Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Silver2195 posted:

This is a terrible idea. Anonymity can provide important protections for women and PoC too.

At this point it mostly just provides protections against all the harassment from assholes empowered by their own anonymity. Unless you mean like protection from governmental crackdowns, but anonymity hasn't existed online wrt a government trying to figure out who someone is for like 15 years now.

E \/ yeah it's interesting just how much impact the ability to trivially screenshot someone being a huge shitlord next to their real name and face (plus often a direct link to their employer) makes to peoples' decisions to be terrible online

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember how for years the adage was that the Internet + anonymity made people into jerks they wouldn’t normally be? Well the last decade of social media has put that idea to rest.

IDK a lot of the worst of the internet is still done by anonymous harassers, egg avatars, etc. I mean, that's not to say people AREN'T dicks/bigots on Facebook, but the anonymity is still very much a factor.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

E \/ yeah it's interesting just how much impact the ability to trivially screenshot someone being a huge shitlord next to their real name and face (plus often a direct link to their employer) makes to peoples' decisions to be terrible online

But again, this doesn't just affect shitlords. Employers aren't necessarily good people, to say the least!

I'm not saying there shouldn't be real-name-only spaces on the Internet, but anonymous places (like this forum) are important too.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 20, 2018

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Like, 'your uncle posts a MAGA rant and shares some racist memes' definitely happens on Facebook, but stuff like sending cavalcades of rape threats and Holocaust pics is still very much an anonymity situation.

Silver2195 posted:

I'm not saying there shouldn't be real-name-only spaces on the Internet, but anonymous places (like this forum) are important too.

Agreed, but I think there's a definite case that the massive 'public square' spaces ala Twitter and Youtube shouldn't be anonymous.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Z. Autobahn posted:

Like, 'your uncle posts a MAGA rant and shares some racist memes' definitely happens on Facebook, but stuff like sending cavalcades of rape threats and Holocaust pics is still very much an anonymity situation.

Agreed, but I think there's a definite case that the massive 'public square' spaces ala Twitter and Youtube shouldn't be anonymous.

Especially considering how many peoples' livelihoods directly or indirectly require them to have a presence on twitter or youtube. It is essentially impossible to be a journalist without having a twitter presence and historically any career that subjects one gender (or group) to a massive amount of harassment will over time be homogenized as people decide it isn't worth continuing or getting started in.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1075533375065202689

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
Exhibits A and B that forcing people to use their real name won't change anything

Facebook users on Trump's family separation camps and photos of children in cages:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

I think his brokebrained obsession with winning is perhaps one of the most infuriating things about Trump. I wonder if he declares himself "winning at oral hygiene" when he remembers to brush his teeth.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Those were comments on an article from the summer about the family separations right? Pretty sure I recognize them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Edit: wrong thread

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Those were comments on an article from the summer about the family separations right? Pretty sure I recognize them.

There's a good chance lots of those aren't their full names.

After graduation, most people in my class changed their Facebook names to be some odd variation or combination of letters that was similar but definitely not their legal names, mainly to avoid clients from trying to friend them on Facebook (so often both first and last name were altered).

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
The opioid crisis, meanwhile, has been raging on for awhile in places within shouting distance of my house. Sometimes they make it to the clinic. Sometimes they get clean in the same basements I haunt. Sometimes they soldier on, because they've been around long enough to know calling for an ambulance is how you end up in jail.

This article hosed me up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/local/opioid-epidemic-and-its-effect-on-african-americans/?utm_term=.625abdaea34a

Read all of this if you're not fully aware of what's going on in the forgotten parts of cities. I'd copy-and-paste, but it wouldn't do it justice. Read it in print this afternoon and it's haunting me.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

twice burned ice posted:

Exhibits A and B that forcing people to use their real name won't change anything

Facebook users on Trump's family separation camps and photos of children in cages:

There's a major difference between the ability to post racist, idiotic poo poo in a comments sections of a news article and the ability to freely send off personal death and rape threats directly to the inbox of any woman who writes an article you don't like. One is stupid, racist and probably not good for career prospects; the other is actively illegal, directly discriminatory, and historically a really quick way to lose your job if done with real name attached.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

So has anyone else heard the long NPR investigation into the new black lung epidemic?

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/18/675253856/an-epidemic-is-killing-thousands-of-coal-miners-regulators-could-have-stopped-it

quote:

A multiyear investigation by NPR and the PBS program Frontline found that Smith and Kelly are part of a tragic and recently discovered outbreak of the advanced stage of black lung disease, known as complicated black lung or progressive massive fibrosis.

A federal monitoring program reported just 99 cases of advanced black lung disease nationwide from 2011-2016. But NPR identified more than 2,000 coal miners suffering from the disease in the same time frame, and in just five Appalachian states.

And now, an NPR/Frontline analysis of federal regulatory data — decades of information recorded by dust-collection monitors placed where coal miners work — has revealed a tragic failure to recognize and respond to clear signs of danger.

For decades, government regulators had evidence of excessive and toxic mine dust exposures, the kind that can cause PMF, as they were happening. They knew that miners like Kelly and Smith were likely to become sick and die. They were urged to take specific and direct action to stop it. But they didn't.

quote:

It's a familiar tale across Appalachia. Two hours north and east, beyond twisting mountain roads, Danny Smith revved up a lawn mower. He wore jeans, a T-shirt and a white face mask stretching from eyes to chin, and he pushed only about 15 feet before he suddenly shut off the mower, bent to his knees and started hacking uncontrollably.

"Oh God," he gasped, as he spit up a crusty black substance with gray streaks, and then stared at the dead lung tissue staining the grass. Still coughing and breathing hard, Smith settled into a chair on his porch and clipped an oxygen tube to his nose.

After spending just 12 years underground, his lungs are so bad he faces what coal miners decades older and with decades more in mining have endured. His lung tissue is dying so fast, his respiratory therapist says, it just peels away.

"I'm terrified," Smith said, as he remembered his father's suffering when he was struggling with the same coal miner's disease.

"I sure don't want to go through what he went through. I seen a lot of guys that died of black lung and they all suffered like that."

I remember being horrified and outraged learning about black lung when I read October Skies 15 years ago, a book that was set in the sixties. Decades later thousands of people are still being exposed to dangerous particulate matter and developing a disease that is entirely preventable. The coal companies are monstrous and this disease only happens through the willful disregard for the safety of their workers. Just look how its plagued the families in this story for generations.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 20, 2018

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Squalid posted:

So has anyone else heard the long NPR investigation into the new black lung epidemic?

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/18/675253856/an-epidemic-is-killing-thousands-of-coal-miners-regulators-could-have-stopped-it

[quote]
It's a familiar tale across Appalachia. Two hours north and east, beyond twisting mountain roads, Danny Smith revved up a lawn mower. He wore jeans, a T-shirt and a white face mask stretching from eyes to chin, and he pushed only about 15 feet before he suddenly shut off the mower, bent to his knees and started hacking uncontrollably.

"Oh God," he gasped, as he spit up a crusty black substance with gray streaks, and then stared at the dead lung tissue staining the grass. Still coughing and breathing hard, Smith settled into a chair on his porch and clipped an oxygen tube to his nose.

After spending just 12 years underground, his lungs are so bad he faces what coal miners decades older and with decades more in mining have endured. His lung tissue is dying so fast, his respiratory therapist says, it just peels away.

"I'm terrified," Smith said, as he remembered his father's suffering when he was struggling with the same coal miner's disease.

"I sure don't want to go through what he went through. I seen a lot of guys that died of black lung and they all suffered like that."
[quote]

I remember being horrified and outraged learning about black lung when I read October Skies 15 years ago, a book that was set in the sixties. Decades later thousands of people are still being exposed to dangerous particulate matter and developing a disease that is entirely preventable. The coal companies are monstrous and this disease only happens through the willful disregard for the safety of their workers. Just look how its plagued the families in this story for generations.

Silicate exposure is a huge issue in a number of industries right now, not just coal mining.

Pretty much anything that involves sand or even fiber glass is gearing up for huge class action law suits.

It will probably end up with a asbestos style massive clusterfuck of lawsuits for a decade followed by a record breaking settlement.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Squalid posted:

[quote]

[quote]

yeah, i heard part of it a few days ago. the miner breaking down at the end knowing he was gonna die at like 46 is depressing as gently caress.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i heard part of it a few days ago. the miner breaking down at the end knowing he was gonna die at like 46 is depressing as gently caress.

And it's a sign of how lovely things are that these communities nevertheless desperately want coal mining jobs to come back en masse.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cythereal posted:

And it's a sign of how lovely things are that these communities nevertheless desperately want coal mining jobs to come back en masse.

yeah. its depressing gently caress. like i legit teared up listening/reading it. like we could genuinly help these people but they keep begging their abuser to come back over and over again because they think this time it will be different.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. its depressing gently caress. like i legit teared up listening/reading it. like we could genuinly help these people but they keep begging their abuser to come back over and over again because they think this time it will be different.

The craziest part is they all seemed to know about the risk too. I mean the same disease killed a lot of their parents and grandparents. Yet they still worked without proper safety equipment, in choking dust, and lied to healthcare providers out of fear they'd be fired if their illness came to light. It seems like everyone involved new exactly what was happening but nobody wanted to do anything, even when they were themselves dying.

Are American mines just uniquely and unavoidably dangerous? Or do miners still suffer the same problems in European and Australian mines? I don't even want to know what conditions are like in Chinese and Indian mines.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
We have a black lung problem going on in Australia at the moment.

Theoretically, there's testing done of everyone at risk at regular intervals. In reality, there were about three people in the entire country who were examining the X-rays, so most were never looked at and just marked as clear.

So, right now, we have thousands of miners who a few months ago thought they were fine now having no idea if they're going to be dead in a couple of years.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think these days the majority of Australian coal comes from open cut mines (it certainly does in NSW) where black lung rarely occurs.

It's absolutely a problem in the underground mines though.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Squalid posted:

The craziest part is they all seemed to know about the risk too. I mean the same disease killed a lot of their parents and grandparents. Yet they still worked without proper safety equipment, in choking dust, and lied to healthcare providers out of fear they'd be fired if their illness came to light. It seems like everyone involved new exactly what was happening but nobody wanted to do anything, even when they were themselves dying.

Are American mines just uniquely and unavoidably dangerous? Or do miners still suffer the same problems in European and Australian mines? I don't even want to know what conditions are like in Chinese and Indian mines.

some forms of mining are inherently more dangerous and i'm not sure that some mines would be profitable if they had the proper safety standards, which is something that many workers are willing to forego if it means high paying work

a big problem though is toxic masculinity and the idea that having a work ethnic means destroying your body to prove you're a man. like if you aren't doing physical labor then you're just a punk. this sounds like a totally cool and badass idea when you're in your early 20's but then when you're dying in early middle age or laid out with crippling back problems and an opiate habit it's way less cool. i know a guy who alternates between complaining and worrying about how his heavily physical job is causing him observable injury and wear when he's at a low point, and when he's at a high point he likes to chuckle about how productive and masculine he is unlike those sedentary effeminate white collar office workers. it's totally an identity thing

it's the same reason why people pick up substance habits in youth and you can see who drops it and who doesn't as they get older and mortality becomes more pressing. combine that with the masculinized protestant work ethic at the core of american blue collar identity and there you go

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 20, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

luxury handset posted:

mining is inherently dangerous and i'm not sure that some mines would be profitable if they had the proper safety standards

a big problem though is toxic masculinity and the idea that having a work ethnic means destroying your body to prove you're a man. like if you aren't doing physical labor then you're just a bitch. this sounds like a totally cool and badass idea when you're in your early 20's but then when you're dying in early middle age or laid out with crippling back problems and an opiate habit. it's way less cool. i know a guy who alternates between complaining and worrying about how his heavily physical job is causing him observable injury and wear when he's at a low point, and when he's at a high point he likes to chuckle about how productive and masculine he is unlike those sedentary effeminate white collar office workers. it's totally an identity thing

More importantly, this is a thing going on in towns founded for the sole purpose of mining coal. The coal mine is the only reason they exist. If the coal mine shuts down, the town's only big source of income and jobs, no matter how nasty the job, is gone.

Most of these towns have absolutely nothing else going for them. The area's not good for farming, businesses have no reason to be there, no one's going to build a factory there. Remove the coal mine from a coal mine town, and you have a poor town that's going to die between crushing poverty and everyone who can fleeing for a job elsewhere.

As hosed up as it is, coal mining is the only source of prosperity for most of these towns and the local culture's adjusted to match.

Rightly or wrongly, people in these towns tend to blame Democrats for shutting down the coal mines and vote Republican for the GOP's promises to bring back coal, because a working coal mine is the difference between a thriving (or at least surviving) coal mining town and a ghost town in the making.

If you want to go back to the example of the movie October Sky, it was honest about how a West Virginia coal mine town works: the town's fortunes are directly tied to the mine. If the mine dies, so does the town.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think these days the majority of Australian coal comes from open cut mines (it certainly does in NSW) where black lung rarely occurs.

It's absolutely a problem in the underground mines though.

So I had assumed this too, but a lot of the people described in this program were working surface mines. Most American mining now occurs at the surface. It's possible large surface mines can even put workers at greater risk, since they may involve the removal of large volumes of silica rich overburden which present an extremely severe hazard.

https://www.npr.org/2012/07/09/156377872/surface-coal-miners-at-risk-for-black-lung

quote:

The most surprising finding involved those miners who never worked underground.

"We identified coal workers' pneumoconiosis and severe pneumoconiosis in surface miners who reported no years of underground mining in their tenure," Halldin says.

Dust 'Comes Up Through The Floorboards'

Most of those with black lung are from the same region in Appalachia where the increase in the disease in underground miners is most pronounced. That suggests that a possible cause may be exposure to silica. Surface mines in the region include coal seams laced with silica-laden rock.

"These findings suggest that current federal permissible dust exposure limits might be insufficient to protect against disease or are not being adequately controlled to prevent excess dust exposure," the study says.

Miners who have worked on the surface describe clouds of dust around mining and drilling machines, around coal trucks and along mine roadways.

"You breathe a lot of dust when you drive a coal truck, even inside," says Jim Harper, who hauled coal for three years before his retirement in 2010. Harper suspects he may have black lung and was tested recently at a clinic in Beckley, W.Va.

Coal dust "comes up through the floorboards and ... through the windows," he says.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 20, 2018

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1075490787360731138

Have we talked about the upcoming teacher strike in LA? LA Unified School District (LAUSD) is the second largest public school district in the nation after New York. It has been poo poo forever, it's the poster child of all of the "progressive" school changes of the decades. Private schools are huge business, shitton of magnet schools to concentrate the need for resources, Charter schools are loving huge, rich suburbs splitting off their school district and taking money away from everyone else, and big spending boondoggles that were filled with graft. The iPad poo poo was a huge failure especially since they getting ripped off and the poo poo barely worked. Classroom sizes are loving terrible, old textbooks, all of the classic poo poo.

Well the Teachers are committed to striking after Winter break ends on (January 7th), they'll walk out over funding for these issues. This will be their first strike in 30 YEARS or since 1989. We've seen how powerful these strikes have been in Red states recently, so it'll be interesting to see if this also has an effect on LA.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Squalid posted:

So I had assumed this too, but a lot of the people described in this program were working surface mines. Most American mining now occurs at the surface. It's possible large surface mines can even put workers at greater risk, since they may involve the removal of large volumes of silica rich overburden which present an extremely severe hazard.

https://www.npr.org/2012/07/09/156377872/surface-coal-miners-at-risk-for-black-lung

So the 30 CFR is the applicable regulation here (coal starts on page 452), and MSHA at least is very serious about silica-rich overburden because their standards for particulate silica in the air are way tighter than non-silicate particulates (it's worded as quartz in the regs but the definitions make it very clear they're just using that to say SiO2 particles). It's also very clear that it's up to the mine operator to make sure that the air is safe. So in principle the miners do have the recourse of calling up MSHA (who has almost certainly boiled down on some of these people now that there's very visible sick people) but in practice they of course aren't, because that'd very likely shut the mine down and none of them want that.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
E: whoops

Papercut fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 20, 2018

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Papercut posted:

I'm happy when I'm able to buy something that I think is very underpriced but also completely understand when I don't get a response and then see it relisted for its actual value. Expecting people to sell to you just because they made a pricing mistake is silly.

I guess I could see it being annoying if you see the same person doing it over and over again. The player base is too big for me to notice something like that though.

Um, huh?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think that derail was in the Schadenfreude thread, about flash sales on Steam.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Wrong thread sorry phone posting

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1075490787360731138

Have we talked about the upcoming teacher strike in LA? LA Unified School District (LAUSD) is the second largest public school district in the nation after New York. It has been poo poo forever, it's the poster child of all of the "progressive" school changes of the decades. Private schools are huge business, shitton of magnet schools to concentrate the need for resources, Charter schools are loving huge, rich suburbs splitting off their school district and taking money away from everyone else, and big spending boondoggles that were filled with graft. The iPad poo poo was a huge failure especially since they getting ripped off and the poo poo barely worked. Classroom sizes are loving terrible, old textbooks, all of the classic poo poo.

Well the Teachers are committed to striking after Winter break ends on (January 7th), they'll walk out over funding for these issues. This will be their first strike in 30 YEARS or since 1989. We've seen how powerful these strikes have been in Red states recently, so it'll be interesting to see if this also has an effect on LA.

I hope this works better than the ones in Oklahoma cause while things slightly improved it mostly just showed that no one in this state gives a poo poo about education (unsurprisingly) once the governor election happened.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Mr E posted:

I hope this works better than the ones in Oklahoma cause while things slightly improved it mostly just showed that no one in this state gives a poo poo about education (unsurprisingly) once the governor election happened.

I have a relative who works as a community organizer and he's heavily involved in the planning and organizing around the LA strikes. There's going to be a lot of infrastructure set up to support the material needs of the strike and students and parents, and they're already working to get the community involved. It won't be like OK in the sense that there is a much more developed and active leftist infrastructure under this ready to go.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
This is a "holy poo poo" level story. Multiple FinCEN employees are compromised/active Russian agents.

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1075810783957803008

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1075811788346806272

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1075811875470893056

quote:

Russia’s financial crimes agency, whose second-in-command is a former KGB officer and schoolmate of President Vladimir Putin, also asked the Americans for documents on executives from two prominent Jewish groups, the Anti-Defamation League and the National Council of Jewish Women, as well as Kremlin opponents living abroad in London and Kiev.

:stare:

quote:

Officials at FinCEN said they reported the use of the back channel to Treasury’s counterterrorism unit and security office, and requested an investigation. They said it was a breach of protocol and that it exposed the Treasury to potential hackers because the Russian messages contained attachments — a common way for intruders to worm inside an organization’s servers.

the Russians almost certainly planted worms/viruses/hacks etc. into the Treasury Dept's network as well, possibly to destroy any records of actions against Trump or other Russian interests. This is a huge story.

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 20, 2018

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Z. Autobahn posted:

Tell me more, noted real person name Z. Autobahn

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Its gonna be really loving weird when BuzzFeed gets its first Pulitzer

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

a government shutdown is officially happening

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1075819170846126082

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1075820248467689475

Oh man. Anyone overriding Trump's veto for any reason is all I want for Christmas.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

JasonV posted:

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1075820248467689475

Oh man. Anyone veoting Trump for any reason is all I want for Christmas.

problem is you need to bring the bill to the floor (and then the veto override to the floor) and i doubt ryan does that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

a government shutdown is officially happening

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1075819170846126082

Oh goddammmmmmjit

What a horrible waste, a christmas/ new year shutdown is just perfectly horrible