Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

I know my GP warned me, but I'm saying it anyway.
Gish Gallop.

Rugganovich fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

lmfao holy poo poo this is the funniest thing I could imagine. I love the idea of a boardroom full of shitbirds just like Roberts somewhere not only dictating things this entire process was meant to circumvent, but making money off things citizens just got pictures and back pats for

i am, quite literally, loling

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

tuo posted:

what the gently caress did they do all these years? They obviously didn't answer the call....

No, don't blame the devs, nor Chris, nor anyone within CIG. Star citizen can not fail, it can only be failed. This is all the backer's fault for not believing enough and pledging more.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

EvilMerlin posted:

Do as you will. Of course the project can fail. If it fails it does... and that will suck, but the world will go on.

But I think it will release and be an overall good game.

Nah man - don't agree to that poo poo. They'll use it to fall back on every time there is a lull in the FUD-machine.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Deadguy2322 posted:

Send them to me so I can collect on my expense claim this month!

Not responding to this specifically, but I wanted to seek a truce on our earlier shitposting. This is a banner day for SC comedy and folks of all political stripes should enjoy it. So apologies for earlier...and no, I'm not buzzing on gravol.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

ManofManyAliases posted:

Nah man - don't agree to that poo poo. They'll use it to fall back on every time there is a lull in the FUD-machine.

lol

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

How much free money did you give to the investors, commando

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

How do you feel about the recent Star Citizen happenings

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

Still alive! I was worried!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so this means the game is actually gonna come out in 2021 after the board votes out roberts in late 2020? I'll buy it if it plays out like freelancer, heck

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
:piss: @ the last 7 pages

It's a War on Christmas miracle.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

So is the 436 million what the list of idiot whales is worth? What else do they have? Star Citizen's deep lore?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Citizens absolutely tripping over themselves to tell me how not-mad they are about all this. Please don't brigade them:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/a80k3b/lftc_cig_takes_outside_investment_releases/ec74ogm/?st=jpx3mpx8&sh=023a32dc

What if I just downvote all of the comments? Is that bridgegating?

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

:gary:

Store Citizer - r/starcitizen_refunds moderator calling a r/pcgaming moderator a dipshit on a different public forum

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
All this good news makes me want to brigade myself into unconsciousness!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

DapperDon posted:

What if I just downvote all of the comments? Is that bridgegating?

always upvote crazy

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

lmfao holy poo poo this is the funniest thing I could imagine. I love the idea of a boardroom full of shitbirds just like Roberts somewhere not only dictating things this entire process was meant to circumvent, but making money off things citizens just got pictures and back pats for

i am, quite literally, loling

This is worth a read; 2013, Roberts talking about looking for investors - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/20/chris-roberts-on-life-after-crowdfunding-games-vs-film/

Apparently it took him five years to find someone that wouldn't compromise his vision OR the time became right to swallow some pride and take the conditional cash.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

big nipples big life posted:

always upvote crazy

Okay, brb. Gotta change em all back now to upvotes.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

So is the 436 million what the list of idiot whales is worth? What else do they have? Star Citizen's deep lore?

A wage bill and expenses.

What was the 6 million tax credit secured against?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:lol:

quote:

Microsoft bought Rare for $375m in 2002
Rockstar San Diego/Angel Studios was bought for $47m the same year
EA bought Bioware and Pandemic for $775m in 2007
Tencent spent $400m for 93% of Riot in 2011
Sega bought Relic for $26.6m in 2013
Koch Media bought Volition for $23m in 2013
In return THQ Nordic bought Koch Media for $150m this year (including Deep Silver)
Paradox Interactive bought Harebrained Schemes for $7.5m
EA bought Respawn for $315m
Microsoft bought Mojang for $2.5 billion
Tencent acquired Supercell for $8.6 billion
EA bought Maxis for $125m in 1997
Sega bought Creative Assembly for an estimated $30m

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Crobberts: "Yah..uhm....eh....thanks for...uhm...saving the project and...uhm....can I stay in control?"

Investors looking at Vanduul-Human-Centipede ship concept art: "Who of these two controls the ship?"

Crobberts: "Uhm....the....ah....the front one....with his stick...."

Investors: "No, Mr. Roberts, you can't stay in control. You are now the guy in the back."

Crobberts, mumbling to himself: "drat you Ben and your stupid ship ideas...."

tuo fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 20, 2018

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
Well, look who couldn't wait to dive in to the freshly re-opened r/DS.

https://old.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/a812t9/all_kinds_of_interesting_breaking_news_so_much_so/ec78z56/

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
So Old Man Calder got his son a cowboy outfit for Christmas.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm genuinely surprised Creative Assembly was that cheap, they've made good games that were fairly successful for years and did before sega's purchase I thought

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Nah man - don't agree to that poo poo. They'll use it to fall back on every time there is a lull :lol: in the FUD-machine.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

DapperDon posted:

Okay, brb. Gotta change em all back now to upvotes.

But that is still brigading!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Dooguk posted:

What kind of ship does $50 millo get you

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quote the poo poo out of this

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Sarsapariller posted:

What kind of ship does $50 millo get you

Receivership.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Frog Act posted:

I'm genuinely surprised Creative Assembly was that cheap, they've made good games that were fairly successful for years and did before sega's purchase I thought

so many of those are good or at least decent devs and CIG was valued at 430 million by these investors?

:lol: this is extremely

Deadguy2322 posted:

Receivership.

:drat:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

the archer is strong with this one

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dooguk posted:

Ba-dum *tsch*

Frog Act posted:

They were actually niche as gently caress and every other game was a disaster on launch. They're effectively surviving their Rome II adventure with GW money.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I always wanted my Tau suits mixed with Battletech. Where do I pledge?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Deadguy2322 posted:

Receivership.

:trumppop:

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

The financials are released! Activate the Star Citizen Defense Squad command center, DEFCON 1, this is not a drill!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

tuo posted:

the archer is strong with this one

That's weird, I guess they're selling mech suits now- wait why do those look familiar, it feels like something is launching in a few days-

lol

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is it good to know that backers will have to keep funneling money to CIG via ship sales while someone else who ponied up even more than Miku did get's to reap 10% from each ship sale?

Some people over on /r/sc raised concerns about things like at least 2-3 more years before even beta for SQ42, and that doesn't even consider the release timeline for SC, but its ok, their attention was deflected with some positively stupid points and so all is ok and this is all good for Star Citizen.

Also they think that despite being tight for cash, this money is going to go towards marketing AND building the company up (because if your burn rate is already higher than your income then the obvious thing to do is grow your company more!).

Some are dreaming that SQ42 will sell anywhere between 5 and 20 million copies if the game is marketed right and if its a good game. Well, that's two ifs, and a third is are there actually so many people out there that would actually be interested in this, even if its a decent game. Possibly?

Personally, assuming they make it to release within the next 3-4 years for SQ42, it will largely depend on the reviews.... there again, a few million in the bank can buy a whole lot of positive reviews. Once the suckers have bought it, its cash in the bank anyway.... well, except for pesky european laws which mean no matter how tight your TOS is, you're still entitled to refunds within a certain amount of time.

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 20, 2018

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Agony Aunt posted:

Is it good to know that backers will have to keep funneling money to CIG via ship sales while someone else who ponied up even more than Miku did get's to reap 10% from each ship sale?

Some people over on /r/sc raised concerns about things like at least 2-3 more years before even beta for SQ42, and that doesn't even consider the release timeline for SC, but its ok, their attention was deflected with some positively stupid points and so all is ok and this is all good for Star Citizen.

It's absolutely amazing to me that Citizens went straight to the barricades and not a single loving one of them asked "Wait, what are they getting out of it?" As if people just give 50 million to an idiot thumb every other day.

They are absolutely treating your pledges as income you loving dinks

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

"He never said he wouldn't take a cut of profits from the pointlessly-huge ship prices!" Says EvilMerlin's ghost, speaking to me via brain worms

"It's totally fine if the investors get a 100 dollar cut of every Idris sale, they deserve it for their support"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Sarsapariller posted:

It's absolutely amazing to me that Citizens went straight to the barricades and not a single loving one of them asked "Wait, what are they getting out of it?" As if people just give 50 million to an idiot thumb every other day.

They are absolutely treating your pledges as income you loving dinks

The financial statements made that clear to anyone who isn’t defective, but, well, you know...