Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Almost off topic, but I never realized that Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario All-Stars were only 3 years apart, yet it's still one of the best remakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
https://twitter.com/SixersScience/status/1074542421390868480?s=19

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
It’s amazing to me how many of these examples are people thinking you need graphs to catalog information, and not that you should only use the graph if it clearly conveys the information visually.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Someone didn't play Super Mario 3.

That's the king of Water Land. In Mario 3 Peach is the ruler of the Commonwealth. It's like if Australia had its own king who was subordinate to Elizabeth.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

:psyduck:

if you're deadset on making your chart 3d why not at least do it like this

i hate this so much, why not just use a loving table?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Someone didn't play Super Mario 3.

Mario 3 was a stage play and doesn't actually matter canonically. :colbert:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

the thread is loving great

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

"Defense positions are assigned via hierarchical clustering, then weighted against luck-adjusted defensive plus-minus ratings that have undergone an 'Elastic Net' regularization."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

the thread is loving great

Terrible bored-at-work nerd thoughts about this:

1) Mario's canonical surname is "Mario," right? Are we sure that Dr. Mario isn't just a relative with the same surname? Mario's well-to-do cousin Dr. Lucio Mario or something.

2. Why is Lucas in the bourgeoisie? His dad is a small-time rancher who spends the first chunk of the game living in an idyllic village with a barter economy, then spends the rest being oppressed by the government, and Lucas has a manual-labor job for a while. That's peasantry for sure.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Antivehicular posted:

1) Mario's canonical surname is "Mario," right? Are we sure that Dr. Mario isn't just a relative with the same surname? Mario's well-to-do cousin Dr. Lucio Mario or something.

2. Why is Lucas in the bourgeoisie? His dad is a small-time rancher who spends the first chunk of the game living in an idyllic village with a barter economy, then spends the rest being oppressed by the government, and Lucas has a manual-labor job for a while. That's peasantry for sure.

https://twitter.com/katietiedrich/status/1075552753387225089

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vorpal Cat posted:

As far as we know she could just as easily be regent of the mushroom kingdom while the actual monarch is unavailable do to unstated reasons. Which would make her the ruler of the mushroom kingdom while still being a princess.
Do we even know if the Mushroom Kingdom is an actual monarchy, or is it just a ceremonial role and they have a PM as their head of government?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Antivehicular posted:

Dr. Mario also has a Nurse Peach, so we seem to be dealing with an alternate universe situation.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Do we even know if the Mushroom Kingdom is an actual monarchy, or is it just a ceremonial role and they have a PM as their head of government?

I'd assume the Mushroom Kingdom is an actual monarchy, because Mario is a known violent monarchist who would personally stomp thousands to death if someone should even merely threaten a member of the royal family. He wouldn't be so overwhelmingly blood thirsty in his pursuit of Princess Toadstool if the Mushroom Kingdom had a republican style of government with a figurehead royal family.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

He might just be thirsty tho

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Phanatic posted:

"Defense positions are assigned via hierarchical clustering, then weighted against luck-adjusted defensive plus-minus ratings that have undergone an 'Elastic Net' regularization."

Yes, and?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Pac Man is a proud member of the proletariat, and a stalwart ally in the people's revolution.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I am absolutely going to start calling the real Samus "One Suit Samus".

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

That's the king of Water Land. In Mario 3 Peach is the ruler of the Commonwealth. It's like if Australia had its own king who was subordinate to Elizabeth.

Weeps aboriginally

(We have or had, in a lot of cases, tribal kings)

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Katie Tiedrich draws the awkward zombie webcomic which is mostly (entirely?) jokes and observations about video games so I guess it's not surprising. I remember really enjoying her stuff.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

mobby_6kl posted:

I can't wait for the new Nintendo series, Super Parlimentary Procedural Squabbling. Mash X to fillibuster Waluigi's dastardly tax cut proposals

E: okay yes on further consideration i would 100% play that please return my calls Miyamoto

Angepain has a new favorite as of 02:05 on Dec 21, 2018

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Angepain posted:

I can't wait for the new Nintendo series, Super Parlimentary Procedural Squabbling. Mash X to fillibuster Waluigi's dastardly tax cut proposals

E: okay yes on further consideration i would 100% play that please return my calls Miyamoto

Miyamoto has made games based on his hobbies before, Pikmin came about after he got into gardening, Nintendogs was made after he got a puppy and Wii Fit was made after he decided to be more active. Someone send him tons of recordings of various legislative branches meeting.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Don Gato posted:

Miyamoto has made games based on his hobbies before, Pikmin came about after he got into gardening, Nintendogs was made after he got a puppy and Wii Fit was made after he decided to be more active. Someone send him tons of recordings of various legislative branches meeting.

Orrrrr send him videos of hardcore cock n ball torture.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Dr. Mario Prescribes CBT

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Dr. Mario Prescribes CBT

It's identical but it's just called Sounding Mario now

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Fathis Munk posted:

Katie Tiedrich draws the awkward zombie webcomic which is mostly (entirely?) jokes and observations about video games so I guess it's not surprising. I remember really enjoying her stuff.

It's good stuff! The twitter thread is just a continuation from the most recent Awkward Zombie strip.

edit: VVV Yeah, I get that. I have enough friends who seem to play all of those console-only games and tell me things about them (and answer questions when I say "what's going on in this comic"), so I end up with enough knowledge to get the jokes.

Vavrek has a new favorite as of 09:49 on Dec 21, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've tried to read her comics a few times, but it's mostly about console-only franchises I've never played, so it quickly gets boring for me

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

AnoHito posted:

Pac Man is a proud member of the proletariat, and a stalwart ally in the people's revolution.

Pac Man is a metaphor for ravenous consumption under capitalism. The only way to win is to own as many little dots as possible, with the big dots representing the militarized police state providing Pac Man unjust protection against the ghosts who are merely trying to keep what they own. The ghosts are the true proletariat heroes; the many protecting themselves from the rapacious greed of the strong, and when one falls, another rises.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

OutOfPrint posted:

Pac Man is a metaphor for ravenous consumption under capitalism. The only way to win is to own as many little dots as possible, with the big dots representing the militarized police state providing Pac Man unjust protection against the ghosts who are merely trying to keep what they own. The ghosts are the true proletariat heroes; the many protecting themselves from the rapacious greed of the strong, and when one falls, another rises.

There is no indication that the ghosts actually create any of the pellets, so they are more like the lumpenproletariat, an non-revolutionary but antagonistic underclass which can only act to irritate the capitalistic organism rather than to organize to surpass it. Their lack of coordination is further evidence of this.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

OutOfPrint posted:

He spends most of his day working at a job harvesting pellets, and is in a tough situation where food is to be considered a luxury. The ghosts are his capitalist overlords, attempting to thwart any attempts made at class mobility by the ambitious young part-circle by keeping him slaving away at his pointless menial job. The big pellets are the encouragement he needs to stand up to his bosses, the thing that they fear the most as it can easily destroy them.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
that's all well and good but why is divinity below royalty

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tetracube posted:

that's all well and good but why is divinity below royalty

Because Marth made the chart and he’s royal but not divine.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah same reason peasantry is below animals.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Somfin posted:

It's identical but it's just called Sounding Mario now

Whipping Mama

"Pick up the spatula."
"Now with a swinging motion..."

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

AnoHito posted:

He spends most of his day working at a job harvesting pellets, and is in a tough situation where food is to be considered a luxury. The ghosts are his capitalist overlords, attempting to thwart any attempts made at class mobility by the ambitious young part-circle by keeping him slaving away at his pointless menial job. The big pellets are the encouragement he needs to stand up to his bosses, the thing that they fear the most as it can easily destroy them.

Pac Man 2 clearly establishes that Pac Man lives in a comfortable house in the suburbs (shaped like his head) with his wife, 3 kids and a dog. He's probably some middle manager somewhere. He's bourgeoisie as hell.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What if pac-man is a committed but privileged party functionary, his revolutionary ideals battered down by years of bureaucratic drudgery?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Then he has become the tool of a degenerated gamers' state and must embrace the new revolution or be purged.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mods, ban this sick filth counter to both nature and revolution

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm