Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I wouldn't play Viticulture without the extended board. It opens up even more opportunities to avoid the bottleneck actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

CaptainRightful posted:

I wouldn't play Viticulture without the extended board. It opens up even more opportunities to avoid the bottleneck actions.

Concur.

Viticculture is good with just the original bit but it comes alive when you add the first few bits of Tuscany. Extended Edition pegs it at about the right point.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm just playing solitaire to learn the rules but Meltwater seems really cool so far. Simple and vicious.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Village with the Inn/Port expansions is a pretty rich medium weight WP too, and I really like the mechanic of killing your workers.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Europa Universalis board game (on Kickstarter sometime TBA)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hopefully you can stand it past the first turn.

(Also hope they keep the country switching mechanic)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Hopefully you can stand it past the first turn.

(Also hope they keep the country switching mechanic)

I think only 8 major powers are meant to be playable.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

What is the best way to shuffle a standard deck of playing cards?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxJubaijQbI

If you can do a riffle shuffle in less than eight seconds, then seven riffle shuffles. Otherwise, spend a minute smoshing cards on the table before playing 52-pick-up.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I picked up the deluxe Arboretum today and it is so pretty. I'm completely in love. I never sleeve cards for board games but I absolutely have to here. I only wish Renegade didn't stamp their logo all over it but I suppose I would be proud too.

Any common play mistakes? It seems like the rules are simple enough.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Somberbrero posted:

I picked up the deluxe Arboretum today and it is so pretty. I'm completely in love. I never sleeve cards for board games but I absolutely have to here. I only wish Renegade didn't stamp their logo all over it but I suppose I would be proud too.

Does it still have the misspelled ABORETUM on the back? I preordered it and it would be pretty funny if it wasn’t caught for deluxe. Definitely going to sleeve mine too.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

golden bubble posted:

What is the best way to shuffle a standard deck of playing cards?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxJubaijQbI

If you can do a riffle shuffle in less than eight seconds, then seven riffle shuffles. Otherwise, spend a minute smoshing cards on the table before playing 52-pick-up.

The trouble with smooshing is it wrecks your cards / sleeves.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Does anyone have anything to say about Black Orchestra?
Marcos review has given me the itch. Looks kewl.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Sleekly posted:

Does anyone have anything to say about Black Orchestra?

I KS'd it and I have played it once. It was an enjoyable coop experience. I guess it's as prone to group think and quarterbacking as any coop. It's random enough with item locations and conspirator abilities that I think you would get a quite few plays out of it before you get bored. Plus, who doesn't love killing Hitler.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Anygoon in the UK interested in a copy of Dungeon Lords Anniversary Edition and/or Dungeon Petz +/- Dark Alleys? My game group is pestering me to take them home because we never play them but I can't store them and won't play them here either.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Anygoon in the UK interested in a copy of Dungeon Lords Anniversary Edition and/or Dungeon Petz +/- Dark Alleys? My game group is pestering me to take them home because we never play them but I can't store them and won't play them here either.
You wouldn't happen to have spare bonus petz you could part with?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pierzak posted:

You wouldn't happen to have spare bonus petz you could part with?

I'd prefer to sell each game as one lot rather than part it out if I can avoid it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

Miniature Market still has a handful of the deluxe left in stock, snapped one up.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

thespaceinvader posted:

If you don't find someone wanting both Petz and dark alleys I may be interested in the expansion.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Chill la Chill posted:

Does it still have the misspelled ABORETUM on the back? I preordered it and it would be pretty funny if it wasn’t caught for deluxe. Definitely going to sleeve mine too.

They fixed that before the retail release.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I purchased my ABORETUM copy at GenCon :smaug:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Rumda posted:

If you don't find someone wanting both Petz and dark alleys I may be interested in the expansion.

I'll see if I get any interest but if I've not heard anything after xmas I'll drop you a message.

I'm happy to let the Petz and Dark Alleys go separately, they're easy enough to disengage from one another IIRC.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

pakman posted:

I purchased my ABORETUM copy at GenCon :smaug:

:negative: that will be worth more than the deluxe, my cardboard investments

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Chill la Chill posted:

:negative: that will be worth more than the deluxe, my cardboard investments

I might be misreading this entirely, but if you're saying it'll be worth more because of the missprint...

I may... Look, I may or may not have watched an antique appraiser discussing people's Beanie Baby collections on YouTube earlier today. I'm not proud of it but she seemed legit. She claimed some are worth at most like $150 but most are worth a dollar or less, so that seems realistic. She also claimed that the idea that missprinted collectibles (or beanie babies at least) being worth a lot is a myth. She seemed pretty adamant about this. Im sure for some specific collectors its definitely a thing, but i cant possibly believe people are going to be chomping at the bit for a missprinted board game. Especially considering what a poo poo show so many manuals can be.

Or... That wasnt what you're saying at all and I'm airing my dirty laundry for everyone for no reason.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Gejimayu posted:

She also claimed that the idea that missprinted collectibles (or beanie babies at least) being worth a lot is a myth.

At the height of the BB craze misprints were definitely worth more. Whether or not it was "smart" is for the market to decide. Nowadays BBs are for sick kids in hospitals because the market tanked QQ

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gejimayu posted:

Or... That wasnt what you're saying at all and I'm airing my dirty laundry for everyone for no reason.

I like having optional deluxe versions of games (Orleans, Gentes, really anything that TMG makes, mega Civ), but I am all for reprinting all the games because they’re supposed to be used, not sit pretty on a shelf. I just it funny when people treat them as cardboard collectibles investments since I come from having spent some years playing MTG seriously.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
How's Dominant Species on the iPad? According to the AppStore the last update was 3 years ago, so I'm a bit worried it might not be supported anymore.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It works great from what I remember, I haven't fired it up in a while though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
There are a few bugs that can cause your game to crash/freeze but they're rare and my OG ipad mini still runs it fine.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
City of Kings reprint kickstarter says shipping containers arrived for Europe all messed up, with a bunch of games hosed up from shipping.

quote:

Last year the shipping damages cost us nearly £30,000 and I had hoped this project would help us recuperate some of those costs.
Followed by

quote:

I've got £25,000 worth of damaged stock.

Ouch.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Help me out here board goons, what would you recommend buying as a gift:

(other than some matches and an accelerant, ofc)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jabor posted:

Help me out here board goons, what would you recommend buying as a gift:

(other than some matches and an accelerant, ofc)

The bookcase.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
There's an Azul on the bottom!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The bottom shelf was actually pretty reasonable for a videogames shop with a tiny board game section:

But that's not as funny as the two three entire shelves of Monopoly and the Pickle Rick Game.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Terraforming Mars is considered pretty weak, right? I'm surprised to see it's on the 3rd expansion.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Terraforming Mars is considered pretty weak, right?

By the Goon Hivemind, not the broader community.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Terraforming Mars is considered pretty weak, right? I'm surprised to see it's on the 3rd expansion.

It’s not rank #4 on BGG for no reason, despite what you’ll hear in the thread.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Zing's boardgame range started off pretty decent, and has declined over time. Clearly the hobbyists are shopping elsewhere, and the mainstream isn't taking it up quickly enough.

Terraforming Mars is a lot like Root - great first impression, has enough complexity to entice gamers who are transitioning from casual to deeper into the hobby, but has some real gaps in the design/balance that more experienced gamers will discover and tire of quickly. TM has a huge amount of randomness, and drafting is only a bandaid over a gunshot. Root becomes a whiny whack the leader game because it's difficult to build up momentum through long term strategy.

BGG rankings are popularity, not qualitative. There's no reason Dead of Winter should be in any Top 100 of anything ever.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Doctor Spaceman posted:

By the Goon Hivemind, not the broader community.

It got a lot of heat from a lot of critics too but general audiences seem to love pushing cubes with pasted on sci if theme.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think the colonies expansion takes Terraforming Mars from like a 5/10 to a 7, maybe greater. TM is a really confused game because all the action happens on the board itself but it's super easy to get caught up in the tableau engine building aspect which is flat out too simplistic and terrible to be the focus of the game. The colonies expansion adds a lot of play that happens on the board which is TM's biggest strength, and also gives you more flexibility so the game doesn't come down to the person who places the most greenery. You can actually do something with electricity besides waiting for it to convert to heat!

Prelude is also good because it lets you customize your corporation. Skip Venus, it just adds more cards that are split interacting with a separate board and again the engine building stuff is nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

al-azad posted:

I think the colonies expansion takes Terraforming Mars from like a 5/10 to a 7, maybe greater. TM is a really confused game because all the action happens on the board itself but it's super easy to get caught up in the tableau engine building aspect which is flat out too simplistic and terrible to be the focus of the game. The colonies expansion adds a lot of play that happens on the board which is TM's biggest strength, and also gives you more flexibility so the game doesn't come down to the person who places the most greenery. You can actually do something with electricity besides waiting for it to convert to heat!

Prelude is also good because it lets you customize your corporation. Skip Venus, it just adds more cards that are split interacting with a separate board and again the engine building stuff is nothing.

It's hard to recommend any game that requires multiple expansions to be worth playing.