Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Flannelette posted:

The Evil Within was not only better than The Evil Within 2 it was massively better.

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

veni veni veni posted:

You aren't wrong but you hosed up by skipping the side missions (white dots/actual missions not activities) because it's some of the best content in the game and often a welcome respite from the endless shooting gallery that is the main story.

This is really weird to me, because I really enjoyed the main story but the side missions felt like the usual overly jokey Rockstar stuff I'm not really so into. Oh boy, here comes a wacky character with some scheme for you to engage in. Other than the two escaped prisoners who outwardly hate each other's guts but keep making excuses for why they can't split up because they secretly are best buds. Those I liked.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

jokes posted:

I played call of duty 2 recently actually and it holds up really well. Graphically, no, but gunning down my friends was funner there than in modern titles.

Although I suppose it was rough having faction-based kits, but there also weren't killstreaks so.

Didn't have to unlock guns, too. That's something I just wish would loving die for a while.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Plan Z posted:

Didn't have to unlock guns, too. That's something I just wish would loving die for a while.

How else will you feel a sense of pride and accomplishment?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

jokes posted:

I played call of duty 2 recently actually and it holds up really well. Graphically, no, but gunning down my friends was funner there than in modern titles.

Although I suppose it was rough having faction-based kits, but there also weren't killstreaks so.

i forget sometimes that cod games have a multiplayer component, because the ridiculous adolescent tom clancy fantasy plots are extremely my poo poo and the games do a good job of immersing you in their batshit insanity

edit: also true for battlefield 3 and its wildass plot that involves gunning down parisian cops as a russian diplomat in order to save paris

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Nightshade seemed like it could be a good game but i never made it past the second fight you have to do. Just too drat hard for young me.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Red dead 2 has possibly the worst gameplay mechanic yet invented in which if you have any bounty you cannot fast travel, a one two punch of making the rest of the game more tedious and also discouraging you from doing the most fun and thematic stuff (shooting and robbing people)

I understand why it's in the game but it's so incredibly stupid, a perfect example of its unwavering dedication to story and atmosphere over enjoyment.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just played Invisible Inc to day 20 of Endless mode for the achievement, and it's a pretty cool challenge. By ~day 12 all of the guards had at least 3 armor, and it wasn't uncommon to see dudes sporting armor 6 or 7 with usually have high KO resistance to boot, so if you want to incapacitate someone then you have to be sporting high-end weaponry and you have to be ready to restrain them as soon as they go down. You also get a random mega-daemon at the start of each level that does something really disastrous, ranging from "all of your programs cost +2 power" to "the alarm gets raised to level 2 at the start of the level"

So the game becomes less about using your resources to deal with guards and more about avoiding guards entirely and manipulating their behavior to path them away from your squad. I've got multiple cloaking rigs, so I'll send one person running down a hallway to make a bunch of noise to draw guards away and then I'll send another person down that same hallway with a bunch of buster chips to crack open all of the safes.

Lethal damage has also been kind of a godsend since you can kill drones without raising the alarm level and they tend to have less armor than the guards, strangely enough

The firewall levels are also insane, by day 20 several of the items in the level start at 12 firewalls. I got lucky and found a program that will unlock a random camera in the level for 4 power, which is a huge huge discount when the cameras all have 12 firewalls (I'm running Lockpick v2, which is pretty efficient but it'd still take 18 power to do the same job)

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

abigserve posted:

Red dead 2 has possibly the worst gameplay mechanic yet invented in which if you have any bounty you cannot fast travel, a one two punch of making the rest of the game more tedious and also discouraging you from doing the most fun and thematic stuff (shooting and robbing people)

I understand why it's in the game but it's so incredibly stupid, a perfect example of its unwavering dedication to story and atmosphere over enjoyment.

i realize that “being a bad guy has consequences” isn’t exactly standard fare for a rockstar game but cmon dude

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i realize that “being a bad guy has consequences” isn’t exactly standard fare for a rockstar game but cmon dude

Yeah, but those consequences shouldn't be "the game shuts off vital game features"

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

fast travel pretty much by definition isn’t vital

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

OMGVBFLOL posted:

In an open world game? I strongly disagree.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

its the faster version of a thing you can also do in a different, slower way

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

OMGVBFLOL posted:

And the slower way is boring and tedious to the point at which many people stop playing if it's the only option.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

OMGVBFLOL posted:

:thunk:

I guess this is the unpopular opinion thread though.
I got better things to do than move through your boring open world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqhLO3SRyXU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I think if games as a medium were a bit more mature there would be a meaningful conversation around how the game of say dark souls, is ABOUT overcoming difficulty by mastering it, but a game like RDR is about escapism (I mean, there are probably deeper takes than that but) and so lack of fast travel in one plays to it's strengths while weakening the other, and it's not just something that there's a blanket answer for. But I think you have that conversation when games are actually about something, by design, and reliably.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's super weird that people are complaining about fast travel in rdr2 when there are 3 forms of it in the game...

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I disagree because;

- the whole theme of the game is that you're a bad person. being a bad person is supposed to be fun and profitable because that's the ethical dilemma of the cowboy way of life. the fast travel/bounty interaction works directly counter to this because because an rear end in a top hat makes the rest of the game be less fun
- It makes no sense that stagecoaches/trains are the only aspect of the game that cares whether you're a bad person or not, how would a random stagecoach driver know who you are when the owner of the gunshop who you personally robbed doesn't care?
- red dead travel times are hosed. It's not like oblivion or skyrim where it takes forever to move from one side of the map to the other but there's usually a bunch of interesting poo poo in the middle. In red dead, it's huge expanses of (beautiful) nothing at all yet it takes real life minutes to go from place to place and you have to do it generally AT LEAST twice per mission (once to get to the mission start then once to get to the fun part of the mission)

it's a problem that could have been trivially solved by making it so you need an actually huge bounty to not be able to fast travel, like $150+ which requires doing some pretty heinous poo poo, and letting you fast travel back to camp from anywhere.

edit: for the guy above I don't know how you played but fast travel was locked for 90% of my playthrough because I didn't want to cheese the arrest system and didn't have enough money to pay the bounties, most of which I accrued through normal missions and robbing stores

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

RDR2 is very bad and if you like it you don't know anything about video games, probably just some old dude who plays video games twice a week at night.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I got paid today. Me and my partner are pretty much resolved to buying a switch this weekend. Can you bitter turds talk me out of it? I really only wanna play breath and otherwise we plan on just getting like skyrim which weve both played already lol and smash bros its all gonna cost like 500 or a bit more so im kinda wary but i havent bought a console since buying a halo edition 360 12 years agi

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

HKS posted:

RDR2 is very bad and if you like it you don't know anything about video games, probably just some old dude who plays video games twice a week at night.

lol

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

abigserve posted:

This is a mechanic in literally every openworld game you doofus

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

basic hitler posted:

I got paid today. Me and my partner are pretty much resolved to buying a switch this weekend. Can you bitter turds talk me out of it? I really only wanna play breath and otherwise we plan on just getting like skyrim which weve both played already lol and smash bros its all gonna cost like 500 or a bit more so im kinda wary but i havent bought a console since buying a halo edition 360 12 years agi
If you have a good gaming pc you can run the wiiu version of breath of the wild on the CEMU emulator on way higher resolution than on the switch. However games like mario kart and smash are fun for when friends come over, but based on the games you're playing and if you already have a well built PC you can save your money and not buy a switch.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

While my cpu can run breath, only just so. There are consistent frame dips and poo poo and its not really enjoyable in that form.

I want to buy new cpu parts but I'm paying a lot in taxes for this last quarter and it should be enough that i can do all of that next year when i get it back lol.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

In an open world game? I strongly disagree.

fast travel is only vital if your open world sucks. you have no business making an open world game and billing it as such if the best you can do is fill it with empty space the player wants to skip.

skyrim actually has enough stuff in it that it's a better game if you don't use it, and that's not even a good game

e: morrowind type immersive fast travel is fine, but not arbitrary pipboy style

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 21, 2018

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

abigserve posted:

edit: for the guy above I don't know how you played but fast travel was locked for 90% of my playthrough because I didn't want to cheese the arrest system and didn't have enough money to pay the bounties, most of which I accrued through normal missions and robbing stores

sounds like you are just bad at the game :shrug:

I was able to use a train or stationwagon since the beginning, reminded me of Morrowind.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Ive beaten Far Cry 2, Just Cause 2 and RDR2 without fast travelling. There must be something wrong with me

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Overly useful fast travel sucks. Witcher 3's signposts are about as powerful as it should be. Being able to open a menu/map and jump instantly wherever you have already visited is trash and railroads the kind of acceptable gameplay in the open world.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

even pipboy fast travel was immersive in the original fallout games, as you'd have random encounters en route, but this hasnt been attempted by any game on earth since the late 90s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If you can afford a fancy gaming computer you can prob afford a switch, there's some nice bundles out now and it doubles as a portable that you can literally pick up and take with you when you go to the shitter, what's not to love? Switch and PC is a pretty good combo.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

My pc is very not fancy, but yeah.

I kind of want a ps4 honestly but if i go that route I'm buying and footing the cost solo versus going half in on a switch so whatever.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If you can afford a fancy gaming computer you can prob afford a switch, there's some nice bundles out now and it doubles as a portable that you can literally pick up and take with you when you go to the shitter, what's not to love? Switch and PC is a pretty good combo.

steam in-home streaming is a free android app now and will do this with all your pc games. clip your phone onto a ds4 and you're all set to play gamepad games while you poop, or pc strategy games on a tablet or w/e

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

basic hitler posted:

You will basically be required to know how to play Super Smash Bros. by anyone who also has a Switch and invites you to anything ever, despite it being a stupid and boring game for children

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

poverty goat posted:

even pipboy fast travel was immersive in the original fallout games, as you'd have random encounters en route, but this hasnt been attempted by any game on earth since the late 90s

Soul Calibur 6

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Because people don't have unlimited time, it is vital. Travelling between explored parts of an open world game is like waiting for a level to load, except hundred times slower.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unfettered and plentiful fast travel is something every open world game should have and if it doesnt I probably wont finish it because traversing an evironment is only fun once.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

poverty goat posted:

skyrim actually has enough stuff in it that it's a better game if you don't use it

jfc, you couldn't pick a game with an emptier, more sterile world if you tried

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

step away from the internet

Barudak
May 7, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
the new spider-man game has a great story and fun swinging mechanics but everything else about it is shallow and sucky