Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Siljmonster posted:

Elon Musk spends millions on good publicity

Every time he's mentioned or cameos in a movie or TV show I guarantee he paid out the nose for the privilege. The best part is I don't think most people even remember, like he was in Iron Man 2 but literally nobody I've mentioned that to believed me, even though they'd seen the movie. That scene just kinda disappeared from their memory of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shame Boy posted:

Every time he's mentioned or cameos in a movie or TV show I guarantee he paid out the nose for the privilege. The best part is I don't think most people even remember, like he was in Iron Man 2 but literally nobody I've mentioned that to believed me, even though they'd seen the movie. That scene just kinda disappeared from their memory of it.
holy poo poo was he really

what was he like, at the racetrack before the actually interesting parts

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

exactly that, he was shaking Robert Downey Jr.’s hand as he walked into the racetrack

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Here he is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuG2AVFB-g0

They even introduce him so you're sure to know who he is lmao

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shame Boy posted:

Fun Fact: the usual quoted price drug companies give of bringing a new drug to market includes the lost opportunity costs of spending the money on research - as in, a big chunk (probably even most) of the, say, $20 billion a drug development cycle "costs" is actually just the amount of money they "could have" made if instead of researching new drugs they invested it all in the stock market.

wtf

:psyduck:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The entire last season of Silicon Valley had a subplot where they were all buying Teslas to keep up with each other

It was terrible

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shame Boy posted:

Here he is:

those comments

:smith:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

In the most recent Star Trek, they rank him up there with the Wright Brothers and the guy who invented the warp drive.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shame Boy posted:

Fun Fact: the usual quoted price drug companies give of bringing a new drug to market includes the lost opportunity costs of spending the money on research - as in, a big chunk (probably even most) of the, say, $20 billion a drug development cycle "costs" is actually just the amount of money they "could have" made if instead of researching new drugs they invested it all in the stock market.

don't forget that their research is largely borne on the back of publicly funded basic research

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

In the most recent Star Trek, they rank him up there with the Wright Brothers and the guy who invented the warp drive.

That loving pissed me off so bad. I hate Star Trek: Hard Decisions and I refuse to watch that poo poo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mycomancy posted:

That loving pissed me off so bad. I hate Star Trek: Hard Decisions and I refuse to watch that poo poo

Star Trek was always Hard Decisions

At the height, they were just made with moral conviction and professional confidence rather than bravado and eeeedge (and in the dark)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shame Boy posted:

Here he is:

:lol: I can't keep track anymore, but in some thread, they called him Donald Trump with money. This just seals that deal.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Imagined posted:

Buck is a man with a vagina, I'm not sure you picked that up.

Weedlord Vaginahitler

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

The Bloop posted:

Star Trek was always Hard Decisions

At the height, they were just made with moral conviction and professional confidence rather than bravado and eeeedge (and in the dark)
That's the point. The whole 'Hard Decisions' concept is this recent liberal fantasy that let's them adopt the most reactionary tactics. Deathcultists and chuds were always okay with Jack Bauer torturing bad guys, they were the bad guys and deserved it -and the one time he was wrong it left no long term damage so that's okay too. 20 years ago it was controversial that a single time the star trek captain chose to do the bad thing, and it was deliberately written to make you feel uneasy about it.
Now that we tortured some folks, the most moral choice is to do the bad thing for good reasons, but feel bad about it or at least hesitate enough to signal it's a tough call.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

The ten rich guys that own the world own the media companies.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Coolness Averted posted:

That's the point. The whole 'Hard Decisions' concept is this recent liberal fantasy that let's them adopt the most reactionary tactics. Deathcultists and chuds were always okay with Jack Bauer torturing bad guys, they were the bad guys and deserved it -and the one time he was wrong it left no long term damage so that's okay too. 20 years ago it was controversial that a single time the star trek captain chose to do the bad thing, and it was deliberately written to make you feel uneasy about it.
Now that we tortured some folks, the most moral choice is to do the bad thing for good reasons, but feel bad about it or at least hesitate enough to signal it's a tough call.

I think it's an outgrowth of how weak the Democrats are.

Liberalism doesn't provide much in the way of leadership.
Conservatism provides an over-abundance of leadership.

By this method, the Democrats can non-stop fail into doing what the money wants (so that they all get rich).

How often do Republicans accept Democratic framing and talking points?
How often do Democrats accept Republican framing and talking points?

The only time I see Democrats fight as hard as Republicans fight over tax cuts is when Democrats are fighting against their own base.

That kind of thing.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Accretionist posted:

How often do Republicans accept Democratic framing and talking points?
How often do Democrats accept Republican framing and talking points?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

wait did star trek really adopt hillary clinton's memoir about how she pushed for the libya invasion and honduras coup because she knew that since it looked bad it was the right thing to do

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yes it’s real

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

yes it’s real

this seems even less like mexico paying for wall

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

yes it’s real

Yeah I'm sure anonymous rando in Miramar will actually use that money for the wall and not just pocket it.

Then again I assume most of the people who donated don't actually understand how this sort of thing works and just figured it must be an official government thing because it's on the internet after all, you can't lie about that sort of thing!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

yes it’s real

Can I pledge $1 billion?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Can I pledge $1 billion?

It's gofundme so you'd actually need to have $1bn and they'd get it instantly

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Lol it's a money laundering scheme
https://twitter.com/InsectophileJim/status/1075800512207847424

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Taintrunner posted:

yes it’s real

"My name is Brian Kolfage, I have a verified blue check facebook page as a public figure and I’m a Purple Heart Recipient triple amputee veteran."

lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

yeah that makes more sense tbh

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

It's gofundme so you'd actually need to have $1bn and they'd get it instantly

And they could pocket your $1bn and build a 2m long wall and call it a day and thats how GoFundMe works.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So money laundering straight out of Breaking Bad then.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I really hope that family is reported to CPS.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Picnic Princess posted:

*Wears smelly stained sweatpants and tshirt full of holes to office job*

Boss: "Bill I'm sending you home and you can come back dressed fit for work."

"THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS. I'M TAKING THIS TO HR"

*20 minutes later*

"JANET I REFUSE TO WEAR A SUIT. I'M NOT GOING TO PRETEND TO BE SOMEONE I'M NOT. I CAN'T BELIEVE THE SOCIETY WE LIVE IN. DO YOU THINK I'M SOME KIND OF EDWARDIAN PRINCE ALL HOITY TOITY FANCY SCHMANCY?"

expensive suits are exactly as dumb at work as smelly stained clothes though

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
lol, look at this loving ultrawhite family. I am not at all shocked that this is the person behind the Go Fund Trump Wall campaign.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Zuul the Cat posted:

lol, look at this loving ultrawhite family. I am not at all shocked that this is the person behind the Go Fund Trump Wall campaign.

they blend in with the background :O

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

why did you post the tooth whitening ad again

Phobos Anomaly
Jul 23, 2018

Platystemon posted:

The grandaddy is Horace Miner’s “Body Rituals of the Nacirema”.

Slate If It Happened There series is a recent take that comes to mind.

e: Actually, there was a Thanksgiving article in the series. It has a markedly different tone than the article you read, whatever it was.

Body Rituals of the Macarena.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zuul the Cat posted:

The problem with landmines is that they aren't powerful enough

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
isnt being blonde broadly recessive

so they dyed their toddlers' hair nazi blonde

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

steinrokkan posted:

The problem with landmines is that they aren't powerful enough

:vince:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

isnt being blonde broadly recessive

so they dyed their toddlers' hair nazi blonde

A lot of kids are blonde like that as children and then it darkens as they get older, even people with dark brown or black hair as adults. Of all the objectionable poo poo they no doubt do, I don't think peroxide hair treatments on children is one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Don't explain with genetics what you can explain with the poolboy.