Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

No, to trigger the cheevo they have to return empty handed. So steal the items and then weaken the tanks/get a book.

oh, right.

For those with limited time available, in the meantime you could hunt down Santa and take his clothes, so you can get the "kill targets in accidents" challenge as well.

edit: how the hell do players aim the bodies this well?!

https://twitter.com/Hitman/status/1074787216528830464

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Pyromancer posted:

It does, if Maelstrom is out it won't work, as you said the prompt to use phone won't appear, because that call triggers meeting of whoever is left with Maelstrom

Ah, there it is. I killed the Maelstrom already.

Thanks all!

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 19, 2018

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I made a post on Hitmanforum detailing audio lures and how they work (or don't). Might be interesting to some folks looking to find some saucy new exploits. I'm definitely going to find a situation where I can turn a nosy NPC around to face a wall for the rest of their lives, just need a good idea for it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Speaking of Mumbai, that was one of the easier Master difficulty SASOs for me. I just set it up so The Kashmarin killed two of the targets, and then I think I took out The Maelstrom by poisoning the wine when you make him go visit his secret girlfriend.

No direct action or body hiding required. Was nice.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

where the red fern gropes posted:

i looked at a text guide for holiday hoarder locations and santa route rather than watch a video, takes about 30 minutes all up

Got a link for this? Some things are just better as text

also thanks a lot for the new intro skip file!

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Finally finished the last mission.

Man, I really wish there was a challenge for murdering everyone on the island except for the service staff. I want a reward for what my second pass through the level will be like.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

these are the names of the home alone thieves ftr

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Marv also turns on a lot of sinks. Because the Wet Bandits!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think he might go for the fireworks remote before the knife so not positive about that order

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Thank gently caress I didn't do this mission is Season 1, I would have been pissed off by it being recycled.

I did the loot like this:
AV guy start, grabbed the remote
Then got the knife, then closed the small door and shanked the staff guy there, then coined and shanked a bodyguard for the suit
Straight to the basement, to grab the apricot and the coconut right from under the thief's nose.
Up one floor for a big loop getting the shuriken, the axe, the toy tank and the cannonball.
Up to the third floor, turning away guys at a major stairwell, because pipes take too much time and I don't know any other ways. I got compromised at this point.
Then some speed sneaking in the attic, literally racing a thief around two enforcers for a bust, then the sabre, then the mike, then the cowboy bust.

Then back to the basement to place a propane tank or two on the rag in the wine tasting room. The tanks are in a barrel room close to it.
Waited for them to group and start making disappointed noises, then shot the tank twice.

Ho! Ho! Ho!

Is it me, or has closing open doors become more fussy about distance and camera angle?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Super No Vacancy posted:

i think he might go for the fireworks remote before the knife so not positive about that order

He went for the remote first in my run too.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is there a way you're "supposed" to kill Dawood in the Picture Perfect mission story? Usually when you get to the end of a story, an opportunity will present itself, or there will be a really obvious accident you can cause, but this one just sort of ends with the three of you on the top floor of his building. I just knocked out his guard and threw him off the building, but it feels like I'm missing something.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Lester Shy posted:

Is there a way you're "supposed" to kill Dawood in the Picture Perfect mission story? Usually when you get to the end of a story, an opportunity will present itself, or there will be a really obvious accident you can cause, but this one just sort of ends with the three of you on the top floor of his building. I just knocked out his guard and threw him off the building, but it feels like I'm missing something.

I did that one twice and the second time he walked over the edge behind that scaffolding. Not really sure what triggered him moving over there.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lester Shy posted:

If you walk towards where the fire ax is, he'll follow you and then turn around to stand on the ledge, perfectly out of view of his guards.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

First time I put together a contract that wasn't purely for completing a challenge, figured I might as well post it for anyone interested.

I'll add that I originally had this so you had to kill each mechanic while disguised as the previous mechanic, but I figured that'd limit how you could complete this too much. So now it's straight five accidents, on one mechanic in each garage, no pacifications.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I almost had a fun idea, and then the game locked up.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Ever since the last patch every time I go to the save screen the game hard locks. Googling around it seems people have had similar problems, but not as bad as mine is now. This really sucks. I tried verifying game integrity but that did nothing.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
How does collecting the Holiday items work? Do you have to carry them all because you can't carry both the axe and the saber, right? My counter goes backwards when I'm trying to collect all the items.

Edit: My game must be bugged because I got all 12 items but it only says I got 11/12. I got screwed by the counter in Whittleton Creek too.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 19, 2018

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Lester Shy posted:

The Fan works. Don't remember if it is a story mission or not but I think it is. Wait for the actress to storm off and he'll be alone in its kill range. Blow that fucker away.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

nexus6 posted:

How does collecting the Holiday items work? Do you have to carry them all because you can't carry both the axe and the saber, right? My counter goes backwards when I'm trying to collect all the items.
You do have to carry all of them for the challenge, 47 can holster the saber on his back and carry the axe to get all 12 on him at the same time. After that you're safe to drop the saber and axe if you want to combine killing the targets with the propane tanks as Santa for 2 of the other challenges.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Smart Car posted:

You do have to carry all of them for the challenge, 47 can holster the saber on his back and carry the axe to get all 12 on him at the same time. After that you're safe to drop the saber and axe if you want to combine killing the targets with the propane tanks as Santa for 2 of the other challenges.

Turns out I had to go back where the axe dropped and pick it back up.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

nexus6 posted:

Turns out I had to go back where the axe dropped and pick it back up.

Yeah, you have to have all 12 items on you for it to unlock.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nice Van My Man posted:

Ever since the last patch every time I go to the save screen the game hard locks. Googling around it seems people have had similar problems, but not as bad as mine is now. This really sucks. I tried verifying game integrity but that did nothing.

The latest patch tried to fix some problems with loading messing up plot stuff and it seems to have adversely affected the stability of the load/save screen. That's my guess as to the cause. Hopefully they work out how to fix the load/save stuff without breaking loading and saving.

You do have it really bad, though, that sucks. I've had it happen once or twice since, but it's worked more often than not.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I genuinely love this game to death except for everything related to Always Online, which just causes a lot of problems for pretty much no benefit.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

qbert posted:

I genuinely love this game to death except for everything related to Always Online, which just causes a lot of problems for pretty much no benefit.

I would add timed content to that - I've already griped about the Holiday Hoarders challenge and I cheesed that from a YouTube video. I really prefer taking my time and exploring these levels, not 'you must complete this in a set time or it's over'. Particularly ETs, at least I can go back and play around on the holiday map now (for a while) but with the Sean Bean mission I knew I had one chance and one chance only to get SA so it really discouraged me from messing around.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

nexus6 posted:

I would add timed content to that - I've already griped about the Holiday Hoarders challenge and I cheesed that from a YouTube video. I really prefer taking my time and exploring these levels, not 'you must complete this in a set time or it's over'. Particularly ETs, at least I can go back and play around on the holiday map now (for a while) but with the Sean Bean mission I knew I had one chance and one chance only to get SA so it really discouraged me from messing around.

Yeah, I have complicated feelings about this too. I understand it from a business standpoint, and if that's what they need to keep things going then full steam ahead, matey. But I stopped playing Overwatch in part because I realized that stressing myself out to get unlockables before they were permanently inaccessible just turned the game into a job, and I don't want that with my beloved Hitman.

Holiday Hoarders is definitely one example. I don't feel up to going back to that level and having to do the busywork of stealing all the toys before the thieves get it, and if that means I'm never able to get it after three weeks, that does diminish my interest in doing other time-limited missions.

Honestly, I do wonder whether it would really change much if they just made every "Elusive Target" and their rewards available permanently after a while. That would create a boatload of content any game developer would brag about. It's part of what makes Paradox Games', uh, games, so appealing--you know there's a massive amount that you can sink your teeth into at any time.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
There would be zero stress with ETs and they would no longer be fun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Zigmidge posted:

I dunno, there's no stress in killing Viktor Novikov freely whenever, and it's fun to do it...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

double nine posted:

oh, right.

For those with limited time available, in the meantime you could hunt down Santa and take his clothes, so you can get the "kill targets in accidents" challenge as well.

edit: how the hell do players aim the bodies this well?!

https://twitter.com/Hitman/status/1074787216528830464

I don’t know if this is what they did it here, but what I’d do to get this kind of shot would be just plant a mine up where the target will stand later, save, wait for them to arrive, set it off, see where the target lands, then reload the save and head to that spot before triggering the mine.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Zigmidge posted:

Only having one attempt does make them more exciting but it's also really dumb that they go to the trouble of creating a bunch of content that nobody ever sees because it's time limited and you're under pressure to not wander around or expirement at all.

I don't know how you'd fix that though, bring them back after six months but you can't earn rewards and leaderboards are disabled maybe. :shrug:

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I dunno, there's no stress in killing Viktor Novikov freely whenever, and it's fun to do it...

Plus, Hitman players seem unusually inventive in terms of the self-imposed challenges they're willing to establish for themselves. That's what the entirety of Contracts mode is about, as well as stuff like those explosion launching videos and the magic suitcase. And if I wanted to play a version of Marrakesh where every time I hear "No, that's capitalism!" I shove a twenty-dollar bill up my rectum, I could definitely make a challenge that's entertaining to someone.

ET's are entirely about artificial scarcity, like trading cards. Sure, a Holographic first-generation Zapdos is cool, but it's only cool because the Pokemon company intentionally printed a limited number of them when they could have easily gave a complimentary HoloZapdos for every fountain drink at Subway. It may grab the attention of hardcore players, but it can easily deter a wider audience.

All I'm saying is maybe, rather than creating an environment where players have to play the game with all cylinders on if they want to kill Sean Bean, maybe we create an environment where an enterprising player strives to reenact every single Sean Bean death within the confines of Miami, starting with decapitating him with a battle axe and moving on from there.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Pilchenstein posted:

I don't know how you'd fix that though

That's the thing. I don't think anything needs fixing, ETs are some of the best single player experiences in video gaming out there right now.

FOMO in videogames is a you problem. (that's a generalized you)

StrixNebulosa posted:

You must be from the dimension where I said that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ETs wouldn't be nearly as tense or fun if they weren't time limited and one shot (after kill or death) only

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
That is true. And it probably works better with these because the content itself is relatively sparse. The new content added to the game basically amounts to one or two models, some voiced dialogue, a mission briefing, and unique NPC layout and pathing. If it weren't for the fact that they were time-limited and one-shot, it'd be hard to separate some of them from a lot of player-made contracts.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Smart Car posted:

First time I put together a contract that wasn't purely for completing a challenge, figured I might as well post it for anyone interested.

I'll add that I originally had this so you had to kill each mechanic while disguised as the previous mechanic, but I figured that'd limit how you could complete this too much. So now it's straight five accidents, on one mechanic in each garage, no pacifications.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2WkxZ6fGMs (1:53)

Glad that you didn't, as it wouldn't add much to be juggling disguises (it would be okay in an Any Method contract). I can't decide if I like or hate this one, mainly because there's a lot of RNG on all the explosion panics and I feel like there aren't enough different accidents you can cause here; there are other accidents that can be caused, but except for the Kronstadt mechanic they're not really readily accessible or preferable. Perhaps IO's fault for not putting more fire barrels inside the garages. On the other hand, dealing with so many chained explosions is at least interesting, as it tends to necessitate doubling up on quick succession blasts to avoid panic RNG.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
360k concurrent players on steam wtf

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Since they just released Hitman 2 trading cards yesterday and the game is "free," a lot of people are idling to earn their free 15 cents in card profit.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Lester Shy posted:

Since they just released Hitman 2 trading cards yesterday and the game is "free," a lot of people are idling to earn their free 15 cents in card profit.

What? Exactly how popular are steam trading cards?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Xanderkish posted:

What? Exactly how popular are steam trading cards is free money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

People still care about their free quarter a game?