Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

best part about this season was all the people frothing over edgic got poo poo on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

TMMadman posted:

Most of the good people voted for Nick.
Honestly seemed like a pretty fair vote. Mike deserves those he got.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Jeremy isn't there lol

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

best part about this season was all the people frothing over edgic got poo poo on
Nick never really dropped off the map but man they got crushed on Gabby and Christian going out back to back.

e: and the "Nick's edit was mixed in the premiere!!!" loons ofc.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
lmao

I have a hard time believing that Angelina isn't a controversial figure outside of the game.

edit - there's the jacket clip

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

TMMadman posted:

lmao

I have a hard time believing that Angelina isn't a controversial figure outside of the game.

edit - there's the jacket clip

That was the first time I had seen that and lmfao

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm a little behind at the moment but lol Angelina angling herself for another season

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
what is lyrsa's tattoo, just a cat in a suit?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Holy poo poo that tattoo.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

curiousCat posted:

what is lyrsa's tattoo, just a cat in a suit?

yes and it's awesome

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So yeah, I guess I didn't give the editors enough credit. We had a very flawed final three and we actually got a pretty good, warts-and-all portrayal of them.

I will say that Mike White earned those three votes he got. And they could've thrown Angelina at least one bone. But yeah, Nick earned this. He was one of the main forces behind the Great David Comeback, the first on American Survivor to play the Vote Steal perfectly, and when it collapsed around him, he was able to keep enough allies to get him into the position where he could win his way to the end. I'm not usually much of a challenge guy, but dude won three in a row when he almost definitely needed to. Yeah, he did not deal with being blindsided well, but he at least had enough self-awareness to understand that he wasn't dealing with it well.

Good job, Nick.

Deceptive
Dec 27, 2012
This is actually a decent reunion for once.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

^yeah they did a great job for the first time in years.

Fans vs. Favorites, with some new twist beyond standard elimination?
I am shocked!!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hmm, I'm pretty sure it was David there, but who was the other returnee lady?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
what's the story behind douchey mustache bro?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Who were the two returnees aside from Joe and Aubry?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hmm, I'm pretty sure it was David there, but who was the other returnee lady?
Not sure but I am hoping fan favorite Sierra Dawn Thomas.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Khanstant posted:

That was Joe. Aka, Malcom, Ozzy, and the like.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Aubry Bracco
David Wright
Joe Anglim
Kelley Wentworth

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Looked like Kelley

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Ozzy's already been on 4 times so they got a less repulsive version of him.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I understand why production is hung up on endless third chance contestants but the audience hates Redemption Island and eliminated players have never mattered once they escaped purgatory.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Basically, the only way next season could be compelling is if it turns into this intense, dark psychodrama where contestants actually legitimately try to make each other miserable enough to quit, and I don't think that's what's going to happen.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Spergatory posted:

Basically, the only way next season could be compelling is if it turns into this intense, dark psychodrama where contestants actually legitimately try to make each other miserable enough to quit, and I don't think that's what's going to happen.
That might be a good show to watch but I don't want it mixed in with Survivor. The biggest problem with Redemption Island is pissing away 10 minutes every week on players walled off from the game.

Maybe this is a scam to run Extinction After Hours on the CBS streaming thing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

You know, it's crazy to think that Nick was probably going to be the vote at the very first tribal of the game if Pat didn't get hurt.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Spergatory posted:

Welp, Nick is not winning. You don't have someone say "he's a loving child" about your winner in your finale. Bye Nick! Bye, hope for a halfway decent winner!

EDIT: Fire challenge loser. Or maybe even FTC loser, given his propensity to get defensive and emotional under pressure.

lol

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nick's a solid winner but I think he probably could have been a great winner if he hadn't fallen apart so much the last few weeks. Like, back when Gabby pulled off the blindside on Carl I was curious how Nick would react the first time he was on the wrong side of a betrayal/blindside/lie and it turns out the answer was "every time he is he'll throw a really public temper tantrum and get petty." John kind of nailed it that his peak was early when he got him out, but but like he went all immunity run on it and did what he had to do to rebound from his mistakes. In a lot of ways it reminds me of Mike Halloway's win. So kudos.

I was totally prepared for and fine with a Mike win in my head. I think he really did a strong job post merge influencing the game low key. Probably even pre-merge when you look at like the Natalie vote. The only real clear flaw was that mini implosion when Allison targeted him. I wonder if that was just him falling apart the first time his name was mentioned or if he had caught wind of the fact he was in trouble and was lashing out. Maybe like Nick he would have shown his rear end more if he had been in the crosshairs more.

All in all I think Mike and Nick were very similar players with very similar but different games that were an appropriate finish for the season. And you know, the lol third option.

And Angelina is just pure "lol". The ladder/rock nonsense. "I could have died!" Sincerely believing she's been running the game. "I feel like a mob boss." Orchestrating votes against herself so she can use an idol. Crafting a fake idol just to try and trick Allison into embarrassing herself. Nick openly choosing to take her because he thinks he can beat her and her sincerely thinking she manipulated him. And of course her rationalizing that we're laughing with her and not at her and that she's just being judged for being "aggressive". Being the person who joins up with Natalie to complain about her narrative. Angelina is completely insane and the pettiest person and its hilarious.

I love that when Mike told Kara about Angelina's insane plan Kara didn't even skip a beat. Just basically "yep, Angelina's insane."

"I don't want to give Angelina the satisfaction of playing an idol correctly."
I would have been at peace with a Kara win.

Huh, Zeke is dating the dude from Superstore.

Davie is the absolute best.

Oh yeah, Dan's kind of a dick. I forgot that.

Great season.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

I'm still shocked! :aaaaa:

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
This is totally thirdhand info so take it with a grain of salt but someone was at Allison's watch party last week, and apparently Allison said that Nick threw a lot more temper tantrums every time a vote didn't go his way. They just didn't make air

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Drinking game... take a shot everytime Angelina says "I" to the jury...

I’ll miss you, SLICK GOKU BABY. Taken from us by severe alcohol poisoning.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

JesusSinfulHands posted:

This is totally thirdhand info so take it with a grain of salt but someone was at Allison's watch party last week, and apparently Allison said that Nick threw a lot more temper tantrums every time a vote didn't go his way. They just didn't make air

Given the edit he got after Davie went out that makes a lot of sense.

My watch party has been mocking but tepid of Angelina because somebody knows Adam and apparently they two are friends.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Poque posted:

Jeremy isn't there lol

Jeremy went home after getting voted out instead of doing the pre-jury trip.

I’m amazed him and Alec did exit press.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Great ending to a great season.

I would've been fine as well with Mike winning. His gameplay got stronger as the season went along (not a coincidence the two last boots voted for him), and he struck a really clever balance between subtle and forceful. But Nick's super effective blend of solid, well-rounded gameplay, southern charm and just a super endearing backstory (who wouldn't want to see the affable public defender, who grew up in a trailer and whose mom OD'd, win?) would have beaten most people, I'd guess.

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Which would have been...twice? When his two closest allies got voted out behind his back? And I'm pretty sure they showed his outbursts both times.

Also, holy poo poo, Alison is only 28? I definitely assumed she was in her 40s, or at least her late 30s. Med school is rough eh?

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 20, 2018

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Tony was a total shithead but we only saw the wild crazy fun stuff.

Like I said earlier, production wants us on board with the winner. Still though! I think they showed more flaws than they usually do and was much more rounded this season. Alison was under edited but she wasn't Chelsea or Angela levels from last season... were they last season?

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Yeah, I understand that we don't get the full stories. Nick very well could have been more unpleasant than he appeared, but I'm having trouble figuring out when all those other invisible, post-TC Nick temper tantrums, aside from Carl and Davie, would have been. Maybe the Gabby boot, but how unreasonably pissed could you really get when the guy who you know has an idol plays an idol?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zesty posted:

Jeremy did exit press lambasting Angelina (and to a lesser degree John) using a (prepared) story of them being in a showmance that they had to downplay because Angelina was married and John was engaged. When the internet righteously turned on him for being petty he just quietly slunk out of Survivor and untagged himself from any cast photos.

He's the epitome of someone who couldn't handle being voted out.

Anyway. Finale! It was amazing to see Alison keep surviving, but wow, Nick bulldozed his way to the end. Three straight immunities right when he needed them. It was hardly a perfect game, but very respectable. A bit sad Angelina didn't even get one vote (I thought Gabby might have voted for her actually), but hey, she made it to FTC and she's gonna be one of the most memorable players of the season, so good on her.

One hilarious (to me) thing I noticed is that there wasn't a Probst breakdown at the start of the episode of each of the final six players and why they could win. I guess they just couldn't find anything to say about Kara and Angelina.

I kind of skipped past most of the reunion and anytime during the finale when they cut to the stage (because 80 percent of the time now I really don't care). Any big highlights?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The best way I've seen Nick described is as a fusion of JT and Stephen who got both their positive and negative traits. He's got JT's charm and Fishbach's strategy (splitting the minority vote was his idea and it was a loving great one), but also JT's tendency to overplay and Fishbach's paranoia. It's kind of born out in the results too, in that he got no votes against him during the season, like JT, but actually lost some at FTC like Stephen.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think Nick would have gotten votes, it's just that Christian being around for so long drew a lot of attention away. Alison and Davie then were the targets, and then he won three straight immunities.

Nick's got some charm, but I think Kara or Mike have him beat if it was just social standing to be taken into account, and he benefited a lot from a lot of attention being focused on other people as threats instead.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Zesty posted:

Jeremy's stock would have been much improved if he hadn't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Edge pf Extinction?!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Aubry Bracco
David Wright
Joe Anglim
Kelley Wentworth
Are these players that fans have been clamouring for? I hope the theme is better than what was shown in the short preview clip. But overall that was a better Reunion show than the last few seasons, they didn't spend any time with random people in the audience and gave a lot of the cast a chance to speak.

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm a little behind at the moment but lol Angelina angling herself for another season

I'd rather see Angelina again than Professor Over Explainer.

"Jeff it's great to have you as captive audience for 6 hours, people would pay big money for that. So, Jeff, now that we're in this situation and I can ask you anything in the world about Survivor game theory or philosophy or how the game has changed over the years, there's something I've always wondered: do you know how to make a Reuben sandwich?"

Maybe it's a hilarious robotics joke but it went over my head.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I kind of skipped past most of the reunion and anytime during the finale when they cut to the stage (because 80 percent of the time now I really don't care). Any big highlights?
Probst: Angela I hear you think your edit was unfair.
Angela: That's right, I was shown as bossy and lazy and I'm not like that at all.
Probst: Okay, show of hands from the rest of the cast: Who else thought they got a bad edit or were portrayed unfairly?
Everyone else on stage: (not a single hand was raised)

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 20, 2018