Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

SeANMcBAY posted:

You’d probably be better off playing it semi-portably through the Wii U. The game looks like a lovely mess on 3DS. It’s impressive they got it to work as well as it did in the first place but not the ideal way to play it.
I own the 3DS version, and it doesn't look that bad. As mentioned, the game doesn't look all that great on Wii, and honestly aside from some screen real estate issues, the 3DS version doesn't look noticeably worse than the original. If I compared them side-by-side I'd probably be able to tell the difference, but without direct comparison they look pretty much the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
How's Miitopia? Nintendo just put it and Planet Robobot on sale for 50% off in NA, and I have a birthday discount I can use on it to bring it down even more.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For that price? Grab it, it's a cute little game. Don't expect hardcore RPG mechanics though. But if you enjoy the Tomodachi Life kinda game, or seeing your friends or favorite random characters doing weird things, then go for it.

Also Toby Fox made a good Great Sage in my game. And then spoilers happened and it was hilarious.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Has anybody here had their battery go bad? I pulled my 3DS off the charger for the first time in a few months yesterday and the battery died within minutes. And every time I turned it back on it would die quickly. I read online that letting the battery run out then charging it to full while turned off a few times might cycle the battery and fix it but I literally can’t run out the battery, it won’t stay on long enough to drain.

Has anyone had to change their battery? Does it do anything to the system memory? Should I be worried about losing any data? I have a 32gb SD card with most of my data on it but I’m sure some save data is still on the system memory. I’m not super thrilled about buying a new battery but it’s cheaper than replacing the whole system I guess.
Weirdly enough mine is doing this too. I decided to charge it up yesterday because I wanted to take a look at the eShop sale, and it died within a few minutes. I remembered there being a recent discussion about dead batteries in here. I will have to check it out when I get home to see if it has swelled up like you and others described.

Is it possible to get replacement batteries from Nintendo?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

Is it possible to get replacement batteries from Nintendo?

Yeah: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat970134

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I thought my second hand 2DS XL's battery had gone bad, but apparently New Leaf is just a battery hog.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

ty x

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You can buy identical batteries on Amazon, if you have prime and want to get it quicker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06ZZNR12Q?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

It’s definitely the real deal, it was identical to the one already in my system.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You can buy identical batteries on Amazon, if you have prime and want to get it quicker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06ZZNR12Q?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

It’s definitely the real deal, it was identical to the one already in my system.

... this is the most fundamental misunderstanding of batteries, Amazon resellers and China I have ever seen. :psyduck:

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

endlessmonotony posted:

... this is the most fundamental misunderstanding of batteries, Amazon resellers and China I have ever seen. :psyduck:

There's even a review from 2017 saying that they got one that isn't the same. I know it looks the same as the old on you had in there OP, they just got better at faking the replacement battery covers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I got my kid a Super Mario Maker 2ds for Christmas and transferred all his old stuff to it. I have my own New 3DS XL, but wondering what to do with his old 2DS. I've thought about modding it but not sure if there's anything with doing with a modded system other than piracy which I absolutely won't do. Is there any primer for fun non-piracy stuff you can do with a modded system? Every video I've tried to watch about it is just freeshop tutorial.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If you have a bunch of 3DS cartridges, you can dump your own digital copies of the games. Not technically piracy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nah I'm almost all digital.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I got my kid a Super Mario Maker 2ds for Christmas and transferred all his old stuff to it. I have my own New 3DS XL, but wondering what to do with his old 2DS. I've thought about modding it but not sure if there's anything with doing with a modded system other than piracy which I absolutely won't do. Is there any primer for fun non-piracy stuff you can do with a modded system? Every video I've tried to watch about it is just freeshop tutorial.

If you don't consider GBA games piracy, 3DS family systems make for great ways to play GBA roms, because when injected into the Ambassador compatability layer, they run more accurately and with less lag than any software solution because they're running on almost bare metal. Great way to play the Mother 3 translation!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well I have a ton of gba, gbc, gb, and even virtual boy carts so I wouldn't feel like those are piracy.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'd totally buy Metroid Fusion again if they could get GBA games on VC.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DoctorWhat posted:

If you don't consider GBA games piracy, 3DS family systems make for great ways to play GBA roms, because when injected into the Ambassador compatability layer, they run more accurately and with less lag than any software solution because they're running on almost bare metal. Great way to play the Mother 3 translation!

They’re actually playing natively when you play them that way. No emulation. It owns.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

minusX posted:

There's even a review from 2017 saying that they got one that isn't the same. I know it looks the same as the old on you had in there OP, they just got better at faking the replacement battery covers.

It’s working fine so far so :shrug:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

SeANMcBAY posted:

They’re actually playing natively when you play them that way. No emulation. It owns.

There's a little software trickery, IIRC, to patch up compatibility issues and support save games and stuff. But yeah, not really emulation - I guess the best comparison would be some of the hybrid approaches to backcompat during the ps3 lifespan?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I only just learned that tapping the little four squares in the upper right of the bottom screen adds more rows for your game icons.

All that time lost to scrolling back and forth along a single row...

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Does anybody know of a HARD PLASTIC case for the N3ds XL? Everything I am finding for "hard plastic case" is some ridiculous "skin" that goes over the system itself, or it ends up being "hard" as in the stuff they make flip flop shoes out of. I want an actual HARD plastic case with a zipper. I want it to be a hard kind of plastic that would make a knocking sound if you knocked on it. Can someone link me to one that is like this because my eyes are bleeding from scrolling around Amazon and eBay all day.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Does anybody know of a HARD PLASTIC case for the N3ds XL? Everything I am finding for "hard plastic case" is some ridiculous "skin" that goes over the system itself, or it ends up being "hard" as in the stuff they make flip flop shoes out of. I want an actual HARD plastic case with a zipper. I want it to be a hard kind of plastic that would make a knocking sound if you knocked on it. Can someone link me to one that is like this because my eyes are bleeding from scrolling around Amazon and eBay all day.

You might want to look into hard EVA cases https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FDA42PU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jkylCbVDDZG8V

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Thanks but Google images for Eva material gives me this

https://www.google.com/search?q=eva+material

That's exactly what I don't want. I want it to be hard plastic. I know I've seen them before but I can't remember where or can't find one online all of a sudden

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Hard EVA is usually a plastic shell with EVA foam inside it, but hopefully you find exactly what you're looking for!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Case-Pelican-1040-Micro/dp/B001DQOL5U/
https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1040-400-000-1042-Foam-Set/dp/B00091SBW4/

Should be just the right size to fit a New 3DSXL, you'll need to get the foam insert and trim it to keep the console from bouncing around inside.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I got a 3DS XL for Christmas and Luigi’s Mansion 2 it’s very fun

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hello 3DS folks. I had a question and I hope I can get some feedback. Has anyone had any experience purchasing a refurbished 3DS from Gamestop's website? They have a color I want, and the price is right, but I'm worried about the condition. Is it more likely to be in pretty shape or beat to hell?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Target is fire selling 3ds titles.

Games like Zelda A Link in Time and Dragon Quest going for $5. Pokemon at $24.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Anybody have any experience with DS cards going bad?

I got a New 2DS for Christmas and my copy of Smash Bros doesn't work. It gives a "the game card could not be read" error. The icon appears on the home menu, but the image that usually appears on the top screen for other games doesn't work.

The contacts are clean, but I cleaned them up anyway. No dice. Not sure what to do.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LividLiquid posted:

Anybody have any experience with DS cards going bad?

I got a New 2DS for Christmas and my copy of Smash Bros doesn't work. It gives a "the game card could not be read" error. The icon appears on the home menu, but the image that usually appears on the top screen for other games doesn't work.

The contacts are clean, but I cleaned them up anyway. No dice. Not sure what to do.

How old is the cart? Did you get it second hand?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bought it brand new week of release. It's been living in its case since I stopped playing it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hello 3DS folks. I had a question and I hope I can get some feedback. Has anyone had any experience purchasing a refurbished 3DS from Gamestop's website? They have a color I want, and the price is right, but I'm worried about the condition. Is it more likely to be in pretty shape or beat to hell?

It wasn’t online, but I bought a refurb from GameStop and it was like-new.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

OhFunny posted:

Target is fire selling 3ds titles.

Games like Zelda A Link in Time and Dragon Quest going for $5. Pokemon at $24.

https://www.target.com/c/nintendo-3ds-games-video/-/N-5xfnoZ5tdv0?sortBy=PriceLow

$5
Ultimate NES Remix
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
SMT4 Apocalypse
Mario 3D Land
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Project X Zone 2
Zelda Link Between Worlds

$15
New Super Mario Bros 2
Minecraft for New 3DS
Mario Kart 7
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon

There's also fairly recent stuff like Warioware Gold and the Luigi's Mansion remake for $25, other cheap games, etc. Most is pickup-only right now.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/humble/status/1082353786583203842?s=19

Huh. That's a surprise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

For what it's worth, there has been a non-USA Nintendo Humble Bundle in the past so we'll probably get that store too eventually.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Oh.. I misunderstood at first. I used a VPN to access it and it's just a store - like not a sale or anything

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The difference is a portion goes to some charity or something

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Which games are on there?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Which games are on there?

NINTENDO SWITCH

SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE
$59.99

POKÉMON: LET'S GO, PIKACHU!
$59.99

POKÉMON: LET'S GO, EEVEE!
$59.99

SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY
$59.99

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD
$59.99

SUPER MARIO PARTY
$59.99

MARIO KART™ 8 DELUXE
$59.99

MARIO TENNIS ACES
$59.99

ARMS™
$59.99

CAPTAIN TOAD: TREASURE TRACKER
$39.99

SNIPPERCLIPS - CUT IT OUT, TOGETHER!
$19.99

SPLATOON™ 2
$59.99

SPLATOON™ 2: OCTO EXPANSION
$19.99

SPLATOON 2 AND SPLATOON 2: OCTO EXPANSION BUNDLE
$79.98

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD EXPANSION PASS
$19.99

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD EXPANSION PASS BUNDLE
$79.98

NINTENDO SWITCH ONLINE 3-MONTH INDIVIDUAL MEMBERSHIP
$7.99

NINTENDO SWITCH ONLINE 12-MONTH INDIVIDUAL MEMBERSHIP
$19.99

POKÉMON QUEST EXPEDITION 3-PACK BUNDLE
$29.99

POKÉMON QUEST EXPEDITION PACK
$4.99

POKÉMON QUEST GREAT EXPEDITION PACK
$9.99

POKÉMON QUEST ULTRA EXPEDITION PACK
$17.99

NINTENDO 3DS

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: OCARINA OF TIME 3D
$19.99

POKÉMON BLUE VERSION
$9.99

POKÉMON RED VERSION
$9.99

POKÉMON CRYSTAL VERSION
$9.99

POKÉMON GOLD VERSION
$9.99

POKÉMON SILVER VERSION
$9.99

POKÉMON SUN
$39.99

POKÉMON MOON
$39.99

POKÉMON ULTRA MOON
$39.99

POKÉMON ULTRA SUN
$39.99

POKÉMON YELLOW VERSION
$9.99

SUPER MARIO BROS.
$4.99

SUPER MARIO BROS. 3
$4.99

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA
$4.99

FIRE EMBLEM ECHOES: SHADOWS OF VALENTIA - SEASON PASS
$44.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

https://www.target.com/c/nintendo-3ds-games-video/-/N-5xfnoZ5tdv0?sortBy=PriceLow

$5
Ultimate NES Remix
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
SMT4 Apocalypse
Mario 3D Land
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Project X Zone 2
Zelda Link Between Worlds

$15
New Super Mario Bros 2
Minecraft for New 3DS
Mario Kart 7
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon

There's also fairly recent stuff like Warioware Gold and the Luigi's Mansion remake for $25, other cheap games, etc. Most is pickup-only right now.

Target's pulled Nintendo Select titles from their website as of today.