Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Gologle posted:

Hey so what is Ultimecia's deal really? What do we know about her?
She a witch, but like, a real stupid one, who heard "someone from SeeD will kill her" and decided the best plan of defense was to compress all time to one point, thereby making literally every SeeD member in history potentially able to target her.

Alternatively she's Rinoa from the future who was driven mad with grief and power and wanted to go back to the one time Squall was around, but hosed up so bad that everyone had no choice but to kill her. This option is the better one, narratively speaking, so it's officially Not True.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I guess I just don't understand how Shao Kahn fits in with the Time Kompression part though

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I actually forgot about Kinoc. I forgot he goes off with the murder happy villain and outright calls that out, but still ends up dead right after anyway. Wonder if he knew that would happen.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

bobjr posted:

I actually forgot about Kinoc. I forgot he goes off with the murder happy villain and outright calls that out, but still ends up dead right after anyway. Wonder if he knew that would happen.
I'm replaying FFX and I just got through that scene. Seymour legit says he's going to give everyone the power of being dead but still just doing their own thing; on top of that, the grand maester's also dead at the time, and in the "kinoc dies" scene, there's like three other guards, like just nameless grunts, who are also dead and hanging out. Kinoc absolutely thought he was going to get to be a dead man walking, but the second he dies Seymour sends him and the three other guards just to fuckin throw down with Kimhari. It's great.

Also as a sidenote I remember FFX being harder than it is; even making the game more difficult for myself by refusing to use Auron or Tidus unless absolutely necessary (Kimhari's my 'sword main') it's been something of a cakewalk. Oh well, I just got to the calm lands; monster capturing and dark aeons are finally going to be open to me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's like maybe three tough bosses but outside of that is a cakewalk, except some of the ridiculous optional stuff.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Saint Freak posted:

I guess I just don't understand how Shao Kahn fits in with the Time Kompression part though
Obviously, he's running the Mortal Kombat tournament to find a warrior strong enough to challenge Ultimecia's rule and reclaim his control over Outworld, duh.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
oh man forget R=U I just learned the most mindblowing thing about FF8 from the Ultimania

Angelo is a girl dog

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oh man forget R=U I just learned the most mindblowing thing about FF8 from the Ultimania

Angelo is a girl dog

Angelo is a girl

Ultimecia is a girl

A=U

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Angelo is a girl dog

hosed up if true

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If Rinoa isn't Ultimecia then explain the Griever thing

You can't

R=U

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

precision posted:

If Rinoa isn't Ultimecia then explain the Griever thing

You can't

R=U
She plucked it directly from Squall's mind, it literally says that in-game if you Scan it, it says like "In Squall's mind, the strongest GF."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

She plucked it directly from Squall's mind, it literally says that in-game if you Scan it, it says like "In Squall's mind, the strongest GF."

but why

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm pretty sure Sin regenerates quickly after a Final Summoning, it just doesn't begin making attacks on human civilization for a certain period of time and that's the Calm. people know it's out there in the oceans like a dragon on old real world maps, but they get respite until it shows up again and summoners begin to make their pilgrimages again

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Because Ultimecia herself is a personification of all of Squall's worst qualities and insecurities from the start of the game.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The mobile versions of FF games and Chrono Trigger are on sale if you want to subject yourself to the mobile versions of those games.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Cattail Prophet posted:

Because Ultimecia herself is a personification of all of Squall's worst qualities and insecurities from the start of the game.

So, a girl you date in high school

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Technically Balamb is a school. Rinoa is a girl, who Squall dates, at said school.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Because FF8 is stupid as gently caress

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Rinoa repesents coming of age and Squall represents the inevitability of death. Ultimecia is meant to represent you, the player. All other characters represent the dangers of ignorance, except for Angelo who obviously is meant to show the struggles of the working class, and Doom Train which is the negative impacts of industrialization.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Saint Freak posted:

Rinoa repesents coming of age and Squall represents the inevitability of death. Ultimecia is meant to represent you, the player. All other characters represent the dangers of ignorance, except for Angelo who obviously is meant to show the struggles of the working class, and Doom Train which is the negative impacts of industrialization.

Having recently (slowly) started 8, I'm glad of this post so I can be aware of the deep story metaphors to watch for going in.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

selphie (selphie)

Italax
May 10, 2012

Part of the problem.

Oxxidation posted:

selphie (selphie)
Selphie represents how cool it is to ride trains and shoot things with a rocket launcher.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Um Laguna represents the futility of being a dad trying to maintain relevance in the modern day ok

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

what do the hot dogs represent

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Whalley posted:

Um Laguna represents the futility of being a dad trying to maintain relevance in the modern day ok

this doesn't make sense because laguna is a champ while squall is just a chump

Fister Roboto posted:

sometimes a hot dog is just a hot dog

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Whalley posted:

Also as a sidenote I remember FFX being harder than it is; even making the game more difficult for myself by refusing to use Auron or Tidus unless absolutely necessary (Kimhari's my 'sword main') it's been something of a cakewalk. Oh well, I just got to the calm lands; monster capturing and dark aeons are finally going to be open to me.

Playing it normally it's mostly not that hard but has a couple of huge difficulty spikes in the form of bosses who outright loving cheat the system like total fuckers, Seymour Flux and Yunalesca. They're both perfect storms of bullshit.
They both exploit the zombie status effect to use healing magic offensively against you. Zombie is a rare status effect only curable by one specific item. For Seymour you won't have any of these unless you read a guide and bought a bunch because nothing up to this point has inflicted it, and for Yunalesca she punishes you for curing it by deleting your entire party. This means that you're continuously eating deadly healing magic which cuts right through your Mdef and can't be dodged, and also you cannot heal reliably.
They also are both resistant to the standard Aeon Overdrive spam that will have carried most players through bosses up to this point. The game trains you to spam Aeon Overdrives because nothing prior to this can punish them. Using them gives the enemy like 4 or 5 turns in a row, but all the damage they output gets absorbed by the Aeon so in essence it's just a huge amount of free damage. Seymour and Yunalesca both have special attacks which brutalize Aeons, so trying this leads them to get 4 or so uninterrupted turns against your helpless party, which if you have not massively overleveled is invariably lethal.
They also both routinely dispel buffs on your party and are immune to/counter debuffs on themselves. In FFX buffs and debuffs are extremely useful, especially Slow and Haste, and players will have used them regularly in boss battles up to this point. But for Seymour and Yunalesca, they're a waste of time, because they cannot be slowed and will quickly dispel Haste off of your party(and Tidus, the Haste Guy, does not have nearly enough mp to continuously recast it especially when Yunalesca Osmoses him). Seymour also bypasses Reflect by bouncing spells off himself. They're immune to all the Breaks as well, which have also been a staple of boss battles as well as being the only thing Auron can do other than just hit people. And you basically need to have Auron in your party for this because at a standard level for this part of the game he's the only one who can tank the damage they put out, which is a problem because Auron is slow as gently caress, none of his abilities actually work in this fight and he misses half the time. Plus Yunalesca will confuse him and then he'll start oneshotting the other party members.

All this poo poo combines into 2 really brutal fights which happen pretty close to each other(and come with 10 minute unskippable cutscenes).

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Fister Roboto posted:

As Ultimecia wishes to compress time into a singularity, so does Zell desire meats compressed into one. From here, the parallels should be obvious.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Meat Kompression is my favorite fatality.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Relax Or DIE posted:

As Ultimecia wishes to compress time into a singularity, so does Zell desire meats compressed into one. From here, the parallels should be obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA ?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Why doesn't Zell eat Angelo

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Rinoa is Molly Ringwald from Pretty in Pink, and Seifer is Duckie.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

Why doesn't Zell eat Angelo

who's to say he didn't, and replaces ronia's dog with a close-enough facsimile every time

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Doom train is actually the dangers of meth.

Seymour and yuanlesca are actually good fights because they’re challenging and requires some thought beyond hit them with the strongest attack. The cutscenes can gently caress off, yeah.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

on some level I really like the seymour and yunalesca fights, they're really outside the box in terms of how they're designed and they're definitely extremely memorable, and the fact that they're tough means that you really do need to put thought into them which gives you an incentive to get deeper into FFX's really good combat system

on another, more prominent level, they can go gently caress themselves

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Ultimecia has a spell that says "find the thing this guy thinks is the most rad, and then make him fight it."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If cutscenes were skippable those fights would rule. Instead, gently caress those fights.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

cock hero flux posted:

on some level I really like the seymour and yunalesca fights, they're really outside the box in terms of how they're designed and they're definitely extremely memorable, and the fact that they're tough means that you really do need to put thought into them which gives you an incentive to get deeper into FFX's really good combat system

on another, more prominent level, they can go gently caress themselves

Those kinds of fights, for me, boil down to how things are telegraphed (and, of course, how easy it is to pick yourself up and try again. The cutscenes are an issue there). I like puzzles, but I don't like guessing games.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Rand Brittain posted:

Ultimecia has a spell that says "find the thing this guy thinks is the most rad, and then make him fight it."
there should be more villains like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Relin posted:

there should be more villains like that

And thus awesome mccooldude fought the worlds most dangerous sunglasses riding atop a skateboard