Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Those look a lot better than the filters that come with zdoom, so I approve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah I'm not sure why gzdoom defaults to having trilinear filtering on cuz that does not look good with sprites at all

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It has more fine details, but still hurts my eyes in the same way the Scale2X/Hq2x/whatever blur filters do.

Also yeah GZDoom should default to nearest neighbor upscaling and trilinear downscaling because the default settings probably turn off a lot of people from even considering using it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's been discussed, and for various reasons the GZDoom devs aren't interested in changing the default texture filter settings. That being said, a complete re-do of the options menu has been mooted for a while, and some kind of first-run preset-selector may end up being a part of that.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The wider attention to the neural upscaling mod began after I asked hidfan to neural upscale the Cacowards to (I think) great effect.

I agree that it looks slightly weird in actual usage but I also think people tend to underestimate how much detail it adds. When I play with it on I think "this looks about twice as detailed as the originals and it seems pretty good but not perfect" and I don't even think about the objective fact that it's actually FOUR times as much detail. Even if something seems a little "off" there is still a lot of hallucinated detail in the upscales that I just accept as normal and not even new at all.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
it's super cool. other games are getting into it as well, there's now a morrowind texture pack that uses similar neural upscaling to........interesting effect.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

ETPC posted:

it's super cool. other games are getting into it as well, there's now a morrowind texture pack that uses similar neural upscaling to........interesting effect.

Outlander :)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I tried the upscales and they're impressive and surprisingly hard to notice unless you do side-by-side comparisons. It's hard to call it more detailed though because the neural networking isn't actually constructing new details. As a starting point for an artist, though, the potential is huge. The Cacoward image looks great.

These 2x images could also look good if combined with material maps (someone started doing it for the original assets although in a very flat-looking way: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/100298-pbr-for-original-doom-textures/). I think the biggest potential to improve how Doom looks is in the lighting.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

EVIL Gibson posted:

This is now all over the place from nothing but all the articles written about it game out a couple of hours ago.

Guy ran through most of the textures in doom through Nvidia Gameworks Super-Resolution which uses a neural net AI that works to figure out what the "original", larger image would be based on the "thumbnails" provided.

Basically, guy told an AI that the doom textures are thumbnails and try to figure out what the image looked like, say, 8x as big. Then he took the results and shrunk them back down to Doom texture size. The difference is... very non-pixely.

I find it interesting because the AI is not asked to make the textures look more dingy or more hellish but just to figure out what it thinks it would look like if id's artist team replaced their resources with the computing power of today.

Lots of people on the doomworld forums are saying the lack of pixels makes the games lose the original feeling/theme but lots of the models the AI created almost look like the original sculpts.

https://i.imgur.com/kfcAVEZ.jpg - close up of an archvile and a zombie.

https://twitter.com/doom_txt/status/1075174324682674177?s=09

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

brutal doom already using downsized real life corpse pics so i guess most of the work is done i guess??

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The future is now, old man!

Linguica posted:

The wider attention to the neural upscaling mod began after I asked hidfan to neural upscale the Cacowards to (I think) great effect.

I agree that it looks slightly weird in actual usage but I also think people tend to underestimate how much detail it adds. When I play with it on I think "this looks about twice as detailed as the originals and it seems pretty good but not perfect" and I don't even think about the objective fact that it's actually FOUR times as much detail. Even if something seems a little "off" there is still a lot of hallucinated detail in the upscales that I just accept as normal and not even new at all.

I'll give it credit the way it makes the points of the spikes and teeth pointier and rounds the blobs here (I won't be happy till I see what it does with the cyber-demon and caco butt) looks really nice, is the process available on github like the one the morrowind one?
Be cool if they could make a neural net that takes the drawn shadowing of a sprite and rigs a normal map for it without the need for a 3d model the same way you can make a normal map from a photo of something lit in a particular way.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

ETPC posted:

UwU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
glad it's getting the attention it deserves because it's great imo but i cant lie i laughed when i opened the doomworld thread yesterday and there was a banner at the top explicitly for reddit people so they dont poo poo up the thread asking how to use it

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Okay I finally bought Dusk. Excited because I haven't played any of these old school revival shooters.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Pretty neat, if nothing else because of the revisit of well-known places from a new perspective, but that movement speed is not conducive with a happy stomach :D

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i finished dusk and the only bummer is there's no more of it to play.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

That thread reminded me, is there a zdoom like thing for the original Dark Forces yet?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

That thread reminded me, is there a zdoom like thing for the original Dark Forces yet?

XL engine was getting there but the guy got distracted by something else. Last I recall he'd released some code so maybe someone else will finish it, though I wouldn't hold your breath

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm still mad about the XL Engine. What a loving waste of time and energy for everybody involved. The old alpha is still out there, and I hope you can still find the unofficial fixes for that, but that wasn't 100%.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

catlord posted:

I'm still mad about the XL Engine. What a loving waste of time and energy for everybody involved. The old alpha is still out there, and I hope you can still find the unofficial fixes for that, but that wasn't 100%.
The dude behind that reminded me of the DirectQ (Quake on Direct3D) author. Both guys were doing really promising work then they completely vanished due to unspecified personal reasons.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

david_a posted:

The dude behind that reminded me of the DirectQ (Quake on Direct3D) author. Both guys were doing really promising work then they completely vanished due to unspecified personal reasons.

That's life, you can't really be mad at them they're doing it in their spare time and probably burned out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

noctis v is coming out any day now

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Flannelette posted:

That's life, you can't really be mad at them they're doing it in their spare time and probably burned out.
I feel like you could at least spend 2 minutes to leave a parting message.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
i love the doom_txt twitter.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fallom posted:

:(

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

david_a posted:

I feel like you could at least spend 2 minutes to leave a parting message.

The kind of person who attempts such a project probably has social anxiety so the thought of having to come out and say "I can't do it anymore sorry to let everyone down" would probably make ghost it and never look back very appealing.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

david_a posted:

Quake on Direct3D

why, though?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BattleMaster posted:

why, though?
Because OpenGL drivers are largely garbage, especially for Intel GPUs.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Fallom posted:

Still waiting after 17 years. Must be close!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
More like Noctis XVII.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Flannelette posted:

The kind of person who attempts such a project probably has social anxiety so the thought of having to come out and say "I can't do it anymore sorry to let everyone down" would probably make ghost it and never look back very appealing.

The Early FPS Megathread - The kind of person who attempts such a project probably has social anxiety

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Flannelette posted:

I haven't even had the chance to start making maps yet and I already know how it ends now.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Flannelette posted:

I can't get mad at someone for dropping a project on the floor or even for not formally announcing that the project is dead, I've done that plenty.

I absolutely can get mad at someone for refusing to let anyone else help on the project or see the source code even once it becomes clear it's too big for one person to finish, repeatedly posting "there's an update coming real soon (ps I'm not going to release the source code because I'm still working on it)" for years with no update materializing, and then finally releasing the source after five years of inactivity and everyone else has moved on.

I mean, better late than never, but for gently caress's sake.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Like They Hunger Lost Souls. A one sentence blog post saying the game is cancelled woulda been cooler than just.....whatever the hell those devs did. I heard the director got super sick or something but who knows.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Since it was on sale, I bought the Shadow Warrior Classic Redux on GOG for $2.49 last night. Aside from the first two levels of Duke3d, which are pretty good, I haven't played a build engine game before. How does this game hold up? is it balls hard compared to today's shooter and should I play on baby mode? For reference I beat Episode IV in Ultimate Doom on Hurt Me Plenty with relative ease.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Since it was on sale, I bought the Shadow Warrior Classic Redux on GOG for $2.49 last night. Aside from the first two levels of Duke3d, which are pretty good, I haven't played a build engine game before. How does this game hold up? is it balls hard compared to today's shooter and should I play on baby mode? For reference I beat Episode IV in Ultimate Doom on Hurt Me Plenty with relative ease.

Its okay. You may want to turn off the voice lines. Smoke bombs make you invisible and double fist damage. Use the grenade launcher most of the time.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

All Build engine games feature hitscan enemies aplenty. Shadow Warrior is somewhere in the middle of Duke's sensible difficulty and Blood's spiking lunacy. You do get some supremely powerful guns to counteract this, but you better learn to never stop moving in unexplored areas.

So it's hard, but I find it fair when it comes to weapons and health pickups.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cool, sounds good. Why would I want to turn off the voices? Is it one of those things were it came out in the 90s and now it's basically outdated racist/misogynist humor? If so, I'm cool with that, the 90s were my jam. Or is it because it's just terrible and grating?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Cool, sounds good. Why would I want to turn off the voices? Is it one of those things were it came out in the 90s and now it's basically outdated racist/misogynist humor? If so, I'm cool with that, the 90s were my jam. Or is it because it's just terrible and grating?

Its considered racist, but I still laugh at "man who stands on toilet high on pot". The voice actor is John William Galt who also did voice acting for Dues Ex (Manderlery, Jock, and Tracer Tong).

Also sometimes when you shoot nukes he says "just like Nagasaki."

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Its considered racist, but I still laugh at "man who stands on toilet high on pot". The voice actor is John William Galt who also did voice acting for Dues Ex (Manderlery, Jock, and Tracer Tong).

Also sometimes when you shoot nukes he says "just like Nagasaki."

That's good cheesy action poo poo and I have no problem with it. I also never realized that the guy who did Tracer also did Manderly and Jock. That's fascinating.