Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

first time i got a petition for the purpose of "study". currently running a 20 dwarf-cap civ that's just 1 large library with 7 full time scholars and the rest farm, brew, or train (to def. the library or steal books from around the map)

edit: drat, wtf, all my scholars just became students of this guy

Lpzie fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

12/07/2018 Toady One The first part of the w.g. religion rewrite is to update population demographics and site infrastructure in order to support more diversity, which will in turn lead to more interesting links and possibilities. The current setup that the big market cities have (usually) one large temple and nothing else, religiously, and that smaller sites have nothing has been changed. All sites now keep track of small religious structural/sculpture additions they've had over the years, in terms of every worshipped deity and every named religion.

As an example, I ran a small island, where we have the towns of Bunnygears and Wiltconfuse. These towns both started human, and are both located in the north of the island, surrounded by dwarven hillocks and fortresses. So it came to pass that by the year 50, the population of each town was roughly 25% dwarven. This is reflected in the new infrastructure accounting, with each town having a substantial minority of its shrines and statues depicting dwarven deities. In Bunnygears, however, more than half of the religious art/shrines/etc. are dedicated to the human god of beauty. This happened because the ruler of Bunnygears for the last 47 years has been Baroness Erab, an ardent worshipper of Ashi Mirthumber, the aforementioned god. Bunnygears also features many small religious structures specifically related to the Fellowship of Sheens, an Ashi-focused religion that coalesced about halfway through the fifty year period we are considering.

Technically, the game allows devout state actors, populations, and the infrastructure itself to each perform 'actions' over the years. The state historical figures and populations can build new infrastructure, and the infrastructure sways the demographics of the populations slightly. In the case of Bunnygears, this leads to any historical figures that come from the dwarven populations to have a decent chance of being at least casual Ashi worshippers, perhaps even Fellowship of Sheens members, on top of having their traditional beliefs in the dwarven pantheons. The dwarven shrines etc. also have an effect on the human populations, though it is less pronounced numerically. Overall, we're just getting started on these kind of cultural feedback mechanisms, but it seems very promising so far. For now, we'll be moving on to more individual-focused religious interactions in preparation for the villain work. Even as it stands, the fact that historical figures are much more religiously distinct makes the potential plots more interesting.

Incidentally, Ashi's only involvement with Bunnygears was unleashing a werezebra on it, the current price of having a temple to profane. We'll improve this at a later date, he he he.

Will be interesting to see what happens once religions give blessings as well as curses.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Found this in my imgur account. I think I must have made it at some point.

edit: I did not.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:coffee::effort: I've been awake for like thirty minutes and I know nothing about transparencies, it'll do for a test run.
I'd have made it say Strike The Earth but I'd have to make more letters instead of just copy-pasting them out of :iiam: and :ms:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 13, 2018

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I never did get around to un-loving the transparency, either :downs:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'd encourage people to check out the actual devlog, because the maps are neat, but

http://bay12games.com/dwarves/

quote:

12/13/2018 Toady One There is always more to do, but we're at a good stopping point for world gen religions. Prophets now arise in cities and villages associated to their particular gods through the new more granular belief tracking (rather than at random), and the named organized religions are associated to them and can start anywhere, whether that's a village or a capital. Prophets could already do this with monastic orders, and that has been improved by giving these orders the ability to find sponsors for the construction of a monastery, whether the sponsor is a religiously-aligned government or a merchant company or craft guild with aligned leadership.

The prophets can also convert portions of the population to non-monastic religions as well now. These are similar to the current version's temple religions with some new properties. Priesthoods come into being before large temples are built, once the prophet's teachings have taken hold in a community, and these priests further convert populations in the village or city where they are working. This leads to small-scale infrastructure production, as in the last devlog. Once the feedback loop has created enough infrastructure in a market-sized town, a temple can be built, and a high priest is elevated. Additionally, priests can convert people along trade routes and local market connections, leading to additional priests and temples springing into being over time. Once two temples have been built, a holy city is designated and a third level of priest arises there, above the high priests. We should add many variation to this process and its structures later, but it's fine for now.

Even as it stands, there's quite a bit going on. In my first test, a war-and-fortresses religion sprang up in a dwarven hillocks, and the prophet managed to get it adopted by quite a few people in the associated fortress. From there, the second quite-adventurous priest managed to get it passed along the trade/smuggling route to the dark tower, risking murder to establish a temple in what was later declared the holy city of what became the largest world religion. It's quite a fortress, the dark tower, and wholly appropriate for the war-fortress deity for that reason, but pilgrimages are notably awkward. Though I suspect that under the hood, the dark tower was a hit because there wasn't as much competition for the faithful. The demon rulers do not currently care about religions cropping up in their environs, and the goblins don't form them themselves, so the first outsiders that don't get murdered tend to do well. This might be changed in the demon's favor; similar problems with the elves are curtailed somewhat by the druid (who gets an extra state turn as a religious position holder). Prophets only attach to deities (since they are given a belief system concerning the deity's will/future actions), giving them an advantage, so more robust religions using other/similar methods for the non-deities (demon/forest spirit) seem necessary at some point to counteract this and leave those cultures intact for longer.

For some broad examples, I ran out a medium-sized map 150 years. At the end of worldgen, there were 90 non-monastic religions as well as 39 monastic orders. 11 of the monastic orders had found sponsors for monasteries, which exist as separate sites (much like the castles, which are also back in the game.) Seven of the religions had risen to the point of having full three-level priesthoods with multiple temples and a holy city; the largest of these was either the Rainy Sect with 10 temples and 147 priests, or the Cult of Pages with 7 temples and 162 priests, depending on how you count, noting that the many priests are each in different sites and are historical figures drawn from the proper religious segment of the population or from believing historical figures, with all that entails in terms of individual interlocking storylines, though their personal conversion stories could certainly use some (any) details.

Here's the trade map of the world, of the kind you can currently export from Legends mode. And here are the major religions (purple = holy city, red = temple, orange = priest, yellow = believers): the Rainy Sect (deity: sky, priest: Sacred Flier, high priest: High Cloud, holy city priest: Most Holy Sky), the Cult of Pages, the Fenced Faith, the Creed of Blossoms, the Foggy Communion, the Mauve Cult (deity: jewels, priest: Holy Cave, high priest: Exalted Rock, holy city priest: Absolute Lilac), and the Sect of Controlling. One other religion, the Granite Order is in a transitional state with a single temple and 35 priests, but they haven't broken through to a second market-size town yet.

The other 82 religions aren't all insignificant though. Take these two religions, the Romantic Faith and the Adorable Creed, founded within five years of each other a century ago in the same dwarven fortress by two different prophets of the birth god Zefon. Each has only a single priest, the aged dwarf prophets preaching their own version of Zefon, but they've had impact throughout the area. They just haven't managed to break through significantly across trade barriers, or make enough of a local impact to get another priest set up in an attached village, hillocks or mountain hall. But there are many adherents to either faith. The largest templeless minor religion is the Armored Fellowship, a three priest dwarven fortress god religion with two fortress branches, a hillocks branch, as well as believers in four human market towns and an elven market town they picked up on the trade routes. There would be a small chance for these to spread out to the human and elf villages from those markets, but priests on-site would really have helped speed that along. The major faiths managed that transition.

Neat to have this religous stuff running

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

okay but can any of that happen while you're actually playing in fortress mode

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Is there a way to decrease the size of migrant caravans? I get kind of overwhelmed when like 10 new dwarves and their pets show up.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I don't know the answer as far as editing the raws goes--there probably is--but migrant wave size (not to mention gobbo and forgotten beast visitation) is directly tied to the wealth your fortress generates. Generate less, get smaller migrant waves.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Jazerus posted:

Next feature: internal conflict and factions so your fortress can simulate the thirty years war

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jazerus posted:

and for that matter, is this release going to fix stress / bad memories or is its current broken state working as intended

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Zesty posted:

Found this in my imgur account. I think I must have made it at some point.

edit: I did not.

Always good to have another to join my :psydwarf: and, uh... who made :iit: again?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

StealthArcher posted:

who made :iit: again?

I forget who made it, but I think I bought it.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I last played DF in 2015 when I got sidetracked by Factorio. Are there any new mechanics that would cause quick demise to worry about or is it mostly the same. Like do I have to make sure I have $new_thing_I_dont_know_about by winter?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

xarph posted:

I last played DF in 2015 when I got sidetracked by Factorio. Are there any new mechanics that would cause quick demise to worry about or is it mostly the same. Like do I have to make sure I have $new_thing_I_dont_know_about by winter?

Nope- in fact most of the new stuff makes the game easier. Temples are a Good thing to buold early But since they are literally a empty room with a table theyre pretty easy to excavate somewhere between second and fourth migrant wave.

The new bad thoughts accumuöation os not an early-game problem, it starts affwcting you once your Fort starts seeing sieges of 50+ enemies.

Oh, training weapons dont do damage anymore So they shouldnt be used, at all. And training axes cant cut wood.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Valtonen posted:

Nope- in fact most of the new stuff makes the game easier. Temples are a Good thing to buold early But since they are literally a empty room with a table theyre pretty easy to excavate somewhere between second and fourth migrant wave.

The new bad thoughts accumuöation os not an early-game problem, it starts affwcting you once your Fort starts seeing sieges of 50+ enemies.

Oh, training weapons dont do damage anymore So they shouldnt be used, at all. And training axes cant cut wood.

are woodcutters and the new trees (when I last played trees were just one tile) still deathtraps?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm surprised that wood weapons do nothing, since a single punch can completely collapse an adult human's torso you'd think if that same power was behind a 2x4 it would do some damage.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

xarph posted:

are woodcutters and the new trees (when I last played trees were just one tile) still deathtraps?

Nah, Ive never seen it happen.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

xarph posted:

I have had maybe one instance of an animal being killed by a felled tree, and one instance of a dwarf being injured from the same, but that's out of what has to be hundreds of trees by now so I don't think you have much to worry about anymore.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The emotion changes basically mean that if you don't want your dwarves to all go insane/catatonic after a couple years, you need to replace all your weapon traps with cage traps and set up a lever to dump prisoners into lava so there are never any corpses or body parts anywhere. (e: or a closed off arena for military dwarves only)

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I still get herbalists that get stuck in trees. If I leave them there they eventually die. So in that way, they are still death traps.

The worst is when a stuck tree dwarf gets in a mood because it craters my FPS.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I just never let my dwarves pick fruit and I've never had a problem with dwarves getting stuck in trees.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

hailthefish posted:

I just never let my dwarves pick fruit and I've never had a problem with dwarves getting stuck in trees.

It definitely happens less if you're not doing fruit-gathering, but last I was aware you still tended to get the occasional hauler scrambling up trees to chase keas or evade wolves or whatever, or adventurers or hunters doing the same while looking for quarry.

Whether or not this is actually a problem may vary by individual outlook and the particulars of a given fort. A few ghosts liven up the place anyways.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Usually chopping down the tree will get them out without much injury. So then it's just like any other stuck, where the main problem is noticing them before they starve to death.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Facebook Aunt posted:

Usually chopping down the tree will get them out without much injury. So then it's just like any other stuck, where the main problem is noticing them before they starve to death.

There's a dfhack plugin that alerts you when any dwarf or livestock is starving or thirsty. Very handy when I forget to pasture my animals.

The real solution to dwarves in trees is to chop down all the trees :black101:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Dwarves and animals climbing up trees because a flock of keamen are flying by is still a common issue. With the dfhack alert and the ability to cut them down it's usually okay. One time my general got scared up a tree while off duty and ended up above the river. I figured he could swim a few squares to safety and cut the tree down. He did not survive.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Has anyone ever built a site in adventurer mode and then passed the time to see if anyone builds anything else there?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

promising carl posted:

There's a dfhack plugin that alerts you when any dwarf or livestock is starving or thirsty. Very handy when I forget to pasture my animals.

The real solution to dwarves in trees is to chop down all the trees :black101:

Yeah this one has been real helpful.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

The emotion changes basically mean that if you don't want your dwarves to all go insane/catatonic after a couple years, you need to replace all your weapon traps with cage traps and set up a lever to dump prisoners into lava so there are never any corpses or body parts anywhere. (e: or a closed off arena for military dwarves only)

would something like having a goblin regularly executed in the middle of your dining hall numb your populace to death

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

would something like having a goblin regularly executed in the middle of your dining hall numb your populace to death

That used to work, but now they get PTSD

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tunicate posted:

When people ask me what DF is, this is now the first thing I'm going to tell them.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

Tunicate posted:

Well, that's probably gonna be the new title of this thread once the next major version comes out.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Yea your military will eventually get numb unless they go insane but the problem is that the sheer volume of seeing 100 corpses and 100 severed heads and 264 turn out limbs and 700 toes (since each and every separate entity If these creates a thought every time you see them) means even ”did not feel anything” messages from them drown every happy influence, and after that every mundane gripe (couldnt see the sun, couldnt craft, couldnt spend family time, couldnt pray, depending on the individuals values) makes them eventually go bonkers.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

packetmantis posted:

Has anyone ever built a site in adventurer mode and then passed the time to see if anyone builds anything else there?

nah, but I built a site and a large building once and when I returned after retiring and unretiring it was full of nobles thinking they ran the place, not a single laborer. pretty weird poo poo

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I forget who made it, but I think I bought it.

That was me, partially at least.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FutonForensic posted:

That was me, partially at least.

Ah yes! Excellent work.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Danny Glands posted:

Well, that's probably gonna be the new title of this thread once the next major version comes out.

Request a name change whenever?

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

There's still no official merch is there?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You could ask Toady for some merch. Maybe he has something lying around. Ask him in a donation message.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Doesn't he give you a hand made crayon drawing or something if you donate enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

You can get a story award or a crayon drawing for donating.