Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

The Shame Boy posted:

What exactly is a levekit?

It's a bundle of the materials needed to level a crafting (maybe gathering as well? typically that's raw gathered mats tho) class thru specific leves. Usually it's to a content threshold like level 50, 60, etc. Some folks swear by 'em, and they're pretty easy (if a bit time-consuming) for higher level crafters & gatherers to assemble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Cabbit posted:

This is why I play a black mage, so I have an excuse to ignore the rest of the party and just tunnel on doing as much DPS as possible. No trick attack, no healing, no bard song, just Fire IV.

Sometimes I get commendations and I have no idea why.

Because you dps correctly and people often give the highest parse dps their comm. that’s what I do at least most of the time!

Also (almost? At least same vein) same to your reasons for queuing as BLM as my reason for queueing WHM. I will carry this party kicking and screaming to the end, chain casting {Holy} every drat pull of the way. Best case? I don’t have a better parse than the dps and I’m a third dps from start to finish. Worst case? I’m the highest dps and keeping the tank alive. It kills me to go in a non pre made exdr and get a healer that does absolutely loving no dps. Like what the gently caress are you doing with yourself

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Truga posted:

Yeah, itzal has those cp+2 materias that cost single digit oaknots, and I have enough tokens left to buy 3 more 99 stacks of them IIRC, and I haven't touched itzal quests since the last crafter class hit 50.

Mog used to have really good money in mats, but that's probably not the case anymore. Dunno if they have good materia now or not.

Wait, why would the CP+2 ones be good? I had assumed that things that give CP and GP would be worse than the ones that give Craftmanship/Control/etc. I've been avoiding those when I get materia from the quests (the latest tier I unlocked gives a IV materia with each quest).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, why would the CP+2 ones be good?

Well, when slot 5 on an accessory is the only one left open and you only need 1 or 2 more CP, the lower tier materia has a much higher success rate than trying to get a +3 in there.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
IIRC with CP+ in particular, even 5 points can make the difference between completing a HQ or losing everything. I assume GP+ works in kinda the same way?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90XlZZmltP4

Looks like there is a new exclusive outfit for the Korean client.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

DoubleNegative posted:

IIRC with CP+ in particular, even 5 points can make the difference between completing a HQ or losing everything. I assume GP+ works in kinda the same way?

Kinda, less restrictive. The macros I use require only 600 GP. While I can get over 800 with food, I don't craft/gather often enough to worry about it. Gathering and Perception matter a lot - gathering success rate, HQ chance, and yield from GP skills.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

For crafting, cp tends to be pretty important. More cp lets you use more actions, and +1 synthesis/touch action is generally worth a lot more than a bit higher craft/control.

For gathering, it's important to hit specific gp thresholds, but everything costs so much gp that extra gp doesn't get you anything.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
For end game crafting, it's a solved problem and every CP counts. When pentamelding (lol my wallet), every % counts, so you wind up with capping out CP by only needing to pentameld a +1 or a +2 CP on accessories.

Speaking of my wallet, only 18 more runs to go:

Stats
12 Gazelleskin maps
6 portals - 4 altars, 2 canals
3 thiefs

Net gains
1.24m gil
291 genesis
130 mendacity
+ drops (I only grabbed a Mandragora Queen vase, whereas Beef Stew grabbed 2 capybara pups)

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, why would the CP+2 ones be good? I had assumed that things that give CP and GP would be worse than the ones that give Craftmanship/Control/etc. I've been avoiding those when I get materia from the quests (the latest tier I unlocked gives a IV materia with each quest).
CP is the most important crafting stat, all end game melds, food, and drugs are chosen to maximize CP. This is because CP is more granular in its effects, even a bit more CP can result in one more action, which is worth a lot more than the equivalent craftsmanship or control. For craftsmanship to be useful, you need to gain an amount that reduces your progress rotation by 1 action, for most recipies, this is impossible once you hit certain (relatively easy to reach) breakpoints. For exaple, i380 mats take 4 progress actions for me, reducing it to 3 purely via stacking craftsmanship is impossible. The same principle applies to control to a lesser extent since most times you're going to get enough quality to hit 100%.

This doesn't apply to GP since its breakpoints come pretty much every 100 points.

Algid fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 20, 2018

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

The short version is that after a certain point, extra CP is worth massively more than additional Craftsmanship or Control, as more CP functions as a sort of force multiplier. 16 more Control won't make any real difference when trying to HQ: maybe a couple of dozen quality points each time. 16 more CP, however, would let you use a Standard Touch instead of a Basic Touch and add on probably a few hundred more quality points. This is just a simplified example: there's far better things you can do with 16 CP than upgrading to a Standard Touch. The same math applies to Craftsmanship, where 24 Craftsmanship will make little difference but 16 CP pays for a Piece By Piece which is 33% of the needed progress: far more than 24 Craftsmanship could ever provide.

Each of those numbers is assuming four grade IV materias of the appropriate type. Since more CP can always be converted to more progress or quality as needed, as well as enabling the use of supportive abilities (every three CP pays for using Steady Hand 2 instead of Steady Hand!), and more CP is always operating on adding to a smaller number, more CP is always better.

At endgame, this is even more skewed since Maker's Mark plus Piece by Piece means that as long as you have the mandated minimums to attempt the recipe, more Craftsmanship is nearly useless since so much of your progress can come from sources independent of that stat. The question then becomes whether you want to maximize Control or CP. As shown above, more CP can be leveraged to give more quality more efficiently than more Control can, and thus CP becomes the god stat. Changing this paradigm would require remaking an incredibly large number of abilities and so this is a state of affairs that will likely remain the case even after June.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Bobfly posted:

Man, I'm really jonesin' to come back after discovering how butts WoW was up to 2-ish weeks ago.
Is the goon FC on Omega still pretty active? What is WAR like to play at the moment?

We're alive and well, buddy. E: Although its the usual lull period before a patch brings people back plus the holidays.

Warrior also owns bones. :black101:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 20, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I may have misremembered and it's the cp+4 materia that is worth a ton since there's exactly 4 cp room on most gear that starts with none, so your fifth meld is always gonna be that (since it's still much cheaper than high grade materia). Either way, itzal sells it for fairly cheap if you ground a bunch of levels via those quests and you can probably make several million gil easily and quickly by listing a 99 stack when a new tier of crafting gear lands.

Carved kupo nuts used to be worth ~60k each when glass fiber sold for 200k, but I think that's not gonna work any longer.

Truga fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 20, 2018

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Spoiler site has updated. They've put Dark Sun Gwyndolin into the game from the looks of things. :v:

(Also I need that new otter minion so bad)

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Looks like maxing out the new custom deliveries NPC might give you an early look at a new race.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Hommando posted:

Looks like maxing out the new custom deliveries NPC might give you an early look at a new race.

Nah, he's a Xaela and important for reason I forget. I think he'd get killed if he went home because leadership dispute?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hommando posted:

Adkiragh was identified previously as a being from Azim Steppe so he's probably not a secret bunny boy.

That superdog, though. I guess they decided a third golden mount in as many expansions would have been too boring. Now I have to actually go farm the other doggos.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Adkiragh was identified previously as a being from Azim Steppe so he's probably not a secret bunny boy.

Thyrork posted:

Nah, he's a Xaela and important for reason I forget. I think he'd get killed if he went home because leadership dispute?

Darn.

I hope he's an au'ra that looks like Quasimodo.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also we're almost certainly seeing Viera in 4.5 anyway in the raid

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Seiryu looks like a woman, but is actually a guy. I guess we finally have a bishie monster boss, at least!

Also, Tamamo-no-Gozen being the new Kirin/Firebird was announced at the live letter, but I still find it funny that we're going to be riding around on that cursed Au Ra girl.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Adkiragh is clearly a catgirl, on account of being a recipient for custom deliveries. That's just how things work.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Cabbit posted:

Adkiragh is clearly a catgirl, on account of being a recipient for custom deliveries. That's just how things work.

Kurenai sure is a goofy lookin' catgirl.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Saint Freak posted:

Kurenai sure is a goofy lookin' catgirl.

How dare you

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I finished my Itzal chain yesterday and got a cool wolf mount!

Truga posted:

I may have misremembered and it's the cp+4 materia that is worth a ton since there's exactly 4 cp room on most gear that starts with none, so your fifth meld is always gonna be that (since it's still much cheaper than high grade materia). Either way, itzal sells it for fairly cheap if you ground a bunch of levels via those quests and you can probably make several million gil easily and quickly by listing a 99 stack when a new tier of crafting gear lands.

Carved kupo nuts used to be worth ~60k each when glass fiber sold for 200k, but I think that's not gonna work any longer.

Hm, the current Itzal materias don't seem to sell that well; I checked a bunch on the MB and the best sold for like 4.9k (I think it was actually one of the I or II materias, with the IV selling for less). The MB is a little difficult to deal with in this, since it seems like prices fluctuate a lot and it's hard to get a lot of things to reliably sell. For a while I was making good money off of +crit materia while doing Stormblood MSQ content (with each one selling for like 25k or something), but then their price dropped to like 2k suddenly. I'm assuming that it's easier to keep track of prices for level 70 things, or maybe certain housing items.

I'm currently losing a decent amount of money to leveling crafting, though I'm telling myself that it'll be worth it in the long run (so far I've spent maybe 700-800k total getting all crafting jobs to level 29-37). It's not like I have anything else to spend it on.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hommando posted:

Darn.

I hope he's an au'ra that looks like Quasimodo.

Thyrork remembered well enough.

Adkiragh's dialogue changes after you do the Azim Steppes sidequest "Purbol Rain" wherein an unnamed Adarkim Warrior has you collect some Purbol Flowers. Apparently the Warrior came up in line as a potential khan, and his younger brother is being ransomed by other Adarkim who want to boost their own khan chances. The Warrior also says that his older brother (also a potential khan) disappeared after 8 attempts on his life had been made.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Ytlaya posted:

Hm, the current Itzal materias don't seem to sell that well; I checked a bunch on the MB and the best sold for like 4.9k (I think it was actually one of the I or II materias, with the IV selling for less). The MB is a little difficult to deal with in this, since it seems like prices fluctuate a lot and it's hard to get a lot of things to reliably sell. For a while I was making good money off of +crit materia while doing Stormblood MSQ content (with each one selling for like 25k or something), but then their price dropped to like 2k suddenly. I'm assuming that it's easier to keep track of prices for level 70 things, or maybe certain housing items.
It's usually related to the crafting cycles, and there haven't been new recipes lately. The materia from the Ixal and SB quests are useful for overmelding, which only works on crafted gear, and the current crafted gear has been out long enough that most of the people that would be overmelding have already done it. The real profit comes from having a stockpile of materia to sell when new recipes come out, when suddenly raiders and crafters are blowing up stacks of materia to get that 5th materia on a piece of gear to have the best stats first.

The Ixal materia are going to be a gamble to hold on to though, because I don't think there'll be new crafting gear until 5.0, and which materia will be useful is going to depend on the gear. For example, if you can only fit a total of 4 crit on a piece of gear, the IV materia is going to be the valuable one since no one is going to want to use 2 II or whatever instead.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

So this is just a few weeks out, huh? That's awesome. Still busy with Smash, and then 4.5 drops after New Year's, and then motherfuckin' KHIII at the end of January. :hellyeah:

Ytlaya posted:

I finished my Itzal chain yesterday and got a cool wolf mount!

Ixal :eng101:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Tenik posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90XlZZmltP4

Looks like there is a new exclusive outfit for the Korean client.

You know you can post images right

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Lizard Wizard posted:

You know you can post images right

Are you mad you had to click a video or something stupid, come on.

Exclusive outfits that I want.. not fair yoshi p.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

onesixtwo posted:

Exclusive outfits that I want.. not fair yoshi p.

theyll probably come to the mogstation in a few months dont worry :)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One kind of minor question: I noticed that the gear optimizer seems to think that a lower level gear with materia melded is "better" than a higher level gear without materia (but the same stats + higher defense, though the latter doesn't really matter for crafting). Is there any reason for that?

AngusPodgorny posted:

It's usually related to the crafting cycles, and there haven't been new recipes lately. The materia from the Ixal and SB quests are useful for overmelding, which only works on crafted gear, and the current crafted gear has been out long enough that most of the people that would be overmelding have already done it. The real profit comes from having a stockpile of materia to sell when new recipes come out, when suddenly raiders and crafters are blowing up stacks of materia to get that 5th materia on a piece of gear to have the best stats first.

The Ixal materia are going to be a gamble to hold on to though, because I don't think there'll be new crafting gear until 5.0, and which materia will be useful is going to depend on the gear. For example, if you can only fit a total of 4 crit on a piece of gear, the IV materia is going to be the valuable one since no one is going to want to use 2 II or whatever instead.

I might hold onto some +CP ones at least, if they're going to be the most valuable in the future. It's only a few slots on a retainer. I'm going to be getting a bunch just from doing the Ixal quests for grinding anyways, since I still have a lot of grinding left (I get the impression that the Ixal chain was designed to get a single crafting class to ~50, but since I was doing all crafting classes I just got all of them to like 30+).

I was saying Ixal correctly but then I saw someone else saw "Itzal" and got confused!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The recommended gear just looks at stats; More stats = more better, it’s pretty dumb.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Phone posted:

The recommended gear just looks at stats; More stats = more better, its pretty dumb.

it really should take looks into account

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Then it would just load the latest glamour trends and leave you at ilvl 1

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Phone posted:

The recommended gear just looks at stats; More stats = more better, it’s pretty dumb.

Yeah but the stats were equal in this case. The materia one had lower base stats and equal stats after the materia was added, but it was prioritized over a higher ilvl item with the same stats.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

somepartsareme posted:

theyll probably come to the mogstation in a few months dont worry :)

The gear from that amazon promotion last year still isn't on the mog station and I'm very, very grumpy about it.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Note Block posted:

The gear from that amazon promotion last year still isn't on the mog station and I'm very, very grumpy about it.

:emptyquote:

I even have a promotion code, taunting me, in my inbox.. but I was taking a break :smith:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Speaking of, is the Goku cloud on the Mogstation or is that one forever lost to me?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

Speaking of, is the Goku cloud on the Mogstation or is that one forever lost to me?

That is the what the two posts above yours are complaining about unfortunately, and the stupid dragoon bo-staff stick weapon that I want for my main :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

onesixtwo posted:

That is the what the two posts above yours are complaining about unfortunately, and the stupid dragoon bo-staff stick weapon that I want for my main :argh:

You too, huh?

I'm so sick of the Mythrite Pugil Stick I've been using as the closest thing to a staff I could find.