Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Once you get some Indium and have a medium or large refiner you'll never need to worry about chromatic metal ever again.

If you put any of the chromatic ores (copper, cadmium, emeril and indium) in one slot and chromatic ore in the other it will make more of the chromatic ore.

As Indium has a 1-> 2 ratio for refining into chromatic ore it's easy to generate stacks of chromatic ore and then replenish the Indium when it gets low.

This works from the beginning with copper of course but it's a much worse return so it's more useful to make copper to use than to refine it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Does this game have a serious memory leak or something? I know its been buried in performance issues but the game will run great when i first load it up, can run around the planet i start on at close to 60fps, but the second i fly into space and come back the fps takes a massive hit, like down to 15 fps, and stays that way until a restart. Its crazy frustrating because when the game is running alright its enjoyable but the fps getting that lovely is just enough to counter anything good the game does and is ruining it for me

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Getting trade frigates now that you have a freighter is a super easy way to get chromatic metal. Just land on the frigate (not the freighter) once every 20 minutes or so and pick up 100 chromatic metal. It goes directly to the freighter inventory but you have to land on the frigate and accept to pick it up. An Activated Indium mining operation is the fastest way but takes a (small) amount of effort to maintain.

As for performance, the game can be janky for me at times and occasionally hard locks. I wouldn't doubt there are multiple memory leaks that can come into play depending on what you are doing. The most serious one for me is that a few specific toxic planets actively corrupt my game state and "desync" me badly enough that station and freighter landings are impossible and most objects just don't load at all. This carries over saves (rip me the moment I exit my ship) so if I haven't manually saved for a while it's a pain in the rear end.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 18, 2018

ProfessorLemur
Nov 14, 2014
The Armourer gave me a mission to destroy some sentinel depots, but when I went over there I realised it was the same depot that I blew up for some Korvax dude a couple of days before.
What do I do? I don't want to have to start a new save, but I'm concerned I've broke my mission.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I bought this game over the weekend and put about 20 hours into it, it be fun. That said in my aimless tooling about I seemed to have missed the point where the game gives you a car and a submarine, I know they exist because there's a mod shop for them. How do?

Also I think I'm like 300 words into the Gek language and most conversations are still a blank.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ProfessorLemur posted:

The Armourer gave me a mission to destroy some sentinel depots, but when I went over there I realised it was the same depot that I blew up for some Korvax dude a couple of days before.
What do I do? I don't want to have to start a new save, but I'm concerned I've broke my mission.

Go to another system and use the mission reset, maybe?

Caidin posted:

I bought this game over the weekend and put about 20 hours into it, it be fun. That said in my aimless tooling about I seemed to have missed the point where the game gives you a car and a submarine, I know they exist because there's a mod shop for them. How do?

Also I think I'm like 300 words into the Gek language and most conversations are still a blank.

You have to tool about a little more aimfully for those, they appear as part of the interlocked sequence of base building quests. Choose a planet, settle down, follow prompts.

There are a LOT of words.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

haveblue posted:

You have to tool about a little more aimfully for those, they appear as part of the interlocked sequence of base building quests. Choose a planet, settle down, follow prompts.

There are a LOT of words.

Ahhh, that makes sense. I was helping out the Korvex science dude with his odd jobs but he kept telling me to gently caress off for a couple hours between quests and I end up engrossed in some other thing and the Gek foremen is all 'Go get a Space Ork for weapons development' but my base is an ugly wooden box in a desert so I want to dig up tech bobbled for more construction options and find an actually nice planet to build on and ugh my focus is drifting.

Ooo, planet of lights eh? What's that like I wonder...

Edit: Not as nice as it sounded.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 19, 2018

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Haven't played since NEXT dropped.

Should I restart now that Abyss and Visions are out?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

IAmTheRad posted:

Haven't played since NEXT dropped.

Should I restart now that Abyss and Visions are out?

Yes.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So as someone who has around 20 hours played and just got my freighter what upgrades should I be getting and spending my nanites on? I'm mostly exploring at the moment.

Ghostlight posted:

In my opinion, scanner, mining laser, life support, jetpack, plasma cannon, whatever weapon your ship has, and freighter engines (which you build anyway, so you don't really need to set aside nanites for them)

Yup. Scanner makes you money quick, mining laser saves you time, life support gives you time, jetpack for mobility, then worry about hyperdrive and weapons. I'd recommend at least one s-class upgrade for your favourite weapon just to beef it up a bit. Hyperdrive upgrades are handy, but only bother putting them on an Explorer ship of equivalent rank, preferably with a hyperdrive rating close to 60; save S-Class upgrades for S-Class ships, because otherwise you're just throwing them away when you inevitably find a better one. I mean, eventually, you'll be swimming in them, but in the short term it's worth thinking about.

Here's how mine are laid out, they're by no means optimal. General and tech Exosuit inventory, starship general and tech inventory, multitool. I find it's worthwhile getting at least one of each of the environment protections just to buy you a minute or two in a 180 degree hellscape or 500 rad glow-in-the-dark planet. I haven't gotten around to installing three more jetpack upgrades in the general inventory, which is possible and gives you insane amounts of burn time. Even the three I have are pretty lengthy. Keep in mind that like upgrades often get stacking benefits from being put together, that's what the colored borders signify. The Explorer ship's six upgrades end up netting me about 2200 light years for a single hyperdrive jump, and it takes quite a lot of jumps before I need to refuel it. I get about 300k-400k from each bio thing I scan, now, with the scanner multitool upgrades, which can help a lot early on. If you find a vendor with s-class upgrades of the kind you need, just buy it, save, reload, and buy it again.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Just as an alternative, I don't have any environmental shields (other than a rebreather) but I do have the maximum amount of deflector shields possible. I can last quite a while even in an extreme storm before I decide I need to insert some sodium, and I am also basically un-killable by anything other than shooting myself in the face with a plasma grenade or going AFK in front of a sentinel for 5+ minutes.

Note maxing out shields on a ship is a huge difference over a stock ship, but you can't achieve the same degree of invulnerability as you can with personal shields. Walkers are a joke but a sentinel super freighter will still wreck you if you approach it casually.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
What's a good, quick way to get cash so I can buy a new multitool? I keep being short on cash badly and finding abandoned buildings with eggs feels pretty long and tedious to find.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Other than having a good scanner the next best way to make quick cash is just pick up scan/kill quests that reward products, because you can walk those over to the ATM next to the quest NPC to turn them into several hundred thousand credits. After that, I would say go roll the dice on harvesting artifacts from Salvagable Scrap or Ancient Bones planets because they'll get you anywhere between 100k and 2m each.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
The single best way to get cash IMO is to pick up missions to destroy depots from your Obama Freighter. Accept and cancel all other missions until you get a destroy depot mission. Then park your freighter in orbit near that depot. Fly down, destroy the depot, turn the quest in and cycle through until you get another one. The depot will respawn and you can do it again (and again and again). Gives you lots of materials from destroying the depot itself as well as the solid rewards from freighter missions.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
...Obama Freighter?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I just picked this up and got lucky finding a planet with ancient bones and digging them all up. I'm up to 8 million space bucks now.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I just started playing this and I'm having some fun. Also as I found out, a hilarious way of making money is piling scanner upgrades into your multitool until you're getting hundreds of thousands of units per scan.

But just tooling around on a planet with salvage sites will make you millions, so there's that.

Also, after playing a bit on normal I decided to try out survival and seriously ragequit multiple times thinking 'this just isn't worth it' but I kept picking it back up, and I got myself some shield upgrades and now it's fun and more interesting than normal. That's my story thanks for listening.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I think I made most of my money on a stormy toxic planet, I'd found/bought some movement enhancers and S grade toxic protection mod so being out in the weather wasn't bad, and whenever it was storming(almost always) there was some really valuable crystals you could harvest that sold for a mint. They usually came in clusters too so I was making like 6 mil a storm. I stopped around 30m because I was getting bored though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Freighter expeditions make a lot of money. They're my favourite way to get some extra cash.

Toxic planets are just my favourite place to hang out because I like them the most visually. I think desert planets are the most visually appealing overall but toxic planets have very interesting assortments of plant and ground texture variety.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I favour snow planets personally, but I like building a lot of things involving glass. What I'd really like is a nice, deep and vibrant ocean to build in though. Speaking of, I've never seen any of the sea monsters the Abyss marketing mentioned, and also it seems like NMS planets have a maximum depth and so oceans can't really be very deep anyway, limiting exploring them? The hype I saw was basically comparing it to Subnautica. So far I've only seen shallow-ish fields of pale coral and strands of seaweed and the occasional vent.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
When you run across an Abyssal Horror, you will know. :gonk:

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Is there any way to relocate your base computer to be inside your base on a floor panel or something? I hate having to walk outside to access it when there's more archives available.

Also, do recruitable frigates ever show up as anything other than C-class? Or do they upgrade to B and A after doing missions?

And why doesn't my economy scanner always tell me what the economy level of the stars I can warp to?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

The_Doctor posted:

...Obama Freighter?

An attempt at a joke on the mythical "Obama Phones" (https://www.freegovernmentcellphones.net/faq/obama-phone), i.e. the free welfare freighter you get automatically

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Looks like they pretty badly overtuned the community event this time. It isn't on track to get even halfway to finishing tier 2 before time runs out. Changing it from weekly contributions to daily is probably the issue.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

BRB, re-naming my capital ship the Thanks, Obama

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Thanks Gekbama.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

HiKaizer posted:

Thanks Gekbama.

Please, Obama is totally a Korvax

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Actually Obama was Hirk.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So I ended up on a storming radiation planet with 10 Svs normally and during storms goes to 32 Sv. It allowed my basic suit to last 30 seconds before recharge. I also noticed storm crystals and started gathering them until I ran out of sodium for recharge. Made 8 million units quickly and finished repairing my 42 slot hauler and purchased a new multitool.

Found an S-SCANNER upgrade vendor, save scummed it to get 3 of them plugged into my tool. Upon install it says stuff like 7453% payout and others are like 5450% and 9000%.. these are just randomly rolled in install right?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/912

Redmas made an overhaul.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Just picked this up on Steam Sale. What's the story on the mods? Anything suggested? I assume they wouldn't work for multiplayer?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So I ended up on a storming radiation planet with 10 Svs normally and during storms goes to 32 Sv. It allowed my basic suit to last 30 seconds before recharge. I also noticed storm crystals and started gathering them until I ran out of sodium for recharge. Made 8 million units quickly and finished repairing my 42 slot hauler and purchased a new multitool.

Found an S-SCANNER upgrade vendor, save scummed it to get 3 of them plugged into my tool. Upon install it says stuff like 7453% payout and others are like 5450% and 9000%.. these are just randomly rolled in install right?

I think the mod's stats are baked in when you buy it. I haven't tried save > buy > warp > install to test whether you can game the stats of an uninstalled mod you already own, but save > buy > install always gave me the exact same stats upon a reload IIRC.

Just get yourself three S rank scanner upgrades to begin with, then the next time you find yourself at a station that sells them, save the game then delete the mod with the weakest bonus and install a new one to see if it is an improvement.

And yeah getting 70k per tree and 150-500k per animal scanned goes a long way to ensuring you are never cripplingly poor. Saving up for a huge rear end freighter or some S rank ships will take more than just that, though.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 24, 2018

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Just picked this up on Steam Sale. What's the story on the mods? Anything suggested? I assume they wouldn't work for multiplayer?

Play vanilla. While you can use mods for multiplayer, and if people join you and they don't have the same mods that you might have, they could run into weird issues like different terrain and you probably won't be able to find them even if they are in the same system as you are. Could even cause one of you to crash if it's a terrain changing mod.

Other gameplay tweak mods work fine. As long as it doesn't touch the terrain generation and biomes you should be fine using any of them.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Alternatively, use mods and make your game a whole bunch better, disregarding whoever else joins in.

For example: https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/935 I don't understand how anyone uses exocraft at all without this mod.

https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/752 is also nice. Carry it with you, drop it down when you land on a new planet or whatever.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 25, 2018

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
so usually with these types of games i play vanilla first for a while (at around 25 hours now) and then mod some stuff for quality of life.

What mods you guys recommend to keep it pretty vanilla but really improves the game dramatically? I only solo play so not worried about breaking stuff.

I might just plunge into the Biome megapack.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
My path to making money went something like:

1. Run around and scan things and get nanites, while also using the signal booster to farm manufacturing facilities and gather up blueprints.

2. Go through the base chain so I get all those blueprints too.

3. Do some margin trading between systems for seed money.

4. Build out a farm on my base, then my freighter, with enough space for plants to make one or two of every agricultural product. Ideally, in a system that has all three atmosphere types, yielding Sulphurine, Nitrogen, and Radon.

5. Get my frigates to run missions and they'll come back with advanced products and a few million a pop. Sometimes they come back with stuff I have blueprints to make more stuff out of. Even intermediate products like living glass sell for a fair bit.

6. Eventually I get enough blueprints to complete the chain for stasis devices. The frigates will bring enough intermediate products to supplement the chain (stuff like cryo pumps, semiconductors) so I needn't make everything myself.

7. Make stacks of stasis devices and start making money hand over fist.

It was a little intensive at first but now that the supply chain is there, it's easy to get more. Now I have close to two billion and I needn't worry about it ever again.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I really want to make a garden on my frigate but needing to power the growing beds with carbon each time is just tedious when I can build domes on a base that don't need it

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

HiKaizer posted:

I really want to make a garden on my frigate but needing to power the growing beds with carbon each time is just tedious when I can build domes on a base that don't need it

Due to some sort of glitchy magic, hydroponics bays installed on freighters automatically refill themselves any time you jump or move the freighter (and possibly any time you land on it). I have an enormous grow-op installed on my dank green super sentinel freighter and I have never once had to manually fill any of them.

Granted, I don't even use the thing any more since when you have 1.6 billion units, maxed out suit slots, a 24 slot S rank multitool, and as many ships as you care to own, there really isn't anything to spend money on to justify the effort of crafting all those plants into stasis devices. I still built two more full-sized stasis device crafting gardens on planets because... reasons, I guess.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Due to some sort of glitchy magic, hydroponics bays installed on freighters automatically refill themselves any time you jump or move the freighter (and possibly any time you land on it). I have an enormous grow-op installed on my dank green super sentinel freighter and I have never once had to manually fill any of them.

Granted, I don't even use the thing any more since when you have 1.6 billion units, maxed out suit slots, a 24 slot S rank multitool, and as many ships as you care to own, there really isn't anything to spend money on to justify the effort of crafting all those plants into stasis devices. I still built two more full-sized stasis device crafting gardens on planets because... reasons, I guess.

Yeah, at that point it's more an exercise in doing the lego thing; building for the sake of building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nobody told me you could plant plants in the domes, wtf.

Also nobody told me the Phase Beam was an actual weapon. I thought this was some mining laser thing, not a ridiculously powerful deathbeam.

Another wtf, I just had some sort of enemy freighter warp in on me while I was fighting some enemies, but it was gone again by the time I'd finished fighting.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 26, 2018