Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Because when I think of Dune, I think of this loving bullshit!

http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/File:Cymek.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Woah, what if Hideo Kojima made a Dune game

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

Woah, what if Hideo Kojima made a Dune game

Plots within plots? Check

Not sure how nanomachines or raiden would fare in a post-butlerian jihad universe though.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Zeniel posted:

Because when I think of Dune, I think of this loving bullshit!

http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/File:Cymek.jpg

Seriously. Most of the artwork (fanart, I hope) surrounding the Butlerian Jihad looks laughable, like something out of a Bionicle story.

The YouTube channel 'Ideas of Ice & Fire' at least tends to pick some really tasteful fanart to accompany their narration, but then again most of it isn't even from Dune - I was watching one of their videos on the history of space travel in the series, and the first picture was clearly from BSG. It was the Colonial One.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

He would really make people think about the connections between environment-behavior-religion, history, and all that jazz. Plus, Jamis and Feyd-Rautha could be merged into the same boss fight 'cause of time stuffs.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Maybe the spice could be like, nanomachines

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ideas of ice and fire is great but i wish the pool of dune artwork was bigger and better because when he starts using the concept art from Lynch's Dune and some of the edge cases on fan art it just seems like yikes was that the best he could find? I like his videos especially his insights and coverage but daaang the images he shows can be really bad

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I hope the new movie has the Feyd arena fight

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

In space spandex or I'm gonna be real mad

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Did the Syfy miniseries have it?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mister Speaker posted:

Seriously. Most of the artwork (fanart, I hope) surrounding the Butlerian Jihad looks laughable, like something out of a Bionicle story.

The YouTube channel 'Ideas of Ice & Fire' at least tends to pick some really tasteful fanart to accompany their narration, but then again most of it isn't even from Dune - I was watching one of their videos on the history of space travel in the series, and the first picture was clearly from BSG. It was the Colonial One.

I’m pretty sure that’s a book cover.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Here’s a great short film about the Butlerian Jihad

https://youtu.be/N9wsjroVlu8

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I hope it doesn't so the movie can end with Paul and Jessica walking off into the desert while the ghost of Liet Keynes monologues about messiah's being a failure state for a nation.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

exmachina posted:

Did the Syfy miniseries have it?

Yes. There does not appear to be any easily found link with a less bad soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is0mJY-UEpM

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sting is still alive

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Ratatozsk posted:

Yes. There does not appear to be any easily found link with a less bad soundtrack

Nah, I think they meant the scene from the original book with Feyd in the Harkonnen arena against some random Atriedes dude who is supposed to be drugged to be recklessly aggressive, but isn't.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Elissimpark posted:

Nah, I think they meant the scene from the original book with Feyd in the Harkonnen arena against some random Atriedes dude who is supposed to be drugged to be recklessly aggressive, but isn't.

Yes that one

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

Gladiator, yes. Specifically drugged yet hyperlethal atreides? No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfoQtWTR9b8

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
What a lovely boy.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I think I will rewatch the Syfy version tonight. For all it's faults it is a better telling of the novels.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Elissimpark posted:

Specifically, the atreides soldier was one of the ones that compared to the sardukar and were the reason the Emperor sided with the Harkonnen. The Baron, who didn't realize they existed, was oblivious of the threat he posed, and Hawat would definitely have known how to covertly communicate with him.

Hawat sat on that chip for a while, and cashed it in a win-win situation. Either a Harkonnen dies or he infiltrates the Baron's power structure.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Hawat would never have walked in to the ol' poison tooth trap.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

exmachina posted:

I think I will rewatch the Syfy version tonight. For all it's faults it is a better telling of the novels.

The sci-fi mini series is what made me learn that some countries get different versions of our shows. I have it on DVD and saw more of Chani than I had expected.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

AFewBricksShy posted:

The sci-fi mini series is what made me learn that some countries get different versions of our shows. I have it on DVD and saw more of Chani than I had expected.

The miniseries actress for Chani has that syndrome that they talk about on Seinfeld where somebody looks hot in very specific light and not in every other kind of light.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zopotantor posted:

It also made me like cinnamon way more than I did before reading it.
I started putting cinnamon in my coffee for the hell of it. Then I put in too much and now I have heartburn, which I assume is the first stage of my mutation into a navigator.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Wait till you start putting it in your oyster stew

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

Wait till you start putting it in your oyster stew

Madame!

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Dunes are pretty good for sledding, but the climb back up is a bitch.

At this point, I think a Dune Chalet is in order, Hollywood.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Mama Mia atsa spicy guild-a navigator

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

basic hitler posted:

Ideas of ice and fire is great but i wish the pool of dune artwork was bigger and better because when he starts using the concept art from Lynch's Dune and some of the edge cases on fan art it just seems like yikes was that the best he could find? I like his videos especially his insights and coverage but daaang the images he shows can be really bad

The Bene Tleilaaxu one cycled through every single possible hit in GIS

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Make sure they're not over done!

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

At work today lot of people wearing Christmas sweaters. Very much wish I had the talent to design a "the Christmas spice must flow" shirt with little sandworms and house atreides emblems....

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Crazyweasel posted:

At work today lot of people wearing Christmas sweaters. Very much wish I had the talent to design a "the Christmas spice must flow" shirt with little sandworms and house atreides emblems....

I will pay absurd amounts of money for this. When it happens. BECAUSE IT MUST

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

is the Microsoft Zune a "thinking machine?"

if not then the dune thread should be the zune zone, loaded with them sick sting/police and brian eno songs

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
You, sir, have forgotten Toto as well :colbert:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Toto? I don't think we're in Caladan anymore....

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Is the turning into a reptilian thing really just from spice exposure? We see lots of people do a fuckload of spice, and the most that happens to them is they become a worm-person and that isn’t even because of the spice they did.

Like, wouldn’t there be talk of elder Fremen and Reverend Mothers looking kind of like ayy lmao aliens?

At the very least, Paolo would turn into a navigator after doing Lord Cybertrex’s super spice, right?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Is the turning into a reptilian thing really just from spice exposure? We see lots of people do a fuckload of spice, and the most that happens to them is they become a worm-person and that isn’t even because of the spice they did.

Like, wouldn’t there be talk of elder Fremen and Reverend Mothers looking kind of like ayy lmao aliens?

At the very least, Paolo would turn into a navigator after doing Lord Cybertrex’s super spice, right?

I mean, tne navigators don't just eat it, the literally live in it. Besides, I thought only particular people could become navigators, even with the mega spice exposure.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Murray Mantoinette posted:

You, sir, have forgotten Toto as well :colbert:

i bless the rains down in arrakeen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hold the line. Paul's not always on time.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Yeah the Navigators like live in a big tank of spice gas, and there may be other stuff going on. The main thing with the spice is that it is good for you but then if you stop taking it you croak. So basically you have to eat wealth to merely survive, just like ((insert your favorite here))