Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr. Lobe posted:

this hand stabbing, are we talking with a pen? A knife? was it a hesitation wound manageable with a bandaid, or a perforation with an exit wound?

It was, if I remember right, his drawing hand and he had to go to the hospital for it. Had to take time off the strip for it, as you can imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

there's a lot of absolute perverts who actually prefer lovely two-gamers-and-a-couch banter strips

Oh god Penny Arcade does still exist doesn't it

Are people just there to see what new and interesting rhinophyma noses Gabe wants to draw this week?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Penny Arcade isn’t really two gamers and a couch comics. It’s dad comics. I’ve never understood the rancor, it’s generally pretty wholesome and inoffensive

I mean Gabe is still kind of a mediocre person but the comic itself.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Captain Oblivious posted:

Penny Arcade isn’t really two gamers and a couch comics. It’s dad comics. I’ve never understood the rancor, it’s generally pretty wholesome and inoffensive

I mean Gabe is still kind of a mediocre person but the comic itself.

If the past page or so hasn't been enough, 'inoffensive' makes some folks pretty mad here.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

also there's lots of offensive poo poo in there--google "dickwolves"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Dickwolves was almost a decade ago but was indeed legit bad and why I cited Gabe being a kinda lovely person.

It’s fair to say that while he deserves every bit of poo poo he’s ever gotten for the dickwolves thing, and more, it’s pretty unrepresentative of their material for a long time. It’s Dad Comics top to bottom.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I genuinely think on some level he's scared of his fans ever since that Marigold thing.
What happened? Is that the trans girl that the main character got involved with? Oh already answered

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
These days I think a more cogent criticism of Penny Arcade would be "Gamergate happened and is happening and they haven't said a word about it."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Dickwolves was almost a decade ago

Jesus I feel so old

Rand Brittain posted:

These days I think a more cogent criticism of Penny Arcade would be "Gamergate happened and is happening and they haven't said a word about it."

Given their past, it's honestly probably better that they don't. Even if they do the right thing and say something anti-GG, there's always a big risk that they'll still say something stupid.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

Given their past, it's honestly probably better that they don't. Even if they do the right thing and say something anti-GG, there's always a big risk that they'll still say something stupid.

At one of the PAXes, somebody asked about it and they gave a mealy-mouthed answer that said they didn't like what they read on the internet but here at PAX (pause for cheers) they knew they were doing gamers right or somesuch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Gabe and Tycho once drove Harlan Ellison into a frothing, sputtering rage on stage to his face in front of hundreds of people and I still can't decide whether that was a good thing or a bad thing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

Gabe and Tycho once drove Harlan Ellison into a frothing, sputtering rage

isn't that synonymous with "gabe and tycho met Harlan Ellison once"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I used to tell myself that someday I'd stop reading QC but at this point it's clear that I'll be clicking on it 5 days a week until my death or Jeph's. Consistency is powerful

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Today Jeph Jacques illustrates the futility of life. You too could land a seasonal starring role on a stable long-running webcomic, only to step out into the street and be flattened by a giant bronze statue carrying a crate of bananas

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i believe it was actually crushing that crate of bananas under its mighty foot

its probably a sex thing, im getting the feeling all robots are perverts

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
o human stars updating regularly again i think

over at never satisfied the last couple pages have been pretty good/gay but also rip lucy lmao

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 21, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What was the name of that defunct fantasy webcomic? Something like House of Orr? About a guild and everyone had to start their name with the name of the guild?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah

it was good, briefly

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Phy posted:

Today Jeph Jacques illustrates the futility of life. You too could land a seasonal starring role on a stable long-running webcomic, only to step out into the street and be flattened by a giant bronze statue carrying a crate of bananas

They will rebuild her symbolic rear end which Jeff just had to include in the comic for reasons.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
avs what is your opinion on reyndardine from gunnerkrigg

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tollymain posted:

avs what is your opinion on reyndardine from gunnerkrigg
i love his toy form because it looks like my dog, even the expressions

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Hogge Wild posted:

They will rebuild her symbolic rear end which Jeff just had to include in the comic for reasons.
I have no idea why I lose interest in comics like Gunnerkrigg and Lackadaisy but I've been following this loving comic faithfully for a decade.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

If you have no expectations, you can never be disappointed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

I have no idea why I lose interest in comics like Gunnerkrigg and Lackadaisy but I've been following this loving comic faithfully for a decade.

No idea what Gunnerkrigg's case is, but for me it was the long dry spells between updates that killed my interest in Lackadaisy which is a shame because if any comic deserves to have long hiatuses, it's Lackadaisy because those pages deserve every second of time Tracy puts into them.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gunnerkrigg has this thing where serial readers tend to drop off because of the pace right before a new and exciting development takes place

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I just find Loup offputting enough as a twist that I'm considering taking a break from reading, personally.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

What was the name of that defunct fantasy webcomic? Something like House of Orr? About a guild and everyone had to start their name with the name of the guild?

Yup.

http://houseoforr.tumblr.com/

Its dedicated website is dead. The comic just...stopped updating. I don't recall any of the 4 creators ever posting anything with the comic about its indefinite hiatus. Nolan T. Jones, one of the writers, posted on his tumblr two years ago saying: "“Indefinite hiatus.” Another comic project comes first, and then some searching for new artists… but I have more I want to say with those characters. No timeline, just intentions." His Tumblr hasn't been updated in two years. His twitter hasn't been active for a few months, and the last time he mentioned Orr on it was in 2014.
Riley Dutton hasn't ever mentioned House of Orr in his twitter. Richard Zayas hasn't mentioned it since 2014.
The artist, Victoria Grace Elliott, has been doing her own webcomic, Balderdash, but it updates irregularly (though she has a job with Powerhouse Animation Studios). She also hasn't mentioned Orr since 2014.

A shame, really. It was pretty good.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

House of Orr taught me the Petals around the Rose game which I have taught to a couple of teachers who may have taught it to students. Fun comic, I kind of miss it and also No Scrying.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They've been working on a printed comic, but I cant remember what the hell it was. Some sci fi thing with four armed aliens?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tollymain posted:

gunnerkrigg has this thing where serial readers tend to drop off because of the pace right before a new and exciting development takes place

I literally cannot understand people dropping Gunnerkrigg due to pacing, Tom is really consistent with updates and the pace has always suited the story just fine.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
people have different attention spans and altho gunnerkrigg is constantly chugging along the pace is fairly deliberate

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Tollymain posted:

Yeah the trick to Gunnerkrigg is forcing yourself to go back and read the chapter from start to finish after it's complete; at times when I haven't done this for a while I've gotten totally lost.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
doesn't sound like a good comic

e: speaking of, dresden kodak updated. value of the page was 10k in patreon

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 22, 2018

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Rexxed posted:

House of Orr taught me the Petals around the Rose game which I have taught to a couple of teachers who may have taught it to students. Fun comic, I kind of miss it and also No Scrying.

no scrying was good, as was the elf inn. the guy's wow comic was decent, but not as good. has he made anything else?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

SardonicTyrant posted:

It updates regularly and "something" happens in each page?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It could also be argued that little enough happens that you never really lose the plot. You'd have to have skipped a couple of weeks of comics to not understand what's going on in whatever given latest page is up. The only thing you need to keep in mind page to page is stuff like "this is Roko, she's an ex-cop" compared to, say, "Annie went into the forest where one of the two resident gods devoured the other and attempted to assault the Court. To ensure their privacy while he spoke to her, he ensured another Annie returned to the Court much earlier and has been living the life the Annie we follow has missed. She has had a significantly developed relationship with her father who until now has been very distant and severe due to his issues expressing himself to people he loves" etc etc, and forgetting any part of that makes the current plot hard to follow so you might be more likely to feel like you're not keeping up and give up.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I should mention I have also been faithfully reading Schlock Mercenary for a decade as well, and I lost track of what is actually going on years ago.

Am I...am I a bad reader?:ohdear:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Readers are never bad, commenters are always just The Worst.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im commenting right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hogge Wild posted:

doesn't sound like a good comic

e: speaking of, dresden kodak updated. value of the page was 10k in patreon

It's... it's mostly talking heads with some backgrounds.