Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Some Numbers posted:

There has not be a super wide release and the MSRP is $150+, but the game is the best dungeon crawler I’ve played.

My group has been playing it for a year and we STILL have locked content.

As an owner of both Gloomhaven and Imperial Assault I don't think they're really in the same niche. Gloomhaven needs a dedicated group and a long campaign, and the gameplay is it's own card-based take on tactical combat (which is fantastic). The amount of content is insane and you have that legacy thing of finding places on the campaign map and unlocking stuff.

Imperial Assault is a dice-chuckin' dungeon-crawler that iterates and improves on Descent 2.0, and is great value in the sense it's multiple games in one -- a 1 vs many campaign game, a solo or co-op vs AI game using the app, or a competitive skirmish game. It lacks the campaign depth of Gloomhaven but offers a lot of gameplay variety without having to commit too much to it, so it's easy to get to the table.

I can see going with just one or the other if you're not much of a dungeon-crawly person, but IMHO the games are different enough offerings that they both have a place in my collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I would literally never choose to play Descent or ImpAss over Gloomhaven these days.

They don't occupy identical niches, sure (ImpAss and Descent need a little less prep time and have shorted campaigns) but Gloomhaven is light years better in design, and can be playd as a short easy campaign if you want it to be.

I'd love to see a descent/impass-weight version of GH though - with maybe 5 levels, 10 scenarios per campaign, that sort of animal. And a scifi GH wouldn't go amiss either.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

ConfusedUs posted:

Kylo crew keeps Dormitz relevant after the fight. Collision Detector allows you to make unexpected moves and guarantee his attacks.

Advanced Optics on Midnight allows you to make the most of his piddly 2-dice attacks, especially once Fanatical kicks in. If you have a focus, you get 2 hits on anything that's not double blanks.

Also note that Hyperspace Tracking Data allows you to choose an initiative between 0 and 6, and place at that initiative. That means the highest init you can place at is 5. A bid is pretty important if you want to get the drop on other i5s!

Thanks, I'll probably go with something like this. What's the go-to crit to grab with ISYTDS now?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

LanceKing2200 posted:

Thanks, I'll probably go with something like this. What's the go-to crit to grab with ISYTDS now?

Panicked and Blinded are the two best generally, depends on the ships. Panicked won't do much if they have stress removal or Prime Thrusters for example.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Gate posted:

Panicked and Blinded are the two best generally, depends on the ships. Panicked won't do much if they have stress removal or Prime Thrusters for example.

Agreed, and it depends on the situation.

Panicked stops them from getting an action the next round, but doesn't stop them from using their tokens on the current round if they have any.
Blinded stops them from modifying their offense until they clear it. It's at its best when it can be applied at high PS before the enemy attacks, as it basically neuters their offense for two rounds: the current one (can't use the tokens they already have) and the next (have to spend their action to clear the crit).

I find that Blinded saves your rear end if you're in a bad spot (they have to roll natties to hurt you), and Panicked tends to result in a dead enemy ship the next round.

Ships with Force are fairly resilient to both.

I'm so incredibly glad there's no OP pilot crit like there was in first edition.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yup pretty much. Even stunned pilot or whatever it is that does damage when you overlap obstacles could be the right call in a corner case. Some ships can just YOLO right through obstacles and punishing them for that is pretty good.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Panicked is by far the worst for my money. Two stress NOW is an absolute killer, especially on a ship that stresses itself of which there are a bunch, or a ship with Supernatural or Advanced Sensors etc.

Stunned is pretty low return because unless the guy that can just ignore them happens to be in a position where they have to go over one next round, they can usually just... avoid them. Unless they forget the crit.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Gate posted:

Yup pretty much. Even stunned pilot or whatever it is that does damage when you overlap obstacles could be the right call in a corner case. Some ships can just YOLO right through obstacles and punishing them for that is pretty good.

My favorite thing with 2nd edition Stunned Pilot is that Dash is no longer immune to it now that "ignore obstacles" has been clarified to mean "ignore the effects of obstacles."

Dash wouldn't roll for damage or lose an action or anything, but the obstacle still exists and he still overlapped it. Outrider triggers to shed a red token and Stunned Pilot triggers to give him a damage.

Same goes for mining guild TIEs now that I think about it. And lol Vulture Droids are gonna hate that crit.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

My favorite thing with 2nd edition Stunned Pilot is that Dash is no longer immune to it now that "ignore obstacles" has been clarified to mean "ignore the effects of obstacles."

Dash wouldn't roll for damage or lose an action or anything, but the obstacle still exists and he still overlapped it. Outrider triggers to shed a red token and Stunned Pilot triggers to give him a damage.

Same goes for mining guild TIEs now that I think about it. And lol Vulture Droids are gonna hate that crit.

Yup. Vulture Droids are a weird side case because once they're glommed on they never actually execute manoeuvres if the current best reading of the title is correct. They skip the whole step.

Dash never ignored Stunned Pilot in 1e, either.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I think it's really cool we can talk about prequel starfighters now without it being because of some pants on head stupid homebrew bunnyofdoom has discovered.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Probably a dumb question but I just want to clarify-- can Dash attack or take non-movement actions while overlapping an obstacle? The card says "while moving," so I assumed it only means during the activation and actions that include movement, so you can't fire or take a focus or lock while overlapping but at my FLGS we couldn't come to a definitive answer.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TremorX posted:

Probably a dumb question but I just want to clarify-- can Dash attack or take non-movement actions while overlapping an obstacle? The card says "while moving," so I assumed it only means during the activation and actions that include movement, so you can't fire or take a focus or lock while overlapping but at my FLGS we couldn't come to a definitive answer.

Basically if he's moving (a maneuver, boost, or barrel roll) he doesn't suffer the effects of hitting the obstacle. "The effects" include stuff like rolling for damage, skipping the perform action step, getting stress from debris, etc.

The effects of the obstacle still apply any time he's not moving, like being unable to shoot if on an asteroid during the engagement phase.

Any other effect (like Outrider or Stunned Pilot crit) that triggers on the existence of the obstacle still triggers. The obstacle still exists, and he still overlapped it, he just doesn't suffer the effects.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

OK, so he can still take non-movement actions, just not attack. That's how we were playing it but I wasn't 100% sure and wanted to clarify that before we have a tournament.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

AndyElusive posted:

I think it's really cool we can talk about prequel starfighters now without it being because of some pants on head stupid homebrew bunnyofdoom has discovered.

I agree.

The problem is that prequel ships were such a rich deep vein, all I can really find now is like Uglies, and stupid HOTAC homebrew poo poo or Overplayed jokey poo poo like this

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TremorX posted:

OK, so he can still take non-movement actions, just not attack. That's how we were playing it but I wasn't 100% sure and wanted to clarify that before we have a tournament.

Anyone can take actions while overlapping an obstacle. There are only a couple of restrictions:

1) Hitting an asteroid causes you to skip the Perform Action step of the maneuver. If you get an action some other way, like via a coordinate, you can still do it.
2) Hitting debris gives you stress prior to the Perform Action step. If you can take an action before you get that stress, or if you can take actions while stressed, you can still do it.
3) Anyone can barrel roll or boost off an obstacle so long as both of the following are true: the final position does not overlap the obstacle, and the template used for the action does not overlap the obstacle. And some ships (like Dash or anything with Collision Detector) can ignore the rocks and do it anyway.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Thanks, that clarifies it a lot!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ConfusedUs posted:

Anyone can take actions while overlapping an obstacle. There are only a couple of restrictions:

1) Hitting an asteroid causes you to skip the Perform Action step of the maneuver. If you get an action some other way, like via a coordinate, you can still do it.
2) Hitting debris gives you stress prior to the Perform Action step. If you can take an action before you get that stress, or if you can take actions while stressed, you can still do it.
3) Anyone can barrel roll or boost off an obstacle so long as both of the following are true: the final position does not overlap the obstacle, and the template used for the action does not overlap the obstacle. And some ships (like Dash or anything with Collision Detector) can ignore the rocks and do it anyway.

This. It's importantly to remember that there's essentially three different states you need to think about :
1) As part of my maneuver, did my maneuver template or ship base overlap this obstacle at some point?
If it did, you roll an attack die, suffer results based on the obstacle type, and either skip action or take a stress, depending on obstacle type.

2) Did I boost, barrel roll, get tractor beamed, or otherwise 'move' such that my ship base or maneuver template overlapped the obstacle?
If yes, you roll the attack die, suffer per type of obstacle, and gain a stress token for a debris field. Note the difference.

3) I'd like to shoot something. Is my ship template currently overlapping an asteroid?
If yes, you don't get to shoot.

The other important thing that I've seen people not realize is that this happens EVERY TIME you touch the ship. You might suffer flying onto an obstacle in turn 2, and suffer flying off of it in turn 3.

Oh, and watch your fail states. If your front half is on the asteroid, don't coordinate a boost action to that ship, because a boost action fails if any part of the template overlaps an obstacle. If the front half of your ship is off of the asteroid, but the back half is on, boost away. Similarly, if the left half of your ship is on the asteroid, but the right half is clear, you can barrel roll right, but not left.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

TremorX posted:

Thanks, that clarifies it a lot!

If he's sitting on an asteroid in the engagement phase he can't shoot. Debris doesn't stop attacks though, so often Dash wants to have those arrive instead.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Dash doing white 4Ks through debris or asteroids is a kick in the pants

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

Dash doing white 4Ks through debris or asteroids is a kick in the pants

Outrider is really good. I can't believe how many people were down on it when it was first spoiled. I was like, holy poo poo, his dial is 100% completely open and it's not just limited to clearing stress!

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

TheCenturion posted:

The other important thing that I've seen people not realize is that this happens EVERY TIME you touch the ship. You might suffer flying onto an obstacle in turn 2, and suffer flying off of it in turn 3.

drat, I guess I'd be one of those people. I've never played anyone that rolled or lost an action/took a stress when flying off of an obstacle they were already on. I'll start enforcing that, harsh as it is. I'm assuming it only matters if the template overlaps?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

TremorX posted:

drat, I guess I'd be one of those people. I've never played anyone that rolled or lost an action/took a stress when flying off of an obstacle they were already on. I'll start enforcing that, harsh as it is. I'm assuming it only matters if the template overlaps?

Yup! If the base is on the asteroid at the start, but the template is completely clear, they're fine. If any part of the template is on the rock though, bam.

One of the reasons tugboats suck so much to deal with. You get hit when you get tossed onto a rock, and hit again (usually) when you fly off, since they try and place you so your template will hit again.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TremorX posted:

Any round where the template or the ship's final position overlaps an obstacle, you suffer the effects of the obstacle.

So if you go over a rock enough so your front is hanging off the other end so there's no rock where the template goes, you won't suffer the effects.

But if you land on a rock and there's still more rock in front of you when you do the maneuver, you will.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

is new Rey Poe good?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rey and Poe is ok in Hyperspace format so far, and crap in Extended.

I’ve been having far more luck with Poe, Nien, Lulo.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I think going ultra-cheap Poe, Han with Rey, and an A-Wing has potential legs. 2 I6 pilots and then either a cheap pocket ace or coordinate A-Wing. Haven't tested it at all yet, but I probably will eventually.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Ended up going with a sort of hybrid version of my original list and the update ConfusedUs posted. I did pretty well, going 2-1 but you were 100% right, ions were useless and I found myself wishing I had collision detector. I'll never doubt your wisdom again.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Gate posted:

I think going ultra-cheap Poe, Han with Rey, and an A-Wing has potential legs. 2 I6 pilots and then either a cheap pocket ace or coordinate A-Wing. Haven't tested it at all yet, but I probably will eventually.

Buddy of mine was doing this, but with both i5 A-Wings with Prockets.

He won all of his games last night, including a game against of our best players (multiple national/worlds cuts) who was using a Wedge/Luke/Dutch Protorps list.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

LanceKing2200 posted:

Ended up going with a sort of hybrid version of my original list and the update ConfusedUs posted. I did pretty well, going 2-1 but you were 100% right, ions were useless and I found myself wishing I had collision detector. I'll never doubt your wisdom again.

Hey, I'm not always right. Doubt all you want. :)

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

ConfusedUs posted:

who was using a Wedge/Luke/Dutch Protorps list.

I mean, I think I've spotted the issue. :smug:

In all seriousness though, yeah, that list sounds pretty good, and I can see X-Wings having a really hard time against 3 faster ships with multiple arcs. Wedge is basically just an I6 torpedo, and that list is fast enough to negate that advantage. Dutch has to move first which weakens his usefulness dramatically on the first engagement, and then Luke's got an uphill battle even with how good he is.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

ConfusedUs posted:

Hey, I'm not always right. Doubt all you want. :)

I did find Kylo to be pretty useless. The force token is nice but I never had an opportunity to use his ability. The Upsilon has such a great slew of actions available anyway that I never really had a turn where ISYTDS was better than Jam or Coordinate. I'm gonna try Snoke out to see how he does.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

LanceKing2200 posted:

I did find Kylo to be pretty useless. The force token is nice but I never had an opportunity to use his ability. The Upsilon has such a great slew of actions available anyway that I never really had a turn where ISYTDS was better than Jam or Coordinate. I'm gonna try Snoke out to see how he does.

This doesn't surprise me at all. Kylo isn't the game-destroying jerkass he was in 1e, the worst he can do is double stress.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Buddy of mine was doing this, but with both i5 A-Wings with Prockets.

Is this the i5 A's and Poe, or the A's with Han?

You can fit the i5 A's and the i5 T70s into a single list, but I don't think 16 points is enough to kit them out properly. Here's where I'd start:

Nien Nunb (55)
Heroic (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Pattern Analyzer (5)

Ello Asty (56)
Heroic (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Tallissan Lintra (35)

L'ulo L'ampar (38)
Heroic (1)

Total: 192

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

canyonero posted:

Is this the i5 A's and Poe, or the A's with Han?

You can fit the i5 A's and the i5 T70s into a single list, but I don't think 16 points is enough to kit them out properly. Here's where I'd start:

Nien Nunb (55)
Heroic (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Pattern Analyzer (5)

Ello Asty (56)
Heroic (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Tallissan Lintra (35)

L'ulo L'ampar (38)
Heroic (1)

Total: 192

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Depends on what you mean by properly. You can grab EPT's on everyone and pattern analyzer on Nien, which is all you really need. Quantity is a quality all it's own and all that.

You can even do Poe, one I5 X-Wing, and both I5 X-Wings, and I think R4 on Poe. Really minimalistic, but 4 solid ships.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Is pattern analyser worth it on a tug? That 2 sloop or 1 reverse tractor seems pretty legit.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

hoiyes posted:

Is pattern analyser worth it on a tug? That 2 sloop or 1 reverse tractor seems pretty legit.

If you can avoid getting them dead in the opening, sure, the range control game is absolutely critical.

If you can get them engaged, it's amazing, if not, it's 5 points you just handed to your opponent. My best guess is it's a trap.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Just finished my set of fancy bases:

i've seen plenty of swivel mounts but i don't recall any telescoping ones. i hope it'll help avoid fiddling with pegs or taking off ships.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bistromatic posted:

i've seen plenty of swivel mounts but i don't recall any telescoping ones. i hope it'll help avoid fiddling with pegs or taking off ships.

You beautiful genius.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Those are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bistromatic posted:

:golfclap:

That's sick.

Expect to see hundreds of people asking about and/or just ripping your idea off and copping it as their own in the new year.