Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

General Dog posted:

The Republic rotates the capitol location every few years because they don't want power to become too concentrated in one place.

**Concentrates entire government apparatus and military in one place, in a universe where planet-destroying technology has existed for approximately 40 years**

That's why you should concentrate your government and military within the planet-destroying technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

pospysyl posted:

That's why you should concentrate your government and military within the planet-destroying technology.

The NRA approves.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lampsacus posted:

There will 100% be a droid army helping the rag tag resistance in the next star wars. some of those droids will be prequel droids as a callback. but i wonder what other prequel callbacks there will be? JJ said he wants his movie to sum up all three trilogies so we'll at least see the galactic capital. or was that blown up? I get so confused.

Where did the droids all go? Did they fly away to live their own lives like the cylons or something?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

pospysyl posted:

Those have their own tendency to explode, though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

Where did the droids all go? Did they fly away to live their own lives like the cylons or something?

They all went to live on a farm upstate, where they have plenty of room to run around.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Funnily enough, Hosnian Prime

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

In RotS they were given a "shutdown order" and presumably all just turned off.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Obviously they were never really alive, so they could just be turned off and on. The Emperor probably put them all in storage when he didn't need them any more. I imagine he would've started reactivating them for false-flag attacks and blaming it on the galactic deep state / globalist agenda if the Rebellion hadn't kicked off on schedule.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

galagazombie posted:

In RotS they were given a "shutdown order" and presumably all just turned off.

Except some droids went "Hm...might be a Republic trick" and ignored it

And then never showed up again even though they'd have made for one heck of a Big drat Heroes moment during the finale instead of SPACE WHAAAAAALES

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Remake Hell in the Pacific with one battle droid and one clone trooper marooned on an otherwise deserted planet.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
in rebels there's an enclave of battle droids that never shut off but i forget the entire plot exactly

e:fb

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

in rebels there's an enclave of battle droids that never shut off but i forget the entire plot exactly

e:fb

Ezra, Kanan, and Rex went to investigate and they were captured by the droids. Rex has PTSD. Eventually the Empire found them and attacks, so Ezra reasons that the droids need to help because the droids were fighting the Republic and the Republic is now the Empire. So they work together and went separate ways while escaping.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I still think its dumb the Clones in the mythical "Clone Wars" weren't clones of Jedi or whatever. On playgrounds around the world thats what kids all assumed Obi-Wan was talking about.

The only innovative thing Lucas did was make the clones fight for the "Good Guys".

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mike N Eich posted:

I still think its dumb the Clones in the mythical "Clone Wars" weren't clones of Jedi or whatever. On playgrounds around the world thats what kids all assumed Obi-Wan was talking about.

The only innovative thing Lucas did was make the clones fight for the "Good Guys".

Bring back stormtroopers with lightsabers you cowards

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mike N Eich posted:

The good guys had droids.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mike N Eich posted:

It would have been more innovative to have done what everyone seemed to expect?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

I am hopeful that it will set the record straight on the Trade Federation by bringing them back but at the same time I think that it would continue to indulge in the mistaken belief that the Trade Federation were "villains".

but they are slavers tho

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kidkissinger posted:

but they are slavers tho

When is this established? Or are we talking about the droids?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Here's something I'm a little fuzzy on- was Count Dooku making a good-faith effort to win the war? What was his end game; what was he expecting to get out of his collaboration with Palpatine/Sidious? Did they have an understanding that once Palpatine had acquired dictator-level powers, he'd make peace with the Separatists and Dooku would get his own corner of the galaxy to rule?

Also was kidnapping Palpatine (before the beginning of Ep. 3) some ruse that they cooked up, or did Grevious just go and do it without asking anybody for permission?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mike N Eich posted:

Kids assume a lot of stupid poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He’s wants to overthrow palatine.

He explains it all in Attack of the Clones.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

euphronius posted:

He’s wants to overthrow palatine.

He explains it all in Attack of the Clones.

I'm open to that interpretation, but is that what he explicitly tells Palpatine/Sidious when they hang out? Obviously each knows that the other is going to betray them at the first opportunity, but surely they've come to some agreement about the end of the war that they're both pretending they'll honor.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He asks oni wan to join him to overthrow the Sith.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There were bad books going into the dooku/palps chess game in the old EU but since they were thrown out I assume it's back to being somewhat ambiguous

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I always assumed Palpatine didn't really clue Dooku in on the whole scheme (as evidenced by him, uh, letting him get killed early in ROTS) and Dooku was making a good faith attempt to win the war and was also making a good faith offer to Obi-Wan, though Christopher Lee kinda slept walked through that role so it didn't really come across as sincere.

Palpatine obviously let himself get captured but I don't even know why. I guess to get Anakin closer to him but he already was getting closer to him anyway.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

He asks oni wan to join him to overthrow the Sith.

Yeah, while refusing to mention that he's currently working with the Sith Lord he mentions. He says he learned about the Sith Lord when the Viceroy of the Trade Federation came to him and told him everything. He doesn't tell Obi-Wan, "And I have worked my way closer to the Sith Lord to bring him down." which might have helped convince Obi-Wan to join him, because it would explain some of the shifty things he's been doing.

He also says he will petition immediately to have Obi-Wan's release, and then is the one presiding over his execution. There is no reason to take Dooku at face value during that scene.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, while refusing to mention that he's currently working with the Sith Lord he mentions. He says he learned about the Sith Lord when the Viceroy of the Trade Federation came to him and told him everything. He doesn't tell Obi-Wan, "And I have worked my way closer to the Sith Lord to bring him down." which might have helped convince Obi-Wan to join him, because it would explain some of the shifty things he's been doing.

He also says he will petition immediately to have Obi-Wan's release, and then is the one presiding over his execution. There is no reason to take Dooku at face value during that scene.

He initially says he'll petition for his release, but then Obi-Wan blows off his offer of joining forces to overthrow Sidious, which causes him to decide to refrain from intervening because the Jedi are just as blind as ever. "It may take some time to secure your release," he says sarcastically as he leaves.

Dooku knows that the Confederacy leaders don't want anything to do with Sidious after he got them in deep poo poo on Naboo, so he can't admit to them that he is close to Sidious. The conversation in the cell is being monitored - he can only say things that they know he knows, which is that Darth Sidious controls the Senate.

He does not know the nature of that control, nor that Sidious is the Supreme Chancellor. He knows that the plan is to bring down the Republic from within by playing both sides of the war, and he then intends to off Sidious once his goal (the independence of the Separatists) is secured.

So yes, I'd say he's making a good-faith effort to win the war, albeit using conspiratorial strategies that he can't reveal to his subordinates.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

But Dooku actually knows that Palpatine and Sidious are the same person, right?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

General Dog posted:

Yes of course.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Dooku knows that the Confederacy leaders don't want anything to do with Sidious after he got them in deep poo poo on Naboo, so he can't admit to them that he is close to Sidious.

They confer with Sidious in ROTS before Vader kills all of them. Dooku openly talks about his master in AOTC.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

General Dog posted:

The look Dooku gives Palpatine in ROTS after he says "Do it" is darkly funny because Dooku knows what's up and realizes how much he's getting screwed over. It doesn't work at all if he thinks Palpatine is just the chancellor.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Flying Zamboni posted:

The look Dooku gives Palpatine in ROTS after he says "Do it" is darkly funny because Dooku knows what's up and realizes how much he's getting screwed over. It doesn't work at all if he thinks Palpatine is just the chancellor.

Yeah, if there's any doubt before that pretty much settles it.

My thought on Palpatine is basically that he probably has contingency plans for either outcome of the Clone Wars. He's a master opportunist.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hm, you're right. I had forgotten how exactly that goes down. He is fully in on the "run both sides of the war" plan - but he still can't let on to his subordinates that he knows, and the plan requires putting on a good show of a war.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Dooku's offer to work with Obi-Wan to take down Sidious is genuine, the unspoken caveat however is "then we will be the Sith Master and Apprentice."

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

AndyElusive posted:

Kids assume a lot of stupid poo poo.

Yeah, like droids being alive.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Yeah, like droids being alive.

That is indeed some dumb poo poo.

That droids are people, however, is not.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's been a while since I posted in this thread.

So Palpatine's officially confirmed to be Anakin's baby daddy.
https://screenrant.com/star-wars-anakin-father-emperor/

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That's another Legends EU carry-over, isn't it?

Or was that some sort of obiter dictum from Lucas back in the day? I don't remember but I feel like he's said something about that before.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's heavily heavily implied in the prequel trilogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's been a while since I posted in this thread.

So Palpatine's officially confirmed to be Anakin's baby daddy.
https://screenrant.com/star-wars-anakin-father-emperor/

The artist said not to take that scene literally

Force Vision and all that

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 21, 2018