Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Is that the ultimania that confirms Rhinoa isnt Ultemecia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Barudak posted:

Yes, it should be - the mythical one that was never released in English until now!

so far all I've learned is that the original bare-bones idea to FF7 was like a fever dream of FF8 combined with Chrono Trigger, some kind of father-and-son thing, where you could play in either the present or the past and the one would affect the other, and also, for some reason, half the game (all the past segments) would have been sepia-toned

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I love how my favorite Cloud quote ever happens too be his first quote in his section in the book

He better tell everyone to mosey in the Remake or this poo poo was never worth the time spent waiting for it

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
anyone got a link to awful fantasy 3?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Relin posted:

anyone got a link to awful fantasy 3?

I can put it up once I'm home tonight, if no-one's been able to help you out before then.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Here: https://igrat.co/awfulfantasy.zip

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
thank you

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Barudak posted:

I still don't understand how anyone took that theory seriously to the point it needed to be specifically addressed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

I still don't understand how anyone took that theory seriously to the point it needed to be specifically addressed.

Its a game that functions on a closed time loop and the final boss has a phase based on the class ring you give rhinoa. For all its unsupported dumbness at least it adds a narrative element that ties to the romance theme and gives ultemecia something resembling a character motivation unlike squall is dead.

It doesnt matter because what I want in an FFVIII-2 is to card battle Hyne.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

why are you spelling her name like that

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
God imagine how much better FF8 would have been if Rinoa was a Rhino.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

why are you spelling her name like that

Pretend its a deep commentary about Rinoa, Rhinestones, and Rhinos and not that I forget how to spell her name.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Go talk to a rhino.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

The White Dragon posted:

tidus exploded, but then he came back to life. sin too

This holiday season, please remember our lord and saviour, master Tightass.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Nephzinho posted:

Like the above poster pointed out, considering the game ends with Ultimecia passing his powers to Edea, which is a lol plot twist, Rinoa being Ultimecia is not that dumb by comparison

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Barudak posted:

Its a game that functions on a closed time loop and the final boss has a phase based on the class ring you give rhinoa. For all its unsupported dumbness at least it adds a narrative element that ties to the romance theme and gives ultemecia something resembling a character motivation unlike squall is dead.

It doesnt matter because what I want in an FFVIII-2 is to card battle Hyne.

Squall is Dead only had traction because the story's so loving dumb that "fevered dreams of a dying kid" made more sense than the story as-written.

Rinoa as Ultimecia was still the dumber of the two theories.

SE was even dumber for not saying one (or both) theories were right because both of them are better than the story being played straight.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Squall is Dead only had traction because the story's so loving dumb that "fevered dreams of a dying kid" made more sense than the story as-written.

SE was even dumber for not saying one (or both) theories were right because both of them are better than the story being played straight.

No, they aren't. They are hackneyed and dumb.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I like R=U but it's based on a misapprehension that Sorceresses are immortal until they pass on their powers. Which, to be fair, is the game's fault. Ultimecai literally has to travel through time to pass on her power before she could die and Esthar's rebels has to shoot Adel into space. It really makes you think that a Sorceress absolutely cannot die without passing on their powers like a Highlander Immortal or something. Which...is an oddly fitting comparison now I think on it given the Hyne poo poo.

It also rather reminds me of how most fans of FFX thought Braska's Calm lasted ten years. This isn't really said anywhere but it's a natural inference based on the facts actually given to you in the game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I skip over 200 pages of posts and of course the page I catch up on is talking about FF8

Barudak
May 7, 2007

precision posted:

I skip over 200 pages of posts and of course the page I catch up on is talking about FF8

Every page is about FF8, the best and only Final Fantasy game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

NikkolasKing posted:

It also rather reminds me of how most fans of FFX thought Braska's Calm lasted ten years. This isn't really said anywhere but it's a natural inference based on the facts actually given to you in the game.

Did it not? I thought there was this whole "ten years of peace" thing that came up at some point, and Yuna being 7 when Kimhari became her teddy bear guardian fits.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Did it not? I thought there was this whole "ten years of peace" thing that came up at some point, and Yuna being 7 when Kimhari became her teddy bear guardian fits.

Yes, exactly. Those are the dates and times you are given and you just kinda connect them in your mind.
-Braska defeated Sin ten years ago.
-Yuna is on a Pilgrimage now to defeat Sin.
-Ergo, Sin has been dead for ten years and just recently came back.

That is not the case as per the FFX Ultimania.
http://auronlu.istad.org/ffx-script/pmogs-ffx-ultimania-translations/official-spiran-timeline-pmog/

quote:

10 years ago
– Summoner Braska defeats Sin using Jecht as the fayth for his Final Summoning, and becomes a high summoner.
BRASKA’S CALM
– Auron challenges Yunalesca by himself, and is mortally wounded.
– Kimahri’s horn is broken by Biran and he leaves Gagazet, unable to bear the shame.
– A dying Auron entrusts Yuna to Kimahri on the outskirts of Bevelle and then passes away. He becomes an Unsent.
– With the arrival of the Calm, the Guado’s internal discord subsides. Following that trend, Seymour’s exile is revoked. He returns to Guadosalam and assists his father as a priest.
– Kimahri brings Yuna to Besaid Village.
– Auron rides Jecht’s Sin to Dream Zanarkand and begins to watch over Tidus.

9 years ago

– Jyscal, leader of the Guado, and Kelk, leader of the Ronso, become maesters of Yevon.
(As part of Mika’s Sub-Races Appeasement Policy.)
* Tidus’ mother dies from a broken heart over Jecht’s death.
– The sixth Sin appears publicly, with Braska’s Final Aeon (Jecht) as its core.

So basically Braska's Calm lasted a few months to a year.

Also I never even thought about the fact Auron's been in Dream Zanarkand for ten years and he got there explicitly by riding Sin which obviously means there was already a new Sin created for him to ride.

This makes the whole game seem so loving stupid, though. People can understand dying to bring about a decade free from a super powerful doomwhale. That's probably another reason why people believed Braska's Calm lasted ten years. But the fact it only lasted at most one year is loving ridiculous and nobody is going to die for that. Yuna's Calm would have lasted a month or something.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 20, 2018

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I never even thought about the fact Auron's been in Dream Zanarkand for ten years and he got there explicitly by riding Sin which obviously means there was already a new Sin created for him to ride.

A smaller detail, but did we ever learn how long ago Lulu's previous summoner died? I remember assuming it was years before the game, but never connected that to Sin's reappearance.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

aegof posted:

A smaller detail, but did we ever learn how long ago Lulu's previous summoner died? I remember assuming it was years before the game, but never connected that to Sin's reappearance.

According to the timeline she died two years before the game. But I don't think we are given a timeframe in the game itself about when that pilgrimage happened.

Although now you mention it, Wakka and Lulu were on the Pilgrimage one year before the start of the game with Father Zuke. Remember, that's when Chappu died.

The assumption Braska's Calm lasted ten years is really full of holes when you think about it but I and so many others believed it.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 20, 2018

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

This makes the whole game seem so loving stupid, though. People can understand dying to bring about a decade free from a super powerful doomwhale. That's probably another reason why people believed Braska's Calm lasted ten years. But the fact it only lasted at most one year is loving ridiculous and nobody is going to die for that. Yuna's Calm would have lasted a month or something.

Am I misremembering that they specifically mention that the Calms are getting shorter and shorter with each subsequent sacrifice?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

NikkolasKing posted:

Cripes, what a ripoff. Spira was in a bad way.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Every page is about FF8, the best and only Final Fantasy game.

Same but unironically

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This thread is an irony free zone

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Yes, exactly. Those are the dates and times you are given and you just kinda connect them in your mind.
-Braska defeated Sin ten years ago.
-Yuna is on a Pilgrimage now to defeat Sin.
-Ergo, Sin has been dead for ten years and just recently came back.

That is not the case as per the FFX Ultimania.
http://auronlu.istad.org/ffx-script/pmogs-ffx-ultimania-translations/official-spiran-timeline-pmog/

Things would make more sense if it lasted 10 or so years, and a lot about the actual state of Spira makes it seem like the Calm ended fairly recently. Everything in Spira seems to be rather intact. Sin fucks a lot of things up over the course of the game, but you don't really run into things that got hosed up by Sin like a year ago. It's always "Sin hosed this place up like 15 years ago and we've rebuilt since then" like Besaid or "Sin is here loving this place up right now" like Kilika. If Sin has been continuously active for 9 years unimpeded you'd expect to run into places in the process of reconstruction.

Also, the Crusaders seem to be pretty numerous. In the one battle we see them fight against Sin they get absolutely crushed, and, considering the only other battle we hear about them fighting(the one a year ago where Wakka's brother got killed) didn't sound like it went well either, that seems to be the norm. So you'd think that, if they take heavy casualties in their battles with Sin that they'd be low on numbers except after a Calm, and so Braska's Calm lasting 9 or so years would give them time to replenish their numbers, get cocky, fight the battle where Chappu dies, form their alliance with the Al Bhed and then get wiped out in Operation Mi'ihen. That all seems to line up.

Then you have the fact that there's only ever been 4 Calms. They're not feeding Sin a summoner every year, almost all summoners fail to get that far. It's an incredibly dangerous journey that typically ends in failure and always ends in death. The few who complete it are revered by everyone and those who attempt the journey are given huge amounts of support. As a guardian you can just talk to random people and they'll give you free poo poo. Everyone loves you and is placing all their hopes on your success, as unlikely as it may be. This makes sense if success means 10 or so years of peace. That's enough time for the young children of the time to grow up into young adults free from the spectre of death, and every parent would want that for their kids. That's worth pinning your hopes on, even if it's unlikely. This is basically what Yuna says to Tidus when he says that there's no point in killing Sin if it comes back, and if you watch that scene thinking that a Calm lasts a decade or even a few years you'll probably agree with her. But if it's a few months, why would anyone particularly care? In the incredibly unlikely event of your success, little billy might get to have a better than average summer vacation. Is that really worth feeding the thing an endless conga line of summoners?

But despite all that, despite the fact that no part of the plot really requires it to be the case and it makes all sorts of things incredibly dumb, apparently the calm actually lasted like 1 year at the absolute maximum. On the bright side this does make the Al Bhed summoner kidnappings actually understandable because they're really not accomplishing anything besides killing themselves.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Saying a character was dead all along is boring and poo poo and in like 99 percent of cases is just a way for the person espousing it to not engage with the narrative in favor of just trying to be edgy

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
What about Auron

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

mandatory lesbian posted:

Saying a character was dead all along is boring and poo poo and in like 99 percent of cases is just a way for the person espousing it to not engage with the narrative in favor of just trying to be edgy
In other words it's a way for people who didn't like it to try and pretend well actually it doesn't even exist so there.

Rinoa is Ultimecia's touches a lot of the same themes about the othering of sorceresses that I'm much more ok with the idea.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

cock hero flux posted:

In the incredibly unlikely event of your success, little billy might get to have a better than average summer vacation. Is that really worth feeding the thing an endless conga line of summoners?
it's incredibly stupid but for a thing that can wipe out an entire village in a minute , and leave an army of monsters in its wake that it might come back for, Not having to worry about sudden, unpredictable death and destruction for even a month, a lot of people are gonna take that offer.

That said if so many summoners fail and die, youd think they'd at least try to make that journey safer then just throw literally whomever offers to volunteer at them as bodyguards.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Tengames posted:

it's incredibly stupid but for a thing that can wipe out an entire village in a minute , and leave an army of monsters in its wake that it might come back for, Not having to worry about sudden, unpredictable death and destruction for even a month, a lot of people are gonna take that offer.

That said if so many summoners fail and die, youd think they'd at least try to make that journey safer then just throw literally whomever offers to volunteer at them as bodyguards.

It's a hosed up world where people die at the drop of a hat and everyone is insanely stupid as evidenced by their clothes. Beggars can't be choosers

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I remember something saying the Calms lasted for like a hundred years to just a few months the last time, but Tidus doesn’t really ask about it otherwise the “we need to try another way before it’s truly pointless” argument would make way more sense from him.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Tengames posted:

You're assuming that the leaders of Spira aren't ok with having a giant murder whale wreaking havoc every day.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hey so what is Ultimecia's deal really? What do we know about her?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gologle posted:

She is winning the war on the letter C

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

cock hero flux posted:

Things would make more sense if it lasted 10 or so years, and a lot about the actual state of Spira makes it seem like the Calm ended fairly recently. Everything in Spira seems to be rather intact. Sin fucks a lot of things up over the course of the game, but you don't really run into things that got hosed up by Sin like a year ago. It's always "Sin hosed this place up like 15 years ago and we've rebuilt since then" like Besaid or "Sin is here loving this place up right now" like Kilika. If Sin has been continuously active for 9 years unimpeded you'd expect to run into places in the process of reconstruction.

Also, the Crusaders seem to be pretty numerous. In the one battle we see them fight against Sin they get absolutely crushed, and, considering the only other battle we hear about them fighting(the one a year ago where Wakka's brother got killed) didn't sound like it went well either, that seems to be the norm. So you'd think that, if they take heavy casualties in their battles with Sin that they'd be low on numbers except after a Calm, and so Braska's Calm lasting 9 or so years would give them time to replenish their numbers, get cocky, fight the battle where Chappu dies, form their alliance with the Al Bhed and then get wiped out in Operation Mi'ihen. That all seems to line up.

Then you have the fact that there's only ever been 4 Calms. They're not feeding Sin a summoner every year, almost all summoners fail to get that far. It's an incredibly dangerous journey that typically ends in failure and always ends in death. The few who complete it are revered by everyone and those who attempt the journey are given huge amounts of support. As a guardian you can just talk to random people and they'll give you free poo poo. Everyone loves you and is placing all their hopes on your success, as unlikely as it may be. This makes sense if success means 10 or so years of peace. That's enough time for the young children of the time to grow up into young adults free from the spectre of death, and every parent would want that for their kids. That's worth pinning your hopes on, even if it's unlikely. This is basically what Yuna says to Tidus when he says that there's no point in killing Sin if it comes back, and if you watch that scene thinking that a Calm lasts a decade or even a few years you'll probably agree with her. But if it's a few months, why would anyone particularly care? In the incredibly unlikely event of your success, little billy might get to have a better than average summer vacation. Is that really worth feeding the thing an endless conga line of summoners?

But despite all that, despite the fact that no part of the plot really requires it to be the case and it makes all sorts of things incredibly dumb, apparently the calm actually lasted like 1 year at the absolute maximum. On the bright side this does make the Al Bhed summoner kidnappings actually understandable because they're really not accomplishing anything besides killing themselves.

I think maybe the unspoken implication is that using Jecht for the final aeon really hosed things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gologle posted:

She is from some unspecified point IN THE FUTURE.
She apparently heard some prophecy about a SeeD killing her.
She decided to erase all beings in existence with Time Kompression because then nobody can have the chance to kill her.
She used a future version of Odine's Junction Machine Ellone to travel back to FFVIII present to find real Ellone to go back even further because for some reason she needs to go back further to initiate Time Kompression.
By doing this she enabled the destined SeeD to kill her. Typical self-fulfilling prophecy stuff.

That's really it. People try vainly to give her some depth and a sob story about her being persecuted or something based on her Edea speech in Deling City but that goes nowhere and is supported by nothing as far as I know.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

You're assuming that the leaders of Spira aren't ok with having a giant murder whale wreaking havoc every day.

Kinoc: "Enlightened rule by the dead is preferable to the misguided failures of the living."

Seymour: "Life is but a passing dream, but the death that follows is eternal."

Mika: "Men die. Beasts die. Trees die. Even continents perish. Only the power of death truly commands in Spira. Resisting its power is futile."

I always loved the trial scene, especially Mika's lines there.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 20, 2018