Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

it is one of the most bitterly loving hilarious pieces of america's thirty-year run as unrivaled hegemon that we have, despite ourselves, provided the world with a clear and unambiguous moral to the story.

"Trust in America, and you lose. There are no exceptions."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lycus posted:

Cloture is 3/5 of total sitting, not of those present.

So if the Senate just says "gently caress it we aren't coming back for this dumbass crap," do we just go into automatic shutdown till after New Years?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Teddybear posted:

Now, is it 60 outright? Or is it 3/5ths of those present? Because the Senate is having the same problems with folks going home/leaving DC as the House is.

It's 3/5 but I'm sure both sides will drag everyone back kicking and screaming if they are really trying to get it done.

Edit: Nope, cloture is 3/5 of the entire Senate regardless of the quorum lol.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 21, 2018

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Lycus posted:

Cloture is 3/5 of total sitting, not of those present.

So, who IS present?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

skylined! posted:

My neighbor is in the army as intel and just got back from Afghanistan after a six month deployment and he basically went pale after trumps announcement and mattis resignation. He is of the opinion that many afghanis he has worked with are going to be slaughtered.

He enlisted right after 9/11 and has done like 9 tours. So there’s that.

You would think after the hmong getting slow motion genocided after vietnam and the kurds getting gassed that people around the world would think twice before collaborating with the united states, but hey.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
I hear the President is 3/4ths Manchurian

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean thats at least a positive.

It's the trolley problem, but with a complete rear end in a top hat at the switch so you don't feel bad about him getting savaged for his choice.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

You would think after the hmong getting slow motion genocided after vietnam and the kurds getting gassed that people around the world would think twice before collaborating with the united states, but hey.

i guess they thought it was better then living under dipshit theocratic clowns who commit cultural genocide and run a goverment somehow shittier then us.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i guess they thought it was better then living under dipshit theocratic clowns who commit cultural genocide and run a goverment somehow shittier then us.

I thought we basically supported a Catholic theocracy in S. Vietnam?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Would an American withdraw from South Korea materially affect things? We have 50,000 troops there last I checked, while South Korea has a much larger force that is capable of fighting NK on its own if need be, and relations between the Koreas have marginally improved since Trump took office, since he's too incompetent to meddle properly. I'm sure it would look bad but it's not clear to me it would actually be bad in the long term for Korea.

The result would probably a three way nuclear arms race between the ROK, PRC and Japan, so I'm going to say that would be bad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Giggy posted:

least we had the decency to have/let those fuckheads get capped. too bad it was basically military psychos after that.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

I really tried to think of a country we did nation building on post war for the joke but all I could think of was MAYBE if you're insanely loose with the term I guess Japan and even then their post war miracle was entirely despite us.

You never heard of the Marshal Plan that rebuilt western Europe?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

Would an American withdraw from South Korea materially affect things? We have 50,000 troops there last I checked, while South Korea has a much larger force that is capable of fighting NK on its own if need be, and relations between the Koreas have marginally improved since Trump took office, since he's too incompetent to meddle properly. I'm sure it would look bad but it's not clear to me it would actually be bad in the long term for Korea.

best part is you know trump will do it, because gently caress it he needs some kinda "win".

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Giggy posted:

I think he's talking about the middle east.

The hilarious part is that the RVN persecuted the gently caress out of the degar people whenever they could, peace loving democrats indeed

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

yea it'd suck if that thing south korea wants happened, we gotta show those savages who's boss

Large majority of S. Koreans want American soldiers to stay.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Charlz Guybon posted:

You never heard of the Marshal Plan that rebuilt western Europe?

Yeah the Marshal Plan was kind of a huge thing to leave out of that statement.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wonder how many senators are still around / can be dragged back in time. (Reminder about Corker's comments earlier from the long ago time of This Afternoon about not taking returning for a vote seriously.) As pointed out even if everyone isn't there 60 is still the threshold and, well, that's a lot of everyone isn't there!!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

I think he's talking about the middle east.

The hilarious part is that the RVN persecuted the gently caress out of the degar people whenever they could, peace loving democrats indeed

they were just as bad if not worse then the NVA. we should have never gotten involved with nam. gently caress Eisenhower for believing in the domino bullshit and Kennedy for following up on it.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So Mattis believes that Trump is betraying an ally, and the best we get is a strongly worded resignation letter. It's going to be decorum all the way down as the country burns. Maybe Mattis will surprise me and give some interviews to explicitly call Trump a senile traitor.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they were just as bad if not worse then the NVA. we should have never gotten involved with nam. gently caress Eisenhower for believing in the domino bullshit and Kennedy for following up on it.

Yes, yes, that intervention was bad, but this current one in _____________________________, it is so good

-American liberals

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

mcmagic posted:

If bad poo poo happens because Mattis leaves, thats ok. We deserve it. We're an unreliable and insane electorate who are getting the government we deserve.

I hate this loving attitude. The electorate expressly did not give us trump, or W. It didn’t give us the Tea Party either, our broken rear end electoral system did.

The crisis in America is not too much democracy, it’s not enough.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Dapper_Swindler posted:

we don't even know if he is gonna withdrawl from afganistan yet outside mumbling from the people. either way he will gently caress it up.

i mean thats at least a positive.

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1075916473518972929?s=21

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

I agree tbh. South Korea has agency, they have a meaningful standing military, they're much closer to China than we are geographically as it is. If they decide they want to be unaligned or buddies with China, whatever man. We don't need to control everything like it's fuckin' Crusader Kings guys.

Yeah, well they don't want to be forced to kowtow to Beijing like it's the middle ages so if the American umbrella is removed they will go nuclear.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Wow he totally ended the forever war. Donald the dove.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Charlz Guybon posted:

The result would probably a three way nuclear arms race between the ROK, PRC and Japan, so I'm going to say that would be bad.

I'm not convinced that the people of South Korea and Japan would actually let this happen, especially the latter, and China already has nukes.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yeah, well they don't want to be forced to kowtow to Beijing like it's the middle ages so if the American umbrella is removed they will go nuclear.

:shrug: I don't want American empire to keep existing, nor do I want them to kowtow to our lovely government instead.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

best part is you know trump will do it, because gently caress it he needs some kinda "win".

I don't think he'd perceive this as a win since it wouldn't make him look strong against North Korea.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

So Mattis believes that Trump is betraying an ally, and the best we get is a strongly worded resignation letter. It's going to be decorum all the way down as the country burns. Maybe Mattis will surprise me and give some interviews to explicitly call Trump a senile traitor.

nah, that was a pretty big gently caress you of a letter. if that were decorum, there would be alot more asskissing and some garbage about "honor".

well that seems like slightly less of cluster gently caress then a total withdraw in 60 days.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think he'd perceive this as a win since it wouldn't make him look strong against North Korea.

he is a legit simpleton who believes kim is his best loving friend because he whispered some poo poo about hotels in his ear. he would believe he is helping his friend.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Jaxyon posted:

Well until he starts another one in the hopes of upping his approval ratings.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Beaten

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 21, 2018

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

https://twitter.com/CraigCaplan/status/1075918498554101760

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/422402-schumer-house-passed-border-wall-bill-dead-in-the-senate

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jaxyon posted:

Half is better than no withdrawals but Donald Trump continues to be incapable of executing even the policies of his that aren't aggressively self-destructive.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

well, probably a good first step would be to have a very clear conversation with edrogan and the kurds prior to any announcement to try to make clear what regional expectations are

encourage kurdish immigration would be a good option as well

clear conversation about what?

like, what are we gonna do when he laughs us out of the room? invade turkey? loving lol.

turkey's already in nato, and in the process of joining the eu, they already have everything they want. are we gonna sanction our ally? the same one we let's security forces break up protests in the US?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LraNlv__AU4

like, what do you think happens when you lose a war? poo poo gets incredibly hosed up and its all our fault. we can't just "make everything cool before we go" cuz that would have been us winning the war in the first loving place.

so the only other solution is indefinite occupation in hopes we can keep the situation frozen in time in hopes of a miracle cure somewhere down the road. its loving pathetic and i say gently caress that, end the wars right loving now and own our mistakes. let it reflect poorly on us and be an inescapable tragedy so that we and others can learn how loving stupid getting involved in those wars was in the first place

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Didn't Nancy 'expert vote-counter' Pelosi say they didn't have the votes for this? Are people just voting because they know it won't pass the Senate?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

We've got great borders. They call it Misak-i-Milli. The best borders.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm not convinced that the people of South Korea and Japan would actually let this happen, especially the latter, and China already has nukes.

It would absolutely happen, as much as americans want to feverishly dream that the Koreans hate the Chinese with a frothing passion the most recent outrage D&D posters could dredge up against the korean people happened in the 17th century.

Meanwhile the war crimes and occupation by Japan comparatively happened yesterday.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Arturo Ui posted:

Didn't Nancy 'expert vote-counter' Pelosi say they didn't have the votes for this? Are people just voting because they know it won't pass the Senate?

Yes.

It's turned into a totally symbolic farewell vote for the GOP house.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Pelosi doing her part and delivering 0 yes votes from her caucus.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I wonder what the iconic photo of Kabul falling will be.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Arturo Ui posted:

It won’t pass the Senate with border wall money. Any Trump friendly bill that makes it out of the House dies in the Senate.

Although, it all depends on Schumer actually keeping his spine intact and not selling CR votes for a pack of gum or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

It would absolutely happen, as much as americans want to feverishly dream that the Koreans hate the Chinese with a frothing passion the most recent outrage D&D posters could dredge up against the korean people happened in the 17th century.

Meanwhile the war crimes and occupation by Japan comparatively happened yesterday.

I mean, nuclear proliferation is bad, but I don't think it should be our job to use American hard power to enforce nuclear non-proliferation across the planet. The cat is out of the bag, the post-war order is crumbling and arguably was dead in the water when 9/11 happened. It's not a question of "should we dismantle the post-war order," it's "what do we replace it with?"