Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
There's a thread on the forums where someone confirmed you can destroy them.

Speaking of destruction, I wanted to go try and generate more profit opportunities by blowing up storage tanks so they'd need to be refilled. I took out two tanks of a production station near the Teladi trade port, then ran the hell out of system to evade police. I only went down to 13 from 15 with Teladi org, but when I checked back on the map (had a satelite nearby), rather than the station being repaired with the two modules, it was just plain gone entirely. Hoping that's either a bug, or I had a total brainfart on where the station was, because that would mean you could wipe out a whole system with just a fast M ship and a bay full of missiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I find it really hard to get back into X3 after X4 and X:R even though X4 needs more work and X:R isn't as good and it kinda sucks.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Slickdrac posted:

There's a thread on the forums where someone confirmed you can destroy them.

Speaking of destruction, I wanted to go try and generate more profit opportunities by blowing up storage tanks so they'd need to be refilled. I took out two tanks of a production station near the Teladi trade port, then ran the hell out of system to evade police. I only went down to 13 from 15 with Teladi org, but when I checked back on the map (had a satelite nearby), rather than the station being repaired with the two modules, it was just plain gone entirely. Hoping that's either a bug, or I had a total brainfart on where the station was, because that would mean you could wipe out a whole system with just a fast M ship and a bay full of missiles.

I know the AI is intended to delete and add structures to keep the economy moving. Maybe it also can prune damaged stations in favor of creating the resource demand to build a new one?

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Question: as someone who enjoyed X3 (TC and AP) but skipped Rebirth, would you recommend this new X game to me now, over the Christmas break, or should I wait for patches/sales to continue polishing it up?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Public Service Announcement: OSHA does not exist in the X universe and your miners will happily fly into radioactive death asteroid fields in search of sweet methane. RIP M Fart Huffer 6, all 11 souls aboard and the ~550k I spent buying it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

The_Final_Stand posted:

Question: as someone who enjoyed X3 (TC and AP) but skipped Rebirth, would you recommend this new X game to me now, over the Christmas break, or should I wait for patches/sales to continue polishing it up?

Wait until Spring probably.

ProfessorLemur
Nov 14, 2014
I was always told to wait until the release of the next X game before buying, since most, if not all, bugs would've been fixed and for modders to work their magic.

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe

Polikarpov posted:

Public Service Announcement: OSHA does not exist in the X universe and your miners will happily fly into radioactive death asteroid fields in search of sweet methane. RIP M Fart Huffer 6, all 11 souls aboard and the ~550k I spent buying it.

I don't think the radioactive death clouds affect ships if you are out of sector. There is also an abandoned Drill in one of them, but as soon as you get close it starts taking damage and explodes.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The_Final_Stand posted:

It's good for a new X game but also still has quite a few issues/balance problems give it a few months and maybe check back after the first DLC.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

This is a good time to be playing Rebirth. Just following the storyline, I'm kind of liking it so far. And the Skunk cockpit designs are pretty immersive.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Be sure to get the mods to not have to small talk to see stats/get trade agents! Also; remember you can buy stuff from space. I didn't realize that forever.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone give me a quick rundown on builder finances? What does it cost you to hire one vs how much do you make when you hire your builder to others?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unimpressed posted:

Ah okay, guess I was getting ahead of myself...

I mean there's no reason why you couldn't, but there's some suggestion that they specifically made them immortal for some reason.

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Can someone give me a quick rundown on builder finances? What does it cost you to hire one vs how much do you make when you hire your builder to others?

It costs 50k to hire one. They will stay on station until you run out of things to build. Unless, I think, if you deconstruct a module then it sometimes seems to make them give up and leave and you have to rehire them when you're done deconstructing.

I haven't bought one because, well, no point. They're very cheap to hire. So I don't even know if you can hire them out.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 19, 2018

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I captured one, none of the NPC capitals are properly crewed for some reason. I can put it on 'search for build jobs' but it hasn't built any NPC stations

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like NPCs would probably just use their own construction ships when they want to build a station because... why wouldn't they? The game doesn't really have any independent traders flying around like the player, so anyone that wants to build a station probably already has their own fleet. I'm not sure how frequently the AI chooses to build new stations anyway. The "search for build jobs" order might only exist because the AI uses it to offer ships to hire for the player.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
The factions have so many of the things flying around doing nothing anyway

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It might pick the closest builder to the station or hire one if none of their own are in a certain range, maybe? I’ve seen my builder building one station. But I noticed any income.

Also does levelling up the crew increase building speed?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bandaid.friend posted:

The factions have so many of the things flying around doing nothing anyway

Yeah that's the thing, the AI massively overbuilds them.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

xanif posted:

Someone is working on a mod to make the X4 universe more like the X3 universe: https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=406274

So far...

I don't much like the idea of a step back into X3 style uniform sector design. I think X4 makes things more interesting with the combination of jump gates, accelerators, and super highways. There is much more variety to the universe.

I'd rather that be expanded upon than reverting to the grid sectors of X3.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Inverness posted:

I don't much like the idea of a step back into X3 style uniform sector design. I think X4 makes things more interesting with the combination of jump gates, accelerators, and super highways. There is much more variety to the universe.

I'd rather that be expanded upon than reverting to the grid sectors of X3.

Yeah I like the geography that this system gives the sectors. Looking at that map makes my eyes glaze over and fills me with dread of having to try and go anywhere.

As Egosoft expand the ingame map I'd like more integrated superhighways though, like you'd have the main one going through a system, but a seamless branch off it to another gate to feed in to another cluster of sectors so that autopilot doesn't mess around with slowboating across systems like it sometimes does now. Something like what they obviously intended for Holy Vision, except the autpilot doesn't seem to understand it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The western sectors were the most griddy though I did learn the feel of them over time. As you got away from Argon Prime though it got much more spread out and windy.

Though yes I also think the X4 map needs to be adapted to because it can quite well represent a hierarchical layout with its non uniform scaling.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The one requirement for a bigger map would be jump drives. Getting anywhere in x3 without a jd pr ajd was a massive chore-cant even imagine how bad this would be what with the much bigger sectors and all.

I do feel like there needs to be a lot more "frontier"/border space, though. Some more or less lawless sectors that arent just xenon would be nice.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Naturally Selected posted:

The one requirement for a bigger map would be jump drives. Getting anywhere in x3 without a jd pr ajd was a massive chore-cant even imagine how bad this would be what with the much bigger sectors and all.

I do feel like there needs to be a lot more "frontier"/border space, though. Some more or less lawless sectors that arent just xenon would be nice.

The player HQ gives you a teleport, you can teleport from anywhere to any other ship you own in the entire galaxy. This means you need to stage your ships instead of having 1 awesome ship you always fly, you need to fit out 5 or 6.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Did they patch out teleporting to any station in the galaxy as well?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
X3 seems like a really cool game but every time I try to get into the tutorials I just get overwhelmed with information and when I just try to learn by playing I just float around before getting lost and quit.

I will learn this some day.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Over There posted:

X3 seems like a really cool game but every time I try to get into the tutorials I just get overwhelmed with information and when I just try to learn by playing I just float around before getting lost and quit.

X3 definitely has a learning curve - I could never really get into it either. I was able to pick up Rebirth relatively easily though, and that experience seems to have translated to being able to understand X4 without much trouble so I might have some luck if I tried to go back now. Rebirth actually kind of seems like an ideal "starter" X game now, basically for all the reasons that the hardcore X series fans hated it - it's simpler.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Over There posted:

What I found worked really well was going through every binding and unbinding everything then mapping it and writing the controls down in a google doc as I mapped them. I then looked at the controls as I needed them and eventually stopped having to look at the list. This also lets you map very little and just get started with the basics.

Quick check list.

Undock: get comfortable moving around the station change your thruster speed make a manual orbiting path around the station trying to keep your distance just get a good feel for the ship and controls. This is a good idea with any new ship as each handles differently.

Dock: Buy a docking computer, but manually docking is a good test of maneuverability so dock and undock a few times.

Trade: while docked buy something that is cheap.

(X4) Long Range Scan: Secondary fire charges while in Long Range Scan mode, do this and you should get some pings on some nearby stations, go to them and see if they'll buy whatever the gently caress you bought. If not keep going to stations until you do. You don't need to dock to see what they have. You may want to be dropping satellites at each station so you get pricing and supply updates.

(X4) Travel Mode: Use this to go fast, eventually you can build a SETA drive.

When lost press M and look at the map, you can always right click and say "set guidance" and it will set way points to go there, you can also just turn auto pilot one if you have a death wish or a good angle.

edit: You said X3 not X4, most of this still applies though. You NEED SETA in X3, I think you start with it, if not it's your first upgrade to purchase.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Did they patch out teleporting to any station in the galaxy as well?

At least in 1.32, you could still hop to Xenon wharfs. Sadly no way to stow away on the mining ships that park in there.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like NPCs would probably just use their own construction ships when they want to build a station because... why wouldn't they? The game doesn't really have any independent traders flying around like the player, so anyone that wants to build a station probably already has their own fleet. I'm not sure how frequently the AI chooses to build new stations anyway. The "search for build jobs" order might only exist because the AI uses it to offer ships to hire for the player.

Well, I installed the X3 map mod and the war/conquest mod and I can say yes, they do use their own builders. I say this because every time I checked to hire a building for my station there were about 20 construction ships available and all of them were busy.

I eventually tried making my own builder and it took forever. The shipyards kept pumping out freighters/miners because they are L hulls that take less resources than my XL hull. I eventually had to spend the better part of 5 hours making M traders and running engine parts to the shipyard my builder was queued at until eventually the build queue was fully saturated and my builder built.

The factions are going crazy pumping out new stations and PAR has already taken one neutral sector. I'm hoping xeno's expand as well. I installed a mod to increase their damage output significantly and buff their shield regen. Still very early in the game so I'm interested to see where it goes.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
1.5 released with new Ventures mode.

quote:

With this, the final update for this year, we introduce "Ventures" - an exciting new feature in which you send your ships out into other players' universes to explore and bring back rewards. Please note that this feature is currently in BETA and will be expanded upon in the new year. Happy holidays!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Something egosoft says is beta... oh dear.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
man, finally, sadly i dont think we can go poo poo on someones desk, just yet.
also, I gotta go to the ego forum and drink those sweet tears of all the fuckups who dont want egosoft to obliterate their "immushun" via online stuff.

Also, Egosoft seem oddly aware of goons and our fondness for "get out" : the paranid usually say it.

also, wtf?

Foundations x is a shipskin, I have a mod that unlocks them all and gives you 50 of the most expensive, whelp, so much for buying a fleet on startup.

Visssssiiiitssssss!!

staberind fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 20, 2018

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Wow I had a snowballing issue where transferring credits from my station accounts was causing lock ups shortly after the transfer. I had to ctrl-alt-del to stop the game. It was getting more and more consistent to the point where I would save before moving any money and save again afterwards.

I think this patch just fixed it. So whatever the bug was thank god the game was reaching unplayable.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The no mods things for ventures is sad but understandable. Someone released the Taranis from X Rebirth as an argon capship on Nexus today, Arawn next apparently.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

So...might be some issues remaining with shipyards/wharfs supply still. Started a new game (Argon one since it seems least buggy), and before I even finished going to upgrade the ship with a T2 docking module, it was already short on parts.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Slickdrac posted:

So...might be some issues remaining with shipyards/wharfs supply still. Started a new game (Argon one since it seems least buggy), and before I even finished going to upgrade the ship with a T2 docking module, it was already short on parts.

So: working as expected.

Protip, nodan vanguard best small ship and cheapest, get it from the wharf next to where you start as a Paranid. (the gooniest race)

FrickenMoron posted:

The no mods things for ventures is sad but understandable. Someone released the Taranis from X Rebirth as an argon capship on Nexus today, Arawn next apparently.

As you can see above, i got visitors, and my game is always modified.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

quote:

We are happy to announce today the availability of Update 1.50 of X4: Foundations. It adds the ability to ask people for directions, reintroduces a more talkative Betty shipboard computer and fixes a long list of issues. With this update, the game now also gets its first ever X online mode called Online Ventures.

Youtube video: Features of 1.50 and Online Ventures explained - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuONlBUTuy0

X4: Foundations - Online Ventures
The Egosoft team today releases our first experimental online gameplay mode for any X game into BETA. We call it "Online Ventures".

With X4: Foundations online ventures, every player can send a ship into other players' universes and allow visitors into their own.

Visitors to your universe can easily be identified in HUD and on the map.

They will see your ships the way you designed and decorated them (an exception is if you created your own custom logo).

Assign ship to a venture dock before sending it into a parallel universe.

After building a VENTURE PLATFORM and a VENTURE DOCK, you can send any S or M ship on a selected venture.

Different ventures unlock different rewards. For now they are all safe!

Ventures can take anywhere from one hour to several (real-time) days and will, with a bit of luck, unlock some exclusive rewards on success.

Every player can get one venture platform and one venture dock and build it on any station or on his or her player HQ.

X4 Manual
More information about how this works can be found in our X4: Foundations Manual. -> https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence/display/X4WIKI/X4%3A+Foundations+Manual

Its a BETA - More to come soon
While the online venture gameplay is now available to all with the normal version of X4: Foundations on Steam and GOG, the online feature itself is still in BETA. There is no risk to your savegames or to stability, but the ventures themselves might go wrong.

Participation in this new online mode is entirely optional and only possible with one unmodified savegame at a time!

Happy holidays and a great 2019!
Happy holidays from the entire team. We are very much looking forward to building on this great FOUNDATION that is X4 with updates and expansions in 2019!

Changelog:
• NEW FEATURE (BETA): Send your ships on ventures into other players' universes!
• Added (BETA) Japanese localisation.
• Added option for "Betty" to speak target names.
• Added option to undock and abort ship upgrades that are waiting for resources.
• Added turret behaviour settings to the Ship Interactions menu (including L/XL ship turret groups).
• Added notification in case player-owned ship is unable to dock as ordered.
• Added inventory net worth in empire overview.
• Added cooldown for station repair when stations are under attack.
• Added entry for the manual to Help menu.
• Improved performance with AMD GPUs.
• Improved ability of lasertowers to track targets.
• Improved faction rebuilding logic to not overload shipyards as much.
• Improved traders supplying shipyards and wharfs.
• Improved "Where can I find...?" dialogue option.
• Changed inventory drop button to drop all selected wares if multiple are selected (for single wares amount can still be chosen).
• Changed maximum damage done to ships due to sabotage by bailing pilots.
• Fixed getting left behind when leaving your ship in the space suit while in relative movement with a bigger ship.
• Fixed squadron subordinates sometimes flying extremely far from their commanders while flying in formation.
• Fixed station-based mining ships delivering very few resources to their station if the station has little to no funds.
• Fixed shipyards not stockpiling enough resources for ships with large amounts of deployables, and miscalculating resource allocation for other wares.
• Fixed further case that could lead to police punishing player for retaliating against pirates.
• Fixed capital ships sometimes bouncing off of each other when attempting to dock to exchange wares.
• Fixed pirate ships congregating around their own stations.
• Fixed and prevented pirate ships attempting to plunder in highways.
• Fixed receiving requests from other pilots for help while not in a cockpit.
• Fixed player-owned docked ships requring additional instruction to proceed with orders after being given new orders.
• Fixed Xenon and Kha'ak ships always having very bad pilots.
• Fixed incorrect reputation requirements for friend/ally ceremonies of Ministry of Finance.
• Fixed repair mass traffic of pirate ships causing reputation loss when destroyed.
• Fixed turrets and self-maintenance not working on ships whose pilots bailed out.
• Fixed job ships not filling out their squadrons to make up for combat losses.
• Fixed player ship not being included in boarding menu ship selection if player ship is selected along with other player-owned ships.
• Fixed target of successful boarding operation sometimes getting some owner other than the player faction.
• Fixed newly-boarded ships retaining their old orders.
• Fixed lasertowers deployed by AI pilot waiting for player to tell it to proceed before deploying while player is standing on ship.
• Fixed defence drones attempting to go to dock for repairs and to get more supplies.
• Fixed mining ships not correctly reporting when they have completed their order.
• Fixed player station managers not being assigned correctly in certain situations.
• Fixed being able to teleport to stations that are not player-owned or allied.
• Fixed missile blueprints not being available (now available from faction representatives).
• Fixed HQ Escort mission selecting an inactive gate for the ship to fly through.
• Fixed Satellite Coverage mission.
• Fixed Rescue Ship mission not rewarding any credits.
• Fixed ships to be rescued from a minefield responding to attacks.
• Fixed other lasertowers in a group not responding if one of them is attacked.
• Fixed several issues with Find Lockbox mission, including it not finishing in certain cases.
• Fixed Repair mission not completing if object got repaired in the meanwhile.
• Fixed Acquire Captain mission being available for spacesuit.
• Fixed Assassination missions selecting player-owned NPC's as mission-target.
• Fixed abort condition for several missions.
• Fixed several tutorial progression issues.
• Fixes savegames with stalled guild missions.
• Fixed player not being correctly refunded when aborting some ship builds.
• Fixed shipyards and wharfs never building again if they were hacked.
• Fixed Xenon shipyards and wharfs sometimes storing wares they don't need.
• Fixed menu crash when upgrading capital ships.
• Fixed trade context menu being black.
• Fixed doors sometimes getting stuck after loading a savegame.
• Fixed NPC ships being removed on loading savegame in some situations.
• Fixed failure to open Logical Station Overview for large stations and for low UI scale values.
• Fixed plot management menu breaking with too many stations.
• Fixed freeze in map when viewing information on very large stations.
• Fixed mission briefing in ultra-wide resolutions.
• Fixed start menu not opening in certain cases.
• Fixed missing German character voices.
• Fixed various localisation issues.
• Fixed reversed front/back speakers.
• Fixed causes of several freezes and performance issues in specific circumstances.
• Fixed several other causes of rare crashes.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/392160/announcements/detail/1714081669509728236

edit: Added the youtube and manual links.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 20, 2018

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Slickdrac posted:

Neutral wharfs/shipyard seem to have less strain on their parts usage. They are useful for building medium haulers to move parts around to keep ships building.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Which sectors actually have the new venture stations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Ready and waiting for SS Cocks to be sent to my world!