Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Any great deals on cloud storage out there? Free version of OneDrive is enough to back up my important docs, but I'm looking to expand to the 5-10TB range to get all my photos up in the cloud too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Enos Cabell posted:

Any great deals on cloud storage out there? Free version of OneDrive is enough to back up my important docs, but I'm looking to expand to the 5-10TB range to get all my photos up in the cloud too.

Backblaze is $5/month for unlimited, Backblaze B2 is $0.005/GB/month. Not sure there's anything cheaper.

Always nice to see my $0.50/month bill for the ~100GB of backups I've got in B2.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Enos Cabell posted:

If you already subscribe to Amazon prime they have unlimited photo storage at original quality available. They'll run every image you ever upload through whatever ML stuff they have going on, but it is a nice way to stores tons of original quality photos.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Raldikuk posted:

If you already subscribe to Amazon prime they have unlimited photo storage at original quality available. They'll run every image you ever upload through whatever ML stuff they have going on, but it is a nice way to stores tons of original quality photos.

JBark posted:

Backblaze is $5/month for unlimited, Backblaze B2 is $0.005/GB/month. Not sure there's anything cheaper.

Always nice to see my $0.50/month bill for the ~100GB of backups I've got in B2.

Thanks, sounds like Prime might be exactly what I'm needing but those prices on Backblaze sound great if Prime doesn't work out.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
So I bought some of this this RAM to put in my Synology DS1618+, but it just sits indefinitely booting with the flashing blue light after I install it. The manual says it may take an extra ten minutes to boot after new RAM is installed, but I let it go for 40+ minutes.

Crucial's website tool recommends this RAM . (Somehow I didn't think to check Crucial's website and just went with something I saw someone recommend). Which is strange to me since the only difference I can tell is that the RAM Crucial is recommending is 2400MHz instead of 2133MHz, and the stock installed RAM is 2133MHz. I'm planning on returning the RAM I bought, but is there any way to tell if it's defective vs incompatible? Would probably also help save me a restocking fee if it's defective.

And does any one have RAM recommendation for the DS1618+ for a 4GB stick? Otherwise I guess I'll just go with what Crucial's site suggests.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cheque_some posted:

So I bought some of this this RAM to put in my Synology DS1618+, but it just sits indefinitely booting with the flashing blue light after I install it. The manual says it may take an extra ten minutes to boot after new RAM is installed, but I let it go for 40+ minutes.

Crucial's website tool recommends this RAM . (Somehow I didn't think to check Crucial's website and just went with something I saw someone recommend). Which is strange to me since the only difference I can tell is that the RAM Crucial is recommending is 2400MHz instead of 2133MHz, and the stock installed RAM is 2133MHz. I'm planning on returning the RAM I bought, but is there any way to tell if it's defective vs incompatible? Would probably also help save me a restocking fee if it's defective.

And does any one have RAM recommendation for the DS1618+ for a 4GB stick? Otherwise I guess I'll just go with what Crucial's site suggests.

The crucial ram is also cl17 vs cl15. Shouldn't matter but it is different. If you checkout directly from the configuration tool crucial guarantee it will work. I generally pay the small premium once on stuff like this rather than roulette with "should work".

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I got 2 sticks of some no name 8gb, 16gb ram for my synology 918+. And it seemed fine. Everything just magically worked and the seller claimed it was from crucial!

It was 234 rmb each, now 180 rmb (26 usd) super sale - which I need to buy another stick for my ghetto qotom.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Yep, I would totally trust important data to no name RAM. Zero reservations there whatsoever! :cheers:

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

astral posted:

Yep, I would totally trust important data to no name RAM. Zero reservations there whatsoever! :cheers:

:goonsay: ECC

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I guess you can run mem tests or all sorts of other burn in tests on it? It's DDR3L so it's probably been around for quite a while and quite cheap, especially when it comes to sourcing electronic parts in Shenzhen. And Raid is not backup so I suppose i lucked out for now

astral
Apr 26, 2004

caberham posted:

I guess you can run mem tests or all sorts of other burn in tests on it? It's DDR3L so it's probably been around for quite a while and quite cheap, especially when it comes to sourcing electronic parts in Shenzhen. And Raid is not backup so I suppose i lucked out for now

You lucked out as long as you aren't backing up from or to that device or storing anything important on it, yes.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

H110Hawk posted:

The crucial ram is also cl17 vs cl15. Shouldn't matter but it is different. If you checkout directly from the configuration tool crucial guarantee it will work. I generally pay the small premium once on stuff like this rather than roulette with "should work".

You're right. And the RAM that came pre-installed is CL15 :confused: :iiam:

I guess I'll just go with the guaranteed RAM and roll the dice on an Amazon return.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I remember CAS Latency being important many years ago, but that was back when going from 2 to 4 meant an effective doubling. I can't imagine it means much now?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

D. Ebdrup posted:

I remember CAS Latency being important many years ago, but that was back when going from 2 to 4 meant an effective doubling. I can't imagine it means much now?

I'm a bit out of date with the CAS latency effects these days. Having cpus with integrated memory controllers, large cache and L3 cache, and cache misses don't seem as devastating on performance it doesn't seem to matter much.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

cheque_some posted:

You're right. And the RAM that came pre-installed is CL15 :confused: :iiam:

I guess I'll just go with the guaranteed RAM and roll the dice on an Amazon return.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0145WDNF2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the RAM I got for my DS1817+. Works perfectly, booted up instantly and recognized the new ram no issues at all. Didn't have to touch anything in the Synology settings etc. If that works for your system, highly recommended. It's also like $15 cheaper than when I bought it as well!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

I don't think the RAM timings mean much in terms of performance outside of some very specific, non-general-consumer workloads. Might make a difference in an APU (where single- vs. dual-channel does matter, for comparison.)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We must be close to NAS vendors making shallow-depth rackmount boxes with just 2.5" SATA bays in to be used with SSDs, surely? One of Qnap's billion models is the TS-977 series which is getting there, but it would be great if there were no 3.5" bays and the 2.5" ones were accessible from the front.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Any Unraid folks use the Fog (disk imaging server) stuff in docker? Interested in trying it out to capture OS drive images for desktops/laptops at home.

Use it at work and it’s very handy. I see there is a docker, may try it out on the weekend.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

We must be close to NAS vendors making shallow-depth rackmount boxes with just 2.5" SATA bays in to be used with SSDs, surely? One of Qnap's billion models is the TS-977 series which is getting there, but it would be great if there were no 3.5" bays and the 2.5" ones were accessible from the front.
I don't know about shallow depth or consumer availability, but in data centers I have seen plenty of 2U enclosures loaded with 2.5" drives all the way across.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ah yes, the bit I missed out was 1U. Just something aimed at the SMB market that can take a bunch of 2.5" SSDs as they're dirt cheap now.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

Ah yes, the bit I missed out was 1U. Just something aimed at the SMB market that can take a bunch of 2.5" SSDs as they're dirt cheap now.

I could see a use for 8 ssd packed into 1U with 10Gbit/s. Substantially different from the 4 x 3.5" 1U that are available.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The chassis definitely exist. I'm surprised no NAS vendor has slapped their own logo on one.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Does anyone have an recommendations for a rack-mount chassis? I have an ITX board so I'd like a short-depth case that can fit around ten 3.5" drives. Hot-swap isn't required but would be nice.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CopperHound posted:

The chassis definitely exist. I'm surprised no NAS vendor has slapped their own logo on one.

They've also got a 1U with 20x 7mm hot swap bays, 18 of which are NVMe.

Probably a few degrees past consumer, though :getin:

FCKGW: Anything rackmount is going to have hot swap drives these days. Supermicro cases are the best you're going to find that are compatible with standard motherboards, Norco cases are alright but the drive bays are definitely way more fickle than any Supermicro chassis.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I'm not dumb right - there is no way to do an "online" replacement of a failing disk in a Synology? I have a functional disk with 1 bad sector. I want the synology to mirror it to a hot spare, then break that mirror. I see in disk management I can "deactivate" the failing disk, but that says it will be kicked out immediately which would bring me to N=1 copies of that data. I'm backed up into Backblaze but that doesn't mean I want to deal with the risk.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

I'm not dumb right - there is no way to do an "online" replacement of a failing disk in a Synology? I have a functional disk with 1 bad sector. I want the synology to mirror it to a hot spare, then break that mirror. I see in disk management I can "deactivate" the failing disk, but that says it will be kicked out immediately which would bring me to N=1 copies of that data. I'm backed up into Backblaze but that doesn't mean I want to deal with the risk.

I'm not as familiar with synology hardware but I believe you're correct. I think the only way to avoid that risk is having raid-6 or equivalent redundancy.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Kinda makes the idea of a hot-spare pointless if you can't, you know, use it to replace a failing/failed disk.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Can you change it from a hot spare to a 3-way mirror?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Couple shucking questions - where can I find the price history for the 8/10tb easystores from bestbuy? I missed all the sales and they're 200+ now, trying to guess when they'll drop again.

Secondly, the elements 8tb - I understand that can be a HGST DC320 (without helium and lowered RPM?) or an EFAZ... They're $150 now which is fine if the drives are decent. I understand it won't be the 256MB cache drive you might get in an easystore.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Whats the safest way to connect to and manage by synology box over the internet?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

vodkat posted:

Whats the safest way to connect to and manage by synology box over the internet?

VPN in to manage it. There's been a number of remote exploits so you don't want any way to access it without a VPN.

quote:

User controlled input is not sufficiently sanitized, and then passed to
execve function.

Successful exploitation of this vulnerability enables a remote
unauthenticated user to run commands as root on the machine.

That was one year ago, but who knows what else is lurking in the current build?

Harik fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 21, 2018

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Best practices for setting up a folder to hold backups on a NAS? I picked up a Synology DS218j and am really impressed w its ease of use. I’ve got things rolling for setting up folders that are available only to the users, but was looking for insight and setting up a folder that will hold their Acronis backups. Not sure if it’s overkill to lock it down or not, it’s a for an office w 4 guys who are not tech savvy.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Is there a good Windows app for syncing individual folders? Like if I have a "Notes" folder on my laptop, I'd want the new files in it to sync to a "Notes" folder on my NAS overnight. I don't want/need it to be through the cloud.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Robocopy and a scheduled task. Or connect to the shared folder and make it available offline, and it will sync when you're back on your network.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Robocopy and a scheduled task. Or connect to the shared folder and make it available offline, and it will sync when you're back on your network.

What if I'm an idiot who doesn't want to do everything through the command-line?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Quixzlizx posted:

What if I'm an idiot who doesn't want to do everything through the command-line?

Making a folder available offline is done through the GUI. No command line required.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Quixzlizx posted:

Is there a good Windows app for syncing individual folders? Like if I have a "Notes" folder on my laptop, I'd want the new files in it to sync to a "Notes" folder on my NAS overnight. I don't want/need it to be through the cloud.

Is the goal backup or just having access to it from more places?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Is the goal backup or just having access to it from more places?

It's a little bit of both. I wanted some finer control over the process without having to fiddle with the command line, so the two offered solutions were kind of the opposite extremes of my Goldilocks use case. I ended up doing some research, saw that Microsoft has provided two unofficial GUI frontends to Robocopy that both seem to be deprecated, and then discovered that SyncBackFree seemingly had all the functionality I wanted, so I installed and set that up instead. Manually running the profiles I created is giving me exactly the results I want, so I just have to confirm that it's integrated correctly into Task Scheduler.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Getting around to replacing the motherboard in my FreeNAS server since the last one seems to have died. My existing drives are SATA, and I'd like the headroom to run some Docker images (home network services, specifically Emby and Logitech Media Server). My price point is <$1000, ideally a lot less.

Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
How worried do I need to be about this?
It's part of a 6 disk RAID Z2