Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Cat shaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Lmao who got offended by the fat otter tweet show yourself coward

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
We regret to inform you the otter is racially insensitive.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Lmao who got offended by the fat otter tweet show yourself coward

Since their goal is to ruin everything, I'm gonna assume that something in that tweet that looked innocuous to us was actually some weird Nazi coded memespeak.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

Since their goal is to ruin everything, I'm gonna assume that something in that tweet that looked innocuous to us was actually some weird Nazi coded memespeak.

Nah, it's just using AAVE language in a way that could be seen as mocking black women. They've owned up to it thoroughly and tried to help others aware of why it was bad. Kind of an :unsmith: moment in the end.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

jobson groeth posted:

Nah, it's just using AAVE language in a way that could be seen as mocking black women. They've owned up to it thoroughly and tried to help others aware of why it was bad. Kind of an :unsmith: moment in the end.

It is rather otterizing. otherizing

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

jobson groeth posted:

That well known aave term chonk

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

jobson groeth posted:

Nah, it's just using AAVE language in a way that could be seen as mocking black women.

:psyduck:

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Legendary African American hip hop artist Absolute G Unit

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
As someone, who is black, I have to say AAVE is the whitest term I've heard in all of 2018.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

JT Smiley posted:

As someone, who is black, I have to say AAVE is the whitest term I've heard in all of 2018.

I'm using their term. I'd never heard it before today either. But I'm also about as far from the USA as you can possibly get though so it's not something that is ever likely to come up here.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
May as well post the thread. I got curious as to why it was bad as afaik absolute unit is a UK slang thing and chonk was the fat cat chart posted earlier. Guess thicc and she comin could easily be what they're talking about as they don't specify what part was actually wrong.

https://twitter.com/MontereyAq/status/1075507604950966274

https://twitter.com/MontereyAq/status/1075507605550686208

https://twitter.com/MontereyAq/status/1075507606049808384

https://twitter.com/MontereyAq/status/1075507606645465088

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I'm guessing it's the "oh lawd" part

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Fishstick posted:

I'm guessing it's the "oh lawd" part
I think this

quote:

In particular, several terms referenced originated from African American Vernacular English (AAVE) and specifically reference Black women's bodies.
is definitely referencing "thicc." "OH LAWD" is arguably AAVE but is definitely referencing the chonker meme, which has no relation to black and/or women bodies.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

jobson groeth posted:

May as well post the thread. I got curious as to why it was bad as afaik absolute unit is a UK slang thing and chonk was the fat cat chart posted earlier. Guess thicc and she comin could easily be what they're talking about as they don't specify what part was actually wrong.

https://twitter.com/MontereyAq/status/1075507604950966274

https://twitter.com/MontereyAq/status/1075507605550686208

https://twitter.com/MontereyAq/status/1075507606049808384

https://twitter.com/MontereyAq/status/1075507606645465088

This feels so dril

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I'd say the ship has sailed on "thicc" being a word only black people are allowed to use/a word that refers exclusively to black women's bodies.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Crocoswine posted:

I'd say the ship has sailed on "thicc" being a word only black people are allowed to use/a word that refers exclusively to black women's bodies.

That's definitely a valid point. The fact that they've taken this as a learning / teaching moment rather than digging in is a nice change though.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
https://twitter.com/UoLYoungTories/status/1075105679592079361
Young tories are tattling to the university that they can't get girls because of their garbage personalities.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

It is rather otterizing. otherizing

http://discourseontheotter.tumblr.com/

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

JT Smiley posted:

It's just an academic term, being stuffy and overly technical it part of it's charm. I think AAVE replaced Ebonics when people were being too racist about the latter.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

Obviously you didn’t minor in communications at a liberal arts college like I d-ahh gently caress that’s even whiter!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
its stupid. and anyone pissy about calling an otter thicc needs to find a less stupid thing to be mad about. I mean its almost 2019 ffs and you are mad at an aquarium.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I mean, people are entitled to be sensitive about things that matter to them and the aquarium is entitled to take that as seriously as they feel like. In this case they decided not hurting someone's feelings was more important to their public image than using a meme. Nobody really lost anything and it was a pretty graceful apology, even if it's not a major issue in my eyes, I can't really be mad about how it seems to have gone

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

hell, same

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

I like to imagine they received a very vague omen. Just a place, a span of time, and the number 11. With that, they can stop the Antichrist... If they were correct in their interpretation.

Man, "The Prince of Tides 2" got really weird.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Huntersoninski posted:

I mean, people are entitled to be sensitive about things that matter to them and the aquarium is entitled to take that as seriously as they feel like. In this case they decided not hurting someone's feelings was more important to their public image than using a meme. Nobody really lost anything and it was a pretty graceful apology, even if it's not a major issue in my eyes, I can't really be mad about how it seems to have gone

Although looking at the replies I didn’t actually see anyone who did get upset so the cynic in me can’t help but wonder if the whole thing from tweet to apology was planned from the get-go.

Social media has poisoned me

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

christmas boots posted:

Although looking at the replies I didn’t actually see anyone who did get upset so the cynic in me can’t help but wonder if the whole thing from tweet to apology was planned from the get-go.

Social media has poisoned me

Given what normally goes down on Twitter, I can't really muster up any level of caring about this.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Aave is Finnish for ghost so I assume that everybody is talking about ghosts

Andrast has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Dec 20, 2018

Standard Measure
Sep 5, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
The problem with their teaching/learning moment is I have zero idea what i'm supposed to be learning or what they're teaching

"Some words have black origins"? Okay and?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Standard Measure posted:

on one level, it's not good to appropriate african american culture

on another level, people on twitter who are aware of this will police the hell out of each other looking for apostates because the entire point of social media is to get into arguments, and if you block/refuse to engage with people you actually disagree with then you'll end up arguing with the people who are in 99% agreement with you about how that 1% condemns them as a class traitor

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

There's a human being called "Bill Deagle" and he's not a Counterstrike Esports Commentator

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/Lowenaffchen/status/1075777963923107841?s=19

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

we've been swindled into donating all our money to a (((jewish))) scam instead of a patriotic WHITE american scam

Standard Measure
Sep 5, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

luxury handset posted:

on one level, it's not good to appropriate african american culture

on another level, people on twitter who are aware of this will police the hell out of each other looking for apostates because the entire point of social media is to get into arguments, and if you block/refuse to engage with people you actually disagree with then you'll end up arguing with the people who are in 99% agreement with you about how that 1% condemns them as a class traitor

I misrepresent myself. the concept and why it can be bad is fine. the "some" is my problem.

It's fine if you apologise, but don't frame it as a teaching moment if we had to have a page of conversation trying to work out what you were apologising for.

also yes, purity tests are bullshit.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Standard Measure posted:

The problem with their teaching/learning moment is I have zero idea what i'm supposed to be learning or what they're teaching

Understanding the origins of words or phrases helps you avoid using them in an insensitive way. Also these sorta slip ups are worse when it's corporate entities doing it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ularg posted:

Understanding the origins of words or phrases helps you avoid using them in an insensitive way. Also these sorta slip ups are worse when it's corporate entities doing it.

I dunno, american slang is american slang. The fact that some american slang is coined by swarthy americans shouldn't mean you have to fail a paper bag test before you're allowed to use it. Deliberately excluding any slang that isn't lily white in origin would just be another kind of discrimination.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Facebook Aunt posted:

I dunno, american slang is american slang. The fact that some american slang is coined by swarthy americans shouldn't mean you have to fail a paper bag test before you're allowed to use it. Deliberately excluding any slang that isn't lily white in origin would just be another kind of discrimination.

On the one hand I want to agree with you in spirit, on the other hand this is word-for-word the argument an ex-friend would use when he complained that the real racism was against white people for not being allowed to say the n-word.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

wizzardstaff posted:

On the one hand I want to agree with you in spirit, on the other hand this is word-for-word the argument an ex-friend would use when he complained that the real racism was against white people for not being allowed to say the n-word.

I know. poo poo is complicated and there isn't an easy way to make everyone happy.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Are we back on the cultural appropriation discussion? There's no easy demarcation line as to what is ok cultural appropriation and what is an act of colonial oppression. With the particular context of black American dialects, the problems around have less to do with white people "taking" the culture than they do with white people mocking black people using it, in the same way that having a pimps and hos party at your frat is an act of mockery, since white people often reference speech as a sign of inferiority. Simply put, every act the dominant culture does is suspect, but that does not make every act harmful cultural appropriation. White American culture is the culture of colonialism, and this legacy is inescapable, so don't expect an easy rule of thumb.

Whether or not this aquarium tweet was that (I really don't think it was), the worthless performative wokeness of twitter is actually a problem beyond just purity tests. Social media isn't a conversation, it's a performance and a branding exercise, and only becomes moreso this every year as employers begin actively mining social media for information on workers. There's no substance to any of these callouts, no substantive critiques, no grappling with why AAVE is appropriated the way it is or the power relations behind it. Even the context it gives is generic and a dead end. Are they implying that period assumed the tweet was comparing black women to otters? It leads a type of lazy slacktivist thinking that is purely inward looking and focused on self-policing for symbolic acts, and it is absolute poison to activist work and solidarity thinking, especially among the bougie white people it is most common in, since they often have no other game of reference though which to view social justice ideas.

Beelzebufo has a new favorite as of 20:00 on Dec 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

No one is worse off as a result of the aquarium's response and nobody would be better off if they ignored the criticism so why does it matter Jesus Christ