Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Mokinokaro posted:

It's a 3-4 hour game.

I still don't get that argument. Game length doesn't equal quality and it's basically the price of a couple cheap movie tickets.

Why don't you buy it for him? Think of the brief warm glow of happiness at aiding your fellow man that will suffuse you, it's certainly equal to 20.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Mega64 posted:

What types of games do you like? I mean in general, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, and Smash Ultimate are the big games so far, but there's a little bit of everything now. Lots of good indie games that you can make portable now, and a few other exclusives that might grab you depending on what genres you like.

I picked up Zelda as I figured that would be a good starter choice.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Enjoy! That game gets near-universal praise for good reason.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Was it mentioned that Neo Geo version of Puzzle Bobble is up on eShop?

Well, just to be sure: Puzzle Bobble is up on eShop.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
This thread is too horny to be allowed on the Switch

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

It's almost like some people don't have as much disposable income as some other people

Which is fair. Just saying $20 for 3-4 hours of quality beats $60 for a 40-50 hour slog for me a lot of the time.

If RedneckWithGuns is looking for a longer experience, Gris isn't it. I'm sure it'll be on sale within six months.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Which is fair. Just saying $20 for 3-4 hours of quality beats $60 for a 40-50 hour slog for me a lot of the time.

If RedneckWithGuns is looking for a longer experience, Gris isn't it. I'm sure it'll be on sale within six months.

But the choice isn't between a short quality game and a long slog. There are plenty of games on the Switch that are quality experiences and long.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I grabbed megaman x legacy collection 1. It lets you switch between the english and japanese versions. Are there any interesting differences between megaman x 1-4 and rockman x 1-4?

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Are there any docks out there that are safe to use? There are still a bunch of rumours going around about how they can brick your system, but I'd expect those issues to be ironed out by now.

Not having to take a dock that could easily get damaged if you stuff it in a bag would be super nice.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
With games it's not as easy as just good/bad, long/short though. Like movies they have pacing, and sometimes a game needs to be short to be good.

Some of my favorite games of all time have been pretty short, and for the better. Would Undertale be as good, or a better game if it was 60 hours long? I don't think it would. Or a game like Minit, which perfectly delivers on its gimmick and never gets old before the game is over. Drag it out and you would just have a worse game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Are there any docks out there that are safe to use? There are still a bunch of rumours going around about how they can brick your system, but I'd expect those issues to be ironed out by now.

Not having to take a dock that could easily get damaged if you stuff it in a bag would be super nice.

The official Nintendo dock is the only safe one to use. Do not use other docks.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I just bought keep talking and nobody explodes. Now I all I need is friends.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

With games it's not as easy as just good/bad, long/short though. Like movies they have pacing, and sometimes a game needs to be short to be good.

Some of my favorite games of all time have been pretty short, and for the better. Would Undertale be as good, or a better game if it was 60 hours long? I don't think it would. Or a game like Minit, which perfectly delivers on its gimmick and never gets old before the game is over. Drag it out and you would just have a worse game.

I didn't say anything about the length of the game automatically making it better or worse. Just that length is a real consideration for many people.

It can be the opposite too. Many people just don't have the time for a 50+ hour RPG unless they want it to be the only game they play for months.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 21, 2018

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Turns out adventures of lolo was in the NES app thing. Played through it in 2 sessions. Now I want lolo 2 and 3 but they dont seem to be available in the 3ds virtual console...loving hell I want them SO BAD, just GIVE ME LOLO 2 AND 3 NINTENDO

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The Nintendo dock is huge for no reason. The entire functional part fits in the palm of my hand.

I bought one of these and it was super easy to swap the innards. I now have an official Nintendo dock that fits in my pocket.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

I didn't say anything about the length of the game automatically making it better or worse. Just that length is a real consideration for many people.

It can be the opposite too. Many people just don't have the time for a 50+ hour RPG unless they want it to be the only game they play for months.
For sure, I'm not trying to call you or anyone else out on anything. Just stating a thing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Diabolik Lovers is coming to the Switch! RIP, Vita

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P77IGTWquI

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

No. 6 posted:

The Nintendo dock is huge for no reason. The entire functional part fits in the palm of my hand.

I bought one of these and it was super easy to swap the innards. I now have an official Nintendo dock that fits in my pocket.

My mechanical engineer brain is concerned about what that's going to do to the USBC port on the console over time. The angle and center of gravity of the console is going to enact continuous force in the transverse direction at the port where the OEM dock doesn't.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

My mechanical engineer brain is concerned about what that's going to do to the USBC port on the console over time. The angle and center of gravity of the console is going to enact continuous force in the transverse direction at the port where the OEM dock doesn't.

My completely non-engineer brain is concerned about the console just sticking out loosely like that, only pretty much held in place by the charger port - what happens if you press down on it or pull on it too forcefully, or if it gets bumped or something? I'm imagining it being really easy to damage your switch that way. I've seen too many USB dongles ruined when something presses down on them when they're sticking out of a computer. It seems like it'd be safer if it was flat against it instead of at an angle.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Captain Flame Guy posted:

You can find third party docks that are currently working fine. The Nyko dock that ended up bricking Switches worked fine up until a firmware update made it not work fine in the worst way possible. Maybe that won't happen again, but I can't see the risk being worth it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Licarn posted:

lol if u don't don't use ur boner to prop up the Switch while lying in bed

sorry ladies

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Wamdoodle posted:

lol if u don't don't use ur boner to prop up the Switch while lying in bed

sorry ladies

All those nights playing XC2

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a SenKags game better suited to that

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

My completely non-engineer brain is concerned about the console just sticking out loosely like that, only pretty much held in place by the charger port - what happens if you press down on it or pull on it too forcefully, or if it gets bumped or something? I'm imagining it being really easy to damage your switch that way. I've seen too many USB dongles ruined when something presses down on them when they're sticking out of a computer. It seems like it'd be safer if it was flat against it instead of at an angle.

i don't know much either but my brain's screaming that less surface area is probably not a good thing for a device designed to hold a smaller but heavier device.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

After some smash party I woke up today and found two joycons missing one shoulder button. I never knew the switch can randomly despawn them...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You push down on the shoulder buttons, not pull up

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

No. 6 posted:

The advantage to the official dock's form factor is that your console made for children can't have the USB-C plug broken off when kids go up and gently caress with it because they don't know better.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Heath posted:

The opinion of Owl Boy is so consistently negative that I'm wondering what the story could possibly be

Everyone, literally everyone, nonstop treats you like poo poo and they hate you. By the end of the game youll hate Owlboy too because everything happens because a) owlboy and his friends suck b) fate conspires to poo poo on him as hard as possible despite good intentions and c) it is literally his fault at the end.

Im not joking when I say the following: the end of the game is everyone goading you into committing suicide and you do it because your life means the least

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
owlboy is a very content-thin game whose only memorable traits were its artwork and its relentless and baffling cruelty

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Licarn posted:

actually this thread is censored on the ps4 and xbox, only the switch has the unaltered japanese version of the thread

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Oxxidation posted:

owlboy is a very content-thin game whose only memorable traits were its artwork and its relentless and baffling cruelty

Same with Cuphead.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Barudak posted:

Everyone, literally everyone, nonstop treats you like poo poo and they hate you. By the end of the game youll hate Owlboy too because everything happens because a) owlboy and his friends suck b) fate conspires to poo poo on him as hard as possible despite good intentions and c) it is literally his fault at the end.

Im not joking when I say the following: the end of the game is everyone goading you into committing suicide and you do it because your life means the least

Sounds like a nice change of pace

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oscar Wild posted:

Same with Cuphead.

I haven't played Cuphead but every video I see of it, it doesn't actually look that hard. It looks completely fair. Does it only look that way? Everytime I see someone doing terribly I feel like I can see exactly where they hosed up, not the game. It doesn't look as hard as, say, Mega Man 1, which I can beat without being hit (this is mostly due to repetition and muscle memory though). PS Rock Monster is always buster only

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Your Computer posted:

actually this thread is censored on the ps4 and xbox, only the switch has the unaltered japanese version of the thread

I can't get over the PS4 version of Nekopara being rated E.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Barudak posted:

I could've sworn the game got good reviews when it first came out. This description actually makes it seem interesting. How's the actual gameplay? Does it have decent platforming mechanics?

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I haven't played Cuphead but every video I see of it, it doesn't actually look that hard. It looks completely fair. Does it only look that way? Everytime I see someone doing terribly I feel like I can see exactly where they hosed up, not the game. It doesn't look as hard as, say, Mega Man 1, which I can beat without being hit (this is mostly due to repetition and muscle memory though). PS Rock Monster is always buster only

All those videos are just like Dark Souls videos, where it's someone beating an enemy/boss which makes it look easier than it actually is. Cuphead is completely fair, but it will take you several attempts before figuring out all the quirks that an boss displays. And even then, the randomness of certain shots which require platforming to evade can be tough.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

No. 6 posted:

The Nintendo dock is huge for no reason.

Honestly the first thing I said when I saw a Switch in person for the first time was "Wow the whole thing is so small!" The dock is tiny.

Actually lol, just lol at your life if you don't use inductive charging to power your Switch.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

It's a much less deep Mega Man. It looks great, but only controls ok, I found it a little floaty for the punishment you take if you make a mistake. There just isnt a lot of substance under the gorgeous style.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That hand drawn animated style always sacrifices hitbox perspicacity, definitely a trade off

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Didn't Owlboy take like ten years to make, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That hand drawn animated style always sacrifices hitbox perspicacity, definitely a trade off

I’ve never played cuphead but the first time i saw it, my first thought was “I bet the hit boxes are not great”