Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I'm glad Nick won; I think he played the best game. But I'm also kind of glad there was minimal talk of how million-dollar Mike White didn't need to/shouldn't win. Hopefully we're just beyond that at this point but I guess we won't know for sure until it actually comes up in a future season.

also, what the hell was up with mike at the final 5 (?) tribal? it seemed like he went absolutely batshit for all of 20 minutes and then everything was fine again. I haven't listened to any interviews or rewatched so I might have missed something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I thought it was pretty bad how petty he was being to Alison.

I haven't been the biggest Mike fan, but him going out of his way to ensure that Angelina didn't get her big moment at tribal was hilarious.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Mike was best when he was sassing Angelina.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
"Hey guys, help me do this thing to boost my resume when I'm competing with you at finals." :downs:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Allison thing was either a whole unseen drama pre-Tribal where like Nick or someone tipped off Mike that he was getting targeted and put it on Allison and then it got ugly... or it was just Mike turning into an rear end in a top hat the first time he was ever in any actual danger. At least he apologized to Allison for it in the end. But it definitely raises the same questions I had about Nick if Mike would have played a much worse game if he had to scramble more. Some people just don't handle the idea of people scheming behind their backs against them well. Even when they've been doing it to those people (a hypocrisy both Mike and Nick showed through the game).

Alternatively I kind of think he was just drunk/hungover.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There was apparently a really big ugly blow up with Mike and Alison before that tribal. Mike learned she was targeting him and did not handle it well. So his little snippy comment at tribal was just an extension of that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That makes sense and what I was assuming. A lot of what made it feel so out of nowhere was that it felt like we entered into the middle of a fight. I guess the editors just didn't have room for it or wanted to maintain the drama that Mike could go and it would have been ruined if like the fight started because Nick, Kara, and Angelina ran up to him and said "can you believe what Alison is trying to do?!" Which was kind of the modus operandi of this cast.

Bunch of snitching, backstabby players this season. It was fun.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 20, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Spokes posted:

I'm glad Nick won; I think he played the best game. But I'm also kind of glad there was minimal talk of how million-dollar Mike White didn't need to/shouldn't win. Hopefully we're just beyond that at this point but I guess we won't know for sure until it actually comes up in a future season.

Sorry, I think you'll find it was conclusively proven earlier in this thread that juries will never give the win to millionaires,

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Rarity posted:

Sorry, I think you'll find it was conclusively proven earlier in this thread that juries will never give the win to millionaires,

Well, I mean, they didn't, but still, I already admitted to being wrong about Mike White and that he played a game that garnered a lot of respect. :downs:

Anyway, the RHAP exit interviews are out and for reasons I don't want to spoil, this one is an absolute must-listen. Just trust me.

EDIT: For those who need a little more info and don't mind spoiling this wonderful surprise for yourself; the second exit interview starts with a hungover Mike White bitching Rob the gently caress out for, among other things, his coverage all season, and his absolute refusal to let anyone forget that The Emoji Movie was a thing. It's loving priceless, because it is clearly not a bit and Rob had no idea Mike was actually listening all season.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 20, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gordon Holmes: Alright, I’m going to start with Alison, but Davie I want you to think about which sci/fi-fantasy character you’d compare your game to.
Davie Rickenbacker: OK.

Holmes: Davie, do you have an answer for me?
Rickenbacker: Sure. And I can choose any character in the world?
Holmes: Sure, I might have to Google it afterwards.
Rickenbacker: So, in “Dragon Ball Z,” it’s an anime and there was this character named Goku, he’s like the light and joy of the show. He was the hero all the time. And then his arch-nemesis was named Vegeta. He fought hard and was determined, he was all about gameplay. I’m a mix of both of them, and I can say that because they had a superpower that they could combine and become Gogeta. I think I was the heart out there, I was keeping my castmates in high spirits. But in the end, when I wanted to them to play hard, that was me being Vegeta. So, I’m Gogeta.
Holmes: Alison, do you agree with that?
Raybould: Not having any idea of those characters…but the way he summed it up? Yes.
Rickenbacker: (Laughs)

Davie is such a goon.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In fairness if someone asks you "What scifi or fantasy character would you compare yourself too? Think about it for a minute and I'll come back to you." then if you're a nerd you probably see that as an invitation.

That being said I understood that about as much as I assume Allison did.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

That makes sense and what I was assuming. A lot of what made it feel so out of nowhere was that it felt like we entered into the middle of a fight. I guess the editors just didn't have room for it or wanted to maintain the drama that Mike could go and it would have been ruined if like the fight started because Nick, Kara, and Angelina ran up to him and said "can you believe what Alison is trying to do?!" Which was kind of the modus operandi of this cast.

Bunch of snitching, backstabby players this season. It was fun.

Honestly, the best part was, everyone got along well with it. Nobody was holding hands and chanting Kumabaya at the end of the day, but they all came out to play, and everyone seemed to, for better or worst, genuinely get along with each other to the point that I'm not even sure Mike/Kara's social game was that much of an advantage.

Well, except Alison and Angelina apparently hated each other. And it was very awkward between Kara and Dan at Ponderosa. So there's that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well Dan was obviously one of the least emotionally prepared for that kind of game and just kind of shut down when the Goliath Strong pagonging hit a speed bump. Its fitting that his sole contribution to the Finale was complaining that someone didn't do enough work around camp.

But yeah, I guess the snitching and backstabs and bus throwing was happening so frequently this season that everyone just kind of calloused up about it. Even when Nick or Mike or Angelina or someone threw a fit they seemed to eventually bounce back and everyone else just shrugged it off. Even if Dan had survived that vote that poo poo probably would have eaten him alive based on how he reacted to the little bit he experienced.

And Angelina. Well... you know.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Where did the Angelina/Allison thing start? I can't remember if there was a specific moment that gave them some rivalry or if it was just a weird obsession of Angelina's that built up into animosity.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Allison directly called out Angelina in Tribal for tipping off Elisabeth to play for the Jury Vote right after the merge. That's when Angelina's game just imploded. My guess it was about 50/50 Angelina holding a grudge and blaming Allison for messing her game up and Allison just having little tolerance for Angelina's dramatic nonsense. She was regularly rolling her eyes at Angelina and calling out her stuff in Tribal. I can't remember if there was any drama between them in that early Goliath Natalie/Jeremy stuff. I remember Angelina tried to kick something up but I don't remember if Allison had any kind of strong reaction to it or pushed back.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 21, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Watching Alison's Ponderosa she makes it sound like she worked Nick to vote for Mike and thought he was buying into it, but then right after Nick must have told Mike because Mike came at her and exploded and wouldn't even give her the time of day for the rest of the day. So maybe they just didn't have the time. Or didn't want Nick or Mike to look bad. Or wanted to maintain the drama. But sounds like we missed something big.

Alison also ends up finishing her Ponderosa talking about how her big takeaway from the game is a deeper sense of empathy that she hopes she can now have for her patients because to some extent she'll know what it is to be starving or cold or stripped of everything and fully vulnerable. Which might be a little flowery but I think probably speaks a bit to why people on the cast saw her as a possible winner threat. Not that I think it would have won in the end, but I think I understand why players were freaking out about her earlier in the game.

Also as the thread's Dan Hater the Alison and Kara Ponderosas are low key hilarious. Like, everyone does a big cheer for Kara and Dan just stands in the background with his hands in his pockets. And he attached to Alison like she was "his girl" even though she totally turned on him like 3 times. Its HILARIOUS. I'm a hater and I'm loling.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dan gave us the Brochacho Advert Ponderosa though, so he's okay in my books.

Can you imagine how awkward it would have been if he made it to the loved ones visit and one of his daughters came out? Not that they would, because I think they're what, under 10 or something, but maaaan.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm watching Davie's Ponderosa video now and his reaction to his weight loss was

e: Kara mentioned that she intentionally put on weight to help sustain her before the game, I think that's the first person that's mentioned doing that in the ponderosa videos I watched

also lmfao Dan when they were doing the cheer for her

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 21, 2018

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Not really excited for any of these returnees. I guess David is alright since he played a great game and this is only his second chance. Can't really justify a 3rd chance for the others though.

IcePhoenix posted:

e: Kara mentioned that she intentionally put on weight to help sustain her before the game, I think that's the first person that's mentioned doing that in the ponderosa videos I watched

I think Dan mentioned doing the same thing in one of the first couple episodes.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't Penner also clearly put on a ton of weight before one of his seasons?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

TMMadman posted:

Didn't Penner also clearly put on a ton of weight before one of his seasons?

i was literally just about to post this, how do i always manage to get beat. yeah, it was Philippines.

finale wasn't super exciting but it was a good end to a good season. i am satisfied. i think mike probably would have won had nick gone out and i think it would have been good with that result too.

i miss the old 'everyone asks a question' format, though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Adus posted:

i miss the old 'everyone asks a question' format, though.

that format, much like the auction, was actually extremely boring

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea, the new format is far better. And it also takes less air time for them to accomplish what they want with the final tribal.

Although, they really should have an epic and ridiculous maze at some point for the final 1-3 challenges! Make them really earn that poo poo.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

that format, much like the auction, was actually extremely boring
Bring back the gross food if you want Classic Survivor.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Bring back gross food... as a loved ones reward challenge... exclusively played by the loved ones.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Joe returning :one:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Angelina really started to grow on me the last couple of weeks. Like, she was full of poo poo, and spiteful, but in a fairly harmless way. I dunno people like that can be fun. I never had any problem with Mike, I wanted him to go the other way so people I liked would go further but I'll never hate on someone for making self-preservation moves.

But Nick did such a good job with the jury tribal that I was surprised Mike got that many votes.

Rick fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 21, 2018

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Nick actually converted at least one Mike vote during that tribal, if the Jury Speaks videos are any indication. It seems the Goliath tribe really liked and respected Mike, and Johnny Mundo went in favoring him, but walked out casting a vote for Nick.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Glad that Joe is back

I really want to see Coach return again, I've been hoping for it every time I watch a new season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spergatory posted:

Nick actually converted at least one Mike vote during that tribal, if the Jury Speaks videos are any indication. It seems the Goliath tribe really liked and respected Mike, and Johnny Mundo went in favoring him, but walked out casting a vote for Nick.

I'm actually a little surprised we didn't get more reminders that trying to convince a jury to vote how he wants is Nick's entire profession.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

nick received zero votes during the season, not even nullified ones. how many other winners have pulled that one off?

e: doing some research, it appears jt in tocantins, natalie in san juan del sur, and cochran in cagayan were the only other ones, with jt and cochran playing the only statistically perfect season (in which jt would have legendarily diminishing returns)

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 21, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

STONE COLD 64 posted:

nick received zero votes during the season, not even nullified ones. how many other winners have pulled that one off?

Cochran and Earl both ran perfect games I believe?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Earl got a single throwaway vote against him at one point IIRC.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Cochran and JT played completely perfect games, receiving no elimination votes and all jury votes.

Jeremy Collins played a technically perfect game, receiving only canceled elimination votes and every jury vote.

Earl received one throwaway vote, but got all jury votes.

Sugar played a goose egg game, receiving no votes of any kind for the entire season.

Not sure who might have gotten no votes during the season but lost some votes at the end though.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

conversely now i wonder which winner had the most collective votes cast against them during a season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STONE COLD 64 posted:

conversely now i wonder which winner had the most collective votes cast against them during a season.

If votes nullified by an idol count then Ben is probably pretty far up there.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

If votes nullified by an idol count then Ben is probably pretty far up there.

yeah he has 11 counting nullified votes. counting only votes that count, aras leads it with 9.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They don't match Sugar's record, but Kara joins Cirie in the 'left the game with no votes of any kind throughout the game, without being medevaced or rocked out' group.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Spergatory posted:

Well, I mean, they didn't, but still, I already admitted to being wrong about Mike White and that he played a game that garnered a lot of respect. :downs:

Anyway, the RHAP exit interviews are out and for reasons I don't want to spoil, this one is an absolute must-listen. Just trust me.

EDIT: For those who need a little more info and don't mind spoiling this wonderful surprise for yourself; the second exit interview starts with a hungover Mike White bitching Rob the gently caress out for, among other things, his coverage all season, and his absolute refusal to let anyone forget that The Emoji Movie was a thing. It's loving priceless, because it is clearly not a bit and Rob had no idea Mike was actually listening all season.

For a professional writer Mike is incredibly bad at expressing his thoughts in complete coherent sentences. (To be fair he did say he was really hungover. )

A great line was when Rob asked if Mike wanted to complete the trifecta of CBS reality shows by going on Celebrity Big Brother and he said something along the lines of, "I like the adventure (of Survivor and TAR), there's nothing appealing about sitting on a sound stage in Burbank for so many weeks, eating crappy food. That's too much like my day job".