Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Remember when some nerd called Max Dillon fell into a vat of electric eels and got electric superpowers, which caused the gap in his front teeth to close? Me neither.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Remember when some nerd called Max Dillon fell into a vat of electric eels and got electric superpowers, which caused the gap in his front teeth to close? Me neither.

I got an emergency call to take a family member to the airport because they forgot what time their flight was leaving, so I had to walk out of that movie around the Times Square fight where all the scaffolding fell to the ground and landed in just the right sequence to play The Itsy Bitsy Spider, and I am eternally grateful for that call.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Browsing some concept art and I love their wardrobe tests for hobo Peter,

Also, I didn't notice this until now, but Gwen wears ballet shoes in costume.

Went back to check the trailer and she even lands en pointe. Add that to the pile of outstanding visual touches, I guess.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

when we get a sequel they ought to do some really crazy poo poo. i want to visit the different worlds they're all from. We got a dope hip-hop infused film score for Miles' world, I want a garage punk/riot girl-infused score for Gwen's, some classic detective music for Spider-Noir, and some Looney Tunes-rear end cartoon classical music for Spider-Ham. Maybe some Bryan Eno/Skrillex music for 2099, some Ben Folds for Nick Miller: Spider-Man, i can come up with days worth of this.

post-credits scene can be a Bollywood dance number starring Pavitr Prabhakar.

edit: or a quick joke about lego spider-man

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 20, 2018

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DC Murderverse posted:

when we get a sequel they ought to do some really crazy poo poo. i want to visit the different worlds they're all from. We got a dope hip-hop infused film score for Miles' world, I want a garage punk/riot girl-infused score for Gwen's, some classic detective music for Spider-Noir, and some Looney Tunes-rear end cartoon classical music for Spider-Ham. Maybe some Bryan Eno/Skrillex music for 2099, some Ben Folds for Nick Miller: Spider-Man, i can come up with days worth of this.

post-credits scene can be a Bollywood dance number starring Pavitr Prabhakar.

Gotta have some J-Pop for Peni!

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Went back to check the trailer and she even lands en pointe. Add that to the pile of outstanding visual touches, I guess.

When everyone is asking if Miles can do something or other feat, she describes her as performing some ballet term.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm still disappointed we didn't get a tease of Japanese Spider-man, the one with the giant robot.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

I love how he introduces himself, but I'm not sure if there'd be licensing issues with Toei.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DC Murderverse posted:

He could probably empathize with Newspaper Spider-man, both their greatest enemies are bricks.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm still disappointed we didn't get a tease of Japanese Spider-man, the one with the giant robot.

Miles is actually drawing Leopardon at the beggining of the film, you can even see it in the trailers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Corrosion posted:

I love how he introduces himself, but I'm not sure if there'd be licensing issues with Toei.

Didn't Marvel buy back those rights at some point, which is why they were able to put him in Spider-Verse. They also put all the episodes up online IIRC.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

That was in 2015 and I don’t know the nature of any actual agreement between Toei and Marvel regarding what’s agreed upon or not. Apparently the episodes were taken offline, but I’m not really worried about it beyond admitting I don’t know poo poo about the logistics of the copyright or actual creative interest in portraying it.

There’s a sketch of Leopardon, I definitely missed that.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Here's a really cool breakdown of some of the sound work they did, focusing on the electronic noise sounds of our Prowling buddy.

https://twitter.com/DANIELPEMBERTON/status/1075816351611142144

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

jng2058 posted:

Gotta have some J-Pop for Peni!

Yoko Kanno.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

3, 2, 1, let's jam.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Japanese Spiderman appeared in some of the comics fairly recently, along with his whole "I am an emissary of Hell!" bit.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The absolute best part of the spiderversr comics was the villain jumping into the Newspaper Spider-Man dimension and getting so absolutely freaked out that he immediately leaves.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
People have pointed out the obvious easter egg movie posters like Clone College and From Dusk Til Shaun but I liked some of the goofier background details like water polo and horse racing being the big popular sports is different universes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The absolute best part of the spiderversr comics was the villain jumping into the Newspaper Spider-Man dimension and getting so absolutely freaked out that he immediately leaves.

For those that missed it, just looked it up and of course someone threw it on imgur:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Guy Mann posted:

People have pointed out the obvious easter egg movie posters like Clone College and From Dusk Til Shaun but I liked some of the goofier background details like water polo and horse racing being the big popular sports is different universes.

I never could get a good look, but was Steph Curry a golfer in Miles' dimension?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I liked the small music gags like the Starboy cover with Kiss Land instead

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
doc ock was such a nice surprise. Nothing in the trailers to let that slip, and actually if you search right now there still aren’t any pictures of that character on google images, only a picture of a tentacle wrapped around Peter B

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

I'm a big fan of Yugo, a car which failed to sell in the 80s, being a big hit in this universe.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

beanieson posted:

doc ock was such a nice surprise. Nothing in the trailers to let that slip, and actually if you search right now there still aren’t any pictures of that character on google images, only a picture of a tentacle wrapped around Peter B

I was shocked that they kept that a secret. Literally shocked. Usually the toys give it away.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Got a surprise album dropping today from the movie!

https://www.slashfilm.com/into-the-spider-verse-christmas-songs/

This will be interesting. And awesome...and probably a little scary.

EDIT: Listening to it now, track one is actually really good.

EDIT 2 : I was wrong, this album is loving awesome.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 21, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Got a surprise album dropping today from the movie!

https://www.slashfilm.com/into-the-spider-verse-christmas-songs/

This will be interesting. And awesome...and probably a little scary.

EDIT: Listening to it now, track one is actually really good.

EDIT 2 : I was wrong, this album is loving awesome.

It's 40 minutes of Chris Pine trying to sing Christmas songs as Spider-Man. How could it NOT be awesome?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

nine-gear crow posted:

It's 40 minutes of Chris Pine trying to sing Christmas songs as Spider-Man. How could it NOT be awesome?

Except Pine only sings on two of the tracks. Shameik Moore, Jake Johnson, and Jorma Taccone sing on the other three. Which doesn't make it any less magical mind you

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

www.gofundme.com/spideywebfluidfund

Delightful.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I have to say I really enjoyed this flick and am glad that a sequel has been announced. Miles has been a favorite of mine for a while. The new Doc Oc is probably my favorite incarnation in years! I really hope we see more of her

Edit: I really enjoyed the Bill Sienkiewicz Kingpin but because of the double chin and stubble I couldn't stop thinking "Evil Fred Flintsone" every time he appeared on screen.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 21, 2018

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I didn't like how overly stylized Kingpin was compared to everyone else in the movie, I get what they were going for but in a movie that uses art styles as visual shorthand having one guy who looks more different than people that are explicitly from other worlds is a problem. His design being lifted directly from a completely different comic illustrator explains a lot and I get what they were going for with him being a face in a black void and trying to use sheer size to overcome the "how is a fat guy in a suit supposed to be a physical threat to a superhero in a direct fight" problem that every other theatrical and television adaptation of the character has had but I feel like just moving his head up a bit on his torso so he was less Triplets of Belleville mafia goon and more No Face from Spirited Away would have a done a lot.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Now everyone knows that the basic idea of Spider-Man is that Peter Parker is an everyteen figure who tries escaping his problems through his superhero alter ego, but ends up facing the same weakness and failure as in his everyday life. Into the Spider-Verse features Miles Morales escaping the (Great) expectations of his school life by entering a world of danger and adventure, only for him to meet terrible burdens and demands as a superhero.

Spider-Man comics are a story about failed escapism, which is why he’s always incompetent and ineffective as a hero, and why some audiences find him appealing. Problem is, at some point it became accepted that Spider-Man was inspirational rather than pathetic. Thus Miles Morales triumphs and adjusts perfectly to his normal and heroic lives.

Into the Spider-Verse summarises the ideals of Spider-Man as getting up after being hit, but survival is not heroic. Suffering does not on its own make some righteous. In Spider-Verse, being a hero is not a question of accomplishing something larger than life, but of competency in appropriate fields like hacking.

An explicit comparison is drawn between Miles Morales being overwhelmed by teachers and being harried by the other Spider-Gimmicks who want to know if he has the necessary skills to be a vigilante. He gets fist-bumps from his friends as Miles Morales and from an adoring public as a superhero. The movie’s conflicts are thus inherently trivial: violent combat is the equivalent of writing a book report, and becoming a celebrity vigilante is like being just another guy on the street.

The movie talks down to audiences by reducing the complex experiences of childhood and teen years to such superficial struggles. Miles Morales triumphs by meeting expectations, which is why he’s such a terrible superhero. There’s nothing heroic about fulfilling standards set by other people.

Part of all this is that Spider-Verse has the same problem that Pixar’s Up had, where the creators couldn’t think up a real conflict between good and evil, so the villain is murdering people because they feel really strongly about something inoffensive. Up has a villain who murders people because he wants to prove he wasn’t fibbing about an ornithological discovery. Spider-Verse has a villain who kills people because they really want their scientific project to succeed for personal reasons. The project is arbitrarily dangerous because the plot draws inspiration from the 2008 media panic over CERN’s new particle accelerator. For different dimensions to meet is dangerous, which is an odd Freudian slip: the movie's intricate but ugly pop pastiche is unsustainable.

Also it's hilarious that a bunch of gangsters manage to get rid of a body so badly that it becomes a news-item in a matter of hours.

Guy Mann posted:

I didn't like how overly stylized Kingpin was compared to everyone else in the movie, I get what they were going for but in a movie that uses art styles as visual shorthand having one guy who looks more different than people that are explicitly from other worlds is a problem. His design being lifted directly from a completely different comic illustrator explains a lot and I get what they were going for with him being a face in a black void and trying to use sheer size to overcome the "how is a fat guy in a suit supposed to be a physical threat to a superhero in a direct fight" problem that every other theatrical and television adaptation of the character has had but I feel like just moving his head up a bit on his torso so he was less Triplets of Belleville mafia goon and more No Face from Spirited Away would have a done a lot.

Let's not forget one other important influence:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 21, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

This film got me really in the mood for some animated psychedelia that blasts you with colours like the film's ending. I've already rewatched Mind Game (which is loving incredible if you haven't seen it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqwsdcYReMU

Anyone got any other recommendations?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

This post is as bad as Spider-Verse is good.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Every single time I decide to give a BravestOfTheLamps post another try, it just ends up cementing that Ignore Post button as one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life.

Seriously, though, how is Phil Lord this good at setting up a third act? Miles suiting up gave me chills, and The Lego Movie of all things pulled off the same trick. The guys who made Clone High should not be this good at structure and understanding the elements of a franchise and expertly crafting a narrative around it. And yet, here we are.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 21, 2018

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I don’t see what’s wrong with that post aside from disagreeing with it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s made by Lamps who sucks rear end. Hence forth, ergo, visa vi, MasterCard

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Pirate Jet posted:

I don’t see what’s wrong with that post aside from disagreeing with it.

I mean, one of the very first things he says is:

quote:

Spider-Man comics are a story about failed escapism, which is why he’s always incompetent and ineffective as a hero, and why some audiences find him appealing. Problem is, at some point it became accepted that Spider-Man was inspirational rather than pathetic. Thus Miles Morales triumphs and adjusts perfectly to his normal and heroic lives.

Bravest, have you ever actually read a Spider-Man comic in your life? They're not and have never been about 'failed escapism', and Spider-Man is not incompetent or ineffective—the original intention behind Spider-Man, like many of the 1960s Marvel superheroes created by Stan Lee, was to create heroes with more realistic motivations and flaws than the traditional Golden Age heroes like Superman or Captain America. In Spider-Man's case, the concept was 'what if a regular teenager was given superpowers?', and many Spider-Man stories are based around the dual concerns of balancing his normal life as a young adult (Going to class, talking to girls, working a part-time job with a jerk of a boss, and caring for his elderly aunt) with his responsibilities as a superhero. He struggles, but the appeal of his character is that he overcomes his struggles, both the entirely fictional challenges of being a superhero as well as the mundane challenges of life as a lower-middle class young adult living in New York. To believe that Spider-Man has ever intended to be pathetic is to fundamentally misunderstand literally everything about his character.

Bravest likes to present a front where he's the most intelligent person in the room, and that the things everyone else likes are actually bad, but the problem is that he doesn't actually know as much as he thinks he does. His posts are a waste of the time you spent reading it and the time he spent writing it.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Part of all this is that Spider-Verse has the same problem that Pixar’s Up had, where the creators couldn’t think up a real conflict between good and evil, so the villain is murdering people because they feel really strongly about something inoffensive. Up has a villain who murders people because he wants to prove he wasn’t fibbing about an ornithological discovery. Spider-Verse has a villain who kills people because they really want their scientific project to succeed for personal reasons. The project is arbitrarily dangerous because

... Destroying an entire dimension isn't particularly arbitrary. Did you not hear that part?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Bravest, have you ever actually read a Spider-Man comic in your life? They're not and have never been about 'failed escapism',

The first Spider-Man story ever published is about Peter Parker getting his uncle killed because he doesn't want to be pushed around like he was before. He tries to escape his normal life, and fails miserably. He wants to be a celebrity but his guardian dies, and then he tries to be a hero but finds out that he was partly responsible.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

He struggles, but the appeal of his character is that he overcomes his struggles, both the entirely fictional challenges of being a superhero as well as the mundane challenges of life as a lower-middle class young adult living in New York.

Spider-Man never overcomes his struggles. He's still a weirdo fighting an ineffective war against crime because he thinks webbing up bank robbers improves things.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Bravest kind of has a point about "failed escapism" because one of the appeals of Spider-Man, at least from people I have spoken with irl, is that he has struggles outside of superheroing that people can relate to. He's a blue collar superhero, as opposed to the Fantastic Four, Iron Man, Dr. Strange, and the like.

This is one of the cool things about Spider-Woman's (Gwen Stacy) origin is that both she and Peter in her universe are social outcasts, she might be the drummer in The Mary-Janes but she doesn't really fit in. When she gets bit and becomes Spider-Woman, Peter wants that too, he wants to escape from the Hell that is his life and the Lizard serum he creates cam give him that. But he also wants to bully his bullies, similar to what happens to Peter Parker in 616, he wants to lord it over those who wronged him in life and he becomes dangerous. Perhaps Gwen doesn't land the killing blow when they fight but she bares responsibility for what led him to this point.

Of course the other aspect of Spider-Man never making a difference, despite how many criminals he webs, up is just comics 101. The heroes can't definitively win because then there's no more story to tell and no one buys comics anymore. But I ultimately feel that what Bravest is disagreeing with is the point about Spider-Man always getting up after he has been knocked down. That is his inspiration to the world, to always get back up and try again when you fail.