Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1075273027271585792

MHA is starting a lot later next year. Gotta let the manga breathe.

Semi related, but I can see the same happening to Slime if they decide to roll out the next season soon after this one ends to maintain momentum. I could definetly see it getting pushed into Spring or even Summer of 2020 to let the manga breath since Kodansha doesn't went it to nip at its heels.

Edit: Top Selling Media Franchises for 2018

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-12-19/top-selling-media-franchises-in-japan-2018/.141064

SLIIIIME!

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Crunchyroll will be hosting dubbed episodes of Shield Hero the same day they air in Japan.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This might be old news but HOLY poo poo CHIHAYAFURU SEASON 3 IS HAPPENING

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How did Shield Hero get so big, anyway? I feel like the 'isekai with terrible gender politics' market should be kind of oversaturated by now.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Next two seasons will be ridiculous for adaptations

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

Crunchyroll will be hosting dubbed episodes of Shield Hero the same day they air in Japan.

That's better than what it deserves. I do have to admit, Crunchyroll knows it's market PERFECTLY well hence a previous post about the GS fiasco being a completely intentional and calculated move.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

How did Shield Hero get so big, anyway? I feel like the 'isekai with terrible gender politics' market should be kind of oversaturated by now.

turns out there's no bottom to that well

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's been rolling for five years so the anime is kind of expected

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Stateside and in Europe? That's all on Crunchyroll knowing there are a bunch of chuds who will eat it up.

As for in the homeland, no clue. I don't know enough about Japanese politics to speculate.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

Not sure how big it actually is though. Like dogsicle said, yeah it's been going on for a while and has a bunch of spinoffs, but I don't recall it being this massive thing in any of its mediums. Got a lot of good rep some years ago, but that was some years ago. It's been getting some buzz, but along with it some revival of its more controversial aspects so who knows. Either way, the nerd incel market is eternal.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

who cares about all this junk, the chad volcel slime is superior in every way

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Slime show is also bad, it's just not really morally contemptible.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rimuru is living his best life, and helping those around him do the same.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

doomrider7 posted:

Not sure how big it actually is though. Like dogsicle said, yeah it's been going on for a while and has a bunch of spinoffs, but I don't recall it being this massive thing in any of its mediums. Got a lot of good rep some years ago, but that was some years ago. It's been getting some buzz, but along with it some revival of its more controversial aspects so who knows. Either way, the nerd incel market is eternal.

I'm pretty sure the reason it seems so big right now is Crunchy's heavy marketing for it, and I think they're on the production committee, so yeah.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It has a lot of marketing going into it, but from what I've heard over the past year, shield hero was a pretty popular light novel series and helped bolster the boom of them over the past half-decade, though idk how true those claims are.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Please look forward to #ShieldHeroEN's truly simuldub, gamers

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm pretty sure the reason it seems so big right now is Crunchy's heavy marketing for it, and I think they're on the production committee, so yeah.

Yeah I know about that and it loving pisses me off. Like, why not back stuff like Gridman, Zombie Land Saga, Slime, Promised Neverland, or any of the other great shows running and upcoming? Why go for the worst crap? Rhetorical question since I'm already fairly sure why, but it still infuriates me and depresses me about the fandom.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They fund a decent spread of stuff, I dunno the degree to which accessibility and opportunity plays a role in getting on committees, and fantasy LN stuff is generally popular on CR, so idk

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

Yeah I know about that and it loving pisses me off. Like, why not back stuff like Gridman, Zombie Land Saga, Slime, Promised Neverland, or any of the other great shows running and upcoming? Why go for the worst crap? Rhetorical question since I'm already fairly sure why, but it still infuriates me and depresses me about the fandom.
I mean, it's not about 'the fandom,' all the things you just listed are insanely popular, way moreso than shield hero. crunchyroll is promoting shield hero heavily because it has a stake in it. the fandom has no impact on that.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Terrible Opinions posted:

Slime show is also bad, it's just not really morally contemptible.

Slime show rules actually, it's so loving nerdy and detailed and it feels luxurious

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Julias posted:

It has a lot of marketing going into it, but from what I've heard over the past year, shield hero was a pretty popular light novel series and helped bolster the boom of them over the past half-decade, though idk how true those claims are.

Very true. I do remember it being repped a lot some years ago, but the same could apply to several others like Moshuko Tensei, Arifureta, and others. I do remember Shield Hero moving out of the pack more, but can't recall the specifics or why.

chumbler posted:

Rimuru is living his best life, and helping those around him do the same.

I'm so sad that we won't get to the LN4 and most definetly the LN5 stuff. And yes I 100% agree. According to my source guy, that was a MAJOR catalyst to its popularity. The LN details it better, but Rimuru is very much not a self insert. Like yes you would like to BE him, but not in any different way you'd want to be protagonist of any other show or game, but would greatly settle for just working with him in some capacity. He has likes, dislikes, doubts, virtues, and failings one of which that the manga and anime gloss over is that for a big chunk of LN's 1 and 2, he's still mentally rather condescending to his monster people. Not in a racist "these people are beneath me" but more, "they're pretty good/smart for monsters" and stays a somewhat distrustful of them for a bit. This is largely gone by LN3 and even more so in LN4 with it being COMPLETELY gone in 5. The fact that the series also has a nice easy going pace with some instances of action and adventure have also made it very appealing to people.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

I mean, it's not about 'the fandom,' all the things you just listed are insanely popular, way moreso than shield hero. crunchyroll is promoting shield hero heavily because it has a stake in it. the fandom has no impact on that.

Yeah I know. It just pisses me off that out of all the great shows to buy into they picked THAT one.

an actual dog posted:

Slime show rules actually, it's so loving nerdy and detailed and it feels luxurious

Read the LN's they're all of that, but more of it including Gobta's Big Adventure.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

plenty of isekai stories objectify women, but shield hero really goes the extra mile by escalating it to the actual fear and mistrust common in the incel movement

doomrider7 posted:

my guess would be that when an anime platform publishes chum for the chuds, it drives away traffic that would potentially go to the good stuff. i have to assume zombieland saga and goblin slayer aren't showing up on the same networks in japan, but they are in the same networks in america, and there's a limit to people who will be willing to put up with the latter to support the former

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think anyone really cares about one over the other, and again, zombieland is way more popular, on crunchyroll, in the west, than goblin slayer is. like western fan polls have zombieland way higher than goblin slayer. goblin slayer is not this massively popular scourge on the world. anime news network's cumulative rankings (based on voted ratings and interest on individual episodes, averaged over time) have it below freaking honda-san and karakuri circus. that one facebook group that everyone posts the popularity charts from has it below bloom into you. there's that literal nation of goblin slayer meme image based on crunchyroll's viewer rankings but, goblin slayer generated a ton of controversy, its unsurprising its viewer count was massive. long term fan engagement does not seem to that ridiculously high to justify all this handwringing.

it's okay. you can stop caring about goblin slayer. anime is okay. the show that's ridiculously successful and everyone loves is not being destroyed and shamed by the one-off light novel adaptation. breathe.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Endorph posted:

i dont think anyone really cares about one over the other, and again, zombieland is way more popular, on crunchyroll, in the west, than goblin slayer is. like western fan polls have zombieland way higher than goblin slayer.

there's that literal nation of goblin slayer meme image based on crunchyroll's viewer rankings but, goblin slayer generated a ton of controversy, its unsurprising its viewer count was massive.

????

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

long term, consistent popularity and a bunch of people watching a couple of episodes are not the same thing

goblin slayer can have the latter by a wide margin without having the former. i've seen like, no evidence to prove that goblin slayer is anything but moderately popular from pretty much any source i can find, even 'normie' ones. it is not the biggest show of this season by any metric that i can find besides one viewer data thing from crunchyroll.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm not sure an Anime News Network or Facebook poll is reliable for determining the popularity of a show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm not sure an Anime News Network or Facebook poll is reliable for determining the popularity of a show.
its a lot more reliable than 'goblin slayer must be insanely popular because Anime Fans Are Bad', and 'zombieland saga is unpopular (even though it isn't) because Goblin Slayer exists'

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If you wanna go by CR's internal "most watched ep" metrics then 99% of traffic all goes to the shounen standbys

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

If you wanna go by CR's internal "most watched ep" metrics then 99% of traffic all goes to the shounen standbys

actually yeah even crunchy's own 'popular!" section has goblin slayer below zombieland, slime, black clover, and bunnygirl senpai.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
to be clear i think the good shows would be more popular if they were on properly curated platforms as opposed to being thrown into a big jumble alongside the rapey nationalism show. i agree that goblin slayer is not that popular, but i think it's driving down interest in other, better shows. i would definitely be more ready to recommend crunchyroll to other people if it weren't so invested in sharing its space with an endless parade of slavery harem isekais

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

corporations are literally the last people on earth I'd trust with any kind of 'curation' especially since a ton of shows that aren't actually nationalist get branded with that label, like youjo senki or girls und panzer or whatever, so I don't think that's a road that'd be good for anyone to go down.

And, iunno, netflix hosts tons of movies that exist solely as propaganda for the US military which is the kind of media that costs more lasting harm than anything goblin slayer could ever do, but I never see that kind of attitude about netflix.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

its a lot more reliable than 'goblin slayer must be insanely popular because Anime Fans Are Bad', and 'zombieland saga is unpopular (even though it isn't) because Goblin Slayer exists'

I don't think anyone is saying that, but more that it's more popular than it has any business being so likely due to the controversy that was likely cause intentionally by CR for that specific purpose. The discussion though was more about how Crunchy seems to buy into and sponsor stuff like Shield Hero when there are so many better options. In any case,

With no context, here's a picture of Rimuru in a Bunny Outfit.

Behold. The REAL Bunny Senpai!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

*shrug* i definitely think that everything getting put in the same pot has shaped western perception of the medium, but that applies to the torrent/VHS/etc days too, and plenty of innocuous shows start or stay stuck in the late-night environment in japan anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

The discussion though was more about how Crunchy seems to buy into and sponsor stuff like Shield Hero when there are so many better options.
I mean, that's hardly the only kind of anime they've been involved in. Some random examples of other anime they've been a producer on:

A Place Further Than The Universe
Ancient Magus Bride
How To Keep A Mummy
Yuru Camp
Recovery of an MMO Junkie

Motto posted:

*shrug* i definitely think that everything getting put in the same pot has shaped western perception of the medium, but that applies to the torrent/VHS/etc days too, and plenty of innocuous shows start or stay stuck in the late-night environment in japan anyway.
That I can agree with, but I don't think the kind of people who think all anime is for perverts would be super into a show about zombie idols regardless of goblin slayer being on the platform.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
For the popularity thing, you also need to consider places like Reddit and bootleg rip sites like Kissanime.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

I mean, that's hardly the only kind of anime they've been involved in. Some random examples of other anime they've been a producer on:

A Place Further Than The Universe
Ancient Magus Bride
How To Keep A Mummy
Yuru Camp
Recovery of an MMO Junkie

Fair point. It's just frustrating I guess since this coming season has some promising looking stuff. Now back to Rimuru in a Bunny Outfit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

For the popularity thing, you also need to consider places like Reddit and bootleg rip sites like Kissanime.
Sorting by popularity on kissanime goblin slayer is approximately #293. It's freaking kissanime so this is probably 'views ever' rather than 'views recently,' but still.

doomrider7 posted:

Fair point. It's just frustrating I guess since this coming season has some promising looking stuff. Now back to Rimuru in a Bunny Outfit.

it is a cute bunny

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

crunchyroll helped fund kemono friends and now season 2 will be a corporate hellhole, no coincidence there if you ask me. if you have any moral backbone at all you'd have cancelled your subscription already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

crunchyroll helped fund kemono friends and now season 2 will be a corporate hellhole, no coincidence there if you ask me. if you have any moral backbone at all you'd have cancelled your subscription already
kemono friends killed that penguin