Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ford backs Taverner as OPP head, takes aim at deputy posted:

Premier Doug Ford declared Tuesday that his family friend Ron Taverner will be the “best commissioner the OPP has ever seen” even as a review of the appointment gets under way.

At the same time, Mr. Ford took aim at the senior OPP officer who has publicly challenged Mr. Taverner’s appointment, alleging without providing evidence that Deputy Commissioner Brad Blair violated the Police Services Act.

Amid allegations of political interference in the appointment, Mr. Ford told reporters he last spoke with Toronto Police Superintendent Taverner “probably last week,” and defended his government’s decision to name the 72-year-old mid-level commander to the post last month.

Supt. Taverner, who was to start the job on Monday, put his swearing-in on hold and asked for his resignation from the Toronto force to be rescinded until the Integrity Commissioner’s review of whether Mr. Ford had a conflict in the matter is complete.

“We look forward to having Ron Taverner as the commissioner of the OPP,” Mr. Ford said on Tuesday. “This guy’s given his life to policing. Let the review take place and I can tell you one thing, once it gets done, he will be the best commissioner the OPP has ever seen.”

Toronto Police spokeswoman Meaghan Gray told The Globe and Mail on Tuesday that any member who has left the service and wants to be hired can apply in writing to the police chief. When asked why Toronto police chief Mark Saunders approved the request, Ms. Gray said she would not have another chance to speak with him on Tuesday. “I’m not certain there’s a more elaborate answer other than it’s his prerogative to do so,” she said.

Mr. Ford said he gives Supt. Taverner credit for delaying his appointment. Supt. Taverner, a 51-year veteran of Toronto police, returned on Monday to his job as a unit commander of three divisions in the city’s northwest. “He’s not going to sit around for four to six weeks or how ever long a review is going to take, doing nothing,” Mr. Ford said.

Mr. Ford also made his first public comments on Tuesday about a bid by OPP Deputy Commissioner Blair, who had also sought the commissioner’s job, to get the provincial Ombudsman to investigate the appointment process. The Premier accused the high-ranking officer of breaking the Police Services Act when he publicly complained about Supt. Taverner’s appointment in a letter to the Ombudsman.

“I could give you a list of all the police act [provisions] that [were] broken throughout that whole letter, but none of you want to report on that,” Mr. Ford said. “I’m going to take the high road and I’m going to let the review go through.”

Mr. Ford’s office did not immediately elaborate on which sections of the act he meant.

Last week, Deputy Commissioner Blair released the letter, which asked Ontario Ombudsman Paul Dubé to delay and review Supt. Taverner’s appointment. Two days later, Deputy Commissioner Blair filed a legal application in Superior Court after he said the Ombudsman’s office refused his request, saying it was not within its mandate.

Deputy Commissioner Blair, who was until Monday the interim leader of the OPP, argues in his legal application that the Ombudsman has a duty to review any potential “inappropriate political interference or cronyism” that could have factored into the government’s decision to hire Supt. Taverner. Deputy Commissioner Blair’s lawyer said the Ombudsman has a much broader purview and powers to probe the matter than the Integrity Commissioner, who is looking into whether Mr. Ford was in a conflict of interest in the OPP matter.

In the letter released last week, Deputy Commissioner Blair alleges Mr. Ford’s chief of staff, Dean French, asked the OPP to buy a “large camper type vehicle” and have it modified to specifications from the Premier’s office, and that it be kept “off the books.”

Mr. Ford said on Tuesday the allegations are false. “That’s just a baseless claim without merit. It’s just not accurate whatsoever,” he said.

“I asked … if they had a used one,” he said, without explaining why he would need a used van.

Mr. Ford also suggested Deputy Commissioner Blair was unhappy about being passed over for the top job, and accused him of submitting his retirement papers and then pulling them back. However, after the officer’s lawyer called it a falsehood, the Premier’s office later said Mr. Ford misspoke.

“I get it that he’s upset that he didn’t win a fair process. I understand. Did he step over the line on a lot of things? I’m going to let the media decide that and I wish you would look into that,” Mr. Ford said.

Deputy Commissioner Blair’s lawyer said his client never tried to retire and accused the Premier of trying to intimidate him.

“A simple inquiry of the OPP would bear out that Deputy Commissioner Blair has never, and I repeat never, submitted retirement papers. This is simply a falsehood," Julian Falconer said in a statement.

"As for the personal shots by the Premier, no amount of intimidation or insult will deter the Deputy Commissioner from seeking a full airing of these issues.”

Mr. Ford’s defence of the appointment came as NDP Leader Andrea Horwath asked the Integrity Commissioner to trigger a rarely used power to launch a public inquiry.

“The investigation into Doug Ford’s interference in Ontario’s police force, and the attempt to install an insider as commissioner, can’t only happen behind closed doors,” she said in a statement. A spokeswoman for Integrity Commissioner David Wake said the office would not make any public comments, but a report will be filed with the Speaker of the Legislature and online.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Can't stop laughing that Nuttal who grew up in Victoria forgot where the Parliament buildings were.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

large hands posted:

Can't stop laughing that Nuttal who grew up in Victoria forgot where the Parliament buildings were.

My rather special coworker who also grew up here had no idea what that building was for and said its "that lit up tourist castle " thought it was craigdarroch or something and didn't know we had a museum at all. And he can hold down a job and everything some how.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Also, :rip: 2-way all day GO service and Metrolinx rail electrification. Of course it's the suburbs and exurbs getting hosed here, but whatever, they can just sit in traffic for four hours a day to commute to their new greenbelt homes.

God damnit, that's like the one thing I've been consistently looking forward to for the last decade of Liberal rule.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1075446922901626881

:owned:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
good

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Imagine if they did that with our business class. Have the CRA spend millions tricking an idiot small business owner into committing tax fraud or violating labour laws.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
So UberX?

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

What are the chances it gets appealed to the SCC? Like 100%?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Even my ultra white, conservative, "thin blue line" coworkers know this is bad poo poo.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Heyooooo

Chicken posted:

What are the chances it gets appealed to the SCC? Like 100%?

Put me down for 0. The government probably wants us to stop talking about the time we wasted $25M to entrap two idiots.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

large hands posted:

And yet, of the two parties involved, the RCMP still managed to be the bigger idiots.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

Heyooooo

Put me down for 0. The government probably wants us to stop talking about the time we wasted $25M to entrap two idiots.

Yeah the higher it goes the more embarrassing it is. I’d wager they’d much rather just bury it at this point.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I feel like even an Albertan could get behind thinking the RCMP are idiots for spending 25 million taxpayer dollars on trying to convince a couple drug addicts who clearly can't even think straight to blow up parliament.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ChairMaster posted:

I feel like even an Albertan could get behind thinking the RCMP are idiots for spending 25 million taxpayer dollars on trying to convince a couple drug addicts who clearly can't even think straight to blow up parliament.

More like our society is so soft on crime and it costs 25 million to arrest totally guilty terrorists and our liberal judges then throw it all out.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Good news the Christian Heritage Party is redeemed in putting hate speech ads up in public: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/christian-heritage-party-1.4952592

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

If a process exists to do something legally, you don't get to skip it just because you're right.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

If a process exists to do something legally, you don't get to skip it just because you're right.

Too bad a process doesn't exist to fling every single CHP member and voter out of a catapult into a stoutly-built concrete wall, IMHO.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

off the top of their head, can anyone name a high profile case... like real famous, that the mounties haven't hosed up?

was gonna say bernardo, but that'd be opp, yea? raffay?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jfood posted:

off the top of their head, can anyone name a high profile case... like real famous, that the mounties haven't hosed up?

was gonna say bernardo, but that'd be opp, yea? raffay?

didn't the rcmp do at least part of pickford?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PT6A posted:

Too bad a process doesn't exist to fling every single CHP member and voter out of a catapult into a stoutly-built concrete wall, IMHO.

My wife's doctor is some high profile BC CHP dude and when I found out I didn't want to use him because I do NOT trust a CHP person not to let their extreme ideology cloud issues of women's reproductive health. A couple years in I'm now wishing I should have pushed harder to use someone else. He comes with glowing recommendations from people who want lots of kids but we're doing the opposite and I don't think he approves of that so all his advice was strongly towards "just have some kids and that will almost certainly fix your health woes" and "well let's not do anything that might harm your ability to have kids..."

When he thought we were going to do the former he was super attentive with like next-day call backs and seemed to extremely care about her health, now that it's clear we aren't it's like she's been totally written off as a patient. It makes me think it was never about her health, it was only about her ability to produce more white babies for canada and that's the only outcome he cared about.

Maybe I'm being unfair to think he would let his insane politics so influence his professional judgement and quality of care but it sure feels like that in hindsight and I feel like an idiot for not going with my gut and assuming anyone associated with the christian herritage party isn't to be trusted.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Nah, lots of doctors pay more attention when you're TTC.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Arivia posted:

didn't the rcmp do at least part of pickford?

Pickton, and they accepted that he acted alone so...

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yeah uh its not clear to me from the post but i hope op isn't suggesting the Pickton case was a success story for the cops lol

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There was that high profile polish terrorist at the airport a while ago? Or was that local police?

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Ladies ITT. What are your opinions on making all washrooms unisex?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

There was that high profile polish terrorist at the airport a while ago? Or was that local police?

the horsemen get all the blame for that one lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

THC posted:

yeah uh its not clear to me from the post but i hope op isn't suggesting the Pickton case was a success story for the cops lol

Oh yeah I'd forgotten about all that NEVERMIND

@EvidenceBasedQuack: Women still need some place to freshen up where they can get a breather from toxic masculinity, but the actual washroom part is whatever

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Ladies ITT. What are your opinions on making all washrooms unisex?

TFW you leave the seat down and piss all over it.

:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Baronjutter posted:

... Robert Dziekanski?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

apatheticman posted:

If there was any just god this would be a Cohen brothers movie

Or their friend Michael Bay. Pain and Gain baby

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

McGavin posted:

TFW you leave the seat down and piss all over it.

:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

Obviously that idea would come with a comprehensive public campaign on proper toilet manners, including shaming those who don't wash their hands.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Obviously that idea would come with a comprehensive public campaign on proper toilet manners, including shaming those who don't wash their hands.

that's classist and discriminatory against the fine workers and men of the oilpatch that contribute so much to canada

(ps: kill the rurals)

what happened
Dec 2, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
I once had a job cleaning public toilets and by far, women's toilets were always much filthier than men's. My theory for this gender disparity is that women are way more squeamish about the filth of public toilets and thus resort to theatrics like standing on the toilet seat resulting in piss all over the seat and floor. Also, sometimes the toilet paper roll wouldn't rotate seamlessly and you'd end up with these ocd neat freaks pinching small pieces of paper and leaving them on the floor like some gerbil cage.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Arivia posted:

that's classist and discriminatory against the fine workers and men of the oilpatch that contribute so much to canada

(ps: kill the rurals)

Rural bathrooms are already mostly unisex, we are ahead of the times on this one.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Hand Knit posted:

... Robert Dziekanski?

You have no idea how much mileage I got out of dropping his name with my otherwise law-and-order Polish relatives. The moment it's one of ours, they jump up like you wouldn't believe.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

what happened posted:

I once had a job cleaning public toilets and by far, women's toilets were always much filthier than men's. My theory for this gender disparity is that women are way more squeamish about the filth of public toilets and thus resort to theatrics like standing on the toilet seat resulting in piss all over the seat and floor. Also, sometimes the toilet paper roll wouldn't rotate seamlessly and you'd end up with these ocd neat freaks pinching small pieces of paper and leaving them on the floor like some gerbil cage.

also the poo poo women deal with in bathrooms is way more complicated. pads and tampons and digging poo poo out of handbags and by the way don't gently caress up because you are like 10 times more likely to get a uti if the last person in here pissed all over the seat or whatever.

Like women definitely make more messes out of bathrooms, but the poo poo we do in there is way more involved than what guys with dicks do. It takes twice as long and a lot more maneuvering now that I have to wipe twice when I go instead of just once for a poo poo.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

what happened posted:

I once had a job cleaning public toilets and by far, women's toilets were always much filthier than men's.

Men's are always a base state of bad. If a women's is bad though, it's a loving holocaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

gay dudes have been having orgies in stalls for... as long as there's been stalls. the physics and contortionism involved must be loving staggering.

everyone suffers in their own way.