Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Picked up my first ever tube amp today: an older Fender Blues DeVille 2x12. I set it to volume 2 out of 12 and it's making the windows rattle. The only blemish is that the reverb is only intermittently working (which was disclosed to me by the seller) and I probably won't fix that since I have pedals. It came on casters, has the footswitch, and a cover.

It only ran me $300.

The best part was picking it up: it was in an old run-down victorian house in Berkeley. The older guy led me in past a few other older guys working on computers, and then through a store room filled with hundreds of these:

Some fun mod kits: https://www.fromelelectronics.com/products/bdvr-mods?variant=776482263

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Picked up my first ever tube amp today: an older Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12. I set it to volume 2 out of 12 and it's making the windows rattle. The only blemish is that the reverb is only intermittently working (which was disclosed to me by the seller) and I probably won't fix that since I have pedals. It came on casters, has the footswitch, and a cover.

It only ran me $300.

The best part was picking it up: it was in an old run-down victorian house in Berkeley. The older guy led me in past a few other older guys working on computers, and then through a store room filled with hundreds of these:

Edit: hot rod, not blues
The reverb on my 410 went a while ago, it was just a solder joint in the tank at the bottom of the cabinet that went. Easy peasy. Sadly not so easy to make the volume knob not a hair trigger where all the usable adjustment is in 1-3 or so.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

donut posted:

The reverb on my 410 went a while ago, it was just a solder joint in the tank at the bottom of the cabinet that went. Easy peasy. Sadly not so easy to make the volume knob not a hair trigger where all the usable adjustment is in 1-3 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH_aH-uJQpc

To bring it back to Wampler ;)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So about a year ago, the headstock of my Les Paul gave way. I picked it up one day and it'd lifted, breaking away from the neck. It'd obviously received a knock somewhere in it's lifespan and with the tension on the poorly designed headstock meant that eventually it gave way.

It was repaired (better than new in fact). The guitar sounds amazing and plays great, but I'm still bitter about my Gibby committing Hari-Kiri on me overnight for no apparent reason.

So I'm giving it a make-over. It's an Ebony LP with cream plastics. I'm replacing said plastics with black plastics and dropping in a SD Custom into the bridge (after all the LP neck pickup is the Les Paul sound).

I wish it had white binding instead of cream binding, but here's hoping after a pretty-up, I'll start to dig the guitar again.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Picked up my first ever tube amp today: an older Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12. I set it to volume 2 out of 12 and it's making the windows rattle. The only blemish is that the reverb is only intermittently working (which was disclosed to me by the seller) and I probably won't fix that since I have pedals. It came on casters, has the footswitch, and a cover.

It only ran me $300.

Did you ask for a hat to go with the amp?

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

It only ran me $300.

Which jazzy is that on the wall? I love my VM Squier.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

You were at the Interstellar Propeller headquarters!

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

no broccoli please posted:

Which jazzy is that on the wall? I love my VM Squier.

It’s just a classic player. I love it though.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

donut posted:

I pulled the reverb tank out of the amp and it looks like the solders are all still in place. I sprayed some contact cleaner in there so maybe that will help.

Edit: that seems to have done the trick for now. Played for 5 minutes on that sweet sweet fender reverb tone.

LooksLikeABabyRat fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 20, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Speaking of reverb I bought a Boss RV-6 from SA-Mart a couple days ago. Haven't gotten to play around with it yet

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Speaking of reverb I bought a Boss RV-6 from SA-Mart a couple days ago. Haven't gotten to play around with it yet

You should! I have one in my MInilogue effects chain and its awesome. The Shimmer Reverb is particularly cool, but they all sound good.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

We have one of these at the studio. They are so loving loud

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

gbs but from 2004 posted:

We have one of these at the studio. They are so loving loud

Yeah I can't put it over 3 in my apartment or I'll get evicted. It's moving to my band's practice space on Saturday and I'm looking forward to putting it through it's paces.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

My New Year's purchase is probably going to be a Bryce Fretless Electric 6 String Guitar.

I've got a knackered Crafter Cruiser strat copy that I'm going to turn fretless over the Christmas break to see if I get on with it well. I rarely play more than one note at a time when I loop using the guitar, and as my main instrument used to be the violin, I find frets to be annoying.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

fuctifino posted:

My New Year's purchase is probably going to be a Bryce Fretless Electric 6 String Guitar.

I've got a knackered Crafter Cruiser strat copy that I'm going to turn fretless over the Christmas break to see if I get on with it well. I rarely play more than one note at a time when I loop using the guitar, and as my main instrument used to be the violin, I find frets to be annoying.

I wish I had the balls to try a fretless guitar. I play a ton of ambient guitar and I feel like it would be the most enjoyable thing matched with volume swells/delay/reverb. Maybe I should try a fretless bass first.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

I wish I had the balls to try a fretless guitar. I play a ton of ambient guitar and I feel like it would be the most enjoyable thing matched with volume swells/delay/reverb. Maybe I should try a fretless bass first.

The Crafter Cruiser that I'm going to modify before potentially buying the Bryce fretless only cost £20 second hand. It's easy to remove frets (I use a soldering iron and pincers), and I'm going to just use wood filler to fill the gaps. Something like this would give you an idea if a fretless 6 string is for you.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Perplexed as to why a fretless guitar has a Floyd Rose-looking vibrato.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
so you can stay in tune after doing siqq divebombs of course

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

fuctifino posted:

The Crafter Cruiser that I'm going to modify before potentially buying the Bryce fretless only cost £20 second hand. It's easy to remove frets (I use a soldering iron and pincers), and I'm going to just use wood filler to fill the gaps. Something like this would give you an idea if a fretless 6 string is for you.

Yeah but I’m lazy and would rather go whole hog and buy a fretless to feel compelled to learn it so I don’t regret spending the money.

*eddie murphy meme*

I don’t always make the best gear decisions

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

intonation's a pain in the rear end. less so with bass

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
I played one of those 11 string fretless nylon Godin solid body acoustics once, thing was weird and wild. Had doubled up strings like a 12 for everything except the low E iirc.

Still wish I'd had the extra $ to buy it at the time, it was unique enough that I'm sure I could find great use for it.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/godin-a11-glissentar-11-string-fretless-acoustic-electric-guitar

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Slothful Bong posted:

I played one of those 11 string fretless nylon Godin solid body acoustics once, thing was weird and wild. Had doubled up strings like a 12 for everything except the low E iirc.

Still wish I'd had the extra $ to buy it at the time, it was unique enough that I'm sure I could find great use for it.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/godin-a11-glissentar-11-string-fretless-acoustic-electric-guitar

Wow. I just watched a few videos of this guitar. It's pricey at over £1000, but if I had the money, I'd buy one in an instant.

In other news, the Crafter Cruiser is now fretless, sanded and the fret holes filled with woodfiller. The whole task took about 15 minutes. I just need to wait for the filler to dry, then a quick final sand and then restring.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZfFcnuWH2E

Found this one of the godin, a cool example of how it can be used

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Nile uses a glissentar in a bunch of songs. Always thought it sounded awesome but not awesome enough to drop over $1k on one.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Mocking it up to see how it will look. Still deciding on pickguard/no pickguard.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Maybe if the guard matched the neck pickup.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I dunno if you've put together a Tele before, but trying to get the pickguard/control plate/bridge/neck pocket lined up perfectly was by far the most frustrating part about my build. If I could go back and do it without a pickguard, I absolutely would. Plus that finish looks great without it.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Yeah, when I ordered the pickup I didn't realize it came with an aged white/cream cover. Easy enough to swap out though, I've got a white one on the way.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Lester Shy posted:

I dunno if you've put together a Tele before, but trying to get the pickguard/control plate/bridge/neck pocket lined up perfectly was by far the most frustrating part about my build. If I could go back and do it without a pickguard, I absolutely would. Plus that finish looks great without it.

Agreed. Normally telecasters look best with pickguards, but that piece of wood looks so good that I'd agree with this.

Maybe seriously consider leaving the pickguard off.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

I thought I had posted this one too, but I must have forgotten to include it. Here it is without pickguard:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
sucks the electronics cavity isn't rear routed

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Let that sexy wood go naked.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

It looks so good, dude. Nice work.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Definitely go without or clear if you're afraid of marking up the finish.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Naked!

The Muppets On PCP posted:

intonation's a pain in the rear end. less so with bass

I have been eyeing up those $300 Squier fretless Js.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Chip McFuck posted:

Yeah, when I ordered the pickup I didn't realize it came with an aged white/cream cover. Easy enough to swap out though, I've got a white one on the way.
Get a black one and go naked.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Siivola posted:

Get a black one and go naked.

Or metallic

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

Got this for free in a trade. Music Man HD130, 4x10 combo version. It has a 12AX7 as a phase inverter, which puts it somewhere from 1974-77 I believe. They later went to a solid state PI.

I absolutely love it. I am a clean player and have always owned Fender amps, but this is next level. Combined with a Keeley 4-knob compressor, I am able to get the pluckiest, brightest, shimmeriest cleans at crazy volume without any antagonistic frequencies (I'm thinking the 2.5-4k range that really gets spiky).

That and the tremolo is iconic. I have a Fulltone Supa-Trem that I love for its design and quality, but it can't hold a candle to the Music Man's tremolo.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Had the one on the left for about a year now. Just got the Fender Modern Player Jazzmaster on the right. I believe this is the only version Fender has made that has a maple fretboard with block inlays. The previous owner had installed a Blues Saraceno pickup in the bridge and it did not mix at all with the stock neck pickup. I had my friend install a set of Pearly Gates pickups, a push/pull coil split, and roller bridge.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

1000 umbrellas posted:

Got this for free in a trade. Music Man HD130, 4x10 combo version. It has a 12AX7 as a phase inverter, which puts it somewhere from 1974-77 I believe. They later went to a solid state PI.

I absolutely love it. I am a clean player and have always owned Fender amps, but this is next level. Combined with a Keeley 4-knob compressor, I am able to get the pluckiest, brightest, shimmeriest cleans at crazy volume without any antagonistic frequencies (I'm thinking the 2.5-4k range that really gets spiky).

That and the tremolo is iconic. I have a Fulltone Supa-Trem that I love for its design and quality, but it can't hold a candle to the Music Man's tremolo.

My first amp was the 2x10. What a fuckin' great amp and people have been gobbling these up like crazy so the prices are going up. I want one of these again, drat you.