Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

evilweasel posted:

is the whole new "steel slats" obsession a way to rebrand the chain-link fencing that exists as THE WALL or is there something else i'm missing

Trump heard a bunch of Fox people saying "Dems just hate the word WALL we should call it something else" and thought it was a serious plan, but he's too stupid to do it so he keeps reminding people 'THIS MEANS WALL'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

sexpig by night posted:

I'm just in general a huge fan of how you took 'he wasn't wrong to do a dumb press event with NK to help SK move negotiations forward and the media flipping out about it was dumb' to mean 'ACTUALLY I LOVE MR TRUMP HE'S SO SMART'

I do love the whiplash between 'actually the SDA want us there so we can never leave Syria' and an example of SK actually literally asking for support in diplomacy being treated as a huge blunder. I guess 'but they WANTED us there' only applies to when we're blowing people up and not meaningless photo-ops

Keep knockin' down those strawmen, dude.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

One day we're going to hear about all the crazy conversations about this see through wall

We'll be reading about it on stone tablets, but it will be a nice distraction from the cholera epidemic

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Trump's mushbrained obsession with steel slats is hilarious, in that it reminds me of a toddler's sudden fascination with trucks or cranes or whatever.

Also, dealing with the cognitive dissonance around Trump's occasional halfhearted lapses into policy that viewed with a squint could be described as decent isn't that hard. He's always had moments where he approaches things that from other people would be good ideas, it's just that he promptly executes them for the worst possible reasons and in a way seemingly designed to produce as few good results and as many bad as possible. Every single theoretically-decent policy his diseased brain or criminal administration has produced has turned out that way.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

evilweasel posted:

is the whole new "steel slats" obsession a way to rebrand the chain-link fencing that exists as THE WALL or is there something else i'm missing

Nah it's actual vertical steel slats. Squeeze bags of coke right on through that sucker, but at least they ain't gonna hit you on the head.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

I think he understands he can’t.

He’s backed himself into a corner and there’s really no way for him to come out of this without a shut down.

yeah but something convinced him he had to back down two days ago, and whatever that was hasn't changed. at the core, the issue is there's no way for him to come out of this with a win, period.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

AC/DC music is accompanying her wherever she goes now, and no one knows where it’s coming from.

I'm thinking "Back in Black" would work.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1075788215309737984

Lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

One day we're going to hear about all the crazy conversations about this see through wall

We'll be reading about it on stone tablets, but it will be a nice distraction from the cholera epidemic

the conversation that literally went:

-adviser says the wall needs to be transparent, as in about funding and such

-trump goes 'yea because they throw drugs over and hit people in the head'

-this becomes a major part of his wall agenda

is probably the best thing he's done with his dying brain

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Unfortunately the tablets will be made from the rubble of the now-destroyed wall.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

She's fighting not to smile from ear to ear right now. Pelosi has a hand that's all aces, plus an extra ace up each sleeve.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

mdemone posted:

Nah it's actual vertical steel slats. Squeeze bags of coke right on through that sucker, but at least they ain't gonna hit you on the head.

Maybe they'll be built around Donald's proportions, which means everyone who's not shaped like a beanbag will be able to squeeze through as well

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

we're gonna break this down for you real slow. fair warning the first one may cause you some pain. don't worry, the second one will make you feel comfortable again.

1. sometimes, the things the united states does... are bad.

Man, get a load of this shocking new concept here in d&d! :rolleyes:

No poo poo buddy, we all know the US does bad things. Nobody is arguing that.

We are calling the arguement that Trump inexplicably did a good thing by unilaterally negotiating with North Korea, when it has been shown to be the absolute loving failure that it is on multiple occasions, the stupid loving arguement that it is.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

evilweasel posted:

yeah but something convinced him he had to back down two days ago, and whatever that was hasn't changed. at the core, the issue is there's no way for him to come out of this with a win, period.

Oh yeah absolutely.

I guess the safe bet is miller?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mdemone posted:

yeah but why is he now obsessed with talking about the steel slats and how that is DEFINITELY a wall? why is that something he's suddenly fixated on? who was going "ahem the proposed steel slats are not a wall" that needed to be countered?

like the only thing i can think of is someone in the white house came up with the idea that steel slats might technically not be a wall ergo the ban on using DHS funding for "a wall" would let him build it anyway and he misunderstood them and is now screaming IT IS TOO A WALL missing the point entirely

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh yeah absolutely.

I think Miller may have inhaled too much of that fake hair.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Man, get a load of this shocking new concept here in d&d! :rolleyes:

No poo poo buddy, we all know the US does bad things. Nobody is arguing that.

We are calling the arguement that Trump inexplicably did a good thing by unilaterally negotiating with North Korea, when it has been shown to be the absolute loving failure that it is on multiple occasions, the stupid loving arguement that it is.

did you finish reading the post

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Turks aim to murder a group of people based largely on their ethnic identity. How is that not textbook genocide?

Uh huh. And what would you call the countless bombings and shootings committed on Turkish civilians by the PKK?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurdistan_Workers%27_Party#History

quote:

From the mid-1990s, the organization began to lose the upper hand in its operations as a consequence of a change of tactics by Turkey and Syria's steady abandonment of support for the group. The group also had lost its support from Saddam Hussein.[40] At the same time, the government started to use more violent methods to counter Kurdish militants. From 1996 to 1999, the organization began to use suicide bombers, VBIED and ambush attacks against military and police bases. The role of suicide bombers, especially female ones were encouraged and mythologised by giving them the status of a "goddess of freedom", and shown as role models for other women after their death. On the 30th of July 1996, Zeynep Kınacı, a female PKK fighter, carried out the organization's first suicide attack, killing 8 soldiers and injuring 29 others. The attacks against the civilians, especially the Kurdish citizens who refused to cooperate with them were also reported at the same years. According to the HRW, the organization is believed to have been responsible for at least 768 extrajudicial executions, mostly of civil servants and teachers, political opponents, off-duty police officers and soldiers, and those deemed by the group to be state supporters. Additionally, the organization committed 25 massacres, killing more than 300 people, including thirty-nine women and seventy-six children.

Essentially, the Turkish-Kurdish conflict is enormously complicated and has a long history. Labeling one side's action's as "genocide" (or whatever loaded term you want to use) while completely ignoring the horrendous crimes committed by the other side doesn't do you any favors. Context matters.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

USPOL Winter: Nice Meltdown

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

Oh yeah absolutely.

i'm wondering if someone told him that he might get a short shutdown but eventually republicans were gonna override his veto. i just don't quite get how anyone convinced him to back down in the first place.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the best part is 'steel slats' could work because Pelosi and Schumer were both dumb enough to agree 'yes border security is very important' and functionally offered him everything BUT a wall, and then weirdly obsessed over 'a CONCRETE WALL' in their statements, and have records supporting 'fencing' programs that were just walls with a better name.

Like, this actually is a layup for Trump, his 'opposition' doesn't actually care about anything but the optics, but he's so drat stupid he doesn't get he gives the game away when he adds (WALL).

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

enraged_camel posted:

Uh huh. And what would you call the countless bombings and shootings committed on Turkish civilians by the PKK?

Essentially, the Turkish-Kurdish conflict is enormously complicated and has a long history. Labeling one side's action's as "genocide" (or whatever loaded term you want to use) while completely ignoring the horrendous crimes committed by the other side doesn't do you any favors. Context matters.

If we turned around and put the Germans all in camps after WWII that's still genocide you immoral dummy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

enraged_camel posted:

lol is this when you ask if there's a white genocide going on in south africa next

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

you'd have much more of a point if that conflict hadn't ended and then erdogan recently deliberately restarted it for political reasons

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I'm thinking "Back in Black" would work.

Definitely something from the Bon era. I'm thinking "For those about to rock" considering the last election. :smuggo: FIRE!

E- "Dirty deeds done dirt cheap" already having been commandeered by McConnell.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 20, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

the best part is 'steel slats' could work because Pelosi and Schumer were both dumb enough to agree 'yes border security is very important' and functionally offered him everything BUT a wall, and then weirdly obsessed over 'a CONCRETE WALL' in their statements, and have records supporting 'fencing' programs that were just walls with a better name.

This is some Sov Citizen level understanding on how government works.

“One weird trick to get the Democrats to pay for THE WALL. Liberals hate it!”

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

None of you motherfuckers know what it is like to walk down the street and wonder if the car you're walking past has been rigged by the PKK and will explode. I do, because I was born and raised in Turkey. So don't loving lecture me on "genocide".

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1075382269647486976

quote:

Just more than 4 in 10 American voters surveyed in a new Politico/Morning Consult poll released on Wednesday would blame President Trump if the government partially shuts down this week. 

The survey found that 41 percent of respondents say they'd blame Trump for a shutdown. Ten percent say they'd blame Republicans in Congress if a shutdown takes place. 

Fifty-five percent of voters polled in the new survey said that funding for a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border is not important enough to shut down the government.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this truly is hellworld.

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1075788245420703744

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

evilweasel posted:

Desperately trying to get those steel plants running after auto industry killing tariffs didn't do it?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

enraged_camel posted:

None of you motherfuckers know what it is like to walk down the street and wonder if the car you're walking past has been rigged by the PKK and will explode. I do, because I was born and raised in Turkey. So don't loving lecture me on "genocide".

That sucks and I'm sorry that happened to you, but supporting genocide as some sort of revenge isn't right.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol this shutdown is definitely happening

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1075790746094047233

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

It's ok. We know Turkey doesn't like talking about genocides.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

enraged_camel posted:

You will be rightfully called out for “whataboutism” though.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I get a certain amount of schadenfreude from the fact that this is the last thing Paul Ryan gets to deal with. No elegant stride out of office, but dealing with a screaming toddler.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

CascadeBeta posted:

That sucks and I'm sorry that happened to you, but supporting genocide as some sort of revenge isn't right.

I don't support genocide, dude. I'm just saying that what is currently happening is not genocide.

Erdogan can go suck a dick, as far as I'm concerned.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

I wouldn’t sympathize with an Englishman who would be alright with death squads going around village to village across Ireland because he had to worry about the IRA bombing his place of business so I’m not going to sympathize with you.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

LegendaryFrog posted:

You will be rightfully called out for “whataboutism” though.

im ok with that

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

innocent israelis shouldn't be afraid to ride the bus but the reason they're afraid is because of israel's actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

sexpig by night posted:

I'm just in general a huge fan of how you took 'he wasn't wrong to do a dumb press event with NK to help SK move negotiations forward and the media flipping out about it was dumb' to mean 'ACTUALLY I LOVE MR TRUMP HE'S SO SMART'

I do love the whiplash between 'actually the SDA want us there so we can never leave Syria' and an example of SK actually literally asking for support in diplomacy being treated as a huge blunder. I guess 'but they WANTED us there' only applies to when we're blowing people up and not meaningless photo-ops

Stop embarrassing yourself