Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is a fun little watch, I love how he just casually destroys that godawful Spider-Man Homecoming poster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hCcr3EfJg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Finally got into see it. What a movie. Spider-Man Noir was literally perfect. Every single thing he said or did made me laugh. The animation was so beautiful.

My favorite part had to be when Miles threw the bagel at one of the henchmen complete with a BAGEL! onomatopoeia bubble.

I also wanted to add that Spider-Gwen reminded me how rad superhero costumes are when you have a hood. See also: Damian Robin.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 20, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Anecdotally, word of mouth on Spider-Verse is incredible, which could give it legs.

I see what you did there.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The sequel to Thor: Ragnarok sure is coming out quickly

https://twitter.com/IMDb/status/1075761511908421633

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

On the one hand, I hate it when trailers spoil every joke in the movie. On the other hand, that was a lovely trailer.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Samuringa posted:

That looks pretty good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I am definitely feeling more enthusiastic about the MIB one than the Hellboy one.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I dunno. MIB looks a bit too 'generic action movie'.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I'm excited but I love MIB, Tessa and Hemsworth doing comedy. Especially together!

I want them to bring back the old Will Smith song tho.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm going to be disappointed if there's no Will Smith cameo or if they kill him off immediately as a changing of the guard thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
they have to pull will out of his job at the post office for one last mission

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hemsworth rapping through the credits is going to be worth the price of admission.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SonicRulez posted:

My favorite part had to be when Miles threw the bagel at one of the henchmen complete with a BAGEL! onomatopoeia bubble.

The onomatopoeia in Spider-verse is amazing, but that one was the apex.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

I realize that product placement makes mad money and studios are all about money but every MIB sequel seems to forget the concept of "dismissed as deja vu" whenever they bring out their new sweetass car like it's a loving Bond movie.

Also that trailer leans a little too heavy on the comedy side of action-comedy for me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I had no idea Liam Neeson was going to be in this. I dig the cast, but I’m curious to see how an MiB movie set almost entirely outside NYC feels.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I just get Ghostbusters 2016 vibes from this, so I'll be avoiding it at all costs.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

I disagree.
The main argument is "a screen showed his universe number as 616. So it must be comics Spider-man."

It ignores the fact that Miles' home dimension is given the number of 1610 (Which is the Ultimate Universe) but this universe is clearly not the Ultimate Universe. (The article tries to push this inconvenient fact to one side.)

Hell even putting aside the universe number point, there is no evidence from what we know about Peter B. Parker's background that maps it to 616's background.

There are similarities, but nothing concrete. It's a bad article and I don't like it.

There's no certainty to any of this. But I liked the argument b/c of what it allowed to happen, that any hero with Spider-man's level of canon adventures is gonna have some serious shell-shock weariness to it all, and would have to fight back (or get up) to do it at all.

Using the idea that Peter B. Parker is the original Spider-man just makes it more interesting is all.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it has tessa thompson so like, i was never not gonna see it

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MiB looks fun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m a little disappointed they never did a full prequel set in the 60’s with Josh Brolin’s K, because he was fantastic in 3.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Spider-Verse Christmas album out tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRQ_gjeFMRA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_BUTJIBGoA

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
It's a christmas miracle

https://twitter.com/filmmusicrep/status/1075847635431354368

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

God Bless Chris Pine for actually doing that.

EDIT: Spidey Bells is amazing!

“I’m feeling deep regret..,”

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m a little disappointed they never did a full prequel set in the 60’s with Josh Brolin’s K, because he was fantastic in 3.

He was a very good impressionist, but both MIB sequels undercut the melancholy element of the first movie. The whole point is that K's gotten too old and wistful to do the job and needs to hand things over to the new generation. If Linda Fiorentino was 100% a no-go (and #MeToo makes me a little antsy about that whole situation) then they should've gotten a Reese Witherspoon or someone to be Smith's new co-star for the sequels.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wonder Woman and Spider-Verse make me retroactively angry at the first two modern Star Trek movies for making Pine seem so bad at comedy. Granted, it was Orci/Kurtzman scripted comedy which should say all you need to know.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Gaz-L posted:

He was a very good impressionist, but both MIB sequels undercut the melancholy element of the first movie. The whole point is that K's gotten too old and wistful to do the job and needs to hand things over to the new generation. If Linda Fiorentino was 100% a no-go (and #MeToo makes me a little antsy about that whole situation) then they should've gotten a Reese Witherspoon or someone to be Smith's new co-star for the sequels.

I guess the trailer looked good but to steal something tweeted by someone else, basically both agents are playing Will Smith's Jay character.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Unlucky7 posted:

I guess the trailer looked good but to steal something tweeted by someone else, basically both agents are playing Will Smith's Jay character.

That's really the hurdle with making sequels. The first MIB hit things so well that any followers are going to be trying to both copy that and have their own voice at the same time. I'll probably still watch it, MIB1 was a family favorite as kids (such that when Mom sent us off to the video store for a rental she'd have to specify not that or we'd come back with it again), and 3 had some great bits.

Also I'm not sure anyone can ever come close to Tommy Lee Jones's ability to do deadpan humor. It's easier to try and play Will Smith.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If they'd wanted to replicate the dynamic, it should've been Tessa Thompson and Liam Neeson. (or Emma Thompson)

It is also 100% not easier to play Will Smith. It just seems like it would be but the problem is no-one is Will Smith except the Fresh Prince himself.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gaz-L posted:

It is also 100% not easier to play Will Smith. It just seems like it would be but the problem is no-one is Will Smith except the Fresh Prince himself.

Oh sure. It's not easier to succeed, just to attempt. You can be half a Smith and still be comic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bruceski posted:

That's really the hurdle with making sequels. The first MIB hit things so well that any followers are going to be trying to both copy that and have their own voice at the same time. I'll probably still watch it, MIB1 was a family favorite as kids (such that when Mom sent us off to the video store for a rental she'd have to specify not that or we'd come back with it again), and 3 had some great bits.

Also I'm not sure anyone can ever come close to Tommy Lee Jones's ability to do deadpan humor. It's easier to try and play Will Smith.

IIRC the issue with the MiB movies and sequels was that the studio constantly wanted both Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones back and both of them are extremely gun shy when it comes to sequels.

Gaz-L posted:

Wonder Woman and Spider-Verse make me retroactively angry at the first two modern Star Trek movies for making Pine seem so bad at comedy. Granted, it was Orci/Kurtzman scripted comedy which should say all you need to know.

Pine was a lot of fun as a bad guy on the last season of Angie Tribeca. He played a Hannibal Lecter-esque serial killer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He's also amazing as Kirk in Star Trek Beyond, because the script actually has him do Captain Kirk stuff, not what Roberto Orci vaguely remembers from "Kirk beds green chicks" memes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Star Trek Beyond is the best Star Trek movie since Undiscovered Country.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I always liked Chris Pine and it's not just because he looks so dreamy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Star Trek Beyond is the best Star Trek movie since Undiscovered Country.

The little smirk he gets when he realises what song Jayla and Scotty picked to mess with the drone ships is perfect.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaunab posted:

I always liked Chris Pine and it's not just because he looks so dreamy.

He's quietly moving up the Chris ranks. Soon he might be top 3!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

He's quietly moving up the Chris ranks. Soon he might be top 3!

Nobody will ever dethrone Chris Kattan, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jamesman posted:

Nobody will ever dethrone Chris Kattan, though.

Well of course not. Why would we even discuss such a thing.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Samuringa posted:

Looks not too bad, but did London give some tax breaks or does everyone want to get a movie in before it turns into a post-apocalyptic hellscape after Brexit? First Hellboy, now MiB changing setting to London.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Decius posted:

Looks not too bad, but did London give some tax breaks or does everyone want to get a movie in before it turns into a post-apocalyptic hellscape after Brexit? First Hellboy, now MiB changing setting to London.

Yeah London's had some big tax breaks for filming for a about a decade.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Aquaman.

Pros:
-This movie might well have one of the most satisfying final act climaxes of superhero movies lately. It almost...almost...makes me want to forgive Justice League's bizarre neglect of Aquaman's superpowers just for the cathartic, rewarding high of finally seeing him at full power during this final battle and how spectacular it all looked.

-It's incredibly clear even just from the first few moments of the film that it really cares about its characters and that its primary objective is to shape stories about these characters that we care about. This is good. This is really the most important part. Once you get this part down, everything else just kinda follows.

-This is the third superhero film whose central conflict is between two royal brothers/cousins/whatever vying to claim rulership of a fantasy kingdom from one another, but you know what? It honestly doesn't feel like it. Orm and Arthur's dynamic feels very unique, very earned, and the way that everything plays out isn't going to remind anyone of Thor or Black Panther.

-The film looks amazing. This is exactly how a lot of superhero films should look. This is exactly right. One of the best and more unique aspects of DC Comics properties, in contrast to Marvel, is the feel and personality of their fictional settings, cities, kingdoms, and planets. Krypton, Smallville, Metropolis, Gotham, Central City, Themyscira, Oa...these are all iconic settings with their own personalities that help to define what the DC Universe is. And this film did a really great job with Atlantis' personality and iconography.

-The film also does a good job of showcasing all the sorts of stuff about the surface world that person who's lived their entire lives underwater would find utterly bizarre...or delightful. Of course a merwoman has never drank hot tea before. Of course she doesn't know what a dog is. Of course an Atlantean has never smelled flowers before or seen fruits. Of course they've never truly shed tears. The attention to these kinds of details just goes part and parcel with all the overall attention to characterization that Wan and these filmmakes showed throughout the film.

Cons:
-Drunk

-Mera's hair did get less distracting and more pleasing as time went by, and I like Mera as a concept and thought her and Arthur's dynamic really worked here, but I never ended up buying Amber Heard as an undersea mermaid princess. She pretty much just talks and acts like a modern surface woman who's Tough (tm) and Sassy (tm) and Doesn't Take poo poo (tm) and all that.

-You know how people occasionally say films like Wonder Woman feel like three or four different films stitched together? Because of the tonal differences between different acts and all that? Aquaman is that, but more like seven or eight films stitched together. If I didn't know anything about the film and you told me there were four directors and five different writers? I would believe it without a moment's hesitation.
There is...sort of a central thread tying everything together and the characters are strong enough to make sure you never forget that this is all still their singular story, but different parts of the film definitely feel like, ah, this is "The superhero portion" and then "the fantasy kingdom portion" and then there's "the Indiana Jones portion" and then "The horror film portion for some reason" and then "The part where they watched Guardians of the Galaxy and thought it was funny" and then etc etc, and it's all much more jarring than it probably should've been. It felt weirdly amateurish despite you being able to tell that they put a ton of work into this.

-The trident search plot is the very definition of a macguffin-based storyline that just ends up making no sense. And it also ends up harming the central narrative of Arthur's journey into becoming a king-slash-hero. There's a ton of emphasis throughout the film placed on Arthur's development into a heroic character and other people keep going "You'd be a much better king than Orm, I can see that so clearly now" and all of that. But then at the end of the day it's not really clear how that actually helped him to claim the trident when so many others have failed before, and then the others Atlanteans just go "Hey he's got the trident, well that means we should probably support him instead of Orm." The entire major conflict of Arthur's relationship with Atlantis and why they would ever follow a half-breed surface-dweller basically gets solved with...well, with magic. Magic and anachronistic cultures following anachronistic rules saying that they should just follow this guy, the end, moving on now.
If I were writing this script, I'd probably have this trident also break during the final fight and then Arthur discovers that the real power of the trident was in him all along and stuff, except we literally just did that with Wonder Woman. So. I dunno.

Overall I was quite impressed with a lot of what this film had to offer. I'd happily see it again. But, it's still a film with noticeable flaws and I do get the feeling that the more I see it, the more of the flaws I'll see as well.