Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Angry_Ed posted:

"Well Libya, sorry that your Arab Spring revolution failed, but we couldn't help you despite the rebels and the Arab League asking the United Nations to do something to prevent civilians from getting mulched by a dictator. See because he gave up his nukes, he's "one of the good dictators" " - SECSTATE Lightning Knight, 2011.

Seriously, your problem is Libya?

Pretend I posted the British government’s own analysis that determined NATO completely misread the situation in Libya and massively hosed up when we intervened.

Interventionism is trash. Stop making murderers of American children and slaughtering the global poor to satisfy our pathological need to be the “heroes” of this story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Angry_Ed posted:

I'm sure all the dead Kurds would agree with you if they weren't dead by the hands of Turkish soldiers who we are selling weapons to right now and are preparing to attack the Kurds as soon as we leave holy poo poo how are you this dense.

cool, that's the way its gonna be as long as erdogan is in power. what are we gonna do, occupy kurdistan forever?

the US cannot protect everyone everywhere and i would argue that for all the good its doing the kurds, the occupations are still overall worse for the region

i'm not saying "don't bother helping," i'm saying "don't let that stop us from doing the right thing and ending the wars"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
pictured: a treacherous sonofabitch advocating we abandon our allies in the critical fight against the Russian menace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucY7JOfg6G4

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

No, it is not.

In Syria anyway. Trump's also going to gently caress up the Afghanistan withdrawal and cause unnecessary deaths, so you're still technically wrong there, but there's no plausible path to unfucking the situation so whatever, enjoy your return to a theocratic shithole guys.

You can't spread democracy with the barrel of a gun. i can't believe I'm saying this unironically again.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

VideoGameVet posted:

Ex Boss posted this on FB:

Trump should build his Wall out of Hillary’s emails since no one can seem to get over them.

A good boss, he can avoid the lamppost.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
The only thing about Cotton that would not be absolutely terrible is that he wouldn't go to war with North Korea now since they have nukes

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

the cognitive dissonance of applauding isolationism at any price (even the immediate, preventable death of hundreds of thousands) while complaining about endless wars is... something!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A good boss, he can avoid the lamppost.

Lifetime Democrat.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So why didn't you loving stick around and do something about it you coward

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

its wonderful to know that the correct solution to ending middle east intervention is to suddenly announce withdrawing troops on twitter without preparing at all (or even asking your military to develop plans to you know, actually withdraw the troops) solely because a dictator wants to kill off your allies and you're pesky soldiers are in the way.

but, hundreds of thousands of dead civilians is worst the price to withdraw our massive occupying force of 2,000 soldiers

isolationism at any price!

are we going to start talking about autarky again too?

I guess if the choice is an incompetent removal and a "removal when the conditions are *good" I'll go with the former because the latter doesn't exist.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

but, hundreds of thousands of dead civilians is worst the price to withdraw our massive occupying force of 2,000 soldiers

Americans have a long history of leaving their kurdish proxies to fend for themselves, notably after the first gulf war.

Maybe if you don't want your collaborators and native informers slaughtered don't go around the world backing one side of a sectarian conflict over another?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/1075915210777640965

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Giggy posted:

I guess if the choice is an incompetent removal and a "removal when the conditions are *good" I'll go with the former because the latter doesn't exist.

do you agree that's a difference between iraq and 2,000 troops in syria?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Giggy posted:

You can't spread democracy with the barrel of a gun. i can't believe I'm saying this unironically again.

he believes we need to put boots on the ground in Venezuela to end the communist menace to Plucky Little Bolsarono, so that might not be an angle he's particularly receptive to

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Notice how the usual liberal warhawks won't even bother trying to defend Libya now that their principled, humanitarian intervention caused the country to turn into an open air slave/organ market.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

do you agree that's a difference between iraq and 2,000 troops in syria?

There should be zero American troops in the Middle East.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lol Pevin how did you get that addendum to your avatar? I want to hear that story. :allears:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Guys this sudden military decision will the one thing that Trump doesn't gently caress up spectacularly, trust me on this. If you disagree with that I guess you love the military and want to marry it.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Notice how the usual liberal warhawks won't even bother trying to defend Libya now that their principled, humanitarian intervention caused the country to turn into an open air slave/organ market.

simple question:

asking your secretary of defense to prepare a plan to withdraw soldiers before announcing you're withdrawing is...

a. a good idea
b. a bad idea

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
UHHHHHHHHH

https://twitter.com/KatrinaPierson/status/1075906568007360512

UHHHHHHHH

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Guys this sudden military decision will the one thing that Trump doesn't gently caress up spectacularly, trust me on this. If you disagree with that I guess you love the military and want to marry it.

nobody's questioning he'll gently caress it up spectacularly, rest your head on that one.

it is cute as hell watching people who ~hypothetically~ are against forever wars recoiling in shock and horror that it looks like someone might actually grant them their wish

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilmiera posted:

Exactly. There hasn't been a thing he has managed to do that has not either been pointless or completely hosed up in its execution.

That's pretty much my feelings. poo poo is going to get very bad when we leave because President Deals is going to somehow manage to do it in the worst way possible.

Like I half expect Mr "We should have taken Iraq's oil" to try and order the troops to loot poo poo as they leave.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

technically true

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

VideoGameVet posted:

Ex Boss posted this on FB:

Trump should build his Wall out of Hillary’s emails since no one can seem to get over them.

I'm stealing this. Tell your ex-boss thanks.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

I don't think any president would be able to withdraw our troops from the ME without loving it up.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

nobody's questioning he'll gently caress it up spectacularly, rest your head on that one.

it is cute as hell watching people who ~hypothetically~ are against forever wars recoiling in shock and horror that it looks like someone might actually grant them their wish

LOL if you think that being worried about how big a fuckup Trump will be means they aren't against war.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

*Yelling at grave* WHY DID YOU FRAME TRUMP YOU RINO

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Giggy posted:

I don't think any president would be able to withdraw our troops from the ME without loving it up.

I would imagine probably some basic ways to not gently caress it up would include things like 'informing your military before announcing it on twitter'

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

simple question:

asking your secretary of defense to prepare a plan to withdraw soldiers before announcing you're withdrawing is...

a. a good idea
b. a bad idea

Simple question: are the organ and slave markets worth the liberal feel good intervention?

I would imagine probably some basic ways to not gently caress it up would include things like 'informing your military before announcing it on twitter'

You reach the vietnam-era of peak democratic stupidity. Liberals argued that there was no good time to ever stop bombing north vietnam or aiding the RVN because it would cause more bloodshed lmao.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

All of this kind of feels like Trump's really rushing to deliver on some Russian priorities just before the new congress gets in. In the last 72 hours:

-Russian base in Venezuela
-Deripaska companies sanctions lifted
-Mattis pushed out
-Troops being pulled from Syria
-Troops possibly being pulled from Afghanistan

I mean that's basically the biggest Christmas gift to Putin ever

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The Bullet Farmer has really bad brain worms.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

your response to me saying 'wow trump is doing this in a horrible way that will kill hundreds of thousands of people!' is to start talking about american military intervention in the 1980s. again, even if you agree that we should withdraw from syria, this is the worst way possible to do so

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1075897622223880193

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Simple question: are the organ and slave markets worth the liberal feel good intervention?

You reach the vietnam-era of peak democratic stupidity. Liberals argued that there was no good time to ever stop bombing north vietnam or aiding the RVN because it would cause more bloodshed lmao.

I would encourage you to read and respond to posts, but...

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

What difference does it make how he announced it? The military doesn't want us to leave and when I talk about gently caress up I mean logistical fuckup the military does every day.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Yeah, that’s a lot more understandable for being livid about.

She should go to Hell and ask him.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
It's almost as if there was no good possible outcome in many of these situations yet our I'll conceived, poorly executed military action made things worse and will make things worse again when we leave.

I actually do think the US should keep a leadership role in being the "world police" though we should radically change the way we approach it.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

your response to me saying 'wow trump is doing this in a horrible way that will kill hundreds of thousands of people!' is to start talking about american military intervention in the 1980s.

there is no way it wouldn't cause the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people, that butcher's bill was going to come due sooner or later.

let's pretend trump phases the troop withdrawal out in 18 months, what's the difference other than turkey bides its time before they unleash their firepower on the kurds?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Giggy posted:

What difference does it make how he announced it? The military doesn't want us to leave and when I talk about gently caress up I mean logistical fuckup the military does every day.

if you're serious about changing us military policy you should probably do what you can to prevent your political and military infrastructure from coming out and calling you a loving moron, repeatedly, over and over.

you should probably let your allies know beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

How the gently caress do these people feed themselves every day, holy poo poo