Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

I feel like the Xenon haven't thought this out too well. They keep sending their mining ships into paranid territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

FrickenMoron posted:

I feel like the Xenon haven't thought this out too well. They keep sending their mining ships into paranid territory.

Maybe they have a ton of those ships and losing another one is just a...miner inconvenience.

(I'm loving hilarious)

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I mean they did come from faulty logic :downs:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

FrickenMoron posted:

Which sectors actually have the new venture stations?

Notes say you have to build them on your own station and that you can only have 1 per account. I'm not home to test so please correct me if I'm wrong. They also say the game cannot be modded and someone said that's wrong.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I actually havent done any station building in this game yet, it's a bit intimdating. I like the "plop down and provide resources" thing Rebirth had though i guess it lacks making self sufficient complexes.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Here is a really good station planner: http://www.x4-game.com/#/station-calculator

Does anyone know what trading drones on a station does?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

TjyvTompa posted:

Here is a really good station planner: http://www.x4-game.com/#/station-calculator

Does anyone know what trading drones on a station does?

For trading with L and XL ships on a docking pier.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Since the update killed autotraders at below 3 stars: How do i go about procuring a 3 star pilot? Just buying a bunch of scoutships with a pilot and hope i get a good one and then swap em?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FrickenMoron posted:

Since the update killed autotraders at below 3 stars: How do i go about procuring a 3 star pilot? Just buying a bunch of scoutships with a pilot and hope i get a good one and then swap em?

Just keep your pilots/captains working, really. It seems any command with at least slowly increase their stats, so even if just set that random discoverer to "follow this miner around" it's better than sitting in the hanger doing nothing.

I'm also doing a miner --> trader promotion chain. Auto-mine only requires one star, so you can let basically anyone captain a mining ship until they get three stars. Once that happens you switch them to the trade ship and hire/promote a new mining captain. The auto-mine script does include taking the ore/gas to a suitable station and selling it ,so this allows a one star captain be productive without any supervision until they are ready for the trading ship.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

FrickenMoron posted:

Honestly, I've had good luck promptly firing the pilot as soon as the ship is built and then promote the most qualified crewman to pilot.

More often than not, the guy that replaces the pilot I fired is 3 stars.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Oh no, you cant teleport to all stations anymore. RIP godly presence.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

Build a cheap ship at a shipyard, send it to where you want to go and do it in 5-10 minutes. Keep a ship docked for teleportation at every HQ and probably one per sector. Basically anywhere you think you want to be put a cheap 200k ship.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I started, well, all my starts so far, bar a couple, have been the dev starts, just to prepare my rear end for the wrecking it will get when playing the game proper, and its made jumping into a new game pretty breezy, also +1 for breezyness is the ship skin mod, that gives you 50x the most expensive ship skin, (sells for up to 1.2 mil, can be anything from 500.000, so, can shop around and be up to a bil in a short space of time.) learn all the things, so my crews spend less time sucking dicks at spacebars and more time learning how to avoid going full steam into... everything else.
legalize it, makes the stuff carried in your space pockets legal, so you dont have to worry about the politzei huffing your gas.ofc, spaceweed and fuel, are still illegal.
some mod that makes scanning stations for their precious bp's a lot easier, find on nexus, and the autotraders mod, but make sure they don't do illegal stuff, until they are competant for the regular autotrading, as they don't earn you happy points with the factions they trade with otherwise.

finally.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

hobbesmaster posted:

Something egosoft says is beta... oh dear.

Leal posted:

Ready and waiting for SS Cocks to be sent to my world!

Cue :egosoft:

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Egosoft video about Ventures and 1.50 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuONlBUTuy0

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

which races are playable in this? does anyone have nice screenshots of them? the internet is not being helpful in this regard

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

juggalo baby coffin posted:

which races are playable in this? does anyone have nice screenshots of them? the internet is not being helpful in this regard

Is that a namechange? cos its awesome, anyway, of course you have your regular hume, you can also play as a kinky skink, the teladi, and ofc, you can lay waste to the un-bleiber with the paranid, the prochoice. however, there is also a singular, barrel rolling boron bozo, and some female split elves with altogether too many chromosomes and no hair to interact with. (Split want to li-bakooom)
as it stands, the games a hot mess so far, but well worth getting if you liked x3, there's already mad people working on cramming the x3 map into the game.

oh, and expect to be somewhat surprised by the predominance of P.o.C humans, try not to stare at their eyes. no yisha tarren so far, and for boobs, the above female gollu- split.

staberind fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 21, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The paranid have objectively the best ship designs but I do like the teladi capital bridge because it's very spacious.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

staberind posted:

Is that a namechange? cos its awesome, anyway, of course you have your regular hume, you can also play as a kinky skink, the teladi, and ofc, you can lay waste to the un-bleiber with the paranid, the prochoice. however, there is also a singular, barrel rolling boron bozo, and some female split elves with altogether too many chromosomes and no hair to interact with. (Split want to li-bakooom)
as it stands, the games a hot mess so far, but well worth getting if you liked x3, there's already mad people working on cramming the x3 map into the game.

oh, and expect to be somewhat surprised by the predominance of P.o.C humans, try not to stare at their eyes. no yisha tarren so far, and for boobs, the above female gollu- split.

yeah i got this name change a lil while back, thanks!

the boron are the cute little squid guys right? can you play as one?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Nah you can't be a squid sadly, there's no Boron or Split ships in the game either

Looks like the patch fixes ships baddies eject from taking tons of damage from each shot? As the pulse laser fires in bursts, I've accidentally blown up every abandoned ship I've fought

I like Paranid ships but the capitals look a bit bare

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The Paranid capital ships looks like giant hairdryers.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
It's a shame, the Nemesis looks super deadly

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

FrickenMoron posted:

You can if you have that trade subscription thing.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

TjyvTompa posted:

You can if you have that trade subscription thing.

Welp finally a reason to buy all of those now

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Welp finally a reason to buy all of those now

It's a really good thing to have when playing an un-modded game where you have to drop a million satellites and keep an eye out for new stations and explore every sector. Now I just sit back and watch the money roll , +20mil per hour on my best station so far. A Field Coils/Claytronics/Engine Parts/Hull Parts factory in Holy Vision brings in crazy money.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

TjyvTompa posted:

It's a really good thing to have when playing an un-modded game where you have to drop a million satellites and keep an eye out for new stations and explore every sector. Now I just sit back and watch the money roll , +20mil per hour on my best station so far. A Field Coils/Claytronics/Engine Parts/Hull Parts factory in Holy Vision brings in crazy money.

I have been flooding the world with smart chips and every wharf, shipyard, and equipment dock is still buying 60k+ of them. So I have some cash to play with now. Do claytronics actually sell well? I know every knew station needs thousands of them, but I don't see a huge demand on the trade overlay.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

I have been flooding the world with smart chips and every wharf, shipyard, and equipment dock is still buying 60k+ of them. So I have some cash to play with now. Do claytronics actually sell well? I know every knew station needs thousands of them, but I don't see a huge demand on the trade overlay.

Yes Claytronics sell really well, it's my main moneymaker with Field Coils a close second. I'll look into producing smart chips, thanks!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The only thing they're used for AFAIK is building stations so I guess it depends how many stations people are building.

But you would have plenty of use for them yourself so it might be worth making them anyway. They cost a fortune to buy.

On a related note, is there a command you can give to make your ships distribute station parts to your stations in need? I tried the distribute wares one but it didn't seem to do anything.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

The paranid have objectively the best ship designs but I do like the teladi capital bridge because it's very spacious.

Debatable for small and medium hulls, objectively true for destroyers. I have no idea what they were thinking making the PAR destroyer so much more powerful than any of the others. You trade off 5 turret slots and a medium landing pad for an additional shield generator? gently caress off egosoft.

OwlFancier posted:

The only thing they're used for AFAIK is building stations so I guess it depends how many stations people are building.

But you would have plenty of use for them yourself so it might be worth making them anyway. They cost a fortune to buy.

On a related note, is there a command you can give to make your ships distribute station parts to your stations in need? I tried the distribute wares one but it didn't seem to do anything.

I just right click on my station and assign traders to trade for the station but I've been having issues with it not behaving as I would like it (namely, not shipping out the crazy number of engine parts I'm pushing out).

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
So what is the consensus now that 1.5 is out? should I buy this?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Temaukel posted:

So what is the consensus now that 1.5 is out? should I buy this?

Buy, sure it's probably not going down in price until the summer sale at the earliest.

It's complete enough as-is to be fun, even in 1.3x if you are asking is this game amazing and something someone with no tolerance for jank would like? Come back in 3 years and get a bundle with all the expansions.

It's going to slowly get better during this time. It really depends on how much you can put up with. It's not much right now, but some people get really upset at stuff that doesn't work how they expect.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
IMO, it needs the ability for the player to be able to construct their own ships/weapons before I call it fully featured. But it's pretty solidly functional at this point, with just a pain point of you are essentially REQUIRED to fill the holes in the economy.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Slickdrac posted:

IMO, it needs the ability for the player to be able to construct their own ships/weapons before I call it fully featured. But it's pretty solidly functional at this point, with just a pain point of you are essentially REQUIRED to fill the holes in the economy.

You run out of end game goals around the 40-50 hour mark unless you want to completely obliterate every other living thing in the universe or just see how many stations you can build and basically control 99% of the economy yourself. I don't think we'll get a more robust end game from patches though, I think that'll come from an expansion, likely in 6-9 months. 40-50 hours is still a TON of content. It's just not much for a game of this scale.

Can't go wrong buying now if you plan on buying at all. It's something that will be great instead of good at some point, that is very clear.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
One weird thing I've noticed is that AI stations lowest price is lower than your minimum price which leads to situations like your station traders picking up intermediate goods even though you produce everything you need yourself because they can buy it cheaper than you can set the max price to.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

TjyvTompa posted:

One weird thing I've noticed is that AI stations lowest price is lower than your minimum price which leads to situations like your station traders picking up intermediate goods even though you produce everything you need yourself because they can buy it cheaper than you can set the max price to.

I think this is due to the discount you get from a high relationship with a faction. Another station was selling smart chips cheaper than I could even set my prices but I had a very steady flow of traders willing to buy from me.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

so, this is flot. flot has no time for your bullshit, he just wants to dive into space.
he hangs around on a space station that exists purely to sell space fuel.
you can buy flot.
you can buy flot and put him on a ship. and send flot to single handedly take on the xenon.
you can gently caress flot up pretty bad.
flot has a shirt that says zero.
flot is worth 1.200 spacebux. the cheapest ship hull you can get is about 10 times that, plus silly things like engines and control software. and a pilot. like flot.

This is flots chum.
Yohulis Trantaeos Tissmaneos I,
This individual is a trader,
he, she, it whatever, will buy your pocket lint that you have picked up in space.
or, they will sell you stuff, like steak. for 788 spacebux.
flot would like a steak, flot can have 1.8 steaks if you buy flot.
flot is worth less than two meals.
flot needs to read a seminar on morale.

staberind fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 22, 2018

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

The hero that x4 deserves needs currently has. Flying through space like superman glaring at the xenon. Bless your little heart, Flot.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

The game is incredibly grim when look at the details. I have a factory with 2000+ people in it working for food and first aid kits. I never pay them,
but they just show up. They all live in the space equivalent of a mega block from Judge Dredd. A single fine meal costs multiple times more then it does to hire a person for an indeterminate amount of time. Meanwhile crazy space billionaires are throwing hundreds of millions of dollars and thousands of people at a time into battles to protect their space drug and booze business against robots and what I assume are bugs.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The game is incredibly grim when look at the details. I have a factory with 2000+ people in it working for food and first aid kits. I never pay them,
but they just show up. They all live in the space equivalent of a mega block from Judge Dredd. A single fine meal costs multiple times more then it does to hire a person for an indeterminate amount of time. Meanwhile crazy space billionaires are throwing hundreds of millions of dollars and thousands of people at a time into battles to protect their space drug and booze business against robots and what I assume are bugs.

They make their own fun with crafts and folk dances.

We occasionally execute a commuter to keep spirits up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

bandaid.friend posted:

Nah you can't be a squid sadly, there's no Boron or Split ships in the game either

Looks like the patch fixes ships baddies eject from taking tons of damage from each shot? As the pulse laser fires in bursts, I've accidentally blown up every abandoned ship I've fought

I like Paranid ships but the capitals look a bit bare

*screaming loudly*