Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Azathoth posted:

I'm not sure how to ask this, so pardon my inarticulate phrasing, but wasn't this always what was going to happen once Russia went all in on Assad and the non-Kurd rebels in the east went all clusterfuck.

Like, the US wasn't ever going to fight Assad on behalf of the Kurds and everyone knows it. At some point, it was always gonna come down to Assad's troops rolling into Rojava and the only question was ever whether the Kurds could stop him independently and that door closed hard when Russia got involved.

I'm freely admitting I could be wrong, so please correct me if I am.

Nope. The writing was on the wall pretty much the day that Turkey launched Operation Euphrates Shield to keep the cantons from linking up. Turkey is the second biggest military in NATO, and an indispensable geostrategic ally to American interests - so at best all the US was gonna do was stall for time until we'd beaten down ISIS to something we could call a win. After Raqqa was taken the US mission was to stay in Rojava to try and keep Syria destabilized, but the government is clearly going to win with the help of Russia and Hezbollah - so that's also a completely wasted effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
become assad's slaves or be massacred by the turks, an unenvious position the kurds are in.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

if Turkey hadn't been so determined to prevent any sort of fledgling Kurd state from taking form I definitely could have seen the US propping up the Kurds in eastern Syria long-term... That's what it looked like was happening as recently as a couple days ago. It provides some nice US military base real estate not far from Iran, access to lots of oil, splits apart a non-aligned state in Syria, and all sorts of scheming bullshit like that. And the US did blow away a bunch of SAA-aligned forces on multiple occasions when they ventured too far east. but the US was never going to choose the Kurds over Turkey. Kurds need to submit to Damascus rule now

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Another reason for pulling out of Syria:
https://twitter.com/KeesvdPijl1/status/1075441013227950080

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Azathoth posted:

I'm not sure how to ask this, so pardon my inarticulate phrasing, but wasn't this always what was going to happen once Russia went all in on Assad and the non-Kurd rebels in the east went all clusterfuck.

Like, the US wasn't ever going to fight Assad on behalf of the Kurds and everyone knows it. At some point, it was always gonna come down to Assad's troops rolling into Rojava and the only question was ever whether the Kurds could stop him independently and that door closed hard when Russia got involved.

I'm freely admitting I could be wrong, so please correct me if I am.

It was always obvious that the Kurds would end up in Assad's Syria or Erdogan's circus, the reason why this decision is so important is that Washington has decided in the Kurds' stead which scenario will happen - and it's arguably the much worse one, i.e. subjugation to Turkey and its borderline genocidal proxy militias. Unless Assad and YPG can act very, very quickly to outpace Turkey in moving in.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/jaketapper/stat...ingawful.com%2F

So long do you think the Afghan government will stand without US support?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Once again asking a question from ignorance. The last time I heard anything about Turkey's military, they were struggling around Raqqa. Is there any reason to think that they could take and hold territory in Syria once Assad invests seriously in throwing them out?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Turkey currently occupies large areas of Syria, and Assad is powerless to do anything about it. The whole Idlib region is a Turkish protectorate where islamist militias roam free. The Afrin canton was conquered by Turkey in a military operation and subjected to ethnic cleansing. It's not something to take lightly

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

omg jungle hell war

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
lol at the centerist meltdown over any implication that eternal-war could just be whole-lotta-war

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bip Roberts posted:

lol at the centerist meltdown over any implication that eternal-war could just be whole-lotta-war

Wait until the Democratic primaries when some of the candidates are gonna campaign on never leaving Afghanistan.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Azathoth posted:

Once again asking a question from ignorance. The last time I heard anything about Turkey's military, they were struggling around Raqqa. Is there any reason to think that they could take and hold territory in Syria once Assad invests seriously in throwing them out?

Turkish struggles were mostly due to relying on their rebels to do the bulk of the fighting. Unless the Russians intervene on their behalf, the Assad regime has little chance of expelling any Turkish occupations if the Turks actually contest it with their regular army.

Most of the Syrian regime's army units exist in name only at this point and are reliant on a clusterfuck of pro-gov militias to do most of the fighting. If it hadn't been for Russia, they would have probably collapsed.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/stat...ingawful.com%2F

So long do you think the Afghan government will stand without US support?

doesn’t matter it was doomed to fail since we invaded because “nation building” was a scam to flood American private contractors with tax dollars. nothing we’ve ever done to “nation build” has resulted in prosperity in the Middle East. gently caress it.

this is a death economy.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol mattis quit cuz trump made him look like a fool over syria

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Dalatrm/status/1075829364049281024
https://twitter.com/eha_news/status/1075852787529994245

Idk what EHA news is, but it seems apparent that the situation on the ground is developing quickly.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Vernii posted:

Turkish struggles were mostly due to relying on their rebels to do the bulk of the fighting. Unless the Russians intervene on their behalf, the Assad regime has little chance of expelling any Turkish occupations if the Turks actually contest it with their regular army.

Most of the Syrian regime's army units exist in name only at this point and are reliant on a clusterfuck of pro-gov militias to do most of the fighting. If it hadn't been for Russia, they would have probably collapsed.

(Tens of?) Thousands of members of the Turkish military have been purged over the last two years, so I think the actual fighting ability of the Turkish Army might not be as robust as some here believe.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OhFunny posted:

(Tens of?) Thousands of members of the Turkish military have been purged over the last two years, so I think the actual fighting ability of the Turkish Army might not be as robust as some here believe.

Yeah the idea that the Turkish military is some unstoppable juggernaut doesn't hold up to much scrutiny. All they've done so far is be artillery support for the Salafist militias under their command.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Isn't their air force something to be concermed about here?

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Not saying its unstoppable or a juggernaut. Just that considering the SAA has basically ceased to exist as a proper army and Russia/Hezbollah had to drag the regime across the finish line, I don't think there's much Assad can do unless the Russians are willing to intervene.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's a lot easier to wage a ground war now with all of the rebels isolated into separate pockets, where all they've done for months is kill each other over turf.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

A risk for the YPG as a group is that it seems like factions in the SDF are split between wanting to reconcile with the Assad government or aligning with the Turks.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Vernii posted:

Not saying its unstoppable or a juggernaut. Just that considering the SAA has basically ceased to exist as a proper army and Russia/Hezbollah had to drag the regime across the finish line, I don't think there's much Assad can do unless the Russians are willing to intervene.

Legit question: given how heavily they are involved already and how Russia clearly views Turkey as an adversary for regional power, why on Earth wouldn't they intervene?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Azathoth posted:

Legit question: given how heavily they are involved already and how Russia clearly views Turkey as an adversary for regional power, why on Earth wouldn't they intervene?

because turkey is still a member of NATO

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

the bitcoin of weed posted:

If Turkey is operating across the Syrian border, is any NATO member gonna do anything other than tell them to gently caress off if they ask for help?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Wait until the Democratic primaries when some of the candidates are gonna campaign on never leaving Afghanistan. disgruntled former Trump cabinet members

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Trump...good??

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/Dalatrm/status/1075829364049281024
https://twitter.com/eha_news/status/1075852787529994245

Idk what EHA news is, but it seems apparent that the situation on the ground is developing quickly.

Uh, almost like turkey knew about the pull out before Rojava :thunk:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

cool

THS
Sep 15, 2017

im gay

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
obama's nobel peace prize should be forcibly seized and given to trump

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

mila kunis posted:

This except instead of Trump give it to Chelsea Manning.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/198829802206150656

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

the bitcoin of weed posted:

George Kennan was right. NATO expansion was a mistake

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Turkey is going to get rekt

Also, French troops are still in Rojava no?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

mila kunis posted:

Is some peace about to happen? I fucken love peace

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

invading venezuela would be so tremendously stupid and suicidal that i can absolutely see whatever remains of the neocons pushing it. i doubt trump is even dumb enough to fall for it though

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frijolero posted:

Also, French troops are still in Rojava no?

lmao Paris found out about the pull-out from Syria only when Trump announced it

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

gradenko_2000 posted:

lmao Paris found out about the pull-out from Syria only when Trump announced it

lmao

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU