Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Mine paid for my divorce lawyer. Worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I'm using student loans to pay off credit cards. Lower interest rates.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Why on earth do you have student loan debt as a GWOT veteran?..did you use up all your GI bill and Voc Rehab eligibility’s?

I went back to school full-time when I got sick of the layoff cycle at the chemical plant. GI Bill paid my mortgage, wife's job paid most of the bills, we dialled back our lifestyle and used student loans to cover the remainder of it. Some folks could do the full school load and 40+ hrs at work a week; I knew I was not mentally equipped to.

Of course, now I'm doing exactly that with grad school. But this job has wayyyyyyyy more flexibility than any other job I ever worked. Time off basically on demand.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

GD_American posted:

I went back to school full-time when I got sick of the layoff cycle at the chemical plant. GI Bill paid my mortgage, wife's job paid most of the bills, we dialled back our lifestyle and used student loans to cover the remainder of it. Some folks could do the full school load and 40+ hrs at work a week; I knew I was not mentally equipped to.

Of course, now I'm doing exactly that with grad school. But this job has wayyyyyyyy more flexibility than any other job I ever worked. Time off basically on demand.

Right on, good to see you were able to use the GI bill, I was concerned that perhaps you were somehow not aware of the benefit or something. Are you a chemist or a chemical engineer? Those are the only two jobs I know of at chemical plants.

And congrats on the better more flexible job and your decision to further your education. That shits awesome man. Always happy to see a Gipper in school bettering themselves, or at least their CV’s.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I think I have enough bennies for grad school and that makes me pretty happy

How does having paid the $1,200 towards the Montgomery GI bill work? I believe my friend who exhausted his GI bill recently said they sent him a check once he used it all up. Someone else had told me they apply it toward your tuition once you exhaust your post 9-11, but I wasn’t aware you got the cash money

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Right on, good to see you were able to use the GI bill, I was concerned that perhaps you were somehow not aware of the benefit or something. Are you a chemist or a chemical engineer? Those are the only two jobs I know of at chemical plants

lol nope. There's a whole bunch of rednecks that shovel poo poo and push buttons, and there's other rednecks that fix the machines. I was the latter. (I was a millwright, but people understand the first way to put it a lot better.)

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I think I have enough bennies for grad school and that makes me pretty happy

How does having paid the $1,200 towards the Montgomery GI bill work? I believe my friend who exhausted his GI bill recently said they sent him a check once he used it all up. Someone else had told me they apply it toward your tuition once you exhaust your post 9-11, but I wasn’t aware you got the cash money

If you exhaust your post-9/11, you get the 1200 as a refund. How much time do you have left? I'm in an 18 month MBA program, and had 10+ months left on my certificate.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I’ll have to check, it’d be more of a bridge program iirc so not as long as traditional grad school, but I could be wrong. I’ll definitely have to pay a bit out of pocket. I had a bunch of JC done before I went to big boy school, so it shaved off and saved me a few semesters.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I have to take out student loans because GI Bill + school grants + Pell grant doesn’t fully cover cost of living

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Nothing like walking into a Final 1 hour into it because you misread the time

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

MrDesaude posted:

That is amazing. I would love to see the write up.

Yeah me too...

I need to run the ANOVAs and figure out how I'm going to sort the data in R sometime this week and then actually start coming up with conclusions. It isn't actually that exciting, the focus is on generating a better understanding of screen printing characteristics for wearables.

I'm still on the fence over the best method for wearable electronics and the tech is still developing. Currently the only really mature printed sensors are temperature and pressure/force and that doesnt account for power. Hybrid flexible/rigid systems are probably the best way to go.

What I'm interested in is the ability to increase data quality and collection with wearables. Moving a temp sensor to the small of the back or inner thigh will provide a much better approximation of core temp than a Fitbit on the wrist. Being able to pull that data and examine it on the cloud should further help in healthcare for example.

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

Soulex posted:

Whoops. How do you think you did?

lightpole posted:

Moving a temp sensor to the small of the back or inner thigh will provide a much better approximation of core temp than a Fitbit on the wrist. Being able to pull that data and examine it on the cloud should further help in healthcare for example.

I totally agree. Endgame I want to work on integrating more than function into prosthetics. I can't remember the percentage, but an obscene number of amputees don't wear prosthetics because they aren't comfortable or fully functional.

I'm fiddling with a prototype idea of making a pipboy forearm with a raspberry pi zero W and a 3.5" TFT for ST Judes kids with a 3d printed limb.
Don't know if anything is going to come of it, but it passes the time.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Soulex posted:

lol gently caress

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I had a time conflict with finals my last semester on campus. So I walked in 45 minutes late, and despite clearing it with the professor ahead of time it was still incredibly stressful working away while everyone else gets up and leaves.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Was it a hard final? For one of my finals, I used the whole two hours. For all the others, I was done pretty quickly.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Was it a hard final? For one of my finals, I used the whole two hours. For all the others, I was done pretty quickly.
It wasn't that bad, and I still finished within the official time. What did suck was that I either didn't pay attention when he talked about the format, or it wasn't spelled out. I'd just finished a handwritten final 5 minutes before and I walked in expecting some multiple choice questions with a few short essay questions on the computer. Instead it's two long essay questions, handwritten, where you had to spell out how you'd go about doing two different raster analysis scenarios.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

anyone have a time mix up except it was most the class cause the instructor copy/pasted the syllabus

If they’re not here in 15 mins we can legally leave!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's why you have to make sure you ask when it is and check that against what the school has scheduled. The final schedule is probably set long before the semester even starts. It's weird being in a class where you had to have taken another college class before this one and people still don't know how finals work.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I think I did ok. Walked in as the last student was leaving. It wasnt too bad and she said she wouldnt mark us down for being late. We did miss donuts though

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
4.0 for the semester. Meh

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I took my last final and submitted my final paper for my undergraduate degree. Lets hope I didn't completely bomb them. :ohno:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

That's why you have to make sure you ask when it is and check that against what the school has scheduled. The final schedule is probably set long before the semester even starts. It's weird being in a class where you had to have taken another college class before this one and people still don't know how finals work.

what

Also idk if it is confidence from the mil, maturity, or what: but college was a lot of me being the older dude asking the arguably dumb questions

“oh man thanks for asking I was wondering too!”

or

“hey can you ask the professor if ______”

I guess I was a dumb timid teenager too my first go around. But man seemed like I always had to spearhead study or text groups. We’re in this together y’all

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Woof Blitzer posted:

4.0 for the semester. Meh

Me too, buddy. Me too.

Edit: I got an A on a paper I wrote with a concussion. My second attempt at college is basically an achievement run.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I can barely skirt above a 3.0 wtf

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Assuming I didn't tank these two final classes my final undergrad GPA should be something like 3.3-3.4. Not great but not bad considering I had a below 2.0 high school GPA and failed out of college in my first attempt during my early 20s. Probably my proudest achievement beyond finishing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm currently sitting at a 4.0 GPA for all second attempt at college semesters. GPA is currently 3.12 thanks to my first attempt.

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006
I'm going into my last semester with a 3.86, which is weird because I had this preconceived notion that college was super hard and I wouldn't do well. Then again I'm majoring in IT and that seems to be one of the easier programs, comparatively speaking (CS, Engineering, etc.).

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Some of us are in programs that kick us out below a 3.0

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I'm currently sitting at a 4.0 GPA for all second attempt at college semesters. GPA is currently 3.12 thanks to my first attempt.

so does this depend on the college or what? Technically only the classes applicable to your degree that you’re using for credit should count towards your GPA, but as I understand that’s not really how it works?

Like gently caress, yeah I botched some JC classes when I was 19 why is it haunting me now and I gotta pay for my negligence of it all in my 30s. Almost didn’t get into the program I finished because of it

EBB posted:

Some of us are in programs that kick us out below a 3.0

watch out for this guy everyone

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Because college is stupid and they want to know everything you've ever done. Luckily Texas has a law called "academic fresh start" and when I apply for a real university, I can apply with that and they ignore all my credits from over 10 years ago. So if I apply for fall of 2019, that will wipe out all the college I did before the air force.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

so does this depend on the college or what? Technically only the classes applicable to your degree that you’re using for credit should count towards your GPA, but as I understand that’s not really how it works?

Like gently caress, yeah I botched some JC classes when I was 19 why is it haunting me now and I gotta pay for my negligence of it all in my 30s. Almost didn’t get into the program I finished because of it

He’s in a Masters program I believe, and 3.0 is usually the floor. I’ve seen it as high as 3.25 before at one school.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Masters are generally 3.0. This might come with a bit of grade inflation so at a B- you are failing pretty hard but most people are pretty motivated anyways. If you're worrying about grades in grad school you should probably re-think your priorities.

Had a 2.5 or so in undergrad and always felt a little embarrassed about it, like I was really lazy in school. I didnt realize that carrying 30 units a semester and playing intercollegiate rugby at the same time was not actually a normal thing and most engineering programs take 5 or more years. Carrying a 3.6 now and pretty happy about it since I'm consistently overloaded with grad courses, research and rugby.

Probably going to miss academia when I graduate in June. My undergrad was a nightmare compared to this.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

they curve those tests though right

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Most of my upper level GIS courses are split between undergrad GIS students and grad students in other programs that need GIS courses as part of their program. Usually the grad students have to do a final project and have exams count for significantly less of their overall grade, I suppose you could see that as some form of a curve/inflation since I doubt any of them are getting savaged on their projects the way you can on a poor final exam performance.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My college has a policy where grad students have to pay the grad rate for undergrad classes. This grad student from another school took the same 6 credit class I did summer semester and had to pay something like $7k for it. I had 3 other classes besides that for a total of 17 credits, and thanks to tuition banding paid less than this guy did for one class. Not that I really paid for it anyway.

Also, taking 17 credits during a summer semester is miserable.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Got another 4.0 this semester. I thought I'd bomb this Java class - my first experience with an iffy professor. Thickest Chinese accent I've ever heard, extremely knowledgeable, but his exams were a full magnitude of difficulty above what we were actually learning and using in our programming projects. He hadn't taught below grad level in years.

Oh well, thanks for the curve.

Also had Discrete Structures and holy poo poo was that class hard. I somehow got a 95% on the midterm and basically set myself up for an A right there with how he weighted the exams. Pretty sure I did that well because my reference sheet was so good.. do your prep kids.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Community college :haw:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you aren't starting out at a community college where the classes are easier because they desperately want to raise their 30% graduation rate, you're fuckin up.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, I did my first 2 years at CC. Was great for succeeding at math poo poo that I suck horribly bad at since the class sizes were much smaller than the 100 level classes at my 20,000+ student university are.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

People pay out of pocket to do all four years at a university and that blows my mind

Gotta have the whole experience!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I mean if I'd been a good HS student going straight to real university for 4 years would've been the way to do it.