Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
Is retardation a sandwich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
we are all sandwiches

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

sneakyfrog posted:

we are all sandwiches

I’m a burrito.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
also a sandwich

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

sneakyfrog posted:

also a sandwich

The best sandwich if rolled properly.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:smuggo::respek::frog:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What in rerardation is going on in here?
:clint:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
retardnation

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

retardnation

:911:

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I think if you say something and another person tells you it's offensive, you should stop saying that thing and apologize for offending that person.

Also, if someone says something that's offensive to you, you have every right(duty?) to tell that person how you feel.

99% of the time, this will result in both parties feeling better about the circumstance. The person who said the offensive thing knows to be more considerate, and the person who was offended now feels less uncomfortable and was able to right a social situation that might no have been addressed otherwise.

All of this is good for society.

~namaste~

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think announcing that u feel mega-empathy based on what words you get upset at the most is... well, i don't know what it is, but i think it's closer to sympathy since your belief in the absolute evil of a term means that to you it has absolute power over the 'victim' or 'intended recipient of ridicule'. like there is no context in which a black fella wouldn't or shouldn't be offended by the use of the n word. it's downright naive. like sure, don't say retard, but don't pretend that ur attempts to rightfully be socially active in moving modern speech in good directions, the literal least one could do, has pitted you as the good boys and girls against all the evil sociopaths of the world, who are just /incapable/ of feeling empathy. people are dumber than they are evil, and i think drawing a line at "they said retard" is setting u up for an uphill battle u can't win.

tl;dr it's real easy for real, effective sociopaths (opposed to ur racist grandpa) to just not say (or say) retard or the n word or dune coon or whatever u aren't setting urself apart as much as you think

Rad-daddio posted:

I think if you say something and another person tells you it's offensive, you should stop saying that thing and apologize for offending that person.

Also, if someone says something that's offensive to you, you have every right(duty?) to tell that person how you feel.

99% of the time, this will result in both parties feeling better about the circumstance. The person who said the offensive thing knows to be more considerate, and the person who was offended now feels less uncomfortable and was able to right a social situation that might no have been addressed otherwise.

~namaste~

yeah

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Rad-daddio posted:

~namaste~
That’s retarded. Seriously, if you back off and apologize every time any moron feels offended by something you said you will soon find out that there is no end to what will offend some people. gently caress that poo poo, at least before you drop an opinion for being “offensive”, examine it and see if the offense is at least somewhat relatable instead of complete bullshit.

In other words, your post is offensive to me. Now apologize.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

HerStuddMuffin posted:

That’s retarded. Seriously, if you back off and apologize every time any moron feels offended by something you said you will soon find out that there is no end to what will offend some people. gently caress that poo poo, at least before you drop an opinion for being “offensive”, examine it and see if the offense is at least somewhat relatable instead of complete bullshit.

In other words, your post is offensive to me. Now apologize.

your post is offensive to me. Now apologize

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

all posts are offensive to me. everyone apologize

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

RFC2324 posted:

all posts are offensive to me. everyone apologize

I'm sorry

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
You fellas sure seem to love using the word retard as an insult. Even if people tell you it’s offensive for whatever reason, nope, you’re going to keep on using it. I am curious why it’s such a big deal to cling to it? Have all the other insults you liked to use been rendered too offensive for even you to use, so now you don’t want to let go of one of the few bigoted terms you’ve got left?

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Yeah seems like a pretty retarded hill to die on, imo.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Not saying a word seems pretty easy guys

Do you know how many other words there are in the English language? There are, like, dozens of them

quote:

I like women's shoes. I sometimes go for walks in empty places at 3-4 AM while wearing high heels.

I was only seen once.

I'm actually pretty jealous that I can't just do it as a casual normal thing and instead need to do weird stupid poo poo at 3 am. They feel great.

I do have a weird gait though I guess. The tips of the heels wear down unevenly and pretty quickly. The wear is disproportionately slanting outwards. This makes the shoes really difficult to walk in since you don't even have the flat surface on the heel tip. Just passively standing still will cause your ankles to splay outwards if you don't resist it.

I don't really have a response to this one, it's too early

Pretty traditional anonymous confession really

quote:

I spotted myself in the "weird poo poo you ex did" GBS thread. I'd assumed she simply switched to lurking like I did. (On my end, I moved to lurking, then took a long break when D&D was run by libertarians who were very insistent on saying the n-word. Came back after the election expecting them to have gone full accelerationist but instead found a D&D where nick mullen is head of the DSA PS there's a fyad version of D&D now).

Maybe I should jump in and say "my ex posted about how weird and goony I am online then immediately pretended to pocket dial me in 2018, a decade into a world where phones have no buttons".

PS: I may have had a little to drink :cheers:

Tbf my smartphone has done weird poo poo in my pocket but mostly it's been "accidentally open my text convo with someone I've texted recently and type a bunch of gibberish into it, then don't send it", not "call my ex"

Anyway C-SPAM is way better than D&D because D&D is full of pedantry

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

therattle posted:

You fellas sure seem to love using the word retard as an insult. Even if people tell you it’s offensive for whatever reason, nope, you’re going to keep on using it. I am curious why it’s such a big deal to cling to it? Have all the other insults you liked to use been rendered too offensive for even you to use, so now you don’t want to let go of one of the few bigoted terms you’ve got left?

I think it’s more that in general, gendered slurs and racial slurs and homophobic slurs are far more likely to hurt the feelings of the people you interact with in your life. Very, very few people are gonna come in contact with mentally retarded persons in their day to day, and even fewer still are gonna hang out with/work with/live with those people.

Basically, I say retarded because the actual only people in my entire world that get offended by it are SA forums posters.

I just feel like the Venn diagram window of “people who find the term offensive” and “people who are differently abled but cognitively able to understand the insult and take offense to it” is probably a lot smaller than the number of black people, gay people, and women in your day to day.

Ive also had real conversations with minorities and women about how those words affect them. My special needs students aren’t as fragile as people think they are and they don’t mind that word and are way more concerned about being called the F-Word or the N-Word.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 17, 2018

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Also it’s positive reinforcement, you say it and people get upset, bingo! It had the effect you wanted (even if the person getting upset wasn’t the target).

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it’s more that in general, gendered slurs and racial slurs and homophobic slurs are far more likely to hurt the feelings of the people you interact with in your life. Very, very few people are gonna come in contact with mentally retarded persons in their day to day, and even fewer still are gonna hang out with/work with/live with those people.

Basically, I say retarded because the actual only people in my entire world that get offended by it are SA forums posters.

I just feel like the Venn diagram window of “people who find the term offensive” and “people who are differently abled but cognitively able to understand the insult and take offense to it” is probably a lot smaller than the number of black people, gay people, and women in your day to day.

Ive also had real conversations with minorities and women about how those words affect them. My special needs students aren’t as fragile as people think they are and they don’t mind that word and are way more concerned about being called the F-Word or the N-Word.

Yeah, that's why it's ok for straight white dudes to call people the N-word and the F-word, because they don't hang out with gay people or black people! I seldom interact with Vietnamese people, guess I better pull a John McCain! It's ok, because I have a minority friend!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I think it's only fair we ban all mean spirited words and "curse words"

What's the point of them anyway? They just bring evil into the world and make people unhappy and sad. God wants us to make the world a better place and we can all start by cleaning out our vocabularies I think!

Please upvote

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Let's keep talking about this for a real long time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Piell posted:

Yeah, that's why it's ok for straight white dudes to call people the N-word and the F-word, because they don't hang out with gay people or black people! I seldom interact with Vietnamese people, guess I better pull a John McCain! It's ok, because I have a minority friend!

All slurs are not the same and comparing the plights of women and minority races to mentally disabled people is weird, IMO

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

loquacius posted:

Tbf my smartphone has done weird poo poo in my pocket but mostly it's been "accidentally open my text convo with someone I've texted recently and type a bunch of gibberish into it, then don't send it", not "call my ex"

My phone is usually locked but active when it does pocket poo poo. The gibberish goes into the emergency dialer (lol). If I had any ICE contacts set up it seems plausible to pocket dial them.

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.
It is like I took a mentally handicapped time machine trip back to GBS 1.0.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm gay

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Pm me when there's some more confessions please, op.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m a burrito.

Speaking of, did The League make a compelling case for the acceptable use of “frittata” or not?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Still only got the one fesh, but it's adultery goon again:

quote:

Married goon here.

Things have been the exact same. This is my life. I have a strangely happy marriage now, and a loving hot mistress that wants nothing to do with anyone but me. I tried to tell her that it's okay if she sees other guys. It's only fair. She insists that she wants to be monogamous with me, even though I'm sleeping with my wife all the time now.

I'd originally thought that my relationship with her would've been the breaking point for my ailing marriage. I mean, my marriage wasn't totally bad. It was just starting to get to be too much of a routine and I was getting antsy for change. Now, I cheated on my wife and we're closer than ever. I really hope she never finds out that I've been sleeping with hot office girl the whole time. That would really suck for her and she doesn't deserve that.

I've noticed something concerning, though. My wife is drinking a lot more than she used to. Before hot office girl and her became friends, she'd occasionally drink a glass of wine or have a mixed drink. Now, she's drinking every night, sometimes to the point of visible intoxication. Hot office girl is in AA, and never drinks due to her past troubles with alcohol. I'm probably just being paranoid, but it seems like hot office girl is purposely getting my wife drunk. If that is the case, I can't think of a reason why she'd do that. She's already thoroughly inserted herself into mine and my family's life.

At any rate, hot office girl is going to be over at my house during the holidays. Thanksgiving turned out to be pretty tame. But, my in laws already made some snide comments about how I shouldn't be spending so much time with my hot, younger co worker. It's not like I can help it, she and my wife are together all the time it seems like.

Surrogate-family theory still looking likely, but I dunno what the drinking thing means exactly unless she knows and is just, like, not saying anything???

At any rate this sounds like it is shaping up to be a psychological thriller of some sort

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
she's going to get your wife drunk and sleep with her, then try to maneuver into a threesome, then a three way relationship.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dude gets more action with his wife while cheating with hot office girl than I get just being married with no infidelity.

What’s the world coming to.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

Still only got the one fesh, but it's adultery goon again:

Surrogate-family theory still looking likely, but I dunno what the drinking thing means exactly unless she knows and is just, like, not saying anything???

At any rate this sounds like it is shaping up to be a psychological thriller of some sort

Dude is going to end up on one of those crime shows my wife can't get enough of

Forensic Files

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Married cheater goon needs a boiled rabbit smilie.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
lol that she's got him fooled hes the only one l m a o

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

When the blackmail finally starts it's gonna hit this dude harder than when Hitler betrayed Stalin.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The wife knows about their affair and has convinced herself he's become a better man because of it. She copes with that by drinking excessively.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Leavemywife posted:

The wife knows about their affair and has convinced herself he's become a better man because of it. She copes with that by drinking excessively.

:hmmyes:

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.
She is clearly having separate affairs with the husband and the wife and is gleefully keeping it secret from each of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Slim loving pickings in the fesh thread this holiday season

I read an article earlier about families breaking apart because of those dumb DNA tests, where's all that juicy goodness?