Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Away all Goats posted:

No, it's recommended you build even just a corridor with a hatch so you can build storage lockers right away. There's even a couple thermal vents around for lategame power gen

Thermal Vents in the shallows pretty much cement the best starter-base locations. Why deal with finite resources when you can go from solar to thermal with almost zero effort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Are there any mods that give you a map? I keep getting lost in areas I've already been to, even though I've done like three complete runs.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/12

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I keep reading posts that mention thermal power for bases but I didn't even consider that and went to nuclear once I had too much stuff to power with solar.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Nuclear is better anyway, it’s incredibly long lasting and you don’t have to deal with accidentally scalding yourself every time you do stuff outside

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Frog Act posted:

Nuclear is better anyway, it’s incredibly long lasting and you don’t have to deal with accidentally scalding yourself every time you do stuff outside

Eh, it’s maybe just while you’re trying to place the thermal plants. Power relays have enormous range so long as they have a clear line of sight. I usually have a small thermal farm about 1-200 meters away from the actual base on about 2-3 relays.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

gently caress yes, it managed to save all my progress before I crashed. I was in the process of learning the hard way that you shouldn't build a base right up on the sandbar next to the wreckage of the Aurora, lest it be shook apart.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Didn't know Subnautica had a Nexus, neat.

Pity there's no base teleporter mod, though.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

:coffeepal:

Nothin' like a hot cuppa joe after a good wreck dive. Now I just gotta go hit more big wrecks for moonpool and large room components, and then I'll be cookin' with gas.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Large room components? The big multipurpose room?

Have you gone to the floating island or the Jellyshroom caves yet?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Thinking of coming back to this game after beating it a few months ago. Any suggestions for keeping it fresh this time around? I'm thinking of doing more than one base this time, maybe one near each portal. Anything else?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't know how much replayability this game has. You could just do stupid things instead like skyscrapers of glass with giant long aquariums inside filled with something stupid like baby reefbacks.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Viridiant posted:

Thinking of coming back to this game after beating it a few months ago. Any suggestions for keeping it fresh this time around? I'm thinking of doing more than one base this time, maybe one near each portal. Anything else?
I was fond of absurd deep dives without a seamoth down to 300-400m on the regular for my early game. "Hmm, I need some blood oil. I CAN MAKE IT!"

Spare base locations based around the spoiler, I'd have at LEAST an outpost by Mountain island. That has strong anti-backtracking potential for a "gently caress the Cyclops, Prawn all the way" run if you forgot certain things.

As for nuke power, I think most people ignoring it now that it's actually decent outside of "But I don't need to refill thermals!", are just having flashbacks to when each reactor rod only had 1,000 energy and provided "One power per second".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 20, 2018

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Waffle House posted:

:coffeepal:

Nothin' like a hot cuppa joe after a good wreck dive. Now I just gotta go hit more big wrecks for moonpool and large room components, and then I'll be cookin' with gas.

It's decaf

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

WarpedNaba posted:

It's decaf

It’s Italian-American!

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I built my one and only base directly under the starting escape pod and I regret nothing.

Edit: Realized that if I put my base somewhere else it might have been attacked and damaged? I like'd the spectacle of being in a flooding base scrambling to fix things and I think it would be interesting to see that happen naturally in gameplay, rather than cause I just rammed my sub into the base several times to see the flooding.

Wrr fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 20, 2018

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The best base is in the grassy plateau because the reefbacks calls are just so bassy and soothing.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

That's a pretty efficient fish blender

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

It would be cool if the cyclops had an autopilot function of some sort so that I can set the computer to travel me somewhere while I tinker around in the hold doing whatever needs doing.

Imagine working on the engine when you hear the screws wind down and the computer announce that you've arrived at your destination. That'd be cool.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Vadun posted:

That's a pretty efficient fish blender

You can put mushrooms into it, you monster! :stare:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The best base is to use this mod and live out of your Cyclops.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

If I just finished exploring the aurora and built the prawn what should I be aiming to do next?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

If I just finished exploring the aurora and built the prawn what should I be aiming to do next?

the answer is invariably 'look for somewhere deeper to go'

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, all the best stuff is hidden down in the danky depths. The SOS messages you get from all the destroyed lifepods are really the only hand-holding the game gives you, because they're usually next to useful wrecks to scan for fragments, but some of the logs of the Degrassi Survivors happen to point you to stuff you can do even later on.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Wrr posted:

I built my one and only base directly under the starting escape pod and I regret nothing.

Edit: Realized that if I put my base somewhere else it might have been attacked and damaged? I like'd the spectacle of being in a flooding base scrambling to fix things and I think it would be interesting to see that happen naturally in gameplay, rather than cause I just rammed my sub into the base several times to see the flooding.
I'm building multiple bases with a solid hub. First time i've ever done that in a survival game because grinding isn't that bad so I don't mind using up some resources and beacons make finding them super easy

And yeah, I once came home to a base full of water without power. Had to keep running out of my base to get air in the moth. Eventually the water lowered to about my knees and it took me a minute to find the last crack. Still have no idea what did it.

Wrr posted:

It would be cool if the cyclops had an autopilot function of some sort so that I can set the computer to travel me somewhere while I tinker around in the hold doing whatever needs doing.

Imagine working on the engine when you hear the screws wind down and the computer announce that you've arrived at your destination. That'd be cool.
This. I'm treating the Clops like a shuttle bus, it's not for exploration. I do love the visual controls being tethered to the actual cockpit and not your helmet. Feels cool to have to actually turn my head to look for what I need. As grognard as actually tapping codes in is looking up and manually toggling the controls is pretty neat.

I do wish things were a liiiittle more apparent, it can be hard to notice interactive objects and things and some thing LOOK significant but don't seem to be (dark gray wall hatches, do you hold secret?)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Section Z posted:

As for nuke power, I think most people ignoring it now that it's actually decent outside of "But I don't need to refill thermals!", are just having flashbacks to when each reactor rod only had 1,000 energy and provided "One power per second".

Ouch, that would have sucked. I only started play a month or two ago and put all 4 rods in my reactor and never saw any used up. I was kind of looking forward to having to put a radiation suit on and maybe find a quiet place to dispose of the old rods but none of that eventuated, and I assume it's not in the game anyway. Might have been fun if the radiation caused local mutations to the sea life.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

You didn't scan the nuclear waste bins?

edit: Should be put https://subnauticamap.io/ on the intro post?

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 21, 2018

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Two things that would help me enjoy this more would be if the fabricator applied to your inventory universally and if there was a way to set a checklist of things you need to build X that you can refer to without having to check the blueprints each time. Give me those and I could chill with this for hours.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

snoremac posted:

Two things that would help me enjoy this more would be if the fabricator applied to your inventory universally and if there was a way to set a checklist of things you need to build X that you can refer to without having to check the blueprints each time. Give me those and I could chill with this for hours.

EasyCraft lets fabricators use resources from inventories on your base or Cyclops, and AutosortLockers provides a non-tedious way to manage said inventories.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Or instead of building incremental stages, just tell me the raw materials in the whole tree.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

GotLag posted:

EasyCraft lets fabricators use resources from inventories on your base or Cyclops, and AutosortLockers provides a non-tedious way to manage said inventories.
Thank you

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have never used nuclear power in the game, I just assumed it would be a pain to constantly have to build fuel, so why bother when there is free unlimited power at thermal vents.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
When I first installed nuclear power I don't recall ever having to build more fuel for it ever again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I figured you don't need nuclear power if you have access to a vent or two, unless you're setting up a whole zoo.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

So on the PS4 version I just had the door to the Prawn Bay be unrepairable. So I guess I have to start over. Which makes me think, I wish the game would drop more equipment on you automatically. Like it does when the Aurora explodes. While the game was in Early Access on Xbox I never found any Prawn equipment either, so no grapple and especially no mining arm.

Like, maybe a computer which could be set up to “calculate” new equipment after a while? Anything but these things which forces me to start over :(

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Thermal power is a cheap and easy alternative to nuclear power if you have vents available, but you need multiple thermal generators to match the output of a nuclear plant (Nuclear plant outputs 4.16 units of power per second, thermal plant varies from 48 to 0.8 seconds per unit of power depending on where it's placed) and the actual generator itself is more expensive - a nuclear plant is just an advanced wiring kit, a plasteel ingot, and some lead while the thermal plants are a couple of magnetite chunks and an aerogel. Plus one thermal pod holds up to 250 power and the nuclear reactor holds up to 2500.

If you have access to a thermal vent and the appropriate materials the thermal plant is easy power once placed, but a nuclear reactor is more 'easy' to get going and once it's set you can pretty much forget it.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

There really isn’t much purpose to pipes right now, is there?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Waffle House posted:

There really isn’t much purpose to pipes right now, is there?
Mostly for fun gimmicks. It's a lot easier to set up these days, even if they are not as strong as previously.

Literally every section of pipe does not give you air anymore, so you need branch off points. But more importantly, devs stopped being stubborn and gave pipes inventory stacking, because previously every single individual pipe took up an inventory space. Making it now the only stacking inventory item in the game if I remember right.

It can be a nice touch if you want to be doing base construction and exterior garden setup, but don't want to drag a vehicle around to duck back into or swim back to your airlock regularly,

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Welp I just built my first cyclops, docked my seamoth in it and then proceded to drive out of game boundraies until I got rekd by a ghost leviathan.

Apparently the wreck is there still and I can go recover my vehicle mods at least.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

TheDon01 posted:

Welp I just built my first cyclops, docked my seamoth in it and then proceded to drive out of game boundraies until I got rekd by a ghost leviathan.

Apparently the wreck is there still and I can go recover my vehicle mods at least.

why would you do this without at least saving first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

So I got this last week because it was free and I powered through the story in a few marathon sessions and now I basically want to abandon my life and live alone a kilometer beneath an alien sea.