Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Levitate posted:

I feel like I read these things on here and it's "HUGE!" but never see it hit the front pages of the papers (so it basically doesn't exist to most people)

the last really huge story Cormier and Leopold broke was about negotiations for Trump Tower Moscow extending into the campaign, and it never got picked up too much because no one could match their scoop for six months until Michael Cohen admitted it in a guilty plea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ague Proof posted:

Question: On the Motion for Attendance (Motion to Instruct the Sergeant at Arms to Request the Attendance of Absentee Senators )

Not Voting - 8
Burr (R-NC)
Corker (R-TN)
Crapo (R-ID)
Heller (R-NV)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Isakson (R-GA)
McCaskill (D-MO)
Tillis (R-NC)

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1075822033894817792

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1075821630780293121
https://twitter.com/bopinion/status/1075753698331115522

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the senate passing a bill they know the house won't like and going home so they "can't vote" on the house's counter-offer is a time-honored tradition and i'm glad to see that mitch hasn't destroyed all of those

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Gonna be a fun plane ride home (and possibly back) for some of these politicians.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Baby pitched a fit so we have to give baby what he wants.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

eke out posted:

this is bizarre, i don't even know what would explain this at this point

https://twitter.com/DelWilber/status/1075808047887540225

maybe whitaker realized that getting charged with obstruction will hurt his dreams of a federal judicial appointment

Yeah, I would strongly suspect that he's aware that, even if he wanted to, loving over the Mueller investigation is literally igniting whatever remains of his career on fire. At the end of the day Mueller was a former director of the FBI and an extremely well-respected one at that. Not to mention that he'd have to be unspeakably stupid to not see the writing on the wall that the FBI is conducting probably the most substantial counter-intel investigation/operation it has ever undertaken and I would be very surprised if he has heard literally nothing about some of the more egregious poo poo that the investigation has dug up.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

you know usually the WSJ is really good if you pretend their opinion/editorial side doesn't exist

but i feel like this might be an example of a decision from above that their reporter revealed too much

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1075822868108316672

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Trump heard one of his kids get mad about how pissed babies are at them for yesterday and now he wants to be strong on borders again.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Paul Ryan tried to incorporate a medicine ball into those dumb workout photos but he kept dropping the loving thing. What a useless poo poo.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

You don't have the votes you complete dumbass

As in they are literally not there to vote. Lol at this complete poo poo show on display

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I still can't believe how Paul loving Ryan got tagged as the house speaker, policy wonk, and "cool guy" by the media and poo poo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Levitate posted:

I still can't believe how Paul loving Ryan got tagged as the house speaker, policy wonk, and "cool guy" by the media and poo poo

He got tagged as house speaker because literally no one else wanted it and he had to be convinced to take it. The other two are just PR.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol this is great.

Remember last week when Trump literally said on national TV that he’ll take ownership of any shutdown? Lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eke out posted:

this is bizarre, i don't even know what would explain this at this point

https://twitter.com/DelWilber/status/1075808047887540225

maybe whitaker realized that getting charged with obstruction will hurt his dreams of a federal judicial appointment

my guess is whitaker can't recuse himself without pissing off trump (and ending his chance at any other trump appointment), but has enough DOJ experience to know he doesn't want to be in mueller's crosshairs. not recusing, but delegating all authority to Rosenstein behind the scenes is a surprisingly elegant way to thread that needle

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Surprised Paul Ryan didn’t just tell trump the wall is being crowdfunded.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1075811745455730688?s=21

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Levitate posted:

"Cool", "young", and "smart" are extremely relative where republicans are concerned

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Paul Ryan is going to get his best people working on this thing, there will be "Build the wall" penciled on a napkin and delivered to Mitch before the close of business.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

He got tagged as house speaker because literally no one else wanted it and he had to be convinced to take it. The other two are just PR.

As to the latter part, he's about as cool of a guy as republican voters can handle.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

evilweasel posted:

my guess is whitaker can't recuse himself without pissing off trump (and ending his chance at any other trump appointment), but has enough DOJ experience to know he doesn't want to be in mueller's crosshairs. not recusing, but delegating all authority to Rosenstein behind the scenes is a surprisingly elegant way to thread that needle

Surprised? Have you seen his surprisingly elegant monster dong toilets?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Levitate posted:

there is a profound, desperate thirst by technocratic liberals for someone, anyone, they can tell themselves is a Reasonable Conservative.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Levitate posted:

They had to beg him to be speaker after Kevin McCarthy got caught saying the quiet part loud about benghazi.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

this all said it seems like Trump is basically loving over Ryan/the rest of the Republicans. He said he'd sign a CR, everyone moved in that direction, then Fox News threw a poo poo fit and Trump got mad that people were on his case about it and so he changed his mind because he's a dumb gently caress

Can't wait to see how the Democratic Party lets this get spun as their fault

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
So just to be sure I've got this straight:

- The White house said this week that they'd sign a clean CR
- The Senate passes clean CR
- House assumes they have the votes for this
- Trump watches Fox be mad about no wall funding, decides not to sign
- The House maybe (probably) doesn't have the votes for anything Trump would sign
- That doesn't matter because anything Trump would sign won't pass the Senate
- Even THAT doesn't matter because half the GOP Senators are already gone
- The shutdown will impact only portions of the government, one of which is DHS and therefore ICE.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

This is the stupidest poo poo, and yet this is the only way that this could end up. Of course he was going to throw a tantrum the day before the deadline and whine about it. Of course Ryan was going to meekly acquiesce on his way out the door. Of course.

We're going to be shut down until the new Congress gets sworn in, won't we?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

skylined! posted:

Surprised Paul Ryan didn’t just tell trump the wall is being crowdfunded.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1075811745455730688?s=21

They are going to run off with so much money. I can only wonder what excuses they'll come up with to not give it back.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Levitate posted:

this all said it seems like Trump is basically loving over Ryan/the rest of the Republicans. He said he'd sign a CR, everyone moved in that direction, then Fox News threw a poo poo fit and Trump got mad that people were on his case about it and so he changed his mind because he's a dumb gently caress

Can't wait to see how the Democratic Party lets this get spun as their fault

reminder: the democrats got trump to admit on national television that this was entirely his fault

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

oh god that so beautiful. they are so hosed, its not even funny. gently caress you ryan. go back to your underwater dystopia and eat poo poo.

evilweasel posted:

that seems to be about right. whitaker is monster but he seems smart enough to know how hosed he would be. i am more worried about Barr.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

there is a profound, desperate thirst by technocratic liberals for someone, anyone, they can tell themselves is a Reasonable Conservative.

I don't think even the most wishy washy liberals bought into the Paul Ryan bullshit. At least, outside of reporters and people who write headlines. There was maybe a 1 month period where he wasn't a complete joke and people thought he might not be a complete loving idiot

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

NewMars posted:

They are going to run off with so much money. I can only wonder what excuses they'll come up with to not give it back.

All they have to do is say they sent the money to Trump, all their donors will believe them immediately.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Teddybear posted:

This is the stupidest poo poo, and yet this is the only way that this could end up. Of course he was going to throw a tantrum the day before the deadline and whine about it. Of course Ryan was going to meekly acquiesce on his way out the door. Of course.

He did telegraph it back at the Chuck and Nancy meeting. Homie likes his drama.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Spun Dog posted:

How much data do you think was deleted or altered at FinCEN?

This is really bad.

Seems like a huge clusterfuck. Jeez

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

evilweasel posted:

Isn't that going to blow up in his face when Trump realizes 'his guy' isn't doing what he wanted and axes him?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Levitate posted:

I don't think even the most wishy washy liberals bought into the Paul Ryan bullshit. At least, outside of reporters and people who write headlines. There was maybe a 1 month period where he wasn't a complete joke and people thought he might not be a complete loving idiot

reporters are usually on a deadline and the sort of reporters who are reporting on paul ryan's bullshit aren't given the time (and are probably not the sort of people inclined to) comb through his stuff with a calculator to find the parts that are magic nonsense, instead of reporting both sides and filing it

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TulliusCicero posted:

You don't have the votes you complete dumbass

As in they are literally not there to vote. Lol at this complete poo poo show on display

Paul is a dumbass but this is him trying to go "not it." He's too late but he's not trying to actually get this done.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1075825800241401861

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cabbit posted:

Isn't that going to blow up in his face when Trump realizes 'his guy' isn't doing what he wanted and axes him?

trump is a coward and my guess is kelly won't fire him.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cochise posted:

Seems like a huge clusterfuck. Jeez

A dude from Ukraine, who hadn't gotten a security clearance. Jesus loving christ.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Will it affect tsa? Because what a moment for tsa to be affected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Teddybear posted:

Hell of a holiday for all those government workers!

evilweasel posted:

reminder: the democrats got trump to admit on national television that this was entirely his fault

That's true but that's also not going to stop Trump and the right wing media from spinning it as hard as they can in terms of "the Dems forced Trump to take a stand and shut down the government therefor it's their fault and all this wouldn't happen if they'd just give Trump whatever he wants and therefor Dems bad" and the rest of the media kind of going along with it