Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ague Proof posted:

I wonder what Warmbier's chud family felt when Trump said he was in love with Kim Jong Un.

Same thing the soybean farmers did. "Well, he's betrayed us and everything we believe in, but we gotta take one for the team to MAGA!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

??

https://twitter.com/DelWilber/status/1075782313475223552

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

pseudanonymous posted:

How is handing a propaganda victory and legitimizing the Kim regime in return for nothing a "good move"?

because governments don't actually need a US stamp to become 'legitimate' and the idea that somehow there's a difference between him putting dissidents in death camps and (insert like half our allies here) doing it is pretty absurd. Like, do you think before we 'legitimized' the Literal Kim Dynasty In North Korea they were somehow seen as a false government by their people?

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I am riding a plane by myself for the first time Christmas Eve night so I hope that they handle the infant, as even if it is open, I don't want to deal with unhappy TSA.

If it makes you feel any better this has become so common (the threat of shut downs) that most of the agencies have money put aside so they can keep running and pay their employees. Anywhere from a few days to a few weeks - it really depends on how much they have squirreled away.

On a side note, bring some good headphones and reading materials and the flight will be a breeze!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Gnumonic posted:

It's horrifying to me that a substantial portion of this thread seems to believe that a genocide or massacre of the Kurds is perfectly OK because we know a priori and with certainty that any US military action (even the presence of advisers who exist solely to deter a massacre) would have worse consequences. It's possible to believe that 1) US interventionism over the past 30-40 years has generally had negative consequences, 2) that we're more or less responsible for how bad things are now, and that 3) immediately abandoning our allies and allowing them to be murdered is STILL A BAD THING that is in fact worse than the alternatives.

Personally I think we should tell Erdogan to gently caress right off and offer fullhearted support for a Kurdish state, because I don't see why the gently caress we should consider ourselves allied with the man who's jailed more journalists than any other leader. But even if you disagree with me, it's a false dichotomy that the only choices are WITHDRAW EVERYTHING NOW or FOREVER WAR, and if you really think those are the only two options that you're a loving moron. We could easily allow a token number of US troops to remain as a deterrent while working to negotiate safe zones for the Kurds in Syria. The long term risks of leaving some advisers around to deter Erdogan are very very low, and the upside in terms of lives saved is very high. We can exercise substantial leverage over Turkey to achieve this. And not every use of the US military is morally/politically/legally equivalent to the Iraq war. There are some instances where immediately withdrawing our forces will almost certainly have far worse consequences than allowing them to remain, and this is one of those cases.

I sincerely hope that none of you ever has to be in a situation like the Kurds are now, but I think that if y'all were, you'd very quickly reconsider your "genocide is bad but trying to stop it is even worse! and we don't want to stop it for the right reasons so why bother!" view. That's a very... privileged... view to take of the situation.

bad news, friend. the choices are withdraw everything now, or continue fighting the war until our goals (1. ???, 2. give sales demonstration for Raytheon) are met. a state of affairs which, typically, gets truncated to Forever War.

how's afghanistan going, by the by.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/kasie/status/1075783074896625664

I love it

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

If it makes you feel any better this has become so common (the threat of shut downs) that most of the agencies have money put aside so they can keep running and pay their employees. Anywhere from a few days to a few weeks - it really depends on how much they have squirreled away.

On a side note, bring some good headphones and reading materials and the flight will be a breeze!

Once again the pragmatist staff cover for the goober elected.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

sexpig by night posted:

because governments don't actually need a US stamp to become 'legitimate' and the idea that somehow there's a difference between him putting dissidents in death camps and (insert like half our allies here) doing it is pretty absurd. Like, do you think before we 'legitimized' the Literal Kim Dynasty In North Korea they were somehow seen as a false government by their people?

It really shows how out of touch liberals are with the rest of the country. Rust belt whites don't give a poo poo about woke foreign policy and 1000 special forces deployments overseas. In the past, democrats offered those people union jobs to manufacture the endless supply of bombs and other supplies needed to fuel the wars, but now that we can do drone strikes and rapid deployments all over the world that bribe has been cut off in the name of "fiscal responsibility."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

Trump's insane obsession with DEALS DEALS DEALS actually can help in some foriegn policy things. If he's genuinely willing to fight his own party he can probably spin 'actually we won the war is over goodbye' into a message his base will accept for Afghanistan/Iraq too (though he'll wait for 2020 for that, Syria is testing things out).

But like we saw with North Korea, his dumb brain actually making him buck foriegn policy blob orthodoxy and talk to The Savage Orientals as if they're a valid nation was actually a good move, the whole 'hermit kingdom' doctrine was stupid and yea we probably should be in talks with BOTH Koreas. I don't think Trump is smart enough for that poo poo, but the reaction from the dems to go "OH MY GOD YOU HAVE BETRAYED YOUR NATION SIR" in response was insane and I'm sure we're gonna see that again over our foreverwars too.

do...do you think that previous administrations refused to talk to north korea? like, do you seriously think that nobody before trump had the idea of trying to talk to north korea, it took his unparalleled brilliance to come up with that idea?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

evilweasel posted:

do...do you think that previous administrations refused to talk to north korea? like, do you seriously think that nobody before trump had the idea of trying to talk to north korea, it took his unparalleled brilliance to come up with that idea?

No but you wouldn't be able to tell that from the media having a group meltdown over our two big wet boys having a photo-op.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Imagine being Nancy Pelosi right now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
maybe they were mainly mad that trump refused to do the traditional macarena with a Kim

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

evilweasel posted:

it is so goddamned cute watching them go from HOW DARE TRUMP ACKNOWLEDGE THE KIM REGIME to 'well of course we always acknowledged the kim regime' in a split second

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

FizFashizzle posted:

Her Typhoon augment hasn't been completed yet.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

reminder: they literally can't get a whole bunch of reps to vote because once they lost their election they didn't have a place to stay in DC (no offices anymore) so they're not present for votes

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it is so goddamned cute watching them go from HOW DARE TRUMP ACKNOWLEDGE THE KIM REGIME to 'well of course we always acknowledged the kim regime' in a split second

Sir, SIR, the PROPER procedure is to send the nation's top diplomat to do a cute dance with the head of North Korea and his military advisers. By standing awkwardly for a picture with him yourself you have done a treason and are now under arrest.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

Trump's insane obsession with DEALS DEALS DEALS actually can help in some foriegn policy things. If he's genuinely willing to fight his own party he can probably spin 'actually we won the war is over goodbye' into a message his base will accept for Afghanistan/Iraq too (though he'll wait for 2020 for that, Syria is testing things out).

But like we saw with North Korea, his dumb brain actually making him buck foriegn policy blob orthodoxy and talk to The Savage Orientals as if they're a valid nation was actually a good move, the whole 'hermit kingdom' doctrine was stupid and yea we probably should be in talks with BOTH Koreas. I don't think Trump is smart enough for that poo poo, but the reaction from the dems to go "OH MY GOD YOU HAVE BETRAYED YOUR NATION SIR" in response was insane and I'm sure we're gonna see that again over our foreverwars too.

North Korea talks have gone exactly loving nowhere, and NK used them as a political stunt

How was that a "good move?"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

No but you wouldn't be able to tell that from the media having a group meltdown over our two big wet boys having a photo-op.

so you know that when you're praising trump for his brilliance in talking to north korea and how that was some massive breakthrough it's nonsense. what in god's name was your point then? so we had previous administrations that did not get anything done with north korea and...we have trump who got nothing done with north korea, but gave them things they wanted in exchange for nothing.

here is a quiz: north korea consistently wanted direct talks with the united states. the united states always insisted on including south korea and china. south korea, the reason is sort of obvious. china, the answer is not obvious, and it's why trump made a massive fuckup. why has the united states insisted on including china in the talks, and why was failing to include china in the talks such a fuckup?

if you don't know the answer to this you really shouldn't be spouting off on how brilliant his negotiations with north korea were

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

Talking to Kim with no preconditions was and still is a terrible, terrible idea. The North Koreans have repeatedly shown that they, like Trump, do not negotiate in good faith. Other Presidents have been smart enough to know that. Trump was not. Maybe the media framing was lovely, but the overarching message was still valid.

Party Plane Jones posted:

reminder: they literally can't get a whole bunch of reps to vote because once they lost their election they didn't have a place to stay in DC (no offices anymore) so they're not present for votes

This is absolutely incredible. How many people is the Republican caucus in the House down right now?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

Sir, SIR, the PROPER procedure is to send the nation's top diplomat to do a cute dance with the head of North Korea and his military advisers. By standing awkwardly for a picture with him yourself you have done a treason and are now under arrest.

Don’t forget saluting NK generals for some reason.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What the gently caress point is sexpig even arguing anymore?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Could you even imagine if Trump's first veto is on a CR from his congress? :vince:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Talking to Kim with no preconditions was and still is a terrible, terrible idea. The North Koreans have repeatedly shown that they, like Trump, do not negotiate in good faith. Other Presidents have been smart enough to know that. Trump was not. Maybe the media framing was lovely, but the overarching message was still valid.

This is absolutely incredible. How many people is the Republican caucus in the House down right now?

Well, every GOP rep that retired no longer has an office, which was a bunch of them. Every rep that lost reelection doesn't, either. Some Dems didn't stick around for the next congress, but it's way way more than that. So they're relying on these reps sticking around Washington voluntarily at Christmas as their last act as representatives to make Trump happy.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That America has always been governed by Trump, and always will be governed by Trump. Trumps all the way down and all the way up.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

CascadeBeta posted:

Could you even imagine if Trump's first veto is on a CR from his congress? :vince:

I don't think, ultimately, that he has the balls to veto, as funny as it is to think about it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

he actually thought nobody had thought of talking to north korea before and has had to beat a hasty retreat into nonsense by squirting up as many buzzwords as possible and hoping those will attract fellow idiots to leap in with additional chaff

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sarcastr0 posted:

That America has always been governed by Trump, and always will be governed by Trump. Trumps all the way down and all the way up.

I mean in the grand sense more or less. Our ruling class has always been stupid wealthy assholes who's main agenda is to enrich themselves, it's just Trump is the most vulgar version of it so it's easier to point at and go 'hey this seems wrong'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

evilweasel posted:

he actually thought nobody had thought of talking to north korea before and has had to beat a hasty retreat into nonsense by squirting up as many buzzwords as possible and hoping those will attract fellow idiots to leap in with additional chaff

you are medical

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao do it

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1075787676371046400

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the reality, which is much too complex for sexpig to understand, is that the united states has realized that north korea isn't exactly reliable when it comes to deals with the united states; but because they depend on chinese support they will keep a deal with china because they cannot afford to insult china. so if you want to do a deal with north korea, it has to also be a deal with china. if you do a deal any other way, like president smoothbrains did, you're writing the deal on water.

why everyone mocked trump for his diplomacy with north korea was because anyone with even a passing familiarity with north korea knew he was loving it up and his diplomacy would produce precisely nothing. lo and behold, it did.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

He'll cave. He always does, because that's what cowards with no real principles do.

NOTE: Not saying they're good principles.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

we're gonna break this down for you real slow. fair warning the first one may cause you some pain. don't worry, the second one will make you feel comfortable again.

1. sometimes, the things the united states does... are bad.
2. donald trump is bad, at what he does.
3. sometimes, someone who is bad, at doing bad things, inadvertently does something that is a net good, in that it makes doing more bad things harder.

as an example, consider the time that donald trump stopped the infantile game of "notarealcountrysayswhat" we've been playing with north korea ever since we lost a war to them

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

The Dems should requisition a trip to a junkyard to buy up all of their scrap metal and dump it all on the White House lawn and say he can build the Wall now.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

it is worth pointing out of course that north korea might be a more reliable negotiating partner today had bush II not shredded the agreements they reached with Clinton, but that was close to two decades ago and we can't exactly go back and change that bit of history, much as we might like being able to do so

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Honestly a little shocked he actually remembers the Omnibus Bill. I figure he only remembers things that make him look good or things that REALLY piss him off, so I guess he must've hated it even more than we realized, lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

evilweasel posted:

the reality, which is much too complex for sexpig to understand, is that the united states has realized that north korea isn't exactly reliable when it comes to deals with the united states; but because they depend on chinese support they will keep a deal with china because they cannot afford to insult china. so if you want to do a deal with north korea, it has to also be a deal with china. if you do a deal any other way, like president smoothbrains did, you're writing the deal on water.

why everyone mocked trump for his diplomacy with north korea was because anyone with even a passing familiarity with north korea knew he was loving it up and his diplomacy would produce precisely nothing. lo and behold, it did.

I'm just in general a huge fan of how you took 'he wasn't wrong to do a dumb press event with NK to help SK move negotiations forward and the media flipping out about it was dumb' to mean 'ACTUALLY I LOVE MR TRUMP HE'S SO SMART'

I do love the whiplash between 'actually the SDA want us there so we can never leave Syria' and an example of SK actually literally asking for support in diplomacy being treated as a huge blunder. I guess 'but they WANTED us there' only applies to when we're blowing people up and not meaningless photo-ops

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

is the whole new "steel slats" obsession a way to rebrand the chain-link fencing that exists as THE WALL or is there something else i'm missing

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

it is worth pointing out of course that north korea might be a more reliable negotiating partner today had bush II not shredded the agreements they reached with Clinton, but that was close to two decades ago and we can't exactly go back and change that bit of history, much as we might like being able to do so

nah you shouldn't bring that part up, their entire argument is based on pretending Donald Trump is brilliantly bucking the foreign policy of both parties

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

AC/DC music is accompanying her wherever she goes now, and no one knows where it’s coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

He'll cave. He always does, because that's what cowards with no real principles do.

NOTE: Not saying they're good principles.

I think he understands he can’t.

He’s backed himself into a corner and there’s really no way for him to come out of this without a shut down.