Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

and so they wait in terror for Mel to weigh in, for whatever side he takes proves the opponent right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

sorry offtopic but what is the story behind that gif i cant stop watching it

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

derp posted:

sorry offtopic but what is the story behind that gif i cant stop watching it
Its Marouane Fellaini during the Man Utd/Liverpool game last night massively miscalculating a shot on goal. The ball then flies off into the distance and accidentally knocks a steward off their chair.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

lmao

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Ras Het posted:

Pamuk is good. Tf is your deal. Did you read one of the extremely clunky translations by the Turkish guy

o i actually did it was just the version i found in a bin. i will give him a second chance cos i liked some of the ideas i was just constantly bored

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

potentially posted before or already familiar to you, here are nabokov's thoughts on various authors

quick & amusing read

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

he has some extremely wrong opinions on certain authors, like faulkner, mann, eliot and dostoyevsky. but his roasts of camus, sartre, freud and hemingway is pretty fun and good

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Oliver Reed posted:

potentially posted before or already familiar to you, here are nabokov's thoughts on various authors

quick & amusing read

This list is so infuriating, Nabokov would be at home in this thread. Also, formidable mediocrity is a splendid insult

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Extremely correct Tolstoy opinions.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I just love how he says "One of the greatest writers, one of my absolute favorites" only to follow that up with "all of their books, except one or two, suck ".

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Franchescanado posted:

I just love how he says "One of the greatest writers, one of my absolute favorites" only to follow that up with "all of their books, except one or two, suck ".
I really like the H. G. Wells entry.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"[R]hythmic urination is superb." -- Nabokov

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

With him on Conrad, that's for sure.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I'd also like to see Melville feeding a sardine to his cat

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Franchescanado posted:

Ulysses was that good tho

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Why is he so overly vituperative about poor Faulkner

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Nabokov would be at home in this thread.

quote:

Marx, Karl. Loathe him.
Nuh uh

Tomoe Goonzen
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

james mason gave nabokov a tie which said 'gently caress communism' on it

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
this holiday season, why not relax with a nice mug of hot cocoa and a big father brown collection?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Oliver Reed posted:

quick & amusing read

It's him. He's afraid of Virginia Woolf

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Nabokov was a good writer but should have been destroyed for his opposition to The Immortal Science of Marxism-Leninism

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I mean his family had to run away from the Bolsheviks of course he hates Marx, lol.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Tree Goat posted:

this holiday season, why not relax with a nice mug of hot cocoa and a big father brown collection?

nah my dude, im going to relax with some Baudelaire and maybe Flaubert b/c I need to stop putting off mme. bovary

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I'm going to finally reread Nana over christmas, this time in a complete modern translation that doesn't try to remove all sex from it

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

Just don't watch the TV adaptation, its proper poo poo.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

J_RBG posted:

Why is he so overly vituperative about poor Faulkner

i prefer faulkner by a mile but you can see how his localized, sclerotic time, place, prose, etc. etc. are in pretty stark contrast with nabukov's playful, floaty, kinda disgraced foreign aristocrat equivalents. and even though i think they aim for similar effects, faulkner's methods are so radically different and grimy and serious (even in their comedy) that of course nabukov is gonna hate it.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i.e. i think he thinks faulkner wasn't clever enough to write something like ulysses, rather than that maybe the sound and the fury or whatever was bit too clever (and literal) for nabukov.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Oliver Reed posted:

quick & amusing read

quote:

Carroll, Lewis. Have always been fond of him. One would like to have filmed his picnics.

Poe, Edgar Allan. A favorite between the ages of 10 and 15, but no longer. One would like to have filmed his wedding.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Foul Fowl posted:

i.e. i think he thinks faulkner wasn't clever enough to write something like ulysses, rather than that maybe the sound and the fury or whatever was bit too clever (and literal) for nabukov.

Nabokov seems incapable of merely disliking a book, though, there's something a bit dick-wavey about the whole 'this guy loving sucks poo poo and rear end, I loathe him with my entire being, he is a total dunce, this ape has ruined my life because of his prose'.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Foul Fowl posted:

nabukov
nabukov
The gently caress is this

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

Nabokov was a good writer but should have been destroyed for his opposition to The Immortal Science of Marxism-Leninism

Thank you.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Counting seconds til chernobyl kinsman comes at you with hAvE yoU NoT hEaRd oF tHe HoLoDOmoR

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ras Het posted:

Counting seconds til chernobyl kinsman comes at you with hAvE yoU NoT hEaRd oF tHe HoLoDOmoR

not to mention all those nuns what got beheaded by that Robespierre character

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The gently caress is this

oops i always make that mistake somehow

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
:frogc00l:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Na Na Nabokov
Critic of Georgy Ivanov

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Na Na Nabokov
Critic of Georgy Ivanov

:woop:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/BillClinton/status/1076196517797605376

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

what a boring list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

really disappointed he didn't include that bookk he cowrote with james patterson