Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
I've been getting a couple writs every day. If I finish it I'll put extras in the guild bank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem
Sep 17, 2009
I've gotten 3 or 4 writs, but I've only been doing the dailies on one character because I'm lazy

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, you only get Indrik tickets once per day, but I've noticed you can do the activities repeatedly.

Do you get holiday boxes once per day, or every time you complete an activity? Could I do a bunch of them back to back in hopes of getting writs?

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Yes, every character can do 8 New Life quests per day that give new life boxes, each of which could have a writ inside.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Right after I made that post about holding out for a sale on crowns...

This morning on the in-game advertising banner thing it said "crowns are on sale!" ...which they aren't, and it quickly got pulled from the banner. I think maybe they let slip by accident that a sale is imminent. :tinfoil:

My game of chicken continues.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
I have seven, but I bought two.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
So ESO Plus is a curse.

If you have ESO Plus the DLC dungeons gets put into your dungeon finder rotation and it seems the chance to get sent there is very high.
Virtually every time i have done a group finder on my level 50 after signing up for ESO Plus i have gotten sent to a DLC dungeon. Dungeons that are much more difficult than the vanilla ones, dungeons that few players are familiar with, dungeons that take 3-4 times as long as the vanilla ones, dungeons with loot just as bad as the vanilla dungeons (After hitting 50 and acquiring 240 champion points i have gotten exactly zero gear upgrades)

So basically ESO Plus is a curse.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Reach into the infinite butt that is your crafting bag.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Trip Report: The Belkarth apple basket method of leveling legerdemain is cool and good and works. I hit 20 Legerdemain today!

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Will ESO plus give me access to DLC zones such as Summerset, Morrowind, Dark Brotherhood etc as well as the Warden class, or will I have to buy those separately?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Stalins Moustache posted:

Will ESO plus give me access to DLC zones such as Summerset, Morrowind, Dark Brotherhood etc as well as the Warden class, or will I have to buy those separately?
You will get access to the DLC zones, which means everything except Summerset, which at the moment counts as an expansion*.
I think for the Warden you have to purchase separately.

* Morrowind however was an expansion and now is included in ESO+ so in the future Summerset might get the same treatment.

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Trip Report: The Belkarth apple basket method of leveling legerdemain is cool and good and works. I hit 20 Legerdemain today!

What is this method that you speak of?

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So just starting this game with a friend, and we're both curious about classes. Is that the class choice do not matter at all, or is it that the classes themselves are highly customizable? If I, for example, choose to play Nightblade and I find out I really hate playing the class, will it be incredibly difficult for me to change the role and be a mage instead because of how the spell system works, or?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Basically every class can DPS in both a magic way or a stamina (weapon) way, but all the classes play and feel pretty differently. Class choice matters a lot, because that determines how do DPS in either way, but all of them are fun.

In my personal opinion the easiest class to play, especially if you are new, is Magic Templar.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

zjentohlauedy posted:

What is this method that you speak of?

At the Belkarth docks there is an apple farm with a ton of apple baskets and some miscellaneous containers. Each basket gives 1-3 apples, and in one trip you can net 40-60 apples, in addition to whatever is in the other containers. There is only one guard.

The outlaw's den entrance is right next to the apple farm. Load screens refresh the containers, which means if you fence and leave the den the apple farm is back to normal and ready to loot again. You can easily knock out 130 sold + 130 laundered in about 10 minutes.

edit: The downside is that my crafting bag has hundreds of apples in it.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So figured I'd stick with Warden as that seems more alligned with my interests in gameplay; support capabilities yet able to dish out some cool DPS (also animals.)
However, after looking around some more in the forums and all, I honestly don't know what the poo poo people are talking about :psyduck: Stamsorcs? Magiwards?

I assume these are leveled up attributes corresponding with the costs of abilities that you use in a DPS / tanking / healing rotation, yeah? If so, I do get the impression that things are much more meta than I thought. Is it still possible for me to be playing as a DPS Warden dark elf? Because apparently race is more important than only cosmetic, and will determine thousands of DPS, which honestly bums me out quite a lot.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Basically any role/race/class combination is viable except in the high-end veteran group content. Dark Elf DPS Warden is fine, though your racial passives favor a magicka build, and magicka wardens are one of the harder DPS builds to do well. I play one myself, and I enjoy it, but it's not what I would personally recommend for someone's first character. Stick with it if you're enjoying it, though.

Main thing to know is that for DPS, all good builds put their stat points either entirely in magicka, or entirely in stamina, because all damage dealing/healing skills scale with your max magicka or stamina. If you already messed this up, respecs can be done at shrines in the capital cities, are not too expensive, and are cheaper the fewer points you have distributed. Also you get scrolls for a free stat and skill respec at level 40-something.

Edit: Alcast has excellent build guides you'll want to refer to. They're good for giving you an idea of what to work toward, even if you don't care about optimizing every aspect of your character, and I rarely follow them exactly myself.

https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-warden-build-pve/
https://alcasthq.com/eso-magicka-warden-healer-build-pve/

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 20, 2018

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
The 2 ways to tailor your character to a big damage potential is to go either all in on magica or all in on stamina.
If you go for magica you will use abilities that cost magica, for stamina you will use skills that costs stamina.

The names for the builds you see are just amalgamations of magica/stamina and the class name, e.g.

Magplar = magica templar
Stamplar = stamina templar
Magblade = magica nightblade

etc

Once you start looking into more focused builds for specific activities the names can be even more specific, e.g. "beamplar" is a templar that has a strong focus on using a templar skill that looks like a beam of light (this is a magica skill)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Stalins Moustache posted:

Because apparently race is more important than only cosmetic, and will determine thousands of DPS, which honestly bums me out quite a lot.

Race is incredibly unimportant unless you're trying to be maximum poopsock. People regularly do endgame content as whatever race/class they want.

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
has anyone spotted the winter broadbrim hat pack in the crown store yet? got to get my fashion on

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

ExParrot posted:

has anyone spotted the winter broadbrim hat pack in the crown store yet? got to get my fashion on

I think it might have come and gone... Better to check the store daily than ask here!

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
i was afraid it had done that, was hoping it would stick around for the whole event

KoB
May 1, 2009
Is the Summerset expansion something I should have right off the bat or is it more for someone who already finished the base ESO stuff?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I wouldn't say it's necessary. You can still do some high elf stuff in Auridon without getting the expansion.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Holy poo poo, staves count as 2 items for sets now! When did that happen? Great stuff!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Crowns are on sale, for real this time! Top discount of 40% on the huge pack, like last time.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I can only be assed to do the event dailies on one character, but yesterday I did them on another, and just like my main's first round of quests I got two charity writs. Is that just coincidence or do they drop more frequently in the beginning? I haven't lucked into a single one aside from those and they're still going for like 30K each.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

It's just RNG.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Total RNG. On PCNA they've dipped to about 20-25k per, probably going to be the lowest they'll be at so buy them while you can.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Running those quests with the double XP is a really fast way to level up alts, so I've been grinding out as many as I could on as many characters as I could. I hit 12 writs a couple days ago and I think I've only gotten 3 total since then. I've been giving my extras to a buddy who's having terrible luck.

The ice skin is so cool-looking, though, I made a new character just to use it. I'm doing a warden using all the ice skills and an ice staff, so I guess that means I'll be a tank? I should probably look for an ice tanking build that isn't poo poo, but it's pretty much a gimmick character anyway. So tempting to buy all the ice-themed mounts, pets, weapons etc. that are on the store right now...

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Nerd Of Prey posted:

The ice skin is so cool-looking, though, I made a new character just to use it. I'm doing a warden using all the ice skills and an ice staff, so I guess that means I'll be a tank? I should probably look for an ice tanking build that isn't poo poo, but it's pretty much a gimmick character anyway. So tempting to buy all the ice-themed mounts, pets, weapons etc. that are on the store right now...

I have a gimmick ice DPS warden based on Alcast's Fire & Ice build, and you may or may not want to do something like that if tanking doesn't appeal strongly to you. Really can't blame you if you don't want to farm Maelstrom Arena for the Winterborn set, though, and you barely notice the proc when you're using Winter's Revenge anyway. Also Arctic Blast sucks, even moreso since they changed it. I replaced it with Channeled Acceleration some time after recording this video.

Rollersnake posted:

I apologize for anything bad I may have said about DPS mag warden in the past. I still wouldn't recommend it to a new player, but it can work well, offers more possibilities than I originally thought, and I've been having a lot of fun with it. It allowed me to do this gimmick build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsrKJ957q3M

Behold, the most ice-centric build you can have without being a tank. No frost staff, of course, but I'm using both the Iceheart and Winterborn armor sets, using Force Pulse as my spammable because Winterborn procs from cold damage abilities, and getting as much offensive use out of the Winter's Embrace tree as I possibly can (Winter's Revenge, Arctic Blast, Permafrost ultimate). It works well enough that I can just wander up to a random group boss I've never fought before and be reasonably confident I can solo it on my first try. (I'm a vampire and this boss uses fire attacks, so it was a bad choice, but I still made it, using only one potion.)

Sustain problems could probably be mitigated by going with Northern Storm instead of Permafrost and actually remembering to resummon Blue Betty. I'd also like to have Ice Meteor at some point, but ugh, lorebooks.

I like this character so much, I got him a mount to match his outfit. :toot:

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 22, 2018

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
So, will there be anything else we can spend our event tickets on? I've got the mount and eleven tickets.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

You'll be able to buy berries for the mount to "evolve" it to different forms. Whatever that means. Which apparently also means you'll be able to buy the same feathers over and over until you have all 5 Indrik variations.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah, from what I can tell you need a new nascent indrik every time you want to get one of the fancy ones, because it deletes it from your collection and replaces it. And then if you really want the complete set you can get a nascent one at the end and not evolve it.

They can basically keep this poo poo going forever.

So long story short, always hoard as many tickets as you can. And I guess buy extra feathers if you hit the cap and you know you'll be able to get more.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I finally decided to get on the New Life train and have done like five or six quests over the past day and gotten a single Writ. I'm....thinking I should try to sell 'em towards bag space? There's no way I am getting twelve of these, even if I power through several a day from now til the 2nd.

This is a huuuuuge pain as a player with a fresh character that only really messed around Vvardenfell and Summerset. I'm leveling up and unlocking a ton of wayshrines just running around, but yeeeeeesh. Also, the stupid fishing quest in Shadowen took me forever even after finding a fishing spot because it just kept feeding me the first two fish types.

Totally worth it for the experience alone, though, and I'm getting a bunch of Skinchanger unlocks and stuff which is super cool.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Once you figure out how all the quests work and get the wayshrines unlocked, you can do all of them each day on multiple characters, and that definitely helps your odds of getting writs. It's also, like you said, great XP for your alts. I've really been actively doing these quests on only 3 characters, and I've been too busy to play every day, and I got 12 writs in about a week.

I've mentioned this before: The trick to unlocking wayshrines on a new character is, if you get into any large guilds, just look in the roster for anybody in the right zone and "travel to player" and it will dump you at the nearest wayshrine to them. Odds are good of getting the exact right one, with everybody doing the event. If you're not in a big guild you can get a friend to give you a "ride" by hanging around the wayshrine for a minute so you can travel to them.

In any case getting to the wayshrines is only a pain in the rear end once per character. Once they're unlocked you can just farm these quests to your heart's content!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hahahaha, "alts" - my old Dark Elf that I haven't logged into in probably a year is sitting at 16, and I finally just surpassed that with the Argonian Warden I've been playing since getting Morrowind and shot right up to freaking 20, these holiday quests are insane XP.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

So make more characters? It's to your advantage in many ways, and now is the perfect time. You can have a level 1 character doing these quests within minutes, if you want to, and you'll rack up XP crazy fast doing so. I'm just saying, if you have any interest in getting the ice skin, which is pretty rad, it's not actually that much work. And not out of reach for a newbie at all!

I started playing right around when this even happened last year, and I pretty easily got the magnanimous title on my first character, largely by plowing some alts through the quests, and swapping motifs with a friend. There's a lot of fun "runebox" prizes you can win too, though they are all dirt cheap on guild traders right now if you wanted to go that route.

I actually got "magnanimous" on a new character this year too, without actually trying. Once you know how to get the achievement from each daily they're mostly pretty easy, and I kind of do them out of habit. Once I realized my dude was almost there, I bought three cheap things off a trader to complete the motif/recipe achievements.

I guess it helps that I like this event a lot, I think these are the most entertaining daily quests I've seen in an MMO, you can get a lot of cool poo poo and it's not a serious grind.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
It's kind of the perfect balance of just being interesting enough to keep you engaged, but routine enough that you can pay sufficient attention to Netflix while you play.

I've been doing all the dailies on a single toon since it started and I'm at 10 writs, which feels fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w
The writs have also been steadily coming down in price since the event started and should be affordable by the time the event ends.