Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

AhhYes posted:

USPOL Winter: A thirsty desire to gently caress things up

mdemone posted:

Let's Run This Shut Into The Down

eke out posted:

UPSOL Winter: someone tell me I am wrong the world can't be this dumb

Someone code a randomizer for the thread title, this is getting absurd

EDIT: Wow, tax on the lurker huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

I think Tadeusz Jr was more animated than Eric

No joke, to this day I'll randomly remember it sometimes and feel really guilty

lol what the gently caress! I thought my grandparents were odd.

Tadeusz Jr lives in us all, you horror! :pray:

E- But seriously there might have been a medical reason for that. I'm this odd because of terrible genetic code! :cheeky:

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 20, 2018

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Petr posted:

Honestly, what political price could Republicans possibly face for a shutdown? The base doesn't care, and swing voters are way too stupid to take this into account two years from now. It didn't hurt them when they did it in 2013.

Causing a shutdown right before christmas which will likely affect people's travel will piss a lot of people off and allow for very good attack ads in 2020

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

skylined! posted:

Someone tell me I am wrong the world can’t be this dumb.

Bit of both I think

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/PaulaReidCBS/status/1075818153337348096

good summation

they apparently felt out how ethics review would go to the point that they learned "If we ask, they'll say he must recuse" and then promptly decided they were not interested in asking!

gonna be some great hearings in january about this

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Petr posted:

Honestly, what political price could Republicans possibly face for a shutdown? The base doesn't care, and swing voters are way too stupid to take this into account two years from now. It didn't hurt them when they did it in 2013.

The difficulty is that there's no possible way they win. A shutdown isn't gonna force Democrats to cave. All it'll do is start generating bad press for Republicans. Yes, people will probably forget by 2020 - but nobody is sure about that, and even if republicans are only lightly punching themselves in the nuts repeatedly eventually that builds up to permanent damage.

And then when they finally have to climb down after days/weeks/months of that dick-punching, they'll get nothing for it - and their base's anger at getting nothing for it will only remind people of it in 2020.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/mkraju/status/1075819002046353409

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

evilweasel posted:

apparently republican voters don't actually get that the 2018 elections went against them

https://twitter.com/amyewalter/status/1075804288310538240

it's legit sad that tens of millions of americans are totally and completely divorced from objective reality.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

wonder if it's too late to get backup amtrak tickets

wonder if amtrak will get hosed up by this too :ohdear:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Full Ryan quote:

https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1075819170846126082

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

paul ryan a useless piece of poo poo to the very end.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

STAFF: the president will not be making GBS threads himself
TRUMP: i am definitely making GBS threads myself

dow was down about 400 before this news but now we can prolly watch it fall in real time

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
The FAA doesn't really stop doing air traffic control do they? It seems like for every other shutdown they have been given an exception.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Now that's Paul Ryan's legacy right there.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

incidentally this is probably why the senate passed the CR on a voice vote - there are no recorded yea or nay votes

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

"Thank you sir, may I have another?"

What a spineless goddamn wuss.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Spun Dog posted:

I don't think you're as good at spotting jokes as you think.

Jokes are for communists and ugly chicks.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

marshmonkey posted:

The FAA doesn't really stop doing air traffic control do they? It seems like for every other shutdown they have been given an exception.

I would think they would be considered essential

They just wont get paid

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

marshmonkey posted:

No, FAA and TSA, etc. will all be performing their duties as "essential services".

However they won't be getting paid, and that's gonna go over really well at Christmas.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Brony Car posted:

Jokes are for communists and ugly chicks.

Hammer whale, sickle grail

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

marshmonkey posted:

This is going to be a very odd shutdown because lots of appropriation bills were passed. Lots of the government will remain open, and the parts that Democrats care most about are in there. Trump is shutting down DHS to protest border security.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

marshmonkey posted:

The vast majority of FAA's funding comes from excise taxes.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

marshmonkey posted:

Nah shutting down air traffic control would be insane, even by insane people standards. There are some governmental agencies that are essential, and not affected by a shutdown.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

KickerOfMice posted:

Nah shutting down air traffic control would be insane, even by insane people standards. There are some governmental agencies that are essential, and not affected by a shutdown.

yeah that'd like actively destroy the economy

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

evilweasel posted:

This is going to be a very odd shutdown because lots of appropriation bills were passed. Lots of the government will remain open, and the parts that Democrats care most about are in there. Trump is shutting down DHS to protest border security.

Wow, leave it to Trump to defund ICE and trigger the Libs in the process :v:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

these dudes would still be getting their six figure jobs after leaving congress if they were honest for once in their lives but they gotta be absolute garbage to the very last second.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

countdown to someone proclaiming it 8th-dimensional chess that trump already put the army down there to prevent against The Caravan

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

The Glumslinger posted:

I can only be so triggered.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Just like how they thought all of the polling was fake news hiding the Red Wave.

The brainworms are so strong they literally just ignore reality. This means they will never change course for future elections.

Good, good

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ryan is amazing, I can't believe he didn't even bother to count his votes for this bill :lol:

This man was hailed as a policy wonk! A Republican champion!

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
How much data do you think was deleted or altered at FinCEN?

This is really bad.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Grapplejack posted:

Ryan is amazing, I can't believe he didn't even bother to count his votes for this bill :lol:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/1075820983800487938

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

which bill?

i mean, the house could absolutely pass the CR and force Trump to actually veto it. they're just more scared of trump being mad at them than of shutting down the government

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Deleted very quickly.

https://twitter.com/itsashlyperez/status/1075482361918156800

Caros
May 14, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

Not like it would matter. If they pass the 5 billion dollar wall nonsense then the senate tells them to go suck a lemon. If they pass the clean Cr then the white house toddler throws his tantrum.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I'm glad that Paul Ryan gets one last debacle on his way out the door

Bye fucko :fuckoff:

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm glad that Paul Ryan gets one last debacle on his way out the door

Bye fucko :fuckoff:

Play him out to Rage Against the Machine! :v:

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Watching the government collapse in real time is cathartic as gently caress let me tell you.

Edit: ^Papa Roach would be more appropriate.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

eke out posted:

i'm still reading this story but it's HUGE

it's much more than just about Clinton - that's only a minor element of it. they describe multiple FinCEN people suspected of being compromised and huge security breaches

it's based on the whistleblower that gave them a ton of data and is indicted, but they now have multiple other fincen whistleblowers talking to them, describing an entire hosed up culture that no one has fixed despite repeated reports. and it goes back to the Obama admin, not just trump

I feel like I read these things on here and it's "HUGE!" but never see it hit the front pages of the papers (so it basically doesn't exist to most people)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Question: On the Motion for Attendance (Motion to Instruct the Sergeant at Arms to Request the Attendance of Absentee Senators )

Not Voting - 8
Burr (R-NC)
Corker (R-TN)
Crapo (R-ID)
Heller (R-NV)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Isakson (R-GA)
McCaskill (D-MO)
Tillis (R-NC)