep in Hyperspace formats, so I've had no issues with doing either or both of those upgrades. This list just murders the hell out of anything that moves before it does. So far only slippery i6s (of which there aren't many) are the only thing that give it pause, but it's really hard for a single i6 to avoid all of the arcs and deal enough damage to stay ahead of the damage race.

Black One on Poe is clutch, I think. Edge in, fire at range 3, next turn you just leave if they try and catch you. Zoom zoom. I really love Torps for him as well since grabbing lock and focus is pretty easy. When you've got that many points left I don't see why not.

L'ulo I tossed trick shot on too, the rear arc makes it a lot more likely to trigger and is a big threat when it happens. If not, hey, it was one whole point.

You can also fit a really thin Poe, Han with Rey Gunner, and a cheap A-Wing into a list. It's right at 200, but you have 2 I6 ships. Might try that out, but I'm not a huge fan of large bases really.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Gate posted:

Black One on Poe is clutch, I think. Edge in, fire at range 3, next turn you just leave if they try and catch you. Zoom zoom. I really love Torps for him as well since grabbing lock and focus is pretty easy. When you've got that many points left I don't see why not.

L'ulo I tossed trick shot on too, the rear arc makes it a lot more likely to trigger and is a big threat when it happens. If not, hey, it was one whole point.

You can also fit a really thin Poe, Han with Rey Gunner, and a cheap A-Wing into a list. It's right at 200, but you have 2 I6 ships. Might try that out, but I'm not a huge fan of large bases really.

In my mind, Black One is stapled to Poe. To the point that I often forget to mention it because I just assume it's built into him. SLAM is stupidly powerful in the right list, even if it's just once. Its usefulness gets amplified by high player skill, far more than most actions.

I was a huge, huge fan of Burnout SLAM in 1e. That little 1-point card won me dozens of games, by either getting into attack position or out of trouble. One of my best friends picked up on it and built a super nasty Rey/Miranda list that was just demolishing the last round of 1e store championships. Burnout SLAM was a key piece of how he made Rey work.

I've been running predator or juke on Lulo but I'm gonna test out trick shot. I hadn't thought of the interaction with the rear arc.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Tomorrow I'm going to be trying out an FO list, here's what I've come up with:

"Quickdraw" (45)
Juke (4)
Pattern Analyzer (5)
Ion Missiles (4)
Special Forces Gunner (10)
Fire-Control System (3)

Lieutenant Dormitz (60)
Biohexacrypt Codes (1)
Hyperspace Tracking Data (2)
Captain Phasma (5)
Ion Cannon (5)

"Midnight" (44)
Juke (4)
Pattern Analyzer (5)

Total: 197

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

The "plan" is to place my whole squad at I6 and as far forward towards the juiciest target available, and then swoop in and nuke/ion it down on round 1. Round 1 double mods (Evade from HTD + Juke and Lock) from at least 2 ships seems like a pretty good alpha strike?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Juke does not work with Midnight's ability.

In 2e, his ability text reads "dice cannot be modified"
Compare to 1e, where his dice said "<the ship that is locked> cannot modify its dice"

The old one let Midnight modify, but not his target. The new one doesn't let anyone modify at all.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
That... is super unfortunate. What's the best talent for Midnight then?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

LanceKing2200 posted:

That... is super unfortunate. What's the best talent for Midnight then?

Fanatical.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

ConfusedUs posted:

Fanatical.

Agree. Fanatical is great on Midnight.

Also a friendly reminder that Biohexacrypt Codes aren't Hyperspace legal. Not a huge deal, but if that's what format your local stuff is going to be using it's worth remembering.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Yeah our store does Extended, so it's no big deal. That does leave me with 5 open points. I could drop FCS on Quickdraw to get the points for Afterburners on Midnight maybe. I don't really see anything else worth taking.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

LanceKing2200 posted:

Tomorrow I'm going to be trying out an FO list, here's what I've come up with:

"Quickdraw" (45)
Juke (4)
Pattern Analyzer (5)
Ion Missiles (4)
Fire-Control System (3)

Lieutenant Dormitz (60)
Biohexacrypt Codes (1)
Captain Phasma (5)
Ion Cannon (5)

"Midnight" (44)
Juke (4)
Pattern Analyzer (5)

Total: 197

The "plan" is to place my whole squad at I6 and as far forward towards the juiciest target available, and then swoop in and nuke/ion it down on round 1. Round 1 double mods (Evade from HTD + Juke and Lock) from at least 2 ships seems like a pretty good alpha strike?

I think you're far better off going for damage than ion. That frees up a lot of points.

"Quickdraw" (45)
Fanatical (2)
Fire-Control System (3)

Lieutenant Dormitz (60)
Biohexacrypt Codes (1)
Captain Phasma (5)
Kylo Ren (11)
Collision Detector (5)

"Midnight" (44)
Fanatical (2)
Advanced Optics (4)

Total: 194

Kylo crew keeps Dormitz relevant after the fight. Collision Detector allows you to make unexpected moves and guarantee his attacks.

Advanced Optics on Midnight allows you to make the most of his piddly 2-dice attacks, especially once Fanatical kicks in. If you have a focus, you get 2 hits on anything that's not double blanks.

Also note that Hyperspace Tracking Data allows you to choose an initiative between 0 and 6, and place at that initiative. That means the highest init you can place at is 5. A bid is pretty important if you want to get the drop on other i5s!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Is that... actually how that works? Because at least in the US, "choose a number between 1-10" would not mean pick 2-9, it would mean pick 1-10. Between is typically inclusive of the numbers on each end.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Gate posted:

Is that... actually how that works? Because at least in the US, "choose a number between 1-10" would not mean pick 2-9, it would mean pick 1-10. Between is typically inclusive of the numbers on each end.

No, that's not how "between" works or is defined.

Sure, people use it that way, but you technically have to say something like "Between 0-10, inclusive" to indicate that 0 and 10 are valid numbers to choose. People are lazy and leave it off in a colloquial fashion, but the meaning is clear if you're going for a strict, black-and-white rules interpretation.

It's the difference between "Choose a number greater than 0 and less than 10" and "Choose a number greater than or equal to 0 and less than or equal to 10"

"Between" with no other qualifiers is the former. And since this game doesn't have partial numbers (like 1.1), valid choices between 0 and 6 are 1-5

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

ConfusedUs posted:

No, that's not how "between" works or is defined.

Sure, people use it that way, but you technically have to say something like "Between 0-10, inclusive" to indicate that 0 and 10 are valid numbers to choose. People are lazy and leave it off in a colloquial fashion, but the meaning is clear if you're going for a strict, black-and-white rules interpretation.

It's the difference between "Choose a number greater than 0 and less than 10" and "Choose a number greater than or equal to 0 and less than or equal to 10"

"Between" with no other qualifiers is the former. And since this game doesn't have partial numbers (like 1.1), valid choices between 0 and 6 are 1-5

It's just an extremely weird way to word it then, because literally nothing else in the game is worded with that kind of super technical language. If they wanted it to be 1-5, why not just say "choose a value, 1 through 5". There's no confusion that way.

Doesn't matter really, and it's not a big deal, I was just honestly surprised that's how it's intended to work. I would never have read it that way on my own.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Gate posted:

I would never have read it that way on my own.

And I never would have read it your way if someone hadn't asked me this exact question at league night a couple weeks ago.

"What does it mean, between 0 and 6? Can I place at 0 and 6, or is it 1-5?"

I can't see it meaning anything other than 1-5, but I have a feeling this is gonna be one of those things that gets argued a lot.

I'm gonna go post it in the Reddit rules thread and see if the rules nerds over there get riled up about it.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
It's typical FFG bad templating. RAI I'd guess they meant 0-6 but RAW I can see it both ways.

:ffgqa:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

ConfusedUs posted:

And I never would have read it your way if someone hadn't asked me this exact question at league night a couple weeks ago.

"What does it mean, between 0 and 6? Can I place at 0 and 6, or is it 1-5?"

I can't see it meaning anything other than 1-5, but I have a feeling this is gonna be one of those things that gets argued a lot.

I'm gonna go post it in the Reddit rules thread and see if the rules nerds over there get riled up about it.

Yeah I mean, it makes sense your way, but with FFG, I uh. Let's just say I think there's room for reasonable doubt. Though they also seem to be following up rules questions with the technically correct answers even in cases where they're probably not intended to work that way (Roark and Han Gunner). But hey, technically they do, so why not.

Speaking of which, I seriously hope they reverse that ruling, otherwise Dash is gonna just get priced at 200 points and never see play again.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I'm pretty sure it supposed to be 0,1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6, if for no other reason its just kind of stupid any other way.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
If I am told to pick between 0 and 6 and I pick 6 and was told no and given that explanation, I would dump your books and take your lunch money.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

lazerus06 posted:

If I am told to pick between 0 and 6 and I pick 6 and was told no and given that explanation, I would dump your books and take your lunch money.

And then I’d write a program to round off all those extra fractions of a penny and deposit them in my account. And mwahahahahahahah

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Fly between casual and not casual.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
They'll probably just add a rule that all instances of "between" are inclusive.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Speaking of Fly Casual, is there a goon discord for it? I didn't realize it was a thing and have been playing all my games in TTS.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

And then I’d write a program to round off all those extra fractions of a penny and deposit them in my account. And mwahahahahahahah

Hopefully I would have killed myself by then.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Rhjamiz posted:

Speaking of Fly Casual, is there a goon discord for it? I didn't realize it was a thing and have been playing all my games in TTS.

What is this Fly Casual, if it isn't TTS? And if there's a Discord for spaceships, I'm so in.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Cobbsprite posted:

What is this Fly Casual, if it isn't TTS? And if there's a Discord for spaceships, I'm so in.

Fly Casual is a custom X-Wing miniatures simulator that lets you play vs AI using HoTAC ai rules, or via internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rhjamiz posted:

Fly Casual is a custom X-Wing miniatures simulator that lets you play vs AI using HoTAC ai rules, or via internet.

Honestly, if it weren't so buggy, it'd be my preferred way to play electronically.

It's almost as fast as Vassal and almost as pretty as TTS--and easier to use than either. It's like the best of both worlds.

It's just got too many quirks for me to use regularly.