Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Frog Act posted:

Yeah I'm trying to do what I did with the Vampire Counts where I always had one or two armies with zombies and support units trailing my main army with my most chevron'd guys and RoR. I figured that'd be difficult at sea and I'd rely on just Harkon but I need the meat and extra slots in Harkon's army.

I just tried out animated hulks and they got owned pretty quickly compared to prometheans, but they were up against Ork big uns and Wolf Riders so it was less than ideal. Do you guys use them at all?

Hulks are complete garbage currently and not worth using. They are getting buffed in the next patch so maybe they will be good for something then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Panfilo posted:

Yeah they grow Barley on mountainsides (they they grind up with gravel to make bread that probably has the texture and durability of concrete) as well as goats. Though I assumed they drank so much beer that they probably didn't need to eat much on top of that.

In the fluff, dwarfs also raise pigs, sheep, and, in some holds with appropriate grazing, cattle. Wool, dairy, and meat.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Chakan posted:

I’m telling you guys, 7 handgunners, 7 polezombies, your lord, another caster, queen bess, and some rotting prometheans. 7 handgunners will melt anything.
You need to add a Gunnery Wright between Queen Bess and the handgunners. And then just use all of his reload charges on the Queen Bess.

The more i played Vampirates the more I cycled out my front line for more Handgunners. Even deckgunners felt worse than handgunners. Especially once you get the follower tech that adds 15% range and the other tech that adds another 10%. They outrange Elven archers at that point.

Just melt down everything before they even get to you. Hero, gunnery Wright, a few mortars+Bess, and the rest handgunners. Yes sir, that’s the army comp for me.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I assume you're checkerboarding said handgunners?

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
I like doing a scattershot layout with full Handgunner mob stacks where you just sort of haphazardly drop your dudes all over the place with psychotic amounts of overwatch fire. All your gunners will fire off at least one volley and then the un-engaged ones blow up whoever is getting tarpit by the 120-strong dead riflemen groups. You'll take a bunch of casualties in the process, but it's a non-problem between raise dead and the Ship recruitments and the trade value you get between the gunners vs whatever is being shot is almost universally a big gain.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

VSea stacks that are 50+% handgunners are a ton of fun until you need to siege some walls.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Mind you, if you don't have a gently caress-off huge battery of Mortars and/or Queen Bess as vampirates, you hosed up.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
How viable replacements do you guys think Necrofex are for carronades? They don't have the anti-large, but they seem to do well enough whittling down the big stuff while not having to worry about elevation and positioning.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

How viable replacements do you guys think Necrofex are for carronades? They don't have the anti-large, but they seem to do well enough whittling down the big stuff while not having to worry about elevation and positioning.

Carronades have the range advantage and therefore have some use for artillery duels, but Necrofexes are superior because of their elevation and manueverability. And they still have four cannons strapped to their arm so they have the same amount of shots, if not ammunition total.

Actually, at endgame I replace Mortars with Necrofexes because Mortars struggle against armored units. They can still kill with every shot.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Vargs posted:

VSea stacks that are 50+% handgunners are a ton of fun until you need to siege some walls.

Because zombies are considered low power, I never had this issue. Opponents regularly sallied forth with their garrison+nearly full stack and were promptly annihilated. I also never cared to acquire additional land, so I ended the game with just Sartosa and a bunch of pirate coves.

re:gunnery wight
I never needed one, but I can see why folks would feel more comfortable with it. Bess would run dry at the end of most battles, but it was kinda w/e.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

Necrofexes would consistently get more kills than Carronades in my experience, while being competent in melee and a lot easier to use. Might be worth using a single Carronade in armies that don't have a Bess just so you don't get outranged by enemy artillery, but once you can build Necrofexes I suggest replacing those cannons.

Honestly the anti-large on cannon-type artillery has always felt like a waste. They're loving trash at killing large compared to handguns. They have such a hard time repositioning to keep firing at flanking cavalry and they take about a hundred years to take down units like arachnaroks, mammoths, etc while gunpowder infantry delete them nearly instantly.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Frog Act posted:

I keep seeing people say they beat the Vampire Coast campaign in 90 turns and I'm here on turn 60 having barely consolidated two provinces and gotten my first piece of eight. I dunno why the AI always seems to field better armies than me early on, its always extra pronounced as a faction that relies on zombies until third or fourth tier buildings

ed: if you confederate and get the other Legendary Lords, do they also have their dope flagships?

VC can't confederate unfortunately. I learned this the hard way trying to be buddies with Harkon as Noctilus in my ME campaign and ended up having to betray him and take him out for the win condition.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vargs posted:

Necrofexes would consistently get more kills than Carronades in my experience, while being competent in melee and a lot easier to use. Might be worth using a single Carronade in armies that don't have a Bess just so you don't get outranged by enemy artillery, but once you can build Necrofexes I suggest replacing those cannons.

Honestly the anti-large on cannon-type artillery has always felt like a waste. They're loving trash at killing large compared to handguns. They have such a hard time repositioning to keep firing at flanking cavalry and they take about a hundred years to take down units like arachnaroks, mammoths, etc while gunpowder infantry delete them nearly instantly.

In campaign, I've found the best use of cannon artillery is counter battery fire for slower factions or armies. A carronade or a dwarf cannon battery can very easily snipe out enemy artillery without you having to bumrush the enemy line. Coast care a little less since they have a variety of flyers and scurvy dogs, but it's still a useful function if you don't want to devote army slots specifically to anti-artillery. Carronades are also pretty good at blowing up towers or knocking holes in walls during sieges if you don't want to commit to a 20 minute zombie mosh battle in the gateway.

As another fun tidbit, carronades are terrifying lord snipers if you've got Lore of the Deeps for Spiteful shot. It's really hilarious to watch Cylostra's starting carronades hit an enemy foot lord with every single shot until he dies without coming within bowshot of your army.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

deathbagel posted:

VC can't confederate unfortunately. I learned this the hard way trying to be buddies with Harkon as Noctilus in my ME campaign and ended up having to betray him and take him out for the win condition.

Aw man is there no way to have multiple LLs as them then? Or do you get them if you conquer them

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

All vampires are basically LLs in SFO. Super speed, super strength, super magic.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Aw man is there no way to have multiple LLs as them then? Or do you get them if you conquer them

The unique research admirals function as their LLs, but no you cannot get Cylostra as Harkon, for example

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rumor has it a lot of the DLC are on sale. I only the base WH:TW1 and WH:TW2 - what DLCs should I target first?

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Rumor has it a lot of the DLC are on sale. I only the base WH:TW1 and WH:TW2 - what DLCs should I target first?

The ones with races you want to play as. Personally I couldn't live without the king and the warlord, vampire pirates, and norsca. I'm also a huge fan of beastmen so they were a nice buy.

Most people say tomb kings are super cool and fun but I can't get into them at all.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Number one with a bullet: the blood mod.

I personally think the various Lord/unit packs are necessary because I don't like feeling like I'm missing out on the complete package, but that's just me. Like, I'd owned TWW2 for at least half a year without playing it because I was waiting for the Elf invasion.

Otherwise it's commonly held that you should just buy whichever races you really want to play as. If it's a value proposition, the Tomb Kings and VSea are considered the most content-rich, though only the former are on sale. Norsca's also really good and really cheap but I only played them in the first game and I hear they might have issues in the second? Chaos are the most boring DLC faction and while I really like playing Taliban as the Beastmen, they've got a really small roster, and missing some iconic units from TT.

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008

Chakan posted:

Bess would run dry at the end of most battles, but it was kinda w/e.

That's some grade "A" blasphemy. Bess should never run dry, unless she has more than 1000 kills. Then, and ONLY THEN, would it be acceptable.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

The only DLC I didn’t like was wood elf and chaos. And even then, I’m probably going to try a Durthu run soon because apparently you can rush the Sword of Khaine in the first 30 turns.

Wood Elves just have not fun campaign mechanics imo. Their units are cool though.

Get Tomb Kings and the other mini-DLCs on sale for WHII first. They’re all really good and TKs have way more content than any DLC other than pirates. Which you should also get but it’s not on sale so I understand waiting and playing other stuff in the meantime.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
TKs hands down was best DLC. Tons of variety in army comp for the campaign

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Well finally grabbed TW2 after getting TW1 and all the DLC a while back. Only put about 25 hours into it, but I absolutely love it. Super excited to check out Mortal Empires. The changes to settlements sound like a huge improvement over TW1.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I love all elf factions, undead of all kinds, savage beasts and noble knights but there really is something special, when an enemy first reach cannon and then organ gun range. Cavalry and infantry blocks turns into pieces of gore. They struggle on and enter the next line and the thunderers open fire: Hundreds of guns rip into the enemy , shooting through gaps that will let them have clear lines of fire for the entire melee while still protected by stalwart defenders. Still they struggle on, units breaking and wavering. And then the Iron Breakers throws the satchels and the symphony of cannon, gun and explosive is complete. :allears:

Then silence, a field filled with bodies, a thousand orcs and 10 lonely dwarfs, waiting to be carried to their family tombs. For the rest, the restoration of the Everlasting Realm continues.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Noir89 posted:

I love all elf factions, undead of all kinds, savage beasts and noble knights but there really is something special, when an enemy first reach cannon and then organ gun range. Cavalry and infantry blocks turns into pieces of gore. They struggle on and enter the next line and the thunderers open fire: Hundreds of guns rip into the enemy , shooting through gaps that will let them have clear lines of fire for the entire melee while still protected by stalwart defenders. Still they struggle on, units breaking and wavering. And then the Iron Breakers throws the satchels and the symphony of cannon, gun and explosive is complete. :allears:

Then silence, a field filled with bodies, a thousand orcs and 10 lonely dwarfs, waiting to be carried to their family tombs. For the rest, the restoration of the Everlasting Realm continues.

:black101::black101::black101:

Spoken like a true dawi hero

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i've been having a loving blast in this very hard/very hard alith anar campaign. Shadow Walkers are loving ridiculous and honestly i should stack even more of them than the 7 i have in my main stack. part of me wonders if the Shadow Warriors are better at 60 models despite their lower stats.

the entire dark elf race has conferderated to try to take me out and i just took naggaroth at level 5 with a full 20 stack army defending it, lost half my troops but not a single unit loss and 40 dead DE units.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
There's no fix to the multi monitor issue in TW:Wh2 (which isn't present in TW:Wh1) is there? Where it cripples the PC outside the game and runs slowly in menus?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Nash posted:

:black101::black101::black101:

Spoken like a true dawi hero

The Fire-Dwarfs can do everything the boring dwarfs do and more AND they do it better!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Noir89 posted:

:cheerdoge:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Can anyone point me to a wiki or explain the "Local Populace" modifier for Vampiric corruption in my provinces?

There are no Vampiric units or agents in the land....the province in this screenshot has been mine for almost 20 turns now. Will a Temple of Sigmar help here?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Yeah you'll want a temple and a tavern in that province, it's exogenous corruption just like in Sylvania (but weaker).

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The starting points of various corruption-spreading factions have a small amount of background corruption even after the faction is wiped out.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Yeah you'll want a temple and a tavern in that province, it's exogenous corruption just like in Sylvania (but weaker).
Thanks, though I thought the Tavern was only for Public Order? The Public Order in the province is at 98 and rising.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Thanks, though I thought the Tavern was only for Public Order? The Public Order in the province is at 98 and rising.

Public order will degrade as corruption increase. Just stick a temple there.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Been playing Luckys Overhaul in the beta as Recluse. Hoo boy what a tough start, especially now that Felheart and Harkon are very close neighbors.

You only have a 2 settlement province and the overhaul makes your units pricey enough that you'll struggle to even afford a full stack. But magic in the overhaul is amazingly strong, and Teclis gets a bunch of free spells that really stretch out your magic over longer battles.

And vampire coast isn't too bad to fight against, since they tend to be pretty squishy and your units have excellent shield block. Sea treasure being actual fights is also great because it really helps you level up your guys.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rising corruption leads to lower public order. Once you pull out the character(s) that provide the untainted bonus, you will have +1 untainted corruption from local populace, and +1 vampiric corruption from local populace, which would average out to 50% vampiric corruption. You can counteract the unhappiness this would bring by building a tavern, or you can combat the corruption by building a temple. So build a temple. In your current situation, just building up the temple over several turns should keep the corruption low enough that public opinion won't suffer to the point that you get rebels. In other newly conquered provinces, it might be necessary to build both a tavern and temple, because you don't start with high public order and low corruption. And you can then demolish the tavern once the corruption is under control.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've finished my first Vortex campaign as a levitating frog. 202 turns and ~70 hours of fun. I could have probably finished by turn 170 by not taking 95% of not North America while simultaneously attacking Ulthuan and various southern islands. I'm 3 battles away from domination victory, so after grabbing it I'll probably start a new campaign as TK.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Someone tell me how to rock Vampire Counts properly. I can't seem to get this poo poo rolling ever.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

MohawkSatan posted:

Someone tell me how to rock Vampire Counts properly. I can't seem to get this poo poo rolling ever.

e: I'm a dumbass

just wrote up some rambling advice for vampire coast

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

MohawkSatan posted:

Use Raise Dead to get a full stack early-game. Get into a Horde mentality and don't be afraid to combine damaged units after a battle, and then restock using Raise Dead.

Your early melee units are terrible but tarpit extremely well. Tie down enemies then use your early game MVP's Handguns to destroy the enemy. Gunnery Mods can work as a substitute but aren't as good as Handguns.

Rushing for Mortar recruitment on your main ship is pretty good, since you get a strong early-game unit along with a once-per-battle barrage ability.

Economy wise, grab a Fleet Captain and have them sail to Lothern. Set up a Pirate Cove there asap, that'll be your income set until turn 30-40.

Avoid fights with High Elves, they more-or-less hard counter Coast early game. If you're Noctilus/Saltspite just wrap up whatever wars you've got with the Elves, then turn tail and mess with other people. It'll save a headache.