Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Here’s some nice gameplay tips/walkthrough advice for Shadow Warrior Classic from my new favorite channel the thread showed me: https://youtu.be/6nP1rpvmZk4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Also Lee Jackson did the music so there are some great tracks in that game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arivia posted:

Here’s some nice gameplay tips/walkthrough advice for Shadow Warrior Classic from my new favorite channel the thread showed me: https://youtu.be/6nP1rpvmZk4

Good poo poo, thanks! I might watch these at work today since my manager is out.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I did my first shadow warrior playthrough because of that video a few days ago. It kind of surpassed my favorite build game tied with Blood and replacing Duke 3D.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
You know what I like about System Shock's combat? It's scrappy. You don't have the agility of the Doomguy or Caleb, or the destructive capability of Duke. You're cyberpunk John McClane and almost every enemy is a hitscanner who can shave off your health real fast if you're not careful, so combat is all about getting the drop on fools and setting up traps, which is why you have so many different kind of placeable/throwable explosives. Happy trails, Shodan.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Playing system shock 2 awhile back I remember an odd joy of defeating an enemy, taking the shotgun, stripping it of its single shell and then dropping the shotgun. Something felt methodical and every single bullet I scavenged counts.

I really need to go back because I have system shock 1 updated port and my system shock 2 save was lost during a windows reinstall.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Re: Shadow Warrior, it's also worth picking up the free version on Steam, because it includes a big pile of prototype versions that document the development hell that game went through pretty thoroughly.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Kins posted:

Re: Shadow Warrior, it's also worth picking up the free version on Steam, because it includes a big pile of prototype versions that document the development hell that game went through pretty thoroughly.

Back when Duke 3D came out, the disc had DN1 and 2, shareware versions of a bunch of Apogee games, plus screenshots for a bunch of in development games. Those screenshots for SW definitely looked different than the finished product.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
gently caress I'm enjoying his Pro Blood videos so much. Smirking every time he comes up to the hot bullshit I know is around the corner and laughing at his solutions.

:allears:

Caleb is the best build engine protagonist by a country mile.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Is there a difference in balancing of damage, enemy AI or anything else between Nightmare or Ultra Nightmare in Doom 2016? Playing campaign on both and they feel fairly similar, wondering if campaign ultra-nightmare is simply just the permadeath.

Also steam sale! Probably a heads up no one needed:

More importantly it'll probably be easier to tweak to get running on W10 than the Steam version.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Since it was on sale, I bought the Shadow Warrior Classic Redux on GOG for $2.49 last night. Aside from the first two levels of Duke3d, which are pretty good, I haven't played a build engine game before. How does this game hold up? is it balls hard compared to today's shooter and should I play on baby mode? For reference I beat Episode IV in Ultimate Doom on Hurt Me Plenty with relative ease.

Read up on enemies. The game does that thing where there are a bunch of palette swaps of the basic enemy where some are pretty weak but others can absolutely destroy you without much warning. Read up on weapons. Some have unexpected mechanics or useful alternate modes. You do the alternates by pressing the weapon key# again. Smoke bombs own. Also don't think it's like Doom where UV is the modern default difficulty. The "easier ones" are actually pretty challenging on a first run.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 21, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm not sure if I've said it before, but I think Shadow Warrior's arsenal is one of my favorites with regards to classic FPS games. The nuclear warhead for the rocket launcher is just...absurdly powerful. Probably one of the easiest weapons to kill yourself with, outside of some of the weapons from the UT'99 mod, Unreal4Ever (like the thermonuclear doll bomb and the QSG). I feel like most people accidentally killed themselves with it the first time they got their hands on it.

Also while the smoke bombs are unexpectedly useful, I used the poo poo out of the gas bombs. Chucking a canister into a dark room and smoking out whatever was inside (or killing it) never got old.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 21, 2018

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Holy crap, Dusk loving goes places :stare:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Just a reminder that Blood GDX fixes the difficulty glitch, which means you can play on the lower difficulties that change the amount of damage you take. Making the game actually playable for those of us who haven't mastered the circle strafe.

Compare this to Duke 3d which only changes the amount of enemies and therefore can leave the novice player without much to stand on.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Ularg posted:

Is there a difference in balancing of damage, enemy AI or anything else between Nightmare or Ultra Nightmare in Doom 2016? Playing campaign on both and they feel fairly similar, wondering if campaign ultra-nightmare is simply just the permadeath.

Also steam sale! Probably a heads up no one needed:

More importantly it'll probably be easier to tweak to get running on W10 than the Steam version.

It's the same except with permadeath.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Fallom posted:

Holy crap, Dusk loving goes places :stare:

With every new map I get more into it. I love how small, scripted parts fall into place in the open maps. Scenes like discovering the literal writing on the wall before finding out the implications of this giant machine at the end of episode two and the church in episode three are fantastic moments that rival parts of Deus Ex and Bioshock for me in being meaningfully designed while still feeling tailormade to my experience. Its Lovecraftian in the way it combines meaningful dreamlogic with uncovering something deeply wrong, in a way I rarely encounter. Nearing the end now and kind of want to make a larger effortpost when I finish it to see other peoples interpretation of the story.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I'm considering getting Amid Evil or Ion Maiden in the sale, which would be a better buy at this point? (and which is more likely to get finished and not be bad?)

Would have probably just got Ion Maiden but apparently Amid Evil changed the enemy AI so that everything isn't a Serious Sam Kamikaze?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

C.M. Kruger posted:

I'm considering getting Amid Evil or Ion Maiden in the sale, which would be a better buy at this point? (and which is more likely to get finished and not be bad?)

Would have probably just got Ion Maiden but apparently Amid Evil changed the enemy AI so that everything isn't a Serious Sam Kamikaze?

Amid Evil is much further along at the moment. I believe it's going to have 7 acts upon completion, and 5 of those acts are currently available. And that's correct, Amid Evil's enemy AI was reworked a while back so that different enemies behave differently; It's a lot more diverse now.

What's currently available of Ion Maiden is basically a demo. And while I think both games will end up excellent, I suppose that we know less about Ion Maiden, so the possibility of being an overall drag is greater than the ~70% of Amid Evil that is presently available.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 21, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Sobatchja Morda posted:

With every new map I get more into it. I love how small, scripted parts fall into place in the open maps. Scenes like discovering the literal writing on the wall before finding out the implications of this giant machine at the end of episode two and the church in episode three are fantastic moments that rival parts of Deus Ex and Bioshock for me in being meaningfully designed while still feeling tailormade to my experience. Its Lovecraftian in the way it combines meaningful dreamlogic with uncovering something deeply wrong, in a way I rarely encounter. Nearing the end now and kind of want to make a larger effortpost when I finish it to see other peoples interpretation of the story.

I've been thinking about it and yeah, for some reason I've gotten a greater sense of menace and foreboding in Dusk's environments...even when compared to, say, Dead Space. I can only assume that it has something to do with the crude graphics (which leave a lot to the imagination) and the surrealistic presentation (which makes everything feel a little like a bad dream).

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've been thinking about it and yeah, for some reason I've gotten a greater sense of menace and foreboding in Dusk's environments...even when compared to, say, Dead Space. I can only assume that it has something to do with the crude graphics (which leave a lot to the imagination) and the surrealistic presentation (which makes everything feel a little like a bad dream).

I get Postal vibes with the art style of dusk.

I do not like Postal.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Amid Evil is much further along at the moment. I believe it's going to have 7 acts upon completion, and 5 of those acts are currently available. And that's correct, Amid Evil's enemy AI was reworked a while back so that different enemies behave differently; It's a lot more diverse now.

What's currently available of Ion Maiden is basically a demo. And while I think both games will end up excellent, I suppose that we know less about Ion Maiden, so the possibility of being an overall drag is greater than the ~70% of Amid Evil that is presently available.

That really makes me want to play Amid Evil again- I had some definite complaints when I played it and the really boring and bad AI was a big one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, I really, really love simple but effective game music. One of my absolute favourites from Half Life 2 is CP Violation.

I think I just found the 'emotional equivalent' from Half Life 1 (well, OpFor, but whatever):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMF_PRSXbXk

I loving LOVE this track, and don't remember it from way way back when I last played the game.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

You know what I like about System Shock's combat? It's scrappy. You don't have the agility of the Doomguy or Caleb, or the destructive capability of Duke. You're cyberpunk John McClane and almost every enemy is a hitscanner who can shave off your health real fast if you're not careful, so combat is all about getting the drop on fools and setting up traps, which is why you have so many different kind of placeable/throwable explosives. Happy trails, Shodan.

It does get a little bit trivialized once you realize you can lean around corners and blast most enemies without repercussion. Still, that's if you have time to set up. Frantically pumping half a mag of your precious flechettes into an invisible mutant that pops up in your face in a dark hallway? That's another story.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

chaosapiant posted:

Cool, sounds good. Why would I want to turn off the voices? Is it one of those things were it came out in the 90s and now it's basically outdated racist/misogynist humor? If so, I'm cool with that, the 90s were my jam. Or is it because it's just terrible and grating?

Because Shadow Warrior is Duke Nukem except with the sexism replaced with racism.

There's also secret hidden naked anime girls.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
That shoot you for pestering them. So there's that. :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Every now and then I put some thought into doing a Shadow Warrior mod that replaces Wang's voice with the 2013 version's, but then I remember I'm lazy and it's probably not easy to rip audio from the Road Hog engine.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

OK real talk. Is it just me or is the writing in Shadow Warrior 2 a huge step back from the writing in (nu) Shadow Warrior 1? Like both games have occasionally cringey Lo Wang one liners but I felt like the first one was a little more subtle and he was a lot more likeable, and Hoji was like, surprisingly decent earpiece character of the year. 2 is ROUGH, from the amount I've played, and the gameplay is super weird.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Glagha posted:

OK real talk. Is it just me or is the writing in Shadow Warrior 2 a huge step back from the writing in (nu) Shadow Warrior 1?
This seems to be a fairly common complaint from what I saw when the game came out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It undoes all the character growth Lo Wang had in the first game without any explanation and that completely ruined it for me personally.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Shadow Warrior 2, Wolfenstein 2 and The Darkness 2 form a trifecta of horribly written sequels to great games.

CJacobs posted:

It undoes all the character growth Lo Wang had in the first game without any explanation and that completely ruined it for me personally.

They try to pass it off (or at least did in the first trailer for the game, only hinted during the story itself) as him being bitter that what he did in the first game only made things worse (the merging of both realms).

GUI fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 21, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Glagha posted:

OK real talk. Is it just me or is the writing in Shadow Warrior 2 a huge step back from the writing in (nu) Shadow Warrior 1? Like both games have occasionally cringey Lo Wang one liners but I felt like the first one was a little more subtle and he was a lot more likeable, and Hoji was like, surprisingly decent earpiece character of the year. 2 is ROUGH, from the amount I've played, and the gameplay is super weird.

It's absolute garbage when the writing in 1 was actually pretty drat good.

It's a really common criticism of 2.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I felt it in the early trailers honestly. Theeeen they introduced your new head buddy and... yeah.

:v:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Glagha posted:

Yes SW2's writing (and a lot of the game really) are complete trash. It's very telling that the one short scene where they tease a return for Hoji is the best written thing in the entire game and then it ends on "you thought we were going to bring likeable characters back? Nah gently caress you.".

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i actually liked the new buddy in shadow warrior 2. she just had the misfortune of being in a game with absolutely dogshit writing. everything about the gunplay and overall flow was more fun than the first game but nothing related to the actual characters was done well or used well.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
This is still the most humanizing moment of Doom 2016, that quick hesitation before doom guy decides to back VEGA up before opening the portal. And I didn't even realize that there's subtitles for a line you can't really hear.

VEGA: "I have many regrets Dr. Hayden"

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

chaosapiant posted:

Cool, sounds good. Why would I want to turn off the voices? Is it one of those things were it came out in the 90s and now it's basically outdated racist/misogynist humor? If so, I'm cool with that, the 90s were my jam. Or is it because it's just terrible and grating?

Yeah if you like Duke 3d with voices on you'll like Shadow Warrior. Lo Wang's lines are so ridiculously stupid I can't help but laugh

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I hope they do something in Eternal with VEGA. Was such a nice AI buddy.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Doomguy and VEGA are best friends.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thyrork posted:

Caleb is the best build engine protagonist by a country mile.

Only because he quotes Andrew Dice Clay, showing good taste. Also Army of Darkness, but Duke already covered that, I dunno I think Duke is right up there. I have a The Crow poster like everyone else should, of course Caleb is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Caleb also quotes Doc Holiday so that just cements it for me.