Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Holy poo poo South Carolina is allegedly going to fix I-126 including rebuilding the I26-I20 interchange as a turbine.

I say allegedly because after 20 years we still haven't built a single mile of I-73.

http://www.scdotcarolinacrossroads.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

shame on an IGA posted:

Holy poo poo South Carolina is allegedly going to fix I-126 including rebuilding the I26-I20 interchange as a turbine.

I say allegedly because after 20 years we still haven't built a single mile of I-73.

http://www.scdotcarolinacrossroads.com

That project is going to be insane. And hopefully I’ll be working on it. The 526/26 interchange redesign in Charleston is currently being designed, and it’s cool to see that process from the inside, even though I’m not really doing much on that.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015
I hate interchanges on main highways. I prefer the simple things.....like signing and striping on a 17 mile long two-lane road out of the middle of nowhere.

I will trade 10 sheets of any interchange for 73 sheets of 50sc of signage anytime.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

RazNation posted:

I hate interchanges on main highways. I prefer the simple things.....like signing and striping on a 17 mile long two-lane road out of the middle of nowhere.

I will trade 10 sheets of any interchange for 73 sheets of 50sc of signage anytime.

your sign is on I-70 in Utah: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9915394,-110.1777751,3a,75y,292.8h,67.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sp6BjJ6wwu_va6XMdBnstKg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This week, some Dutch town officially opened their first crosswalk for Silly Walks.

Apparently you got a couple of those scattered around the world.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

This week, some Dutch town officially opened their first crosswalk for Silly Walks.

Apparently you got a couple of those scattered around the world.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

This is in Utah, and it's probably 17 miles worth of paint.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.4938446,-110.8423494,221m/data=!3m1!1e3

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
https://lat.ms/2TxkBNi

Tl;Dr article implies doing the road diet thing to a main evacuation route may have contributed to the bodycount from the latest flurry of California fires. I don't really have an opinion but this seems like the thread for it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Javid posted:

https://lat.ms/2TxkBNi

Tl;Dr article implies doing the road diet thing to a main evacuation route may have contributed to the bodycount from the latest flurry of California fires. I don't really have an opinion but this seems like the thread for it.

Yeah I'm sure it was that and not the fact that
a) there was no EAS warning
b) the calls to people to evacuate came after the fire was right on top of them
c) PG&E doesn't take care of their poo poo and keeps starting fires

no it was those goddamn san fracisco liberals and their road diets

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
No, screwing up your evacuation is what gets people killed. If traffic is an issue, you post police at the chokepoints to direct traffic. We stopped doing roadway contraflow in Florida because we figured out that traffic flows better if you just have police at critical locations directing traffic. Same evacuation with half the road. Hmm.

Also, delaying voluntary evacuations is always a bad idea. When a Hurricane is coming your way and you live below sea level, you don't wait for the water to come through your front door, you get out before it makes landfalls. In all cases, voluntary evacs 72 hours in advance, just in case the disaster speeds up.

Varance fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 25, 2018

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
as someone who lives in a town similarly populated to Paradise that was also forced to evacuate recently, our main highway was narrowed years ago and yet we still had orderly traffic flow thanks to proper planning and emergency procedures.

in fact, some of the traffic lights on that highway weren't turned back around after they re-opened it to two-way traffic, making getting through intersections AFTER the evacuation more difficult than it was DURING the evacuation

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
doubleposting three weeks later but I had a question about this weird bizness going on along I-95 just south of Augusta, ME. it looks like this was a recently removed interchange but I looked on Google Earth and it looks like the right of way has pretty much always been cleared but never actually paved with ramps.

And as a bonus for doubleposting here's my best attempt at recreating the Maine Turnpike Approach (I-95/I-295 near Portland) in Cities: Skylines

I had to skip the entire 701 interchange because I misjudged how much land I would need, so it just terminates directly to Route 1 after the 295 ramps lol

barnold fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 18, 2018

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'd wager a guess that, since that looks like bumfuck nowhere, the land was cheap at some point and got grabbed up, but there's not enough traffic yet to make it worth dropping the bigger bucks on actually building the thing. The lack of so much as traffic lights at either of the exit ramps with that surface road seems to also suggest it doesn't see significant volume.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
That sounds fair enough but doesn't explain why they would spend thousands on clearing the forest and levelling the ground.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Where it crosses 295, that’s a toll plaza, so maybe they got rid of some connections to make the tolling simpler.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That sounds fair enough but doesn't explain why they would spend thousands on clearing the forest and levelling the ground.

Those ramps used to be for movements between the Maine Turnpike and Free I-95 when the ticket system was still in place.

The Maine Turnpike's ticketed tolls used to end just north of Gardiner at MP 109, before Free I-95 (now labeled I-295) was built and the non-turnpike authority I-95 was built north of Augusta. Originally some of those ramps were old Exit 14 on the Turnpike. Then, they built what was previously labeled "Free I-95" (or what we now know as I-295). When Free I-95 was built, they had to have movements that would route Free I-95NB to Turnpike SB and Turnpike NB to Free I-95 SB through an existing ticket plaza at exit 14 so that people would pick up toll tickets for the turnpike. In the 80s, they built the New Gloucester toll barrier to the south, which became the new end of the ticketed system, and they built the current Gardiner plaza as a cash toll entrance/exit to the Turnpike.

With the ticket system truncated (and now eliminated entirely) those ramps didn't make much sense because you can make those movements via ME 9's diamond interchange on now I-295 and the old Exit 14 ramps. So they closed them to regular traffic and ripped up the pavement.

Incidentally, if you use the West Gardiner Service Plaza, you can get a voucher to avoid getting tolled twice when re-entering the turnpike. The service plaza is fairly new (built in the mid-aughts) and was built after those ramps were long decommissioned.

http://www.maineturnpike.com/Traveler-Services/Tolls/West-Gardiner-Toll-Vouchers.aspx

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 18, 2018

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

quote:

E-ZPass customers automatically receive this benefit!

Good.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Javid posted:

I'd wager a guess that, since that looks like bumfuck nowhere, the land was cheap at some point and got grabbed up, but there's not enough traffic yet to make it worth dropping the bigger bucks on actually building the thing. The lack of so much as traffic lights at either of the exit ramps with that surface road seems to also suggest it doesn't see significant volume.

I would consider most of Maine to be bumfuck nowhere. You've got Portland and.....that's pretty much it. My first thought was that 295 ended at that plaza, and the tollbooth was there to get cars entering/exiting I-95 at that point.

I still wonder what has made them maintain a groomed right of way for those ramps for over 20 years now. The earliest satellite image Google Earth has is from 1992 and they're still cleared, still groomed, but unpaved.

barnold fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 18, 2018

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

I would consider most of Maine to be bumfuck nowhere. You've got Portland and.....that's pretty much it. My first thought was that 295 ended at that plaza, and the tollbooth was there to get cars entering/exiting I-95 at that point.

I still wonder what has made them maintain a groomed right of way for those ramps for over 20 years now. The earliest satellite image Google Earth has is from 1992 and they're still cleared, still groomed, but unpaved.

Access to the bridge over the tollbooths that construction traffic and cops use as shortcut

Maybe toll workers too

Explains the well-defined tire tracks

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

See above, but many old ROWs are closed off to regular traffic but might still see use from construction vehicles. Most times they don't replant trees or other things, they're just there as paths. It doesn't take much to keep them clear.

There's plenty of abandoned ROWs/unfinished things in New England if you know where to look. My personal favorite is the stub of I-95 in Revere, where there's still unused bridges that go over the rotary, and the mile or so of graded reservation in the marsh. Still ghost ramps at US 3/128 in Burlington. The old double-switchback on the Mohawk trail. The end of the Turnpike in West Stockbridge. Unbuilt I-92 in parts of Vermont and New Hampshire.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

There's plenty of abandoned ROWs/unfinished things in New England if you know where to look. My personal favorite is the stub of I-95 in Revere, where there's still unused bridges that go over the rotary, and the mile or so of graded reservation in the marsh. Still ghost ramps at US 3/128 in Burlington. The old double-switchback on the Mohawk trail. The end of the Turnpike in West Stockbridge. Unbuilt I-92 in parts of Vermont and New Hampshire.

My favorite is probably the 93 ramp stub that was supposed to begin the Inner Belt, or the stretch of old Route 16 near Rochester, NH (that has now, for the most part, been redesignated as 125)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

This has been pissing me off during my daily pedestrian commute for a while now. Idiots think that this left arrow means that they can turn into that side-street/car-park but it's actually for the intersection (Map):

Is there a general rule that traffic designers are meant to follow so as to ensure that markings like this are appropriately offset to avoid confusion?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

This has been pissing me off during my daily pedestrian commute for a while now. Idiots think that this left arrow means that they can turn into that side-street/car-park but it's actually for the intersection (Map):

Is there a general rule that traffic designers are meant to follow so as to ensure that markings like this are appropriately offset to avoid confusion?

Engineering judgment

I would have moved it 20 feet past that driveway, or about 50 feet ahead of it

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Devor posted:

Engineering judgment

I would have moved it 20 feet past that driveway, or about 50 feet ahead of it

In the latter case you'd probably use this, right?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Same, droopy-dick-block-balls, same. :saddowns::hf::saddowns:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jeoh posted:

In the latter case you'd probably use this, right?

Somewhere the guy who wrote that section of the MUTCD just felt his eye twitch, and he's not sure why

I believe that marking is super non-standard if you were in the US, but since we were driving on the left earlier, I assume we're not in the US

If it's widely used and people understand what it means, then yeah this is probably where you'd use it

But if it's not common, I would instead just move the marking so it's not confusing

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah I'm not in the US.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

have any of you looked into all the insanity going on at laguardia? it’s an infrastructure and traffic wonderland these days. seems like complete chaos to me, someone who has zero experience in such fields, but i’m sure it’ll come together. any of you working on it or know more about how it’s all coming along?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thought this was an fun video. Guy worked on a highway project in Connecticut for the last few years and his wedding videographer wife cut his footage together into a 20 minute video. Shows how much works goes into a highway project nowadays, especially if their are bridges and waterways involved. The rebar alone is ridiculous.

https://youtu.be/c7k5o6NoXZ0

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Crossquoting from OSHA thread

drunkill posted:

Driver survived with some injuries, out of hospital today.

This is essentially a brand new sign, it was put up mid last year when that freeway was widened, this is the main route between the city and the airport (although the sign is located on an offramp) so somebody hosed up bigtime.
https://twitter.com/9NewsMelb/status/1082797537893871616

(reminder, driver sits on the right in australia)

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Was about to post that myself. Jesus.

I guess everyone has dashcams now because Australian drivers are almost as crazy as Russian ones.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
We've talked a lot about the Allston interchange replacement in the wake of AET going live on the turnpike, and it looks like the design's been solidified.

https://www.mass.gov/allston-multimodal-project

Turnpike going to grade, and Soldier's Field road crossing over via an elevated viaduct.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 10, 2019

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The Tacony-Palmyra bridge near Philadelphia has an interesting remnant of an earlier experiment: directional lights for each lane. It seems that there was an attempt to change the number of each lanes for each direction based on traffic flow, but as early as I can remember they were pretty solidly locked in one configuration, and eventually an actual median was added. Can anyone expand on this? I'm sure that "drivers are idiots and kept crashing" is the reason it stopped, but I'd love to know the history of this.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 11, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Volmarias posted:

The Tacony-Palmyra bridge near Philadelphia has an interesting remnant of an earlier experiment: directional lights for each lane. It seems that there was an attempt to change the number of each lanes for each direction based on traffic flow, but as early as I can remember they were pretty solidly locked in one configuration, and eventually an actual median was added. Can anyone expand on this? I'm sure that "drivers are idiots and kept crashing" is the reason it stopped, but I'd love to know the history of this.

The current median was installed in the late 90s as part of a comprehensive structure rehabilitation, my dad worked in the contractor office on site for the project. But the lights do get used on occasion even though there's a median now, usually doing maintenance work.

You're probably aware that most of the bridges further down the river still use the lights, usually in conjunction with a flexible/movable median barrier, to change which direction gets the middle lanes depending on time of day.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

fishmech posted:

You're probably aware that most of the bridges further down the river still use the lights, usually in conjunction with a flexible/movable median barrier, to change which direction gets the middle lanes depending on time of day.

Puerto Rico uses these (moveable median barrier) on their main highways entering/leaving the main urban areas.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

fishmech posted:

The current median was installed in the late 90s as part of a comprehensive structure rehabilitation, my dad worked in the contractor office on site for the project. But the lights do get used on occasion even though there's a median now, usually doing maintenance work.

That's not terribly uncommon, most of the bridges across the Delaware have them and so did the old Pearman bridge in Charleston SC

E: quoted wrong post, wontfix.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

fishmech posted:

Huh, I didn't realize that any other bridges actually had these lights in service, since I usually never took them. TIL!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Volmarias posted:

Reversible lanes are common on major bridges and tunnels where it serves as a vital link without good alternatives - see for example the Chesapeake Bay Bridge near Annapolis.

If you're doing major roadwork, or there's an accident, it's not really feasible to have people drive an extra hour or more to go around the Bay, on roads that can't handle the additional traffic - so that's when it really starts making sense from an operations standpoint.

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge routinely flips lanes for rush hour - you'll get a contra-flow lane going East, on the Westbound bridge in the afternoon, along with the two other lanes on the Eastbound bridge. As a bonus, if there's an accident you can "close" the lane with the lane arrows to maintain smooth traffic and not have a million people merging on the bridge.

In preparation for reversing a lane, they set it all to X's for the way that's closed, wait for traffic to clear - then send a Toll Authority vehicle through before sending in regular drivers, so just in case there's a straggler who is going the wrong direction from the switch, a regular driver doesn't get clocked.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I was in a critical mass once where wr (briefly) took over a three-lane bridge with direction lights. Apparently they just set both lanes to closed in both directions in response until at left.

(At least, so I read in the angry_old_guy_editorial.txt that appeared in the local paper afterwards.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Down here in Florida, we've started installing blackout signals to our major intersections, which automatically flash red in all directions when power is lost for whatever reason (Hurricane, etc). One single flashing red light for each direction, rated for about a week of constant flashing with no power, longer if the solar panels recharging them survive. Span wire installs are first to get them, mounted on the support poles instead of the wires, in case it comes down.

https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/en/newsroom/2019/01/11/solar-beacons-to-improve-safety-when-traffic-signals-go-dark

Varance fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 24, 2019